Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,808 members, 7,956,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:30 PM

US Open 2008 - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open 2008 (5853 Views)

Poll: Who will win the US Open?

Nadal: 24% (7 votes)
Federer: 48% (14 votes)
Djokovic: 3% (1 vote)
Ferrer: 10% (3 votes)
Nalbandian: 0% (0 votes)
Tsonga: 6% (2 votes)
Murray: 6% (2 votes)
Other: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Us Open Tennis 2011: Djokovic Vs Nadal Live / Official Thread Of The Us Open Tennis Tournament / Tennis: US Open 2009 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Open 2008 by bioye(m): 11:27am On Sep 09, 2008
femzy:

You would have to admit that RF's backhand was 1st Class last night.
Nope. On the other hand, I was shocked that Murray did not exploit Federer's backhand more often. He kept bringing the ball back to arguably the most dangerous forehand the tennis world has ever seen. Personally, I think Murray did not try enough. The 2nd set belonged to him!

Thor:

RF is at the end of his career and Murray is at the start grin grin

Well, would you also say Serena is at the end of her career too? Both Roger and Serena are just turning 27. And both of them are still [/b]at the top of them game right now. I wont be surprised if these 2 are still winning grand slam titles [b]5 years from now.
Re: US Open 2008 by JeSoul(f): 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2008
I'm predicting at least 4 more majors for Roger . . . who's going to challenge him consistently besides Nadal? He's still playing at an extremely high level for an "old man" in tennis years. Agassi and Sampras were able to squeeze out in their latter years, Federer will do the same.
Re: US Open 2008 by A40(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Jesoul
Baby momma won like i knew she would grin.Dont tell me you are down with the Republicans undecided

Murray was just too easy for Fed i would have preferred Nadal cos he would have made him work
Re: US Open 2008 by JeSoul(f): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2008
A-40:

@Jesoul
Baby momma won like i knew she would grin.
Whatever you fed her the night before certainly worked hehe . . . cheesy

Dont tell me you are down with the Republicans undecided
Republicans ke? Both parties stink to the high heavens! angry
BUT I'm def down with Sarah Palin! cheesy . . . we just shot down a huge moose and will be grilling it for dinner.

Murray was just too easy for Fed i would have preferred Nadal because he would have made him work
No way no. I don't want Nadal anywhere near my husband smiley . . . he is his albatross right now. And I don't want anything in the way of him surpassing Sampras as the greatest ever.
Re: US Open 2008 by A40(m): 3:40pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Jesoul
A good dose of black chocolate grin

As for Sarah Palin i dont know too much about her but the Republicans suck thats for sure na only war dey their brain.Economy na 0,Health 0,Education nada

As for Fed its only a matter of time he would definitely break Sampras's record and Nadal will break it after him grin
Re: US Open 2008 by JeSoul(f): 4:15pm On Sep 09, 2008
A-40:

@Jesoul
A good dose of black chocolate grin
  are you sure that was all? I eat chocolate all the time but I still have no grand slam trophies on my living room mantle.

As for Sarah Palin i don't know too much about her but the Republicans suck thats for sure na only war dey their brain.Economy na 0,Health 0,Education nada

My dear poltics is a dilemma. The democrats stand on moral/societal issues disgust me, the republicans stand on economic/foreign issues annoy me & my wallet.  undecided  Palin appears to represent something different, time will tell. Her short resume tells me she's capable of great things . . . including making an excellent hiking/hunting guide  cheesy

As for Fed its only a matter of time he would definitely break Sampras's record and Nadal will break it after him grin
  angry  angry  God forbid such a thing!  cheesy  cheesy  cool  No man in capris will hold the greatest record in tennis! no way!  smiley  cool
Re: US Open 2008 by A40(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Jesoul
This chocolate is of a special kind the type shared between black lovers lol

Politics has never really been my thing but i just dont like those Republican cats they have killed the dollar,caused recession all over the place!! they just suck

Well time will tell lets see who lasts the distance Nadal or Federer
Re: US Open 2008 by JeSoul(f): 6:48pm On Sep 09, 2008
hmmm this kin special lovers chocolate wey dey make people win majors . . . which store can I find it? Walmart? abi Lindt? or Shaws? grin
Re: US Open 2008 by doyin13(m): 9:57pm On Sep 09, 2008
Almost no dey kill bird oo, but e still worth mentioning.

I was the only one who backed Murray to win the title
and he almost delivered

Almost
Re: US Open 2008 by dyabman(m): 2:21am On Sep 10, 2008
Its no surprise that sports fans, not just tennis fans, keep talking about whether Roger Federer is the best tennis player to have ever lived, as it has a good argument, not just from us fans but even the best players who have ever lived, that he should receive that title.

