Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs (1986 Views)

Arms Deal: Ex-military Chiefs Offer To Refund Contract Sums-the Nation / Buhari Failed All Military Exams- IBB. / Senate Summons Military Chiefs Over Seized $ 9.3m Cash  (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by bilymuse: 10:41am On Aug 21, 2008
[size=15pt]Nigeria military chiefs dismissed  [/size]

Umaru Yar'Adua took power more than a year ago
Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua has dismissed the country's chief of the defence staff, together with the heads of the army and navy.

Mr Yar'Adua made the announcement before going on a pilgrimage to Mecca.

No reason has yet been given for the surprise dismissals, but correspondents say it is not unusual for a new president to change military chiefs.

Nigeria has been plagued by military coups since independence but has had civilian rule since 1999.

Last year, Mr Yar'Adua became the first Nigerian civilian leader to succeed another.

This is the first time he has replaced his military heads since taking power in May 2007.

Oil unrest

The announcement was made at a press conference at the presidential villa in the capital, Abuja.

Presidential spokesman Segun Adeniyi said the men were taking compulsory retirement.

The head of the air force, Air Marshal Paul Dike, has been promoted to become overall defence chief, the country's top military position.

The sacked three were seen as being loyalists of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Despite coming from the same People's Democratic Party (PDP) as Mr Obasanjo, since Mr Yar'Adua took over, there has been a series of allegations of corruption against senior members of the former administration.

Before the sackings were announced, the PDP held a press conference to criticise a group of political opponents who had been calling for the removal of the present government.

The BBC's Sola Odunfa in the commercial capital, Lagos, says making the changes at this time will not upset the apple-cart.

He says most Nigerians now accept that the military should not intervene in politics.

But he says there has been speculation that the government is not happy with the way the military has handled the unrest in the oil-producing Niger Delta region.

Attacks by militants have cut Nigeria's oil output by about 20% - a problem Mr Yar'Adua promised to address when he took power.

Local analysts accuse some military officials of being involved in the large-scale theft of oil, which Mr Yar'Adua says is behind the unrest.

Earlier this month, Mr Yar'Adua suspended the head of the government agency responsible for the development of the oil-producing Niger Delta over allegations of corruption.

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7573644.stm
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by bilymuse: 10:42am On Aug 21, 2008
at least, baba go slow is showing he can bite
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by deor03(m): 12:03pm On Aug 21, 2008
bilymuse:

[size=15pt]Nigeria military chiefs dismissed [/size]

Umaru Yar'Adua took power more than a year ago
Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua has dismissed the country's chief of the defence staff, together with the heads of the army and navy. Mr Yar'Adua made the announcement before going on a pilgrimage to Mecca.

No reason has yet been given for the surprise dismissals, but correspondents say it is not unusual for a new president to change military chiefs.

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7573644.stm

Useless BBC, these guys were retired not dismissed.
They try to turn any news to dent our image. Useless people
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by bilymuse: 12:19pm On Aug 21, 2008
In Nigeria people dont voluntarily retired, they are pushed away
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by McKren(m): 12:34pm On Aug 21, 2008
deor03:

They were dismissed, forget the lies.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by deor03(m): 12:41pm On Aug 21, 2008
Lt Gen LUKA NYEH YUSUF, erstwhile COAS joined the Nigerian army in 1973.
Admiral Adekeye , erstwhile CNS joined the navy in 1974
General Azazi , erstwhile CDS joined the Nigerian army in 1972

So which one of the is NOT due for retirement ?
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by McKren(m): 1:12pm On Aug 21, 2008
The day they joined the army is not enough justification

You can do more by telling us How many years they are meant to serve according to Military laws
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by izeek(m): 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2008
they where retired involuntarily.

no mistake about that.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by deor03(m): 1:26pm On Aug 21, 2008
McKren:

You can do more by telling us How many years they are meant to serve according to Military laws

Oh you don't  know?  BBC / Foreign media are your only sources of info ? No wonder!!!

