Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,114 members, 7,835,757 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? (30247 Views)

These four (4) Cities Are Competing Amongst Themselves, Wch Is Winning (pics) / OFFICIAL- The Most Economically Viable States In Nigeria / GLORIA OKON, The Story Of Nigeria’s Most Mysterious Drug Pusher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by eexx: 1:33pm On Jul 22, 2012
Jarus:

The satellite oracle has spoken. He sees what we don't see, including a city called 'anywhere' and another Lagos. . Case closed.

Im sory but this list is not making much sense. what city is called anywhere. u include Ondo as Oil and Gas city (as wrong as it gets) Oil and Gas centers in Nigeria are PH, Warri and Eket in that order. however, the argument is overall economic potential and not just one industry or one crop being planted. Please modify ur list.

thank you
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by eexx: 1:37pm On Jul 22, 2012
cholerik: aba with trade,yeah,thats a fact but i bet big time investors would go with kaduna and ibadan before aba,its pretty evident,check out the no of banks,local investment like eateries,dont think theres any question,if its trade then kano shd be rote after lagos undecided

I agree with u on the trading bit.
This is how I would like to rank Nigerian trading centers

[b]Lagos
Kano
[/b]Onitsha
Aba
Port Harcourt
Kaduna
Ibadan

The highlighted cities are the two that the world will recognise from Nigeria as far as pure trading is concerned
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by eexx: 1:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
cholerik: plus,no yenagoa,u no even mention enugu or asaba first or jos, wetin dey yenagoa?

truth is, non of the cities mentioned here are in any way commercial. the likely ones in this category will be Enugu and Jos which cant compete economically with the much bigger and more developed economic centers like Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Ibadan as well as midsize cities of Aba, Onitsha, Warri. these are really the cities to mention in Nigeria in terms of general economic activities
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by eexx: 1:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm sorry but Abuja has little or nothing to offer economically. Abuja is not an economic city neither is it a cultural city or a social city. It's simply a political city. Chikena.

My humble opinion:

1) Lagos(white collar and Blue collar)
2) Port-Hacourt(Oil and Gas)
3) Onitsha(Commerce and Manufacturing)
4) Aba(Manufacturing and Commerce)
5) Nnewi(Automobile capital of sub-sahan Africa)

Fringe cities:

Warri
Kano
Kaduna
etc...

I think Kano follows after Lag and PH, Warri shud b in the same league as Aba and Onitsha as well as Kaduna. although kaduna is much bigger and more developed than Warri, Aba and Onitsha

1 Like

Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by tpia1: 2:20am On Nov 23, 2012
which states are most important, and why.
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by WarriPikin1: 2:40am On Nov 23, 2012
Jarus: Below is an effort at ranking Nigeria's major towns based on some yardsticks. it's just an opinion based on knowledge of activities in Nigeria and peculiarities of these cities:

Economy-wisesadDefined by totality of corporate, commercial, and industrial activities)
1, Lagos- Corporate capital of Nigeria.Head Offices of virtually all the companies that matter are in Lagos.
2, Port Harcourt- The Oil capital of Nigeria.
3, Kano- Arguably No 1 commercial city in Nigeria, but commerce is just a fragment of economy
4, Abuja- The political capital of course, but can't stand Lagos, PH or Kano in terms of economic activities. Regulatory agencies that control the economy(CBN etc) are there
5, Kaduna-Another hub of economic activities. Lagos of the North
6, Ibadan- Hub of grassroot, informal economic activities
7, Warri- If Warri is bombed today, it will tell on the world economy via crude oil prices.

Commerce-wisesadDefined by no and size of markets, volume of trading activities etc)
1, Kano: Commerce is another name for Kano
2, Ibadan:Commercial capital of the South(East and West). Trading activities, especially, informal activities, boom here.Millions of market women
3, Lagos: Many markets, formal and informal
4, Onitsha: The 'Dubai' of Ibo-made products. Has one of the largest markets in West africa
5, Kaduna: Also has one of the largest markets in west Africa
6, Aba: Made in Aba! You get me, ?
7, Port Harcourt: A good place to tap some money from the OIL MILLIONAIRES!

