Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Do You Draw Comics? Manga? - Art, Graphics & Video (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Do You Draw Comics? Manga? (40746 Views)

Oscar Ukonu: The Nigerian Who Can Draw Everything With Pen / You Draw With Pencil And Paper, I Draw With Yarn And Hook - Crochet / Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by CoolMrsT(f): 3:46am On Oct 26, 2007
whew how sweet! A manga thread on nairaland! Whew, so much nice work here. Thank you Gamine for statting the thread (AND FOR BREAKING THE BARRIER, NOT ALL GOOD MANGA ARTISTS ARE GUYS!) In fact MOST successful manga artists are women! (at least in Asia, ) Ever hear of CLAMP Studios, all women!. But I stray from da topic,
want to congratulate so many nice works I see here (love Naija Boy). There is a nice free drawing and animation prog you can d/l at serif, search serif/DrawPlus. There are two, the 6.0 costs about $10 but the 4.0 is free and has plenty to work with. Those of you who are serious about your manga also check out newtype.com. That's the manga/animation industry's world's largest magazine (and they DO publish unknowns and you can submit by email so you don't lose your original. I had the good fortune to get published in April 2006 issue, I will upload the scan soon as my scanner speaks to me again so you can see it.) And yeah, I'm not only female, I'm over 40 and still drawing manga like a maniac. CHEERS!
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by CoolMrsT(f): 4:36am On Oct 26, 2007
@ Kemji,
At the risk of being fried the moment I arrive on scene I have to add my two cents worth. Your character isn't all that flawed. First, in almost EVERY MANGA in Asia, there is at least one "gender-challenged" character, so the lipstick is an option. Yes there are both Chinese and Japanese elements in his sword and clothing (and for those of you who don't think a woman can know about samurai weapons guess again, I am a student of Kendo, "The way of the Sword", that's SAMURAI swordplay the OLD FASHIONED WAY, plus I collect swords, knives, and just about anything sharp that can be thrown, LOL). But that dichotomy of style is cool too, the lead character in Samurai Champloo is a scruffy samurai that looks more like he's break dancing or doing caporeira than traditional swordplay, and his clothes are whatever he happened across that was clean. So while some valid criticisms were made, you don't necessarily have to change your character. Oddballs work, especially in manga. As for his name, well, you have a LOT going on there meaning-wise. "hei" in Japanese means "army", but yoshi, that's just a turtle from the Mario Bros. games. If it had been Heihachi, then it would either mean "adopted child of the army" or "army of chopsticks" depending which you want to go with (my guess would be the adopted child thing, though if you are keeping the oddball aspect, the chopsticks could work too, lol). Mitserugi is a sword STYLE (as per Kenshin), Ken literally means sword, mitserugi means pretty close to abandoning or forsaking (as in Kenshin's forsaking the style that kills and embracing the reverse-blade sword) Lou is def a Chinese surname. If you want to be consistant in the Japanese vein, at least with your name, my advice is google a Japanese dictionary that gives both English and Roman-ji (that's phonetic spelling of what the Japanese characters say, how to say the word). Then you get both the sound you want AND the meaning too.
Anata wa shukufuku o inoru desu, (that's "I ask Divine Blessings for you")

1 Like

Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 2:09pm On Oct 27, 2007
Mrs Cool T. lol

that is sooo awesome, ur lightyears ahead of me!

finally a mentor!!!.lol

it was so nice to see ur post

it has given me a new boost of energy to keep my drawing on

ive applied for my masters at academy of art san francisco, cn u giv me the
name of any good art n graphics school.

thank u soooooo much smiley)
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by NSNA: 9:44pm On Oct 28, 2007
Gamine:

ive applied for my masters at academy of art san francisco, cn u giv me the
name of any good art n graphics school.

Vancouver film school
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by dakmanzero(m): 7:02pm On Oct 29, 2007
lol.

We were just pulling Kemji's legs. He has the patience of a saint and we were trying to see if we could get him worked up by badmouthing his obviously pretty cool character. Of course he didn't take the bait!

He's different from most artists- he's good natured and doesnt take criticisms to heart!

Mrs. T:

On translations, Isn't Yoshi a common japanese name? I thought the turtles from the mario games were called koopas? And doesnt Mitsurigi mean honorable sword or something, There's at least one character called Mitsurugi in soul blade. Kenshin's sword style was 'hiten mitsurugi ryu or 'soaring heaven honorable sword school' wasn't it? And is there really a connection between mitsurugi and the way of repentance? Afterall, there are other hiten mitsurugi ryu practitioners that kill without qualms (seijiro hiko anyone), and I do understand that the ama kakeru ryu no hirameki was originally supposed to be unavailable to people with Kenshin's self-deprecating philosophy? , meh, too much anime,
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 7:29pm On Oct 29, 2007
aack

this manga talk is explosive!!!