People like me don't just take information from, i carry out my investigation to balance out things. I advice you to do thesame.

They are all due for retirement, in case you don know sir. There are two conditions for retirement in Nigeria, i.e. age and/or years of service
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by McKren(m): 1:45pm On Aug 21, 2008
deor03:

Oh you don't  know?  BBC / Foreign media are your only sources of info ? No wonder!!!

People like me don't just take information from, i carry out my investigation to balance out things. I advice you to do thesame.

They are all due for retirement, in case you don know sir. There are two conditions for retirement in Nigeria, i.e. age and/or years of service

Let us hear some of your proof, I am willing to learn

I will be shocked to know that Nigeria's CDS, CAS and CNS do not even know their own retirement date.
These guys planned a military officers retreat that was supposed to hold in Kaduna before there were sacked. Guess what that retreat has been postponed by the Minister of Defence, Yayale Ahmed, that is just to tell you that this development was unexpected.

If it were an expected retirement why were they planning a military retreat instead of their handover ceremony?

Is'nt it questionable to you that 3 service chiefs who joined the Army 1972, 1973, and 1974 (1 year gap in between) retired on the same day?

Mr Investigator they were sacked
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by deor03(m): 2:07pm On Aug 21, 2008
Didn't the erstwhile Head of service plan a retreat? Didn't she know she was due for retirement?

Most people at the Top in Nigeria, "forget" that they are due for retirement until they are reminded.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by McKren(m): 2:16pm On Aug 21, 2008
No need for long debate, Shola Odunfa of the BBC says they were sacked

If you think he is wrong, show us ur proof: i.e. 1. What the Military law says about retirement; 2. The age of these service chieves; 3. How long they have served; 4. Justify the retirement in accordance to the position of the law.

Anything short of that, you will have to explain to us why anybody should take you more seriously than the BBC.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by c33b33(m): 9:17pm On Aug 21, 2008
If they were sacked nko?What's d big deal?Yarad'ua is the C-in-C of d Armed Forces,if he finds them unfit to be there,he removes them.Is it only in Nigeria that it is being done?If u do your investigation well you'll find those men were due for retirement.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by McKren(m): 9:21pm On Aug 21, 2008
not sure why u had to use different ID to make that point.

All you have to do is state result of your investigation.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by vigasimple(m): 10:42pm On Aug 21, 2008
Even your President  Yar A'dull and his PDP people are not sure of his date of birth.

Remember some south south governor congratulatiing him on the NTA in July for his 57th Birthday when we were later informed by SA to President Olusegun Adeniyi that he has checked to confirm that the President was actually born in August. may be July is the actual birthday and August is the official birthday.

In any event this idea of congratulatiing and celebrating 51st, 57th 48th, 73rd birthday is part of Nigeria msiplaced priority.

Whatever the official word from the Presidency, it appears that those officers are involuntarily discharged especially when a retreat was cancelled at last minute. Maybe some element of mutiny and Yar A'dull is not Baba go slow afterall when his tenure is threatened.  He dismissed them on the express lane.

I wish Mr Yar A'dull can deal with Nigeria challenges like power on express lane etc  rather than going to some Lesser Hajj that does not contribute anything to Nigeria. May be it is part of his holiday (which has become almost permanent).
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by deor03(m): 11:38pm On Aug 21, 2008
McKren:

not sure why u had to use different ID to make that point.

All you have to do is state result of your investigation.

Urhh. You've shown your stereotype mind set again.
I advice you to ask seun(or BBC) to help you check the ip address of all posters
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by DeepZone: 11:48pm On Aug 21, 2008
Retired? Are you from La La land? This one na political retirement. But the chief of army staff had a hint sometime last month when there were rumours that powers beyond Yaradua are putting pressure on him to retire them involuntarily and he seems to be yielding.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by madamkoko: 11:49pm On Aug 21, 2008
LOL. grin
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by deor03(m): 11:58pm On Aug 21, 2008
DeepZone:

Retired? Are you from La La land? This one na political retirement. But the chief of army staff had a hint sometime last month when there were rumours that powers beyond Yaradua are putting pressure on him to retire them involuntarily and he seems to be yielding.

