Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,151 members, 7,842,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? - Islam for Muslims (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? (60837 Views)

Muslims What Is JIZZYA? / Muslims, What's Happening In Your Life? A Brother Needs your Assistance. Page 15 / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:47pm On Apr 25, 2008
The Six rights of a Muslim,

The noble prophet Muhammad (SAW) said:

"No one of you shall become a true believer until he desires for his brother what he desires for himself." [Sahih al-Bukhari]

Surely the best way for us to please our brother is to place him high in our estimation and do for him what we would like for ourselves. The Prophet gave us comprehensive direction on how to sustain brotherhood. He said: "There are six rights of a Muslim upon a Muslim:, "

", When you meet him, greet him;, " With a warm smile, a friendly face and As-Salaam Alaykum is the best way to meet a brother. We must avoid picking and choosing whom we confer this basic right upon. All Muslims regardless of their social status and position in society should be afforded this "gateway" into our personal space. The Salaam is the best of icebreakers as it immediately brings down the barriers that we unconsciously erect around ourselves to shield us from "alien invasion".

, When he invites you, respond to him;, " When a Muslim invites you to a celebration, you are obliged to go, even if he didn't attend the Eid celebration you had last year. Accepting an invitation for a wedding celebration or the naming of a child is about sharing in the joys of a brother as well as joining with other Muslims in a social gathering.

", When he seeks counsel, give him advice;, " When a brother comes to you with a problem, seeking advice, give him what he requires even if it means that you are undermining yourself in the process. Remember, you desire the best for him, don't you? Be sincere in your advice. Never take what has been told to you in confidence to another person except to demonstrate a point; even then, his identity must not be disclosed or alluded to.

", When he sneezes and praises Allah, say to him: 'May Allah have mercy on you (Yarhamuk-Allah)', " . When a Muslim sneezes, yawns, lets one go, or even when he trips and he remembers to praise Allah, we must respond to him with a prayer for Allah to have mercy on him. If we find a brother either negligent or ignorant of the need to praise Allah in all things, then we must set him right as far as his responsibility to himself and to others. The lesson is: praise Allah in all condition and appreciate the one who does this!

", When he is sick, visit him, " When you go and visit a sick, take a small gift along with you that will help lift his spirits. If you are unable to afford a gift, then ensure that you go armed with words of encouragement and hope from the Qur'an and Sunnah. Don't be put off by the fact that the brother is much more learned than you – you are there to lift his spirits, not to compete against him. Pray for him and let him pray for you too.

", And when he dies, follow his funeral, " Attending the last rites of a brother is of utmost importance. Speaking well of him and seeking forgiveness for him will ease his condition in the grave with regards to questioning, bliss and punishment. Upon following him to the grave, one should now not turn his back on (abandon) him. Not abandoning him after his death is to take care of his families, remembering him in du’a regularly, and doing sadaqah (charity) on his behalf.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 2:55pm On May 02, 2008
[center] Khutba: Every soul shall taste death[/center]

Yaa IbaadAllaah, take heed of what Allaah says in the Qur'aan:

"Everyone is going to taste death, and We shall make a trial of you with evil and good, and to Us you will be returned." (21:35)

Indeed, Allaah's promise will be fulfilled. The Death is something so inevitable, yet so very often forgotten.

Each day that passes, each day we breathe, each day we go about our lives, sinning or doing good, is but a day closer to our end, closer to our return to our Creator - Allaah the All-Mighty. Many of us, have at some point in our lives, lost a close relative or a close friend. True, we shed tears, we show remorse and we show sadness - but I ask you yaa IbaadAllaah, what did you learn?, how did you reflect it upon you own self

Allaah says in the Qur'aan

"Then why do you not [intervene] when [the soul of a dying person] reaches the throat?" (56:83)

"And you at the moment are looking on." (56:84)

"But We [i.e. Our Angels that take the soul] are nearer to him than you, but you see not." (56:85)

Perhaps you think that death is yet a distance from you and you will not taste it until at a later age, or perhaps when you think that you are better prepared for it's coming, and indeed this way of thinking arises only from falsehood!

It was once said "The night and the day are like two treasure-chests. So be careful of what you do in them."

