Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,850 members, 7,844,764 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! (9985 Views)

Is Ojukwu A National Hero Or An Igbo Hero? / Ojukwu: A Giant Who Lived For Others - Prof Achebe's Tribute To Ojukwu / Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by kiwi992(m): 3:34pm On Oct 17, 2008
Fellow Nigerians,

Peace be unto our country.

There are no heroes, villains or cowards in any war.  The Nigerian war was a very sad event that still traumatises me whenever I think about it. 

I am from Bakana in the Niger Delta.  As a kid living in Lagos with my dad, I saw how the IBOS (and indeed, people from the then East) were being massacred by the Hausa soldiers on Carter Bridge, Lagos (I don't know if it's still there) but I did see the massacre with my own eyes as my dad and I were driving towards Yaba from Ikoyi.

The Hausa soldiers were killing everybody right outside Ebute Metta market (the market that you come to, once you've crossed Carter Bridge).  I think it's called Ebute Metta market but please correct me if I'm wrong.

My dad's best friends who were Ibos were killed without being shown any mercy for just being Ibos.  Yes, for just being Ibos!  My dad was saved by his Yoruba friend.  The Hausa soldiers were shouting 'yan miri, yan miri' and just shooting and killing everybody as long as you came from the East.

We had to run away from Lagos to Ibadan with the help of my dad's friend and then on to Port Harcourt, eventually reaching Bakana.  I can never forget that.  Never!  I just pray that there should be no more war in Nigeria because it leaves a long-lasting impression in people's minds.

Despite what Quota preaches (as well as his tribal sentiments), I can see why he feels the way he does.  I really could, because I saw the Ibos and other Easterners being massacred by the Hausa soldiers.

Then again, the Biafrans evacuated my town (Bakana) and made it a garrison town for supporting the Federal Government.  Several hundred people from the town perished in the Ibo hinterland.  Some were saved by the Ikwerres at Abonnema Wharf in Port Harcourt.  The rest that survived suffered needlessly in the hands of the Ibos.

Ever since leaving Nigeria in November of 1974, I have never been back home.  I don't even know what the country looks like right now.  Only ever heard of Abuja.    

Though an adult now (obviously), I have been psychologically scarred for life, for witnessing the killings of innocent people whenever I think about it.  Seeing dead bodies strewn all over the place - people being killed for no apparent reason.  

A needless war it might have been but you guys must look at the circumstances that brought it about.  Gowon or Ojukwu, none of them was a hero, villain or coward.  It was a painful war that had to be fought for attrocities that were committed against the peoples of the East, particularly the Ibos.  I am calling a spade a spade here.  Doubt me if you like but I don't care.  This is the truth and the Ibos are right in the way that they feel today. Worst still, they have been marginalised in Nigeria.  They never asked to be massacred, did they? 

I could see why the Ibos tried to secede.  Wouldn't you, when the Hausa soldiers massacred the Ibos (and other Easterners) for being who they were.  Let the truth be told, okay?  Truth is truth and the truth is always bitter.

In case you are surprised to hear this from me, remember, I am a Kalabari and definitely not an Ibo and we the peoples of the Niger Delta never supported the Ibos in their war efforts.  My people knew what the Ibos were like, from ancient times, living as neighbours, and knew their grand strategy of wanting to annex every other tribe into theirs.  This was why they didn't get the support from my people.  If we had supported them, I can tell you right here that the Biafran war would have succeeded.     

So, for those of you asking for a hero or coward, I can tell you that there are no heroes, cowards or villains in any war - I just hope that Nigerians would learn from it and put aside tribal sentiments and move forward as one country.

My people, including Adaka Boro, Ken Tsaro Wiwa, and many others have been killed by the Nigerian government for fighting a legitimate cause.  Still, I feel that Nigeria should remain one, perhaps I'm crazy or just believe in the fact that united we stand, divided we fall.

Finally, I would caution the people in this forum that triumphalism would not help heal old wounds, and to think carefully before expressing such sentiments because if there were another war, Nigeria would never be the same again.  It's landscape would definitely change forever.

kiwi992.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 17, 2008
nigerians were, are and will always be foolish; no purpose, no direction, no reasoning, no regrets and no remorse. . . . oh my gosh. . . . shame on this set of people.
What a wasted generation and resourses. . . .

kiwi992:

Fellow Nigerians,

Peace be unto our country.

There are no heroes, villains or cowards in any war.  The Nigerian war was a very sad event that still traumatises me whenever I think about it. 

I am from Bakana in the Niger Delta.  As a kid living in Lagos with my dad, I saw how the IBOS (and indeed, people from the then East) were being massacred by the Hausa soldiers on Carter Bridge, Lagos (I don't know if it's still there) but I did see the massacre with my own eyes as my dad and I were driving towards Yaba from Ikoyi.

The Hausa soldiers were killing everybody right outside Ebute Metta market (the market that you come to, once you've crossed Carter Bridge).  I think it's called Ebute Metta market but please correct me if I'm wrong.

My dad's best friends who were Ibos were killed without being shown any mercy for just being Ibos.  Yes, for just being Ibos!  My dad was saved by his Yoruba friend.  The Hausa soldiers were shouting 'yan miri, yan miri' and just shooting and killing everybody as long as you came from the East.

We had to run away from Lagos to Ibadan with the help of my dad's friend and then on to Port Harcourt, eventually reaching Bakana.  I can never forget that.  Never!  I just pray that there should be no more war in Nigeria because it leaves a long-lasting impression in people's minds.

Despite what Quota preaches (as well as his tribal sentiments), I can see why he feels the way he does.  I really could, because I saw the Ibos and other Easterners being massacred by the Hausa soldiers.

Then again, the Biafrans evacuated my town (Bakana) and made it a garrison town for supporting the Federal Government.  Several hundred people from the town perished in the Ibo hinterland.  Some were saved by the Ikwerres at Abonnema Wharf in Port Harcourt.  The rest that survived suffered needlessly in the hands of the Ibos.

Ever since leaving Nigeria in November of 1974, I have never been back home.  I don't even know what the country looks like right now.  Only ever heard of Abuja.    

Though an adult now (obviously), I have been psychologically scarred for life, for witnessing the killings of innocent people whenever I think about it.  Seeing dead bodies strewn all over the place - people being killed for no apparent reason.  

A needless war it might have been but you guys must look at the circumstances that brought it about.  Gowon or Ojukwu, none of them was a hero, villain or coward.  It was a painful war that had to be fought for attrocities that were committed against the peoples of the East, particularly the Ibos.  I am calling a spade a spade here.  Doubt me if you like but I don't care.  This is the truth and the Ibos are right in the way that they feel today. Worst still, they have been marginalised in Nigeria.  They never asked to be massacred, did they? 

I could see why the Ibos tried to secede.  Wouldn't you, when the Hausa soldiers massacred the Ibos (and other Easterners) for being who they were.  Let the truth be told, okay?  Truth is truth and the truth is always bitter.