Industrial-wise:
1, Lagos: Highly industralized
2, Port Harcourt: Refinery plus other oil-related industries
3, Warri: Ditto
4, Otta: Home of Medium sized industries
5, Kaduna: Refinery plus other industries
6, Kano: Many indigenous plants are here
7, Ibadan:Oluyole industrial estate. Not doing badly

Political-wise:
1, Abuja- The official political capital of Nigeria
2, Ibadan- The political capital of old Western Nigeria and today's S/West. Ibadan politics matters in the country
3, Lagos- More of an economic city than political, but more than a decade after FCT was moved to Abuja, Lagos is still
4, Kaduna- The political h/quarters of the North, politically speaking.Capital of old Northern Nigeria.Till today critical political meetings still hold here. Power-broking city      
5, Kano- The religious capital of the North(apology to Sokoto). And in the North, politics and religion are intertwined. So
6, Enugu- The capital of the old Eastern Nigeria. Still powerful in political dealings today.
7, Ilorin- Another force to reckon with, politically speaking

You dey craze to put Ibadan before Warri in anything else except the quantity of rusty zinc roofs!
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by danjohn: 3:32am On Nov 23, 2012
fulfillment2020: . Another senseless post from an ethnic clouded bigoted primitive yooroba man. Just naming all the browned-zinc western city just to show your ignorance.

Check Ife-Eco's post again. She was talking about commerce on a day-to-day level. On that level, Aba is King.Another po

I reason with your comment. I have not been to both places but I need not go there before I know what's going on there.

However in this case, having been in both places, your argument seems strong. If I can find two other persons that have been to both places to corroborate this, I'll update my list for it i.e put Aba ahead of Onitsha. As regards Ibadan however, I can't put any of those two above Ibadan.

Your vituperation is completely uncalled for.
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by ebere1712: 4:44am On Nov 23, 2012
Aba
Onitsha
Nnewi
Lagos
Portharcourt
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by cjrane: 5:38am On Nov 23, 2012
Another jaundiced useless yorober thread designed to create unnecessary tension and rivalry. Seun and his likes would not ban such chauvinistic tribal and irrelevant threads such as this one. But say one word about yorober, and you are banned for a month.As if you can't use another name.msshhhhhhhheeeeeeewwwwwwww!
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by ba7man(m): 7:31am On Nov 23, 2012
Pls, people should stop including Abuja in their list, Government allocations and corruption is the "economic activity" there. The Nigerian economy will even improve if Abuja is scrapped.
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by ba7man(m): 7:34am On Nov 23, 2012
cjrane: Another jaundiced useless yorober thread designed to create unnecessary tension and rivalry. Seun and his likes would not ban such chauvinistic tribal and irrelevant threads such as this one. But say one word about yorober, and you are banned for a month.As if you can't use another name.msshhhhhhhheeeeeeewwwwwwww!
Dude this is a peaceful thread and everyone is airing their opinions. If you are frustrated with life or your wife/girl is refusing u sex this is the wrong place to vent your anger. There are lots of transformers to hug and bridges to jump off.
Re: Which Cities Are Nigeria's Most Important Economically? by KB524(m): 6:37pm On May 30, 2016
fulfillment2020:
. Another senseless post from an ethnic clouded bigoted primitive yooroba man. Just naming all the browned-zinc western city just to show your ignorance.

Check Ife-Eco's post again. She was talking about commerce on a day-to-day level. On that level, Aba is King.Another po

I reason with your comment. I have not been to both places but I need not go there before I know what's going on there.

However in this case, having been in both places, your argument seems strong. If I can find two other persons that have been to both places to corroborate this, I'll update my list for it i.e put Aba ahead of Onitsha. As regards Ibadan however, I can't put any of those two above Ibadan.
You blamed some one of what is actually obvious from your post and comment.you are such a tribalist. And sectionalist consumed by sentiments coupled with ignorance of basic facts of Nigeria.All you know and want is east.But this guy made a professional and objective post,where he systematically and critically examine the states and their true facts,make research and post only with objective mind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

#bringbackoursoldiers Now Trending On Twitter (screenshots) / Ganduje Sacks Salihu Tanko Yakasai Over "Unguarded Comments" / Dibu Ojerinde, Sons, Daughter-In-Law Docked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.