Mujaahid (d.104H) said, "Not a day passes which does not say 'O son of Adam, I have come to you today and I will never come to you again, So be careful of what you do during my stay!'"

When the day has passed, it is folded up and sealed, never to be re-opened by anyone until Allaah re-opens it on the Day of Judgement!

There is a poem that goes :

"Life is nothing other than a road,
that leads to the Garden,
or to the Fire.
Its night's are a man's workshop,
And its days are his market place,
So time is surely the servants capital."

Many a times are we told off about the death in the light of the Qur'aan and Sunnah.

"It is Allaah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)

See you not then, that Allaah has already decreed the time of your death, be you going about your daily business or be you asleep - your time has been written and your soul will be taken out accordingly to your deeds.

Look to what the Messenger of Allaah SAW said about those who disbelieved in Allaah ,

"The Angel of death says, 'O you foul soul, come out to the anger and wrath of your Lord'. The soul inside the disbeliever's body is overcome by terrible fear [and does not want to deliver itself up], whereupon the Angel of death violently pulls it out like multi-pronged skewers being yanked out of wet wool - tearing with them the arteries and nerves." (Hadith Saheeh)

But for those who believed in Allaah, then ,

"The angel of death comes to the dying believer, sits at his head and says 'O you good soul, come out and receive your Lords forgiveness and pleasure'. Then the soul slows out effortlessly, just as water flows from the mouth of a water skin." (Hadith Saheeh)

Ya IbaadAllaah, these are but only a few reminders from the Qur'aan and Sunnah. Indeed our time of leaving the Dunya is but closer than we think. But are we prepared for it's coming?, have we truly been dutiful to Allaah's commands in this life? Have our hearts become so hard that we shed no tears out of fear of meeting with out Lord? What will you do? What will you say? After death has come unto you? - Indeed those who did wrong in this life, will surely wish they could come back to this life and to have another chance to do good, and by this time, it will be too late ,

And Allaah gives us a clear warning in the Qur'aan ,

"And of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds until death faces one of them and he says: 'Now I repent' Nor of those who die while they are disbeliever's. For them we have prepared a painful torment." (4:18)

It is reported that al-Bara 'bin 'Azib said: "We went out with the Prophet SAW in order to participate in the funeral rites of a man from the Ansar. We arrived at the grave, but the inner chamber had not been prepared yet; so Allaah's Messenger SAW sat down facing the direction of the Qiblah, and we sat around him so attentively that it was as if birds were sitting upon our heads. He had a stick in his hand with which he sketched upon the ground. Then he began looking alternately to the heavens and to the earth, raising his gaze and then lowering it. Finally, he said two or three times, 'Seek refuge in Allaah from the torment of the grave.' Then he said, 'O Allaah, verily I seek refuge in You from the torment of the grave.' He repeated it three times, then he elaborated,

'Verily, when the believing servant is leaving this world and entering the next, angels from the heavens descend to him - their faces white with brightness like the sun and carrying with them burial sheets and scents from Paradise. They sit before him at a distance as far as the eye can see. Then the Angel of Death (upon whom be peace) comes to the person, sits at his head and says, "O good soul [and in another narration "O confident soul"], come out to your Lord's forgiveness and pleasure. "' [The Prophet SAW continued],

'There upon the soul flows out of the body like water flowing from the mouth of a water skin, and all of the angels between the skies and the earth supplicate for Allays blessing upon him. The doors of the heavens are opened for him, and the keepers of these doors [i.e., the angels all plead with Allaah that this soul might pass in front of them as it is being carried upward. The Angel of Death barely receives the soul in his hands, whereupon the other angels take it from him and wrap it with fragrant winding sheets. This is what is meant by Allaah's saying,

"Our messengers [i.e., angels] seize his soul, and they do not fall short of their duty."'

Then the Prophet SAW said, 'There exudes from the soul a scent like the most beautiful fragrance of musk that one could find on the face of the earth. The angels ascend with the soul never passing a host of angels without hearing them ask, "Who is this wonderful soul?" They reply, "So and so, the son of so and so," addressing him with the best names he was known by during his earthly life.

Upon reaching the first heaven, the angels request that it be opened for the soul - which is granted The soul is then accompanied by the angels of each heaven until it reaches the one above it and finally arrives at the seventh heaven. Then Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic, says [to the angels], "Place the record of My servant in 'illiyyun."'