In case you are surprised to hear this from me, remember, I am a Kalabari and definitely not an Ibo and we the peoples of the Niger Delta never supported the Ibos in their war efforts.  My people knew what the Ibos were like, from ancient times, living as neighbours, and knew their grand strategy of wanting to annex every other tribe into theirs.  This was why they didn't get the support from my people.  If we had supported them, I can tell you right here that the Biafran war would have succeeded.     

So, for those of you asking for a hero or coward, I can tell you that there are no heroes, cowards or villains in any war - I just hope that Nigerians would learn from it and put aside tribal sentiments and move forward as one country.

My people, including Adaka Boro, Ken Tsaro Wiwa, and many others have been killed by the Nigerian government for fighting for a legitimate cause.  Still, I feel that Nigeria should remain one, perhaps I'm crazy or just believe in the fact that united we stand, divided we fall.

Finally, I would caution the people in this forum that triumphalism would not help heal old wounds, and to think carefully before expressing such sentiments because if there were another war, Nigeria would never be the same again.  It's landscape would definitely change forever.

kiwi992.    

Kiwi

I sincerely sympathize with you on the trauma you are facing because of the injustice against humanity during the Biafra war.  But at the same time, its clear that you can never understand what it feels like to be Igbo before, during and after the war.
Its a shame that some people will wake up one morning and begin to ask the Igbos to move on with one "nigeria" without showing any form of remorse.

@topic

To other tribes; ojukwu should be seen as a coward, but to the Igbos; Ojukwu will always remain their Martin Luther King Jnr.

Truth hurts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by PastorPLC: 3:59pm On Oct 17, 2008
@Kiwi992,

Your post is nice and I love your wisdom. Though, Northerners had no such power in Lagos to masscre Igbos if Yorubas had not helped them. The masscre in Lagos was not actually the way you posted it. The killings in the North was much but it was all that much in Western Nigeria (Yoruba)
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by boyscout: 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2008
@ darefestus

I advise you read in between the line the thread from Kiwi992. You will discover that your hands will be forced to do something you find yourself in such positions

Not trying to justify the war or the killings. But when the situation demanded a decisive action, The IKEMBA stood up.

the greatest battles were won without war and bloodshed

On this quote please educate me more and show me unambiguous example.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by tangent(f): 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2008
ojukwu is neither a hero nor a coward.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by ScanLess: 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2008
Bily Mumu or whatever you call yourself , i percieve that you are suffering from a ghastly combination of ignorance, idleness, ficklemindedness and crass idiocy all in one deadly mix. I have read your post over and over, but i can't understand what you are trying to achieve here. oh i get it , some if not all of you NDs here believe that Ndigbo is your problem, hence you find fault with everything Igbo. But what else will cause  you to open your mouth that you use to eat bonga fish and periwnkle to call the Ikemba a coward. But may i ask you why you like to decieve your self instead of seeking valid solutions to your problem. your post stinks of idiocy and illiteracy.
---------------------------

Ojukwu took the simplest option: he ran away like a chicken at the site of the hawk. He left Biafra in total devastation and ruin to his 2IC late Lt. Col. Philip Effiong , who took the 3rd option: he surrendered, but without concession. If Ojukwu had negotiated the surrender himself, he would have been able to squeeze certain concessions from the government. Ojukwu only care about his neck!
--------------
So he ran away like a chicken at the sigth of the hawk; the same hawk he has fought for 3 years from the trenches and not from airconditioned office like Gowon, encouraged only by the British to stay put and not flee from Lagos at the heroic advance of the Biafran troops deep into the west at begining stages of the war.

So he left Biafra in total devastation and ruin; same which was caused by the genocidal,homicidal,infanticidal and demented Nigerian troops.

So he cared only about his neck; quite amazing for a man that funded the war with his father's wealth, and went to the trenches !! eh kwa!!.

--------------------------
Years later, he was pardoned by the Shagari regime, bribed and joined NPN; which allowed the party to further penetrate eastern Nigeria and captured some states. He tried to get back some of his properties in Lagos, and married a girl of  his grand daughter age after going through bitter war of words with the father. this guy is shameless!
----------------
Are you aware that it was his brothers in that party (the then ruling party) like the Late Chuba Okadigbo that worked tirelessly to secure the so-called pardon and facilitate his return. Which party did you want him to join "Bily MUMU Party" ?. i see you are jealous about his wife; grin grin you been dey eye the chic but your periwinkle mouth no reach tongue tongue
-------------------------
More than 2 million people died in the war, Ibo properties were lost and confiscated, life were shattered and destroyed, Ibo were being denied their legitimate  share of national cake and federal positions, but all Ojukwu could think of is to fight for a girl and his landed property. the guy is a disgrace
--------------------
you speak as if you care about Ndigbo and their properties but the same properties include the ones your NDs occupy till today in PH, and you are praying for another incident of abandoned properties with this your new vain hope in MEND criminal activities. When will you wake up to reeality, okpo !!

@ Luca
Since you go by a mafioso name, you should be familiar with their language, what do they call people like you ? RATS !!, thats what , you desert a ship once it starts to sink. both NDs and Ndigbo were being slaughtered in the north prior to the war, both ran back to the east and declare Biafra, if you were so much against the declaration why did't you opt out from the begining and declare a seperate Ijaw/ogoni republic or whatever then. why stay and sabotage the Biafran struggle? are you guys not the real cowards ?. you make so much noise about this your oil , please know that Imo and Abia states also have enough crude oil to sustain them. Neverthless , Enugu, Onitsha, Aba, Umuahia, Owerri were all built with coal and palm money not crude oil money so we don't owe you guys nothing. During the Biafran war Igbo engineers drilled and refined this oil you make noise about, but till today no ND has ever established a functional oil company, but Ndigbo have that, in addition to our manufacturing enterprises which the northern hegemony are afraid of what it could develop into, so no support from the FG. You think that you get to drill oil by getting up in the morning and start puffing and soaking till evening ?, please go get yourself some basic education lol ! cool
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by dayokanu(m): 5:45pm On Oct 17, 2008
the greatest battles were won without war and bloodshed

On this quote please educate me more and show me unambiguous example.