Pete Sampras said that he will attend the match where Roger aims to break, not equal, his staggering record of 14 slams. Is that not a sign of respect that given all that the fans think they know about tennis, that one of the games legends expects and has already pencilled in the slams over the years so he doesn't miss that history breaking event?

What is apparent is that Roger Federer loves playing tennis, whether thats winning his normal standard of 3 slams a year, or making Nadal play not just his best tennis, but the 'best match ever' just to take a slam away from him that he cares about? As lets face it, Federer admitted losing Rolland Garros meant nothing, losing Wimbledon meant everything.

Andy Murray stated a very important fact in his 2008 US Open post match interview, Roger Federer has made the Rolland Garros final three years running (record), and has lost to 'hands down' the best clay court player of all time, therefore Roger Federer surely has to be the greatest overall of all time, maybe winning a Rolland Garros is not necessary anymore, has he not proved enough?

I am a huge fan of Nadal, but lets face it, Rafael Nadal, the second best player thats been around for a long time, has enjoyed his best year of collecting titles since being a top ten player this year, with a semi at the Australian, Rolland Garros and Wimbledon titles, and semi at the US Open as well as an Olympic Gold singles medal. Roger Federer's worst year for titles since a top ten player has been this year, semi at Australian (with mono), final of Rolland Garros, final of Wimbledon, and won the US Open as well as an Olympic Gold doubles medal.

I mean lets be honest, like Roddick said when losing to Djokovic in the quarters of the US Open, I'd kill for Federer's worst year, I'd do anything.

To conclude this post, Rafa Nadal quotes whist on court having won his first wimbledon:

"This is an amazing dream for me, beating the best man of history, I am very happy"

So if Nadal believes it, Sampras believes it, Murray believes it, why shouldn't we?
Re: US Open 2008 by grandjedi(m): 2:35pm On Sep 10, 2008
dyabman:

Its no surprise that sports fans, not just tennis fans, keep talking about whether Roger Federer is the best tennis player to have ever lived, as it has a good argument, not just from us fans but even the best players who have ever lived, that he should receive that title.

Pete Sampras said that he will attend the match where Roger aims to break, not equal, his staggering record of 14 slams. Is that not a sign of respect that given all that the fans think they know about tennis, that one of the games legends expects and has already pencilled in the slams over the years so he doesn't miss that history breaking event?

What is apparent is that Roger Federer loves playing tennis, whether thats winning his normal standard of 3 slams a year, or making Nadal play not just his best tennis, but the 'best match ever' just to take a slam away from him that he cares about? As lets face it, Federer admitted losing Rolland Garros meant nothing, losing Wimbledon meant everything.

Andy Murray stated a very important fact in his 2008 US Open post match interview, Roger Federer has made the Rolland Garros final three years running (record), and has lost to 'hands down' the best clay court player of all time, therefore Roger Federer surely has to be the greatest overall of all time, maybe winning a Rolland Garros is not necessary anymore, has he not proved enough?

I am a huge fan of Nadal, but lets face it, Rafael Nadal, the second best player thats been around for a long time, has enjoyed his best year of collecting titles since being a top ten player this year, with a semi at the Australian, Rolland Garros and Wimbledon titles, and semi at the US Open as well as an Olympic Gold singles medal. Roger Federer's worst year for titles since a top ten player has been this year, semi at Australian (with mono), final of Rolland Garros, final of Wimbledon, and won the US Open as well as an Olympic Gold doubles medal.

I mean lets be honest, like Roddick said when losing to Djokovic in the quarters of the US Open, I'D kill for Federer's worst year, I'D do anything.

To conclude this post, Rafa Nadal quotes whist on court having won his first wimbledon:

"This is an amazing dream for me, beating the best man of history, I am very happy"

So if Nadal believes it, Sampras believes it, Murray believes it, why shouldn't we?

Spot on !
I so like RF and I'm so happy that he won the US Open. The guy has been in the mould of my past heroes like Pete Sampras, Ivan Lendl etc.
He's very consistent. Nadal is very good too and still young but I don't think he'll get to Roger Federer's heights.
Re: US Open 2008 by A40(m): 6:09pm On Sep 10, 2008
@Jesoul
Try A-40's thats the only place you can find it lol
Re: US Open 2008 by JeSoul(f): 9:11pm On Sep 11, 2008
A-40:

@Jesoul
Try A-40's thats the only place you can find it lol
How much is it going for? cheesy
Re: US Open 2008 by A40(m): 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2008
@Jesoul
Since you are my girl i will give it to you for a Free.99 lol grin
Re: US Open 2008 by JeSoul(f): 3:18pm On Sep 12, 2008
grin cool God will bless you!
Re: US Open 2008 by A40(m): 8:44pm On Sep 12, 2008
@Jesoul
Amen ooh and you too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped / Two Odd Special / George Weah Or Abedi Pele, Who’s The Real African Football Legend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.