"And what will explain to you what 'illiyyun' is? [it is] a written record, witnessed by those brought near to their Lord." (83:19-21)

The person's record is then placed in 'illiyyun, whereupon a command is heard: "Return him to the earth, for verily I have promised mankind that having created them from the earth, I will return them to it. And l will make them come out of it, yet another time. " Then the soul is returned to the earth back into its body. Verily, the deceased hears the shuffling feet of his companions who attended his burial as they tam away and leave his grave.

Thereupon, two angels, severe in interrogation come to him, and sitting him up, they begin to ask him questions. They say, "Who is your Lord?" He replies, 'Allaah is my Lord. " They continue, "What is your religion?" He answers, 'Islam is my religion " They proceed with the questioning, saying, "Who is this man that has been sent to you?" He responds, 'He is the Messenger of Allaah SAW." Finally, they ask him about his deeds, to which he replies, 'I read Allaah's Book and believed in it."' (In another narration the Prophet SAW indicated that the angels ask, "Who is your Lord, what is your religion and who is your prophet?" [Allaah's Messenger SAW explained that] this was the believer's last test, and it is what is meant when Allaah says,

"Allaah strengthens those who believe with a firm testimony in this worldly life and in the Hereafter."

The deceased answers, "Allaah is my Lord, Islam is my religion, and my prophet is Muhammad."

[The Prophet SAW then indicated, 'Upon the believer's answer to these questions], a voice is heard in the heavens, saying, "My servant has told the truth, so clothe him in the clothing of Paradise, spread for him the furnishings of Paradise, and open for him a window with a view of Paradise." Thereupon, he is engulfed by a breeze of fresh air and fragrance, while the expanse of his grave is extended before him as far as the eye can see.

There appears before him a man with a wonderful face and beautiful clothing, emitting a splendid fragrance. He says to the soul, "Rejoice at the news which will gladden you! Rejoice at Allaah's pleasure and His Paradise, whose joys and delights never end. This is the day which you were promised."

The deceased says to him, "And who are you, for your face bears glad tidings.?! " The figure answers, "I represent your good deeds; by Allaah, I've always known you to be quick in obedience to Allaah and slow to His disobedience. So may Allaah award you with good."

Then a door to Paradise is opened, and a door to the Fire is opened, whereupon his said to him [regarding the Hell fire], "This would have been your final abode had you disobeyed Allaah; however, it has been exchanged for this other abode [i.e., Paradise]. " When the soul sees what is in Paradise, he cries, "My Lord, hasten the arrival of the Hour [i.e., the Resurrection] so that I may be joined with my family and wealth." There upon it is said to him, "Rest in tranquillity. "'

But how many of us can call ourselves true believers? Such that we would be good enough to receive such a reward?

Allaah's Messenger SAW continued, 'When the disbelieving servant and in another narration "sinful servant"] is about to leave this world and enter the next, angels, powerful and severe, descend to him from the heavens - their faces black and carrying with them coarse strips of cloth from Hell. They sit before him at a distance as far as the eye can see.

Then the Angel of Death arrives, and sitting at the head of the disbeliever, he says, "O you foul soul, come out to the anger and wrath of your Lord." The soul inside the disbeliever's body is overcome by tenable fear [and does not want to deliver itself up], whereupon the Angel of Death violently pulls it out like multi-pronged skewers being yanked out of wet wool - tearing with them the arteries and nerves.

Upon this, the soul is cursed by every angel between the earth and the heavens and by those inside the heavens. Then the doors of the heavens are closed to him, and every single guard at these doors begs Allaah that this soul not be carried up in front of him.

'The Prophet SAW continued, 'The Angel of Death barely receives the soul in his hands, whereupon the other angels grasp it from him and wrap it up in coarse cloth. There emits from it the foulest odour that could be found on the face of the earth. They ascend with it, never passing a host of angels without being asked, "Who is this ugly soul?" They reply, "So and so, the son of so and so, " using the worst names by which he was known in this world.

When they arrive at the lowest heaven, they request that it be opened for this soul, but the request is denied. ' At this point Allaah 's Messenger SAW recited the verse:

"The gates of the heavens will not be opened for them, nor will they enter the Garden of Paradise until a camel goes through the eye of a needle."