Read up Mahatma Ghandi
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by QuotaSyste(m): 6:13pm On Oct 17, 2008
@kiwi992, bros i feel you and i sympathise with you. Fact is that all these Yorubas and awusas doesn't know what it's like being Igbo person in that their jungle makeshift country. The masacre of Igbos in Lagos was by the Yorubas and awusa combined. Without the help of Yorubas, how can awusa people have the guts to kill any people in masse in Yoruba territory? No way. Fact is, they connived with them. Check out this video, it was shut at the same time you told in your post above and that was in Lagos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQkIQuK7A50  We shall never forget and there is nothing like one nigeria together with this cannibals. Biafra must be realized and no one can stop us on this. Forget about the slowpoke gowon and his propaganda in that video of what he believe about the majority of Igbos wanting to stay in his evil one nigeria.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by ifyalways(f): 8:34pm On Oct 17, 2008
In some quarters,hes a Hero while in some quarters hes . . .an Unknown solider.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by nigeria12: 9:53pm On Oct 17, 2008
hero
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by Ellyptical: 10:30pm On Oct 17, 2008
First of all,
thanks ScanLess! You are informed!
L & G,
When I think of what Biafra would have been if we had seceded, i really feel like weeping. Biafra would have at least been an African Technology Superpower and when I say it I mean it with evidence. It takes the natural gift of being technologically gifted to be able to achieve these in the midst of terrible war:-
[b]"In the three years of the war necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years of heroic bound, we leapt across the great chasm that separates knowledge from know-how. We built rockets, and we designed and built our own delivery systems. We guided our rockets. We guided them far; we guided them accurately. For three years, blockaded without hope of import, we maintained all our vehicles. The state extracted and refined petrol, individuals refined petrol in their back gardens. We built and maintained our airports, maintained them under heavy bombardment. Despite the heavy bombardment, we recovered so quickly after each raid that we were able to maintain the record for the busiest airport in the continent of Africa. We spoke to the world through telecommunication system engineered by local ingenuity; the world heard us and spoke back to us! We built armored cars and tanks. We modified aircraft from trainer to fighters, from passenger aircraft to bombers. In the three years of freedom we had broken the technological barrier. . . .[/b]
http://www.igbocalgary.ca/aboutus.html
That was the speech delivered towards the end of the war by Ojukwu. It was also on wikipedia.
What the Igbos achieved in the 3 years of turmoil, the failed Nigeria has not been able to achieve even up till her last 48th Anniversary! . . . . at least a functioning refinery!
Why then will the jealous and cunning Yoruba and Unimaginative/backward Hausa people not be afraid of letting Biafra go for fear that Biafra will overtake them in a short while? Do you know that if you speak to any elderly man that was of age during the war, he'll still tell you how the Igbos built bombs locally! My neighbor told me a lot. The locally made bombs were called "ogbunigwe" which means "massive killer" in igbo language. They were made from gunpowder which was in turn made from garri!
I was told the Igbos built a biafra radio station and mounted the antennas on palm trees! The lousy nigerian army must have been busy looking for the MTN-mast-like transmitter from which they were broadcasting to biafrans . . . no knowing we had perfected stealth military techniques. The Uli air strip was simply a road that was converted to an airforce base. . . .not just an ordinary airforce base but a stealth airforce base that was invisible from airspace during the day and used to launch night counter strikes!

Need I say more?
Read this too
Further feelings of injustice were caused by Nigeria, during the war, changing its currency so that Biafran supplies of pre-war Nigerian currency were no longer honoured and then, at the end of the war, offering only N£20 to easterners on exchange of their Biafran currency. This was seen as a deliberate policy to hold back the Igbo middle class, leaving them with little wealth to expand their business interests. - wikipedia
Every Igbo man lost all the money he had in banks and was entitled to 20 naira ONLY!!! Today we virtually control the economy of Nigeria in Business, Importation, Automobiles and even in Economic Administration . . . .the likes of Soludos and the Okonjo-Iwealas. What a fast come-back. Has the hausa man been able to meet up even when they have had power for almost as long as i have been on this earth as a child and a youth.
Igbos are destined to be great. The hausa man and the yoruba man are afraid of where they see us going and they are determined that since they may not have the natural inborn gifts that are required to reach there, they must hold us down with them. The God of the Jews is still the God of the Igbos! Like the Jews (of whom we descended) we will get to the promised land of Biafra.
Its simple logic!
When a man is sinking, he tries to hold on to any thing he sees to stay help him stay afloat or to drag it down with himself. Whereas a man who knows that he can stay afloat will always try to let go of any unnecessary weight that will drag him down.
The Igbos know they can stay afloat and are ready to let go of any unnecessary burden. The Yorubas and the Hausas are by their actions telling us that they are sinking! Holding on to the Igbos to stay afloat!
My Dear Yorubas and Hausas in the house please prove me wrong and prove to us that you can stay afloat by saying "These Igbos . . . let them go we do not need them"
I have never had a Yoruba or Hausa Nairalander say that!
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by lucabrasi(m): 12:24am On Oct 18, 2008
ScanLess:

@ Luca
Since you go by a mafioso name, you should be familiar with their language, what do they call people like you ? RATS !!, thats what , you desert a ship once it starts to sink. both NDs and Ndigbo were being slaughtered in the north prior to the war, both ran back to the east and declare Biafra, if you were so much against the declaration why did't you opt out from the begining and declare a seperate Ijaw/ogoni republic or whatever then. why stay and sabotage the Biafran struggle? are you guys not the real cowards ?. you make so much noise about this your oil , please know that Imo and Abia states also have enough crude oil to sustain them. Neverthless , Enugu, Onitsha, Aba, Umuahia, Owerri were all built with coal and palm money not crude oil money so we don't owe you guys nothing. During the Biafran war Igbo engineers drilled and refined this oil you make noise about, but till today no ND has ever established a functional oil company, but Ndigbo have that, in addition to our manufacturing enterprises which the northern hegemony are afraid of what it could develop into, so no support from the FG. You think that you get to drill oil by getting up in the morning and start puffing and soaking till evening ?, please go get yourself some basic education lol ! cool
what ship and what did anyone do to be called a rat?while nobody is justifying the evil that happened during biafra and acknowledging the part that everybody played,the same way u cannot hold nd responsible for what saro wiwa did is the same way you cannot hold awolowo or ojukwu responsible for whatever they did wrong,its funny you didnt comment on this particular comment from kiwi
kiwi992:

Then again, the Biafrans evacuated my town (Bakana) and made it a garrison town for supporting the Federal Government. Several hundred people from the town perished in the Ibo hinterland. Some were saved by the Ikwerres at Abonnema Wharf in Port Harcourt. The rest that survived suffered needlessly in the hands of the Ibos.

