Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,404 members, 7,819,431 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me (1870 Views)

Nigerian Man Goes On Dragons Den, Wants Money To Start A Church. / Mko Abiola's Daughter Bags £100,000 Deal At Dragons Den Uk / Dragons Den $$$$$$$$$ (Nigeria) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by itsolajide: 3:31pm On Aug 21, 2008
What have you learnt from the programme Dragons Den. Besides what we see on TV, share lessons you have learnt so we can all benefit further.

For example, I have discovered that GOOD and DETAILED PLANNING is the foundation for a successful business, not money.

What lessons have you learnt?

Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by sunshineky(m): 9:24pm On Aug 21, 2008
guy uou are just too correct. sometimes all we need
is good detailed plannin, nice common sense, getting
mentors to look tru our plans.

some of d guys dat were devoured by d sadist dragons
(who in my opinion just came to hav fun on young biz
people) do not hav comin to d den.

cant imagine made adult dragons takin so muc percentages
from baby drogons-in-d-makin.

wish more-to-be-devoured baby dragons balm to dull dere pain.
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by lobinoxebe(m): 9:48am On Aug 22, 2008
yeah cool
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by funkifunmi(f): 10:51am On Aug 23, 2008
I love Dragon Den - it's a great show. For any fan of the show I would recommend Duncan Bannatyne's book- it is very inspiring.

The biggest thing I've learnt about the show is - only go on the show for free advertising. Cause if you've got a good idea they will screw you with crazy % for a business you've slaved over, If you have a bad idea they will make you look like a fool on TV.

The show proves the saying money makes money!
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by itsolajide: 2:31pm On Aug 23, 2008
funkifunmi:

I love Dragon Den - it's a great show. For any fan of the show I would recommend Duncan Bannatyne's book- it is very inspiring.

The biggest thing I've learnt about the show is - only go on the show for free advertising. Cause if you've got a good idea they will screw you with crazy % for a business you've slaved over, If you have a bad idea they will make you look like a fool on TV.

I love your comment especially making us notice we can go for a ------- FREE ADVERT!!! ----------
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by sleekymag(m): 3:57pm On Aug 23, 2008
I think Dragon's Den Nigeria is just another way to make the sponsors seem as though they are contributing to entrepreneurship in Nigeria, when in actual fact all they are doing is promoting themselves and making money from those who want to be part of the show (with the PIN issue) i.e. UBA and MTN.

I think they deliberately do not choose those with brilliant business plans and ideas but rather choose more of those with flawed ideas and plans, so they can make the dragons not part with their money, as much as possible (and selectively choose those whom they think would benefit from the scheme, i won't be surprised if those people have a customer relation with UBA, as in have accounts with them 4 sometime). I can't believe the number of those who appear on screen to make a fool of themselves, when in actual fact, they knew such pple would make a fool of themselves. I know a few people with really brilliant ideas and products/services that registered but nothing for them as per appearing on the show. So to me, it's just one of those arranged mediocre shows on TV.
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by ayomifull(f): 11:52am On Aug 27, 2008
itsolajide:

I love your comment especially making us notice we can go for a ------- FREE ADVERT!!! ----------

Not really it depends, i think it actually sells off people's business ideas for free to the disadvantage of the poor enterpr who have no capital to do the biz but has the idea. Some rich guys have the money but not the idea they will sure 'steal' those ideas and since they have the capital before you know it they are into someone's buz idea just for free so its not to their advantage but disadvantage.
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by kokorunna(m): 2:03pm On Sep 23, 2008
The nigerian dragon den is a good programme but majority of people appearing on it have good ideas but do little research on their project.

Business Plan - Zero
Presentation Skills - Zero
Common Sense - Zero
Profit Margain - Zero

It just seems that some people just want to appear on the show, majority make a fool of themselves.
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by infocus(m): 3:42pm On Oct 04, 2008
We need sound idea and good planning to succeed in business not necessary lot of money.
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by gbengaijot(m): 11:59pm On Oct 07, 2008
sunshineky:

some of d guys that were devoured by d sadist dragons
(who in my opinion just came to hav fun on young biz
people) do not hav comin to d den.

can't imagine made adult dragons takin so muc percentages
from baby drogons-in-d-makin.

If i am investing all my capital into a business, i am the one taking the bigger risk, so i expect to get more percentage. Moreover, the show is not a charity. This is proper business!!!

funkifunmi:

Yes you are right, the show gives free advert. However, even if you go to the bank to loan money to finance your business, you'll still have to pay crazy interest.

sleekymag:

I think Dragon's Den Nigeria is just another way to make the sponsors seem as though they are contributing to entrepreneurship in Nigeria, when in actual fact all they are doing is promoting themselves and making money from those who want to be part of the show (with the PIN issue) i.e. UBA and MTN.

I think they deliberately do not choose those with brilliant business plans and ideas but rather choose more of those with flawed ideas and plans, so they can make the dragons not part with their money, as much as possible (and selectively choose those whom they think would benefit from the scheme, i won't be surprised if those people have a customer relation with UBA, as in have accounts with them 4 sometime). I can't believe the number of those who appear on screen to make a fool of themselves, when in actual fact, they knew such people would make a fool of themselves. I know a few people with really brilliant ideas and products/services that registered but nothing for them as per appearing on the show. So to me, it's just one of those arranged mediocre shows on TV.
Jeezzzz, i am surprised at his. I expect proofs that they deliberately do not choose people with brilliant ideas. its not just about the ideas, its about the know how of the business, writing a good business plan, understanding the marketing terrain, competitive advantage and the rest. 90% of everyone that came on the show has a good biz idea, the question is; how many of them can display thorough planning and wherewithal?

kokorunna:

The nigerian dragon den is a good programme but majority of people appearing on it have good ideas but do little research on their project.

Business Plan - Zero
Presentation Skills - Zero
Common Sense - Zero
Profit Margain - Zero

It just seems that some people just want to appear on the show, majority make a fool of themselves.

I agree with you 100%. I have met loads of young entrepreneurs in the last five years at various programmes, seminars i attend. One guy once told me he need 2 million for a business and i asked how much he's made before and he could not point to just one proper sale on his biz idea. The biz idea does not even have business plan, no market survey. Yet he claims that no one was interested in his business idea.

I totally believe that YOU DO NOT NEED CAPITAL to start any business. Start first, before you start asking for capital.
Re: What "DRAGONS DEN" Has Taught Me by sojioguns(m): 10:04am On Oct 13, 2008
I would have loved to see SUCCESSFUL businessmen as dragons (eg Ben Bruce) not people that were born into money and had money to play with. If I had plenty of money to play with and a Harvard degree (even if I didnt attend class), of course I would have something to show for it.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Passes Wharf Landing Bill / Please Confirm This? / How Secure Is Letter Of Credit ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.