After that, he continued, 'Then Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic, says [to the angels], "Place his record in sijjeen [a book which contains all of the deeds of the devils and the disbeliever's]- in the lowest earth Return My servant to the earth, for verily I have promised mankind that having created them from the earth, I will return them to it. And I will make them come out of it, yet another time."

Upon this command, the deceased [disbeliever's] soul is thrown down from the sky until it lands in its body. ' The Prophet SAW then recited the verse:

"And whoever ascribes partners with Allaah, it is as though he had fallen from the sky, such that birds snatch him up or the wind throws him to a remote place."

Then he commented, 'Verily [when the soul is returned to its body], the deceased hears the sound of his companions' footsteps as they tam away from his grave.' [The Prophet SAW resumed his explanation, saying 'Then two angels, severe in interrogation come to him, and sitting him up, they begin to question him, who is your Lord? He replies, 'Hah! Hah! (an expression describing a state of surprise, shock and pain) I don't know. " They continue by asking him, "What is your religion?" He answers, 'Hah! Hah! I don t know. ' so they ask, "Then what do you say about this man who was sent to you?" [The disbeliever does not appear to understand who they are referring to, so it is said] 'Muhammad. " Again he states, 'Hah! Hah! I don t know. I only heard people talking about him." Then it is said, "You did not know! And you did not read!"

There upon a voice from the heavens is heard, 'He has lied! So spread out for him a place from the Fire and open for him a window to the Fire."

The searing hot winds of Hell engulf him while his grave closes in upon him, crushing him until his ribcage is broken by the force - causing the ribs of one side to intertwine with the ribs of the other Then there appears to him a person with an ugly face and ugly clothing and exuding a foul odour, who says, "Tidings of evil to you, for this is the day which you were promised!" The deceased says to him, 'And you, too; may Allaah give you evil tidings! Who are you, for yours is a face which portends evil."

The person rejoins, 'I represent your wicked deeds. By Allaah, I have always known you to be slow in obedience to Allaah and quick in disobedience to Him. May Allaah reward you with evil!"

Then one who is deaf, dumb and blind and is carrying an iron rod is sent to the deceased. If he were to strike a mountain with it, the mountain would disintegrate into rubble. He strikes the deceased with a blow, which turns him into dust. Allaah returns the deceased to his original form, whereupon he is struck a second time. This causes him to shriek with such violence that it is heard by all of creation except mankind and jinn.

Then a door to the Fire is opened, and beddings of the Fire are spread for him, whereupon he cries, "Lord, do not establish the Hour! "
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by amodu(m): 8:42pm On May 02, 2008
As-Salam Alaykum Warahmatullah Wabarakatuhu,

May the peace and blessings of Allah (SWT) continue to shower on the Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW), his household, companions and Waliyullah/Khalillah.

I commend my Great Brothers and Sisters for ignoring those insult and not relenting in making the flag of the Great religion flying higher.

I have learnt a lot from the Great Religion throung the messenger of Allah Muhammad (pbuh) and some waliyullah after him (Sheikh Ahmad TIjani (RTA), Sheikh Ibrahim Niyass Al-Kaolaq (RTA) etc.).

Most of this lessons i learnt and still learning from Sheikh Yahya Olorunosebi Oshoala a.k.a. Ajagbemokeferi, Ameer-ul-Muhminin, As-Samadaani (RTA).

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Piacere: 8:03pm On May 03, 2008
One thing we constantly hear from the followers of Islam is that, "There is no compulsion in religion." Perhaps someone could then explain the hadith of sahih Bukhari vol. 1, book 11/ number626. This hadith states quite clearly that Mohammed ordered the the homes, and the people in them , to be burnt for not heeding the call to prayers. Maybe you have a different meaning for the word "compulsion" but as I understand it and the dictionary explains it, compulsion it was.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Piacere: 8:22pm On May 03, 2008
When I take part in a debate and send in a post and find that the "moderators" have changed certain words of my post, even though that post was couched in moderate and polite terms,then it is no longer the act of a moderator, but the act of someone applying censorship. I will say my goodbyes to the other threads I posted on, but after that I will not visit this site again.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:51pm On May 05, 2008
@Piacere

One thing we constantly hear from the followers of The Great Religion is that, "There is no compulsion in religion." Perhaps someone could then explain the hadith of sahih Bukhari vol. 1, book 11/ number626. This hadith states quite clearly that The Great Prophet ordered the the homes, and the people in them , to be burnt for not heeding the call to prayers. Maybe you have a different meaning for the word "compulsion" but as I understand it and the dictionary explains it, compulsion it was.