In case you are surprised to hear this from me, remember, I am a Kalabari and definitely not an Ibo and we the peoples of the Niger Delta never supported the Ibos in their war efforts. My people knew what the Ibos were like, from ancient times, living as neighbours, and knew their grand strategy of wanting to annex every other tribe into theirs. This was why they didn't get the support from my people. If we had supported them, I can tell you right here that the Biafran war would have succeeded.

what cooment dyu have for his assertion about the ibo wanting to annex every tribe into theirs,isnt that as bad as nigeria forcing you ppl to stay ??
fair enough the ibos made bombs and radio stations and the like,so tell me whats stopping any ibo from making it now,or is there a cospiracy theory against engineers of igbo extraction even today to use their skills in making stuffs?the jews after 6 million down didnt dwell on the pogrom but dusted their backside and got back to work,same thing with the japanese who didnt wallow in self pity but got back to re building so what are you on about,which oil did the ibo drill?please show me a link or educate me pls,you say the niger delta has not built a single oil company?well that should be obvious to you by now that they are facing the same sabotage of corrupt politicians majority of nigerians are facing,you are opening your mouth now tell me if anambra,imo,enugu,ebonyi e.t.c are better off than nd
tell me if the igbo governors are not corrupt or their states are better than the rest of nigeria?after all they are ibo and superior to the rest of nigeria if you dont know the import of your assertion of ethnic supremacy maybe you should go and read the nazi story.
btw i asked you why your governors are still collecting their state allocation,hope you r not planning to use nigeria's money to fund your biafra,remember you said you have coals and palm oil grin
the northern hegemony might be afraid,but statistics will tell you yorubas,nd s e.t.c are doing as good as the ibos if not better in some areas so please bin all that conspiracy theory,yes we know oil is not drilled by gettn up and scooping but show me your history books where it showed that the ibos were the first to drill oil in oloibiri
@kiwi992
i feel you and i cannot begin to imagine what you must have gone through,just seeing photos and videos of what happened in liberia and rwanda traumatised me, however remember the proverb that if you close your eyes cause you dont want to see a bad person,you wont realise when a good person will go past while closing your eyes,nigeria is your country and a whole lot is happening there,things have improved sou owe it to urself and what you experienced and to ur children tovisit at least once and then make up your mind
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by Ellyptical: 1:54am On Oct 18, 2008
@ Lucabrasi
I did not say drill! I said refine! Moreover drilling is not the money making operation in Oil and Gas. Its refining and exporting that brings the money to a Nation. In Nigeria today don't we drill? We do. Do we refine? You can answer better. We export crude and import refined oil. Thats why we are not profiting as much as we should from oil.
As for the facts . . . read here (Scroll near the bottom to the "Conclusion" )

[b]The Research and Production Directorate (RAP) produced 56% of arms used in Biafra. The "Ojukwu Bunker" in Umuahia also demonstrates that it is possible to build underground tunnels to decongest traffics in Nigerian cities. Biafra also refined crude oil using only local materials. Refineries built at Uzuakoli and Amandugba were capable of refining 50,000 gallons of fuel per day. Yet today, Nigeria imports refined fuel because none of her refineries is working at full capacity. Biafran chemists also produced 10 tons of pure salt per month. It was estimated to increase up to 50 tons if production continued. In the area of consumer goods, items which were usually imported such as toilet soaps, face-creams, Vaseline, biscuits, liquor, dyes, protein extracts and engine oil were all produced by Biafran scientists and engineers. Biafran engineers in the United Kingdom were also able to design plastic housing units for refugees. In fact, with regard to the principle of self-reliance which is what Africa so badly needs today, Biafra was a pace-setter. If this breakthrough were integrated and harnessed by Nigeria after the war, her crushing external debt would have been contained at least to a certain extent.[/b]

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/nnamani/biafra_retrospect2.htm
Great Biafra!
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by Kobojunkie: 2:01am On Oct 18, 2008
Ellyptical:

First of all,
thanks ScanLess! You are informed!
L & G,
When I think of what Biafra would have been if we had seceded, i really feel like weeping. Biafra would have at least been an African Technology Superpower and when I say it I mean it with evidence. It takes the natural gift of being technologically gifted to be able to achieve these in the midst of terrible war:-

COULD DA!! WOULD DA!!! SHOULD DAs!!!! Na so everyone they claim!!! Biafra would have been this and that. Aren't the people who were to be of Biafra the same ibos we have today?? What have they accomplished so far to support the fantasy you have above?? Niger Bridge will soon collapse and you dey here dey dream say what never happened would have been the magic. Keep dreaming!! that seems what we do best as Nigerians, ROFLMAO!!!

Ellyptical:

[b]"In the three years of the war necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years of heroic bound, we leapt across the great chasm that separates knowledge from know-how. We built rockets, and we designed and built our own delivery systems. We guided our rockets. We guided them far; we guided them accurately. For three years, blockaded without hope of import, we maintained all our vehicles. The state extracted and refined petrol, individuals refined petrol in their back gardens. We built and maintained our airports, maintained them under heavy bombardment. Despite the heavy bombardment, we recovered so quickly after each raid that we were able to maintain the record for the busiest airport in the continent of Africa. We spoke to the world through telecommunication system engineered by local ingenuity; the world heard us and spoke back to us! We built armored cars and tanks. We modified aircraft from trainer to fighters, from passenger aircraft to bombers. In the three years of freedom we had broken the technological barrier. . . .[/b]
http://www.igbocalgary.ca/aboutus.html
That was the speech delivered towards the end of the war by Ojukwu. It was also on wikipedia.
What the Igbos achieved in the 3 years of turmoil, the failed Nigeria has not been able to achieve even up till her last 48th Anniversary! . . . . at least a functioning refinery!
Why then will the jealous and cunning Yoruba and Unimaginative/backward Hausa people not be afraid of letting Biafra go for fear that Biafra will overtake them in a short while? Do you know that if you speak to any elderly man that was of age during the war, he'll still tell you how the Igbos built bombs locally! My neighbor told me a lot. The locally made bombs were called "ogbunigwe" which means "massive killer" in igbo language. They were made from gunpowder which was in turn made from garri!
I was told the Igbos built a biafra radio station and mounted the antennas on palm trees! The lousy nigerian army must have been busy looking for the MTN-mast-like transmitter from which they were broadcasting to biafrans . . . no knowing we had perfected stealth military techniques. The Uli air strip was simply a road that was converted to an airforce base. . . .not just an ordinary airforce base but a stealth airforce base that was invisible from airspace during the day and used to launch night counter strikes!

Need I say more?
Read this too
Further feelings of injustice were caused by Nigeria, during the war, changing its currency so that Biafran supplies of pre-war Nigerian currency were no longer honoured and then, at the end of the war, offering only N£20 to easterners on exchange of their Biafran currency. This was seen as a deliberate policy to hold back the Igbo middle class, leaving them with little wealth to expand their business interests. - wikipedia
Every Igbo man lost all the money he had in banks and was entitled to 20 naira ONLY!!! Today we virtually control the economy of Nigeria in Business, Importation, Automobiles and even in Economic Administration . . . .the likes of Soludos and the Okonjo-Iwealas. What a fast come-back. Has the hausa man been able to meet up even when they have had power for almost as long as i have been on this earth as a child and a youth.
Igbos are destined to be great. The hausa man and the yoruba man are afraid of where they see us going and they are determined that since they may not have the natural inborn gifts that are required to reach there, they must hold us down with them. The God of the Jews is still the God of the Igbos! Like the Jews (of whom we descended) we will get to the promised land of Biafra.
Its simple logic!
When a man is sinking, he tries to hold on to any thing he sees to stay help him stay afloat or to drag it down with himself. Whereas a man who knows that he can stay afloat will always try to let go of any unnecessary weight that will drag him down.
The Igbos know they can stay afloat and are ready to let go of any unnecessary burden. The Yorubas and the Hausas are by their actions telling us that they are sinking! Holding on to the Igbos to stay afloat!
My Dear Yorubas and Hausas in the house please prove me wrong and prove to us that you can stay afloat by saying "These Igbos . . . let them go we do not need them"
I have never had a Yoruba or Hausa Nairalander say that!