I understand that there not so many actions on the scene, so people are just blowing thing out of proportion. Men that have served 35 years in service were retired and that has political angle ?
I am sure TELL and The News will come out with sensational healdines very soon linking Yaradua action to when YUSUF stepped on his toes when they were both playing football in Kano in 1970.

Abeg
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by McKren(m): 12:04am On Aug 22, 2008
DeepZone:

That exactly is the issue!!!!

This joins a long list of worrying situations where a group of cabals are appointing everything for Mr President

Name them: IG, EFCC Boss, Chief of staff to President, Head of service, Head of BPE, principal secretary to aso roc and now CDS,CNS, CAS.

The next on the line is National Security Adviser

When a President can't stand his grounds on sensitive issues like these, then we should begin to ask who our leader truely is?

Who exactly is running Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by lucabrasi(m): 12:58am On Aug 22, 2008
i dont know the real reason why he retired them but one thing i know for sure is that a common link with most or all of them especiallywith admiral adekeye is bunkering on a massive scale and coruption
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by QuotaSyste(m): 10:01am On Aug 22, 2008
Almajiri military. What do they know beside coup.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 22, 2008
They were simply fired by president Ibori and co. cool
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by Kobojunkie: 11:44am On Aug 22, 2008
Retired?? in Nigeria With Oil where it is today and a president on HAJJ every other month  ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by Jarus(m): 12:15pm On Aug 22, 2008
The simple fact is that these people cannot be there for life. One of the offices with the highest turn-over is the office of service chiefs. Almost all Nigerian presidents have a history of changing their service chiefs frequently. So it's normal and expected. The men too would have put it at the back of their minds, even though as human beings it will hurt them.

Vice Admiral Adekeye, my townman, I'm proud of you. You did a good job for the Nigerian Navy. No wonder you were the longest serving of the four. Offa people are waiting for you back home.

P.S: Air marshal Paul Dike was promoted to a higher post, CDS. So using the term DISMISSED for the three of them is incorrect.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by Ibime(m): 12:19pm On Aug 22, 2008
ife-eco-06:

Vice Admiral Adekeye, my townman, I'm proud of you. You did a good job for the Nigerian Navy. No wonder you were the longest serving of the four. Offa people are waiting for you back home.

Ask your town man what happened to the ship that went missing - not to talk of all the bunkering he is involved in.

I grew up with these Navy guys in Navy Camp, Borokiri, PH. All they know how to do is terrorise secondary school students from Comprehensive and Enitonia. The only thing Navy Camp is good for is playing football and basketball.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 22, 2008
Ibime:

Ask your town man what happened to the ship that went missing - not to talk of all the bunkering he is involved in.

I grew up with these Navy guys in Navy Camp, Borokiri, PH. All they know how to do is terrorise secondary school students from Comprehensive and Enitonia. The only thing Navy Camp is good for is playing football and basketball.

Lol. . . . randy pedophiles and retards.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by ssRhino: 12:56pm On Aug 22, 2008
If all he is doing is replacing them, then i guess chop and allow someone else to chop continues, so nothing new.
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by c33b33(m): 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2008
Na wah o!tseew
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by bollingjoe(m): 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2008
at least yaradua has shown dat he is in charge
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 22, 2008
In charge of what?
Re: Nigeria Government Dismissed All Military Chiefs by ssRhino: 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2008
In charge of "chop make i chop, just leve some for the next chopper" fools

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Want a Union With North , yes or no afam4eva and THE AMAKA / Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. / Polls: Buhari To Win At The First Ballot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.