Do you care to give us the full quote please?

When I take part in a debate and send in a post and find that the "moderators" have changed certain words of my post, even though that post was couched in moderate and polite terms,then it is no longer the act of a moderator, but the act of someone applying censorship. I will say my goodbyes to the other threads I posted on, but after that I will not visit this site again.

Brother, who is deceiving you? You didnt have liver to contribute in threads where Muslims and Christians have been having discussion but here to make mockery of yourself.

If you still want to carry on with your curiosity or what have you, create a thread and we discuss.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Piacere: 11:29am On May 06, 2008
I had not intended to post again but I cannot let babs787 rather asinine comments go unchallenged. You asked for a full quote of Bukhari's hadith. As I gave the reference for that particular hadith I assumed that most people would be able to look it up for themselves, but obviously you are not capable of doing that, so for your benefit, here it is in full.

Narrated Abu Huraira, The Prophet said, No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr and the Isha prayers and if they knew the reward for these prayers at their respective times they would certainly present themselves (in the mosques) even if they had to crawl." The Prophet added, "Certainly I decided to order the Mu'adh dhin (call maker) to pronunce Iqama and order a man to lead the prayer and then take a fire flame to burn all those who had not left their houses so far for the prayer, along with their houses."

Tell me that is not compulsion. As for your remark that I am trying to deceive people, what part of your mind did that spring from? I simply stated that my post had been altered. I did not use the words, "The Great Religion." or "The Great Prophet", but yet they appeared in my post. When a so called moderator alters the wording of a post to suit their own agenda, then that is censorship, something that does not belong in genuine honest debate, and if you can't understand that then there is not much point in continuing. However, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and await your reply.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:30pm On May 06, 2008
@Piacere

I had not intended to post again but I cannot let babs787 rather asinine comments go unchallenged. You asked for a full quote of Bukhari's hadith. As I gave the reference for that particular hadith I assumed that most people would be able to look it up for themselves, but obviously you are not capable of doing that, so for your benefit, here it is in full.

Ok, let us read what you supplied.

Narrated Abu Huraira, The Prophet said, No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr and the Isha prayers and if they knew the reward for these prayers at their respective times they would certainly present themselves (in the mosques) even if they had to crawl." The Prophet added, "Certainly I decided to order the Mu'adh dhin (call maker) to pronunce Iqama and order a man to lead the prayer and then take a fire flame to burn all those who had not left their houses so far for the prayer, along with their houses."

Before I give you detailed response because I learnt that you didnt understand the above, so will not waste much time arguing back and forth with you but will like to ask you few questions:

What volume is the hadith you posted so I go and check myself?

Secondly, since you believe that he compelled people into accepting Islam, can you please serve me where he carried out the above before his death?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:39pm On May 06, 2008
Nine great benefits of reciting the Quran

Indeed to reflect on Allah’s verses is a form of worship that will draw one close to Allah Most High. This reflection is not a reckless and wandering one, rather it includes a study of the classical tafseer of the verses being pondered over, as this would fulfil Ibnul-Qayyim’s great advice, “Such as reflecting over a book which a person has memorised and he expounds it so that he may understand what its author intends by it.”

Indeed the Book of Allah is not a book like any other, it is the timeless Speech of Allah, not a created thing, the study guide for life and death and what comes after. Therefore it deserves a more careful study than anyone else’s speech. It necessitates that its reader return to the early narrations of those who witnessed its revelation and heard its explanation by the one deputed by Allah to rehearse and explain His Words to humanity (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam). For if one would try to ponder over the meanings of the verses without having done this study, then surely the filth of the time that he lives in and his ignorance of the correct application and understanding that the early Muslims had would cause him to understand some things not intended by Allah Most High, and therefore he would go astray, thinking to be worshipping Allah. So every sincere Muslim who hopes to earn Allah’s Love breciting and reflecting over Allah’s Book, then let him hold tight to the meanings explained by the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), and those taught by the companions and their immediate followers, and the early scholars of Islam.