yeah right!! In your mind, do you really believe that the yoruba's and hausa's are the only reasons why Nigeria is supposedly a failed nation?? Are they the reason why even governors over the Niger are just as corrupt as those in the west and north??
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by bawomolo(m): 2:50am On Oct 18, 2008
ojukwu was just an opportunist who took advantage of an humanitarian crisis to serve his personal interests.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by lucabrasi(m): 3:06am On Oct 18, 2008
@ellyptical
either drilling or refining or what have you,the ibos do not have the monopoly of engineers in nigeria who can refine,will you honestly sit or stand there and say the ibos were the only tribe with that kind of knowledge??i don't think so
as for your facts,i was actually expecting a non partisan and verifiable source,instead you posted a biafra propaganda that has no basis
maybe i should do an article tmorrow about how nd/yoruba e.t.c produced garri in tons,cocoa in tons e.t.c
and who says toher tribes don't produce all that is listed in your propaganda?
go to mechanic village in lagos,where trailer and tanker bodies are produced e.t.c and you ll see yorubas welding,producing e.t.c
even lets assume i blieve the article,producing salt and consumables,bunker e.t.c is not the same thing as being technologically superior,the jews came from 6 million down to build superior weapons,nuclear programmes and rather than ranting and raving at america and the rest of the world for either supporting hitler or killing /persecuting jews,they took over the financial world, if he igbos were that self reliant,I'm still repeating my earlier question,what is stopping them from advancing scientifically?
at least wole soyinka received a nobel prize for some of what yorubas are known for,how come no ibo has gotten a nobel prize in maybe engineering
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by Ellyptical: 10:22am On Oct 18, 2008
@Lucabrasi.
Ok End the story. Just say the words. "Biafrans there is nothing too fascinating about you guys. Go! We do not need you!"
Say it and prove to the world that you guys are not sinking and looking for who to hold on to.
Forget all the long story of how you people are as good as we are. Prove it by challenging me back!
5 Posts after my challenge no Yoruba or Hausa has had the liver to say it!
Na so una need us reach? inferiority.
I'm still watching. . . . . . .
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by presido1: 10:50am On Oct 18, 2008
@Poster

You asked us a question "Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward". At the end of ur useless post you wrote
Ojukwu is a coward and a  loser
Why did u ask when you know the answer already.

To a yoruba or hausa man Igbos are criminals, 419ners, fraudstars, ritualists good for nothing tribe and every bad attribute goes to them and at the same time they(Yorubas/Hausas) do not want the useless tribe have their useless country. WHY?.

@Lucabraci

Somebody wrote that Igbos refined their oil and the only comparism you came up with is just wielding tanker by yorubas. If you are ignorant of this have it at the back of your mind that Igbos own more than 50% of those wielding firms in Lagos. Just take a ride from Oshodi to mile 2 down to Okoko and Badagry. For any of those kind of firm you see 3 in every 5 will bear an Igbo name. Same is the case in every major city in Nigeria.

Nigeria of today cannot even maintain her roads talkless of airport but Biafra built and maintained such in a war time situation. Igbos have got everything it takes to be great on their own. The Nigeria Union is not favouring anybody even you Lucabraci.

lucabrasi:

I'm still repeating my earlier question,what is stopping them from advancing scientifically?
The Nigerian Factor. You can ask me what i meant by Nigerian Factor.

@poster
Ojukwu is the only HERO i know in Nigeria today. If you are jealous of his marriage to Bianca try and be even a village hero and see why village beauty queens will not die to marry you. He is a Nigerian HERO married to a Nigerian beauty QUEEN.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by lucabrasi(m): 2:28pm On Oct 18, 2008
@ellyptical
theres nothing fascinating about you igbos/biafrans and i kid you not nigeria will survive,thrive and achieve its destiny with or without the ibos, nigeria sinking is not because the ibos are not on board after all they are part and parcel of the endemic corruption including the great ojukwu too,its because of the corruption,nepotism e.t.c that has pervaded the nation.
tell me 5 areas in which the ibos are good,or areas that will sustain biafra and ill show you nigerians that are good in these areas as well
thinking without ibos nigeria will not survive is delusion at its best,what you guys propose to be the best at and which you have been going on as your main skills is engineering,comerce and industry,do you really believe nigeria do not have qualified engineers as well,or business men/women?
@presido1
maybe you didnt read my comments but glazed over it,i said what he posted wasnt conclusive proof that they ctually did refine oil,you expect me to believe a feel good article written by a biafran propagandist? I'm waiting for you gys to post a non partsan,verifiable source that the assertion is true because i don't believe it is,if i wake up today and write an article that yorubas are this,hausas are that its still all in the realm of speculation untill proven,
so what if the igbos own the companies?the point I'm making is that irrespective of the skills the igbo have,other nigerians too have that same skills and that follows that they will survive without the igbos, lets see who will sink in a scenario of secession if its nigeria with his resources and manpower and the ibos without the federal allocation and the support and soft landing of nigeria, you guys are like a little child telling his dad he can survive on his own while eating the eba and rice his dad provides,I'm throwing a chalenge to you guys as well,stop collecting federal allocation,form your own stock exchange,generate your own money in fact this time around every ibo will be allowed to  carry their propeties and lets see who ll feel the pinch  grin

thak GOD,you metioned the nigerian factor,well that nigerian factor is the reason why we dont have good roads,better welfare,healthcare,why the nd are getting a raw deal e.t.c if you know the nigerian factor is not favouring anybody even me,so why dont you direct your accusations at the right people??
instead of going on and on about secession as if that will solve the problem(unless you r saying there are no igbo corrupt politicians)or pdp)we should all be condemning the political class of all tribes who have brought nigeria to her knees, hausa,yoruba,ibo,south south,middle belt e.t.c
i dont understand how a fully grown man/woman,who is educated and knows the problem of this country keep on shouting recession,biafra and cursing yoruba,nd e.t.c when its obvious these people are victims as well,you blame the hausas are 100% of hausas soldiers?
are the majority of hausas not suffering even children as almajiris?please lets behave and reason like educated and enlightened people, corruption is a cancer that has infected the whole country,
its like saying because someone has an infection you want to cut off a part of the person,isnt it better to look for a treatment and face the evil rather than behaving like a selfish,self centered child?
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by ScanLess: 3:30pm On Oct 18, 2008
@ Luca
lucabrasi:

what ship and what did anyone do to be called a rat?while nobody is justifying the evil that happened during biafra and acknowledging the part that everybody played,the same way u cannot hold nd responsible for what saro wiwa did is the same way you cannot hold awolowo or ojukwu responsible for whatever they did wrong,its funny you didnt comment on this particular comment from kiwi

This is why i say you and your guys should go back to nursery school, you and your NDs here, (including kiwi) have made it clear to us that NDs were not in support of Biafra, and claim to have suffered in the hands of Ndigbo. I asked you "why not opt out of Biafra from the onset"? declare your own republic parallel to Biafra and Nigeria, rather than stay and sabotage the Biafran struggle , and you are still arguing about calling you guys rats ?