i checked out vancouver, imnottoo keen on canadian schools tho
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Seun(m): 7:32pm On Oct 29, 2007
Which one is Vancouver? Just buy a few books on how to write comics and start practicing.
Practice makes perfect, especially in art. You of all people should know this already. Vancouver ko.
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by theboy0808(m): 10:07pm On Oct 29, 2007
;d
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by adjain(m): 9:19am On Oct 30, 2007
Seun, i never knew you can react like this.
what did vancouver do to you?
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 10:17am On Oct 30, 2007
lol

Dont mind that Seun tongue

i wonder who told him i only want to do comics!!! embarassed
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by NSNA: 11:18pm On Oct 30, 2007
Gamine:

i checked out vancouver, imnottoo keen on canadian schools tho
Seun:

Which one is Vancouver? Just buy a few books on how to write comics and start practicing.
Practice makes perfect, especially in art. You of all people should know this already. Vancouver ko.
adjain:

Seun, i never knew you can react like this.
what did vancouver do to you?

you guys are quite funny,
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 10:54am On Nov 01, 2007
NSNA

my comment wasnt funny ok.

Canada holds no pleasure for me.
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by grafikdon: 1:43pm On Nov 01, 2007
lol. . .
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 9:32pm On Nov 01, 2007
whuts funny about this thread!!
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by zPixel(m): 6:18pm On Nov 02, 2007
whuts funny about this thread!!

Your dry jokes grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cry
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by grafikdon: 7:02pm On Nov 03, 2007
zPixel:

Your dry jokes grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cry

Gamine has black belt in Taekwando and 'Chow Pow'. . . get ready to receive your first butt whuppin' from a beautiful girl. . . cool
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 7:56pm On Nov 03, 2007
ha ha heh he heh

Grafikdon there was no need stating the obvious

i can assure that at dis moment he has been dealt with
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by grafikdon: 1:57am On Nov 04, 2007
Gamine:

ha ha heh he heh

Grafikdon there was no need stating the obvious

i can assure that at this moment he has been dealt with

grin grin No wonder my homeboy Pixel vanished into thin air. . . those mango sized bumps on his head (as a result of butt/head whuppin') gotta take a while to heal. . .
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 5:07pm On Nov 08, 2007
lol
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Kemjisuper(m): 7:02pm On Nov 12, 2007
Hi all, just back from the NYSC prison called "Orientation Camp" Which features 3 weeks of gruelling hardcore live gaming activities which puts you fully into the heat of the action with live Soldiers snapping at your heels and poor facilities which looks like something out of "Black Hawk Down". Anyways, we survived as usual and we're back to the good life.

Thanks Cool Mrs T. for all the helpful manga advice, you really have put years into it.

Kudos to Gamine for starting the thread in the first instance.

To the rest of the gurus, keep it up!

Cheers
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by moondust(m): 10:02am On Nov 13, 2007
wow!!! not been on this thread for ages now. . .howzit goin all?
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by encubed(m): 4:42pm On Nov 22, 2007
I'm not rily into animation. I draw portraits. I'll post 1 soon.
Any tips though on animation?
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by akx(m): 5:16pm On Dec 19, 2007
any naruto fan art out there?
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2007
You guys are really talented. Your drawings are spectacular, keep up the good workkiss kiss kiss. I wish I could draw
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by cilos(m): 10:14am On Dec 24, 2007
grafikdon, i must say that i find your work amazing and i 'd like to meet you some how.you can send me a text on 08062789511. i am also a art person although studying computer sc in school. i ll be expecting your message
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Artboy(m): 4:07pm On Feb 21, 2008
from scanned drawing to "inking" in coreldraw, to coloring and shading in photoshop

Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Gamine(f): 2:55pm On Feb 22, 2008
Artboy

fine fine

i need a scanner in my life o
its hindering me progress
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Kemjisuper(m): 7:48pm On Feb 24, 2008
Artboy:

from scanned drawing to "inking" in coreldraw, to coloring and shading in photoshop

I've gotta try that sometime too.

Good job!

Cheers
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Artboy(m): 5:40pm On Feb 28, 2008
Here's another one, tried to get the "comic book" effect (but didn't quite cut it), and yes I know he's faceless!

Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by justbones(m): 2:50pm On Mar 05, 2008
law breaker you again ur making me feel like have been playing for the past few years (which i have)
anyway see wat i did
painted by me and drawn by some guy on the net

Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Kemjisuper(m): 12:47pm On Mar 06, 2008
justbones:

law breaker you again your making me feel like have been playing for the past few years (which i have)
anyway see what i did
painted by me and drawn by some guy on the net

Oga Justbones,
I need tips O! Tell me how you do your thing. For starters, I've downloaded Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Cheers
Re: Do You Draw Comics? Manga? by Artboy(m): 3:45pm On Mar 06, 2008
@justbones: wicked coloring! its pretty close to digital painting. I've always wanted to do som'n like that. keep it up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Heavily-tatooed Man With 3D Tattoo on Entire Skin, Eye / NEED A PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS DESIGNER?... COME IN HERE!!!! / A Visit To Nike Art Gallery Nigeria. (photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.