So dear brother and sister Muslim! Know that reciting and pondering over the Book of Allah, devoting your time regularly to its study and implementation has tremendous benefits in this life and the Next, so let us now look to just a few of them to attach ourselves more firmly to Allah’s Majestic Words. Each benefit stands as enough of an encouragement to shun any laziness we have and dedicate ourselves to the Qur’an.

1 - Reading and reflecting over the Qur’an fulfils an Islamic duty.

Indeed the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) summarised this Religion with his statement: “The Religion is naseehah (sincerity)!” So then Tameem ibn Aws, may Allah be pleased with him, then said, “We asked, ‘To whom?’” He said: “To Allah, HIS BOOK, His Messenger, the leaders of the people, and their common folk.” [Muslim] The sincerity that is due to the Book of Allah includes its regular recitation, learning the rules of tajweed and reciting it beautifully, learning about its tafseer and the reasons for its revelation, affirming that it is the Truth, the perfect Speech of Allah and not part of the creation, honoring it and defending it, abiding by the orders and prohibitions found in it, teaching it and calling to it. [See Jaami’ul-’Uloom wal-Hikam of Ibn Rajab Al-Hambalee] So by reading and reflecting over the Qur’an, one fulfills an obligation and is rewarded for that. Upon fulfilling this obligation, the Qur’an then becomes a proof for him on the Day of Judgment! And that is our second benefit we will take by embracing this Noble Book,

2 - The Qur’an will be a proof for us on the Day of Judgment.

This is due to the statement of the Messenger: “And the Qur’an is a proof for you or against you.” [Muslim] So one of two things will occur with this proof, the Book of Allah. It will either be in your favor, a proof for you on the Day when you will need every single good deed, or it will be something standing against you, the very Speech of your Creator, a proof against you! Who could be saved from the terrors of that Day if Allah’s own Speech is against him?!?! Think carefully, dear Muslim brother or sister, about your position with the Qur’an! Are you neglecting it, contradicting it, being heedless of its orders and prohibitions, are you thinking deeply over it?! Will it be on your side on the Day of Judgment.?! O Allah! We ask you, by Your Glorious Speech and the rest of your beautiful Names and Attributes, to make the Qur’an a proof for us! O Allah! Don’t make the Qur’an a proof against us on that Day, and save us from the hellfire! For if Allah makes the Qur’an a proof in our favour on that Day, then it would also be an intercessor for us, when NO intercession will take place except by His Permission.

3 - The Qur’an will intercede for us on the Day of Judgment.

The proof: Aboo Umaamah relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “Read the Qur’an, for verily it will come on the Day of Standing as an intercessor for its companions.” [Muslim]

4 - Your status in this life will be raised.

In Saheeh Muslim, we find a lovely story, about how a man from the people of Jannah, ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattaab, understood this principle. Some men came to question him during his khilaafah about the leadership of Makkah, they asked, “Who do you use to govern Makkah?” He said, “Ibn Abzaa.” They asked, “And who is Ibn Abzaa?” Umar replied, “A freed slave from those we freed.” They remarked, “You left a freed slave in charge of the people of the Valley (the noble tribes of the Quraysh)!?!?” So he answered them, “Verily he is a reader of the Book of Allah and is knowledgeable about the obligations of the Muslims. Haven’t you heard the statement of your Messenger: “Verily Allah raises some people by this Book and lowers others by it.”

5 - You will be from the best of the people.

‘Uthmaan, may Allah be pleased with him, said that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “The best of you are the ones who learn the Qur’an and teach it to others” [Al-Bukhari]

6 - There are ten rewards for each letter you recite from the Qur’an.

As an authentic hadith in At-Tirmithee proves: “Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward. And that reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that “Alif, Laam, Meem” is a letter, rather I am saying that “Alif” is a letter, “laam” is a letter and “meem” is a letter.” So increase your recitation of the Qur’an to gain these merits, and to gain the following merit as well.

7 - The reciters of the Qur’an will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels.