Is this not your post ?

while you guys have a legitimate grouse against nigeria,yoruba/hausa whaeva,like you accused the poster,arnt you using panadol for another person's headache as well?i think you should leave the niger delta/south south to fight their corner,i see you trying to play to the gallery in their defence like i have seen others do but the south south have made it clear times without number that they are not part of the biafra and if they r breaking away from nigeria,it ll be on their own terms and on their own not with ibos or anybody as they r not ready to go from one enslavement to the other,just an oservatn

I say why did you guys stay in Biafra at first, only to come here to talk nonsense. how does kiwi's statement that his village supported the Nigerians help you ?. I still ask - did Ndigbo at any time force the NDs to join the struggle for independence and self actualisation under the banner of Biafra? answer me !!. you guys joined because you were also at peril from the northern devils, but when the heat came on you croaked and began to sabotage Biafra because you thought that would give you  favour with the north. you guys are a double tragedy in this country. now your man Bily Mumu is calling Ojukwu a coward when in reality he is the double coward. raaaaatttss!!!!!!!!

It is because people like you and Junkie  dont understand the web of political-Financial-socio-economic systems that form a platform for successful industrialisation of any state, that you come here to ask very silly questions. the Jews and the Japs have their own independent states, and can go to any lenght in pursuing their technological advancement. is that so for Ndigbo today ?. so the only thing your peanut brain could recognise is only welding (which, funny enough, you NDs cant even do), have you gone to Nnewi (co-incidentally Ojukwu's home town) to see auto parts and other kinds of factories. what we do, we do with our own private resources and skills. Even when Ibeto (also from Nnewi) came and put up a cement plant in PH , the FG started messing , so Dangote could go on importing. that is after crippling Nigercem at Nkalagu, Nigercem that used to supply all the cement needs in the SE and beyond.

So Wole Soyinka got a nobel prize for telling stories, which  one has ND got? . while you guys are busy competing with Iran and Al Queda in hostage taking and money laundering, the Yorubas are glorying in Soyinka, and Ndigbo ?; haven't you heard of Nnaji's thoery in robotic physics ?(just like Newton's theory or Einstein's). what has ND got ? -hostages !. look at even  the names you guys go by here on NL ; Bily goat or is it bily mumu grin, Lucabrasi=mafioso grin, Wily wily=ghost grin, Junkie = drug addict grin, kiwi=an endangered specie grin, that only shows you guys are thoughtless monkeys, coming here to call Ojukwu a coward. oh my God , let me breathe !! cool
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:24pm On Oct 18, 2008
You people that keep saying Hausa were the ones killing Biafrans during the civil war. Have you guys taken the time to realize that the Nigerian Army consisted even of Igbo stock at the time. Yes the lingua franca of the Nigerian Army is indeed pidgin Hausa, but if that is conclusive evidence that the Army consisted 100% of Hausa stock than you incorrect.

As for this Ojukwu fellow he was a coward from the beginning to the end. Sending Eastern Nigeria into turmoil, and then fleeing, this are no acts of heroism
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by naijaking1: 5:29pm On Oct 18, 2008
The biggest hero produced from the civil war was Lt. Col. Philip Effiong. Of course there were many Igbos that sacrificed for the war, but Effiong was truely heroic.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by ScanLess: 5:37pm On Oct 18, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Have you guys taken the time to realize that the Nigerian Army consisted even of Igbo stock at the time.

are you a mumu or a mugu, which one 
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:09pm On Oct 18, 2008
ScanLess:

are you a mumu or a mugu, which one 

are you wawa co benza ne? which one
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by lucabrasi(m): 6:31pm On Oct 18, 2008
ScanLess:

@ Luca
This is why i say you and your guys should go back to nursery school, you and your NDs here, (including kiwi) have made it clear to us that NDs were not in support of Biafra, and claim to have suffered in the hands of Ndigbo. I asked you "why not opt out of Biafra from the onset"? declare your own republic parallel to Biafra and Nigeria, rather than stay and sabotage the Biafran struggle , and you are still arguing about calling you guys rats ?

Is this not your post ?

while you guys have a legitimate grouse against nigeria,yoruba/hausa whaeva,like you accused the poster,arnt you using panadol for another person's headache as well?i think you should leave the niger delta/south south to fight their corner,i see you trying to play to the gallery in their defence like i have seen others do but the south south have made it clear times without number that they are not part of the biafra and if they r breaking away from nigeria,it ll be on their own terms and on their own not with ibos or anybody as they r not ready to go from one enslavement to the other,just an oservatn

I say why did you guys stay in Biafra at first, only to come here to talk nonsense. how does kiwi's statement that his village supported the Nigerians help you ?. I still ask - did Ndigbo at any time force the NDs to join the struggle for independence and self actualisation under the banner of Biafra? answer me !!. you guys joined because you were also at peril from the northern devils, but when the heat came on you croaked and began to sabotage Biafra because you thought that would give you  favour with the north. you guys are a double tragedy in this country. now your man Bily Mumu is calling Ojukwu a coward when in reality he is the double coward. raaaaatttss!!!!!!!!

do you see th problem i have with you people preaching secession and ethnic speriority?
tell me what diffrence that is from hitler's nazi even though the germans were technologically savvy,they believed their aryan race was better than everybody else saame as you ppl believe you are superior to everybody else,go to the culture section where a guy said ibos should and must not inter marry or hook up with any other tribe same as the nazis.

i stand by my earlier comment and in addition ill repeat that why are you agree if the nd want to have a seperate nation same as biafra?are you sddenly jittery and not as confident??after all you have all these technological know how  grin you dont need oil
the reason why the nd turned against biafra is because biafra tried to annex them forcefully,sacked their villages and gave them more or less the same treatment they  would have got from nigeria,unless you want them to keep quiet like mumus and suffer in silence because you are the great biafra abi grin
nobody was looking for favour with the north,they were looking for favour with nigeria as a whole which they were part of,so nd is a tragedy in this country yet your igbo states can open your wide mouths to swallow the federal allocation that comes from their oil dont make me laugh abeg,you had how many years now to use the oil money to build factories and make iboland another china by now,what have u been waiting for after all u get enough free oil money you didnt work for, u shud say thank you sir because the oilmoney built several mansions in ibo land,several luxury cars foreign accounts,paid for sveral ozo titiles e.t.c
ScanLess:

It is because people like you and Junkie  don't understand the web of political-Financial-socio-economic systems that form a platform for successful industrialisation of any state, that you come here to ask very silly questions. the Jews and the Japs have their own independent states, and can go to any lenght in pursuing their technological advancement. is that so for Ndigbo today ?. so the only thing your peanut brain could recognise is only welding (which, funny enough, you NDs can't even do), have you gone to Nnewi (co-incidentally Ojukwu's home town) to see auto parts and other kinds of factories. what we do, we do with our own private resources and skills. Even when Ibeto (also from Nnewi) came and put up a cement plant in PH , the FG started messing , so Dangote could go on importing. that is after crippling Nigercem at Nkalagu, Nigercem that used to supply all the cement needs in the SE and beyond.

yes but there are polish jews,russian jews e.t.c and the all use the same formular no matter where they are in the world and have been sucessful come to uk ou will see them in controll,united states same thing,anywhere they are so thats no excuse,the chinese too everywher in the world they are they have used the same formular to suceed,who is stopping the ibos from pursuing their technological advancement?
since the end of the war and ojukwu has had all his properties returned to him plus several contracts who hasnt he set up a world class school of engineering?
with all the federal allocation your governors receive,what has stopped them educating the ibos and encouraging their technological advancements?
so what if you have auto parts factory in nnwewi,conidering you want to take a big step like secession and having a whole nation,dont you agree there should have been more onground to show how good you really are?
you seem to be forgetting the same governmentyou accuse of messing with everything regularly give you billions you do not have any input in,where are the factories you have built with all these billions you collected and didint work for,
btw se is not the only place where there are cement plants,the fact thqat dangote is buding an ultra modern cement plant doesnt make him a genius
ScanLess:

So Wole Soyinka got a nobel prize for telling stories, which  one has ND got? . while you guys are busy competing with Iran and Al Queda in hostage taking and money laundering, the Yorubas are glorying in Soyinka, and Ndigbo ?; haven't you heard of Nnaji's thoery in robotic physics ?(just like Newton's theory or Einstein's). what has ND got ? -hostages !. look at even  the names you guys go by here on NL ; Bily goat or is it bily mumu grin, Lucabrasi=mafioso grin, Wily wily=ghost grin, Junkie = drug addict grin, kiwi=an endangered specie grin, that only shows you guys are thoughtless monkeys, coming here to call Ojukwu a coward. oh my God , let me breathe !! cool
thank GOD you acknowledge wole soyinka,first time u have acknowledged anyone else apart from ibo ibo halleluyah!!!unlike you ppl the nd suffered first under biafra then nigeria sucessively,btw when did i tell you i was either nd or yoruba or both or hausa?
thank GOD you haveshown your true feelings of resentment towards the nd so i was right in thinking you dont have any iota of love or respect ofr any ethnicity/tribe but ibo so all the eye service was for the oil hmn no wonder i touched a nerve grin
you r calling the people who feed you monkeys and enderngered species??shows the kind of people you are,can you feed yourself without the free oil money you have?
you call yorubas betrayers and hausas wicked,yet your ibo politicians and so called states men sit down on a roundtable with these same hausas and yorubas to steal the collective nation's money,when they get home,they wear the red cap and shout biafra,monday morning they r back in abuja with the same hausas changing their red cap to babaringa and hausa cap, wonder who is deceiving who grin grin
show us conclusive proof that you are ready for secession,what we are seeing now is people ranting and raving like you while using the left hand to collect oil money, even your so called chieftaincy titles have been given to hausa and yoruba politicians and businessmen because of money,btw stop complaining about nigeria/hausa collecting your properties during biafra because your igbo politicians have stolen more than enough to cpmpensate in the oil money some of them even have oil blocks
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by bawomolo(m): 8:31pm On Oct 18, 2008
why did ojukwu launch the midwest invasion, when did those ND indigenes do to you. ojukwu is not a hero considering the fact he forced human-right agencies to airlift weapons alongside supplies meant to contain the humanitarian crisis. this idiot was still thinking about war when people around him were dying left and right. he wasn't that much of a millitary commander either.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by dayokanu(m): 9:38pm On Oct 18, 2008
Fled to exile like a coward he is. I am a Yoruba man. In Yoruba land The general(Are Ona Kakanfo) does not run away If he loses he must dies at war or commit suicide.

He comes back later to contest for the presidency of an entity he did not beleive him.

Charles taylor is more of an hero to Liberia than Coward Ojukwu
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by presido1: 10:27pm On Oct 18, 2008
dayokanu:

Fled to exile like a coward he is. I am a Yoruba man. In Yoruba land The general(Are Ona Kakanfo) does not run away If he loses he must dies at war or commit suicide.

He comes back later to contest for the presidency of an entity he did not beleive him.

Charles taylor is more of an hero to Liberia than Coward Ojukwu
No need to argue with you dude.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by Abagworo(m): 4:23am On Oct 19, 2008
I just want to summarise all the opinions expressed so far.Ibos fought in self defence.core niger delta cum rivers,bayelsa,delta sabotaged to avoid ibo dominance.north and west fought for the control of oil in southeast,niger delta,crossriver and akwaibom.not for national unity,
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by samparian(m): 4:53am On Oct 19, 2008
Its sad that most of the people calling ojukwu a coward were not even concieved at that time and right now have not even seen a battle or a serious gun battle or massacre. Its sad.
its also sad that those doing the name calling didnt bother to read and study history in school. please try and read more unbaised books before you start insulting your fathers.
let it be known that Igbos never wanted to leave Nigeria, but the situation demanded it. Ojukwu is a hero till tomorrow and i pray God blesses him with longer life because when the igbos needed someone to look upto, someone to lead us and Ojukwu lived up to that expectation. my father was a foot soldier in the Biafra army and he was proud to have fought for his homeland.
Let me qoute a recent event, saturday 29th February 2006 in maiduguri, Bornu state, hausas attacked the igbos and christians living in the city because of a cartoon printed in Denmark. Many people who died on that day didnt even know where Denmark was but they were killed because they were Igbos and properties worth millions were destroyed and nothing was done to stop the killings. I was in maiduguri then and i survived the killings.
I'm a man of peace, but what i saw that day brought tears to my eyes and hardened my heart that few of us igbos decided to mobilise others and start a counter attack to save others even if it meant dying in the act.
that was when the police decided to come out with teargas to stop us from retaliating. what kind of justice do you call that? hmm?
the attack on igbos started about 9am and we began mobilising for counter offensive around 4pm, the hausas fled and the police showed up to disperse us with tear gas!!! thats Nigeria for you. why didnt the hausas go to the danish embassy in Abuja instead of attacking Igbos
i love Nigeria my country anyday and will defend her from her enemies if i must but we, the Igbos should be treated with the same respect accorded other ethnic groups.
Udo ga achi
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by kiwi992(m): 2:33pm On Oct 19, 2008
Hi All,

I really do not wish to offend anybody here - be it Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba, Edo or whomsoever.

That said, as always, I'll speak the truth as I know it, whilst being as objective as possible.  I would never insult anybody as a way of defending my opinion or try to force my views down other people's throats.  This I wouldn't do.  Everything I say here is open for debate, putting insults and tribal sentiments aside, so here goes.

Ever since giving my own personal account of the massacre of Ibos (and other Easterners) on Carter Bridge, Lagos and at the foot of it by the Hausa soldiers, various people have commented on it. 

Pastor PLC said:

@Kiwi992,

Your post is nice and I love your wisdom.  Though, Northerners had no such power in Lagos to masscre Igbos if Yorubas had not helped them.  The masscre in Lagos was not actually the way you posted it.  The killings in the North was much but it was all that much in Western Nigeria (Yoruba)

I couldn't see why I would want to twist the truth.  After all, I am not an Ibo so, why on earth would I want to say something that paints the Ibos (and other Easterners) as victims, if that wasn't the way the killings started in Lagos, and exactly as I saw it as a kid. 

I don't know what part the Yorubas played in it but I can tell you that a lot of Easterners (including the Ibos), were saved by their Yoruba neighbours from the hands of the Hausa soldiers.

People like Scanless have adopted a totally different posture in this debate without being objective, I'm sorry to say.  Instead, he/she had resorted to raining insults at the peoples of the Niger Delta.  How so sad, but then so be it.  He talked about our eating winkles and bonga fish and going gaga (or words to that effect) because we did not support the Biafran war effort, but hey, that's his opinion and I do respect that.  By the way, fish is good for your brain. 

In my humble opinion, the Biafran war was justified.  This is because of the simple fact that nobody would wish to be part of a state that commits attrocities against a specific tribe (and its neighbours).  There was no alternative left for the Ibos but to secede.  Afterall, Nigeria didn't want them so, why would they wish to remain a part of that country?

That said, the Biafran war effort failed because they (the Ibos) made the fundamental mistake of not seeking the opinion (and agreement) of the other smaller tribes in that region - the Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, and so on.  They totally failed to co-opt those other tribes in the East into the war effort.  Instead, they went ahead and unilaterally declared independence for themselves and themselves alone, with the aim of forcing the other smaller tribes to tow the line.

In war, (just like it is in chess), you have foot soldiers (under the command of the generals), guarding strategic corners of the war front (chess table).  In the Biafran war this was lacking because they (the Biafrans) failed to place foot soldiers guarding those strategic riverine areas closest to the Atlantic.  They couldn't because they did not get the agreement of the peoples of the Niger Delta before starting the war.

We the peoples of the Niger Delta owed our allegiance to the Federal Government (despite all the attrocities committed against our neighbours and indeed, us) because we knew exactly what the Ibos were like.  We knew that the Ibos planned to take-over all the riverine tribes with the sole aim of exterminating them - erase us from the face of this earth in view of the size of their population compared with ours.

This grand strategy soon surfaced when the Biafrans evacuated EVERYBODY (yes, everybody!) from Bakana, dispersing them to the Ibo hinterland and populating the town with their soldiers.  Now if you were a military strategist, how would you explain this type of action?  Come on, be honest.  How would you? - disperse, assimilate and eventually re-settle your own indegenous people.  Is it not?

There is a cause and effect in everything.

Bakana had been taken over and its citizens dispersed to the Ibo hinterland.  Which town next?  Buguma, Abonnema, Tombia, Okrika, Bonny, Opobo, Andoni, Ogoni, Brass, Nembe, Sangama? (to name but only a few).  Isn't life about self-preservation anymore?  Please tell me otherwise.

Consequently, the peoples of the Niger Delta had to spring to action, escaping to Lagos by sea and steering the Third Marine Commandoes to the Niger Delta through the creeks inorder to stop the Ibos from achieving their ultimate goal.

The effect of all this being that a counter attack was mounted, Bakana fell, then Port Harcourt and so on.  The rest is history and I really don't want to go into all that.

Others said:

JosBoy4Lif:

You people that keep saying Hausa were the ones killing Biafrans during the civil war. Have you guys taken the time to realize that the Nigerian Army consisted even of Igbo stock at the time. Yes the lingua franca of the Nigerian Army is indeed pidgin Hausa, but if that is conclusive evidence that the Army consisted 100% of Hausa stock than you incorrect.

As for this Ojukwu fellow he was a coward from the beginning to the end. Sending Eastern Nigeria into turmoil, and then fleeing, this are no acts of heroism

It was most definitely the Hausa soldiers that started the massacre, if truth be told.  People can say all sorts of things here but as a non-Ibo, I know for sure that it was those Hausa soldiers that were doing the killings on Carter Bridge and right outside Ebute Metta market but NOT the Yourbas.  I don't care what anybody says.  The truth is the truth and it's always bitter.

Having said my piece, I believe that we should try our level best to move on and put aside the wrongs done.  We must not let those wrong deeds retard our progress.  The IBOS must never be marginalised in the country.  Afterall, it was they who were wronged.  So, why marginalise them?  Where is the fairness in all of this?

As Nigerians, we need to be tolerant of other tribes (and their religion) and never be forever pre-occupied with tribal sentiments.

May peace prevail in our country in the name of One Nigeria.

kiwi992.
Re: Is Ojukwu A War Hero Or A Coward ! by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Oct 19, 2008
ScanLess:

So Wole Soyinka got a nobel prize for telling stories, which  one has ND got? . while you guys are busy competing with Iran and Al Queda in hostage taking and money laundering, the Yorubas are glorying in Soyinka, and Ndigbo ?; haven't you heard of Nnaji's thoery in robotic physics ?(just like Newton's theory or Einstein's). what has ND got ? -hostages !. look at even  the names you guys go by here on NL ; Bily goat or is it bily mumu grin, Lucabrasi=mafioso grin, Wily wily=ghost ;D, Junkie = drug addict grin, kiwi=an endangered specie grin, that only shows you guys are thoughtless monkeys, coming here to call Ojukwu a coward. oh my God , let me breathe !! cool

Are you sure I am the druggie here??  I am not even sure if you read or are just too full of your love for the man that you can not see to read. Do you mind pointing to the very line where I made a claim about the man Ojukwu?? I understand your need to have a hero at all cost. That seems to be the way things work with many in Nigeria. Always in need of a Hero to latch onto and make bogus claims of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See Soludo's Plans In Detail- Africa's Dubai Taiwan! I Am Soooo Excited! / Gov. Rabiu Kwankwaso Of Kano State Is Ibo? / I call Ugwuanyi ‘Junior Jim’, says Jim Nwobodo’s wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 236
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.