‘Aa’ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “Verily the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

So dear brother or sister Muslim, do not let the Shaytaan give you false excuses, such as “I am not an ‘Arab,” or “Its not my language.” This hadith is a firm proof against these whisperings. Dedicate yourself to the Book of Allah, whether you are an ‘Arab or not! The excuses have been eliminated and the pathway has been cleared for you to embrace the Book of Allah without holding back or offering excuses! And surely you will not hesitate to seek a teacher or a study circle for the Qur’an once you hear the last and perhaps greatest benefits of reading and contemplating over the Qur’an,

8 - Your position in Paradise is determined by the amount of Qur’an you memorize in this life!

‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Amr ibn Al-’Aas heard the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) saying: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: Read and elevate (through the levels of the Paradise ) and beautify your voice as you used to do when you were in the dunyaa! For verily, your position in the Paradise will be at the last verse you recite!” [Aboo Daawood and At-Tirmithee, saheeh]

9 - The Qur’an will lead you to Paradise !

The Prophet said: “The Qur’an is an intercessor, something given permission to intercede, and it is rightfully believed in. Whoever puts it in front of him, it will lead him to Paradise ; whoever puts it behind him, it will steer him to the Hellfire.” [An authentic hadith found in At-Tabaraanee, on the authority of ‘Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood]

Now, dear brother or sister, that these nine benefits from the many benefits available can only be attained by a sincere commitment to the Book of Allah, not by a person’s mere statement, “I love the Qur’an, it’s beautiful.” Rather the heart must be sincerely attached to Allah’s Book and the limbs and tongue will follow in this attachment. You must know that we only mentioned a few of the numerous benefits of reading and reflecting over the Qur’an. There are many benefits that await your reading in the Qur’an and books of hadith, like the chapter of the Qur’an that will argue on your behalf in the grave, and that it is a physical healing, a source of rest and relaxation for your heart, among many other things. And Allah knows best. (Taken from Look 4 Islam)
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Piacere: 7:56am On May 07, 2008
Babs787, you asked that I provide the volume of Bukhari's hadith so as you can look it up for yourself, well I have already given volume, book and number in my original post. You also say that you have learned that I didn't understand what I had posted. How did you learn this, and what do I not understand? You can't just come out with statements like that and not explain yourself.
You also ask when, before his death, he carried out such an action. Maybe you don't believe this particular hadith, but I didn't make it up. You would need to question Abu Huraira, he was the companion who narrated this hadith, and as I am sure you know he is well respected within the Sunni tradition. Abu Huraira was either telling the truth or he was telling lies. What's it to be?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:27pm On May 07, 2008
@Piacere

Babs787, you asked that I provide the volume of Bukhari's hadith so as you can look it up for yourself, well I have already given volume, book and number in my original post. You also say that you have learned that I didn't understand what I had posted. How did you learn this, and what do I not understand? You can't just come out with statements like that and not explain yourself.

Brother, I only asked you to furnish me the volume, the number and the reason for that is to look it up and check myself but you claimed that you supplied what I requested in your original post and if you care to read, below is your post and help to brong out the volume and the number from your post:

Insert Quote

Tell me that is not compulsion. As for your remark that I am trying to deceive people, what part of your mind did that spring from? I simply stated that my post had been altered. I did not use the words, "The Great Religion." or "The Great Prophet", but yet they appeared in my post. When a so called moderator alters the wording of a post to suit their own agenda, then that is censorship, something that does not belong in genuine honest debate, and if you can't understand that then there is not much point in continuing. However, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and await your reply.

So where did you provide my request?

You also ask when, before his death, he carried out such an action. Maybe you don't believe this particular hadith, but I didn't make it up. You would need to question Abu Huraira, he was the companion who narrated this hadith, and as I am sure you know he is well respected within the Sunni tradition. Abu Huraira was either telling the truth or he was telling lies. What's it to be?

Well my brother, one thing you failed to understand is that, you just dont ccept any hadoith just they said it is hadith, there is a process for following hadith. Besides, I only asked to provide me the volume so thaat I check myself. I never claimed tht he was telling the truth or lying, just do as I asked and we get to the root of your hadith. Lest I forget, to you, the above meant that he forced them into accepting Islam huh? Dont worry dude, when you do as said, then we will dig deep and still provide you his sayings that showed that he never compelled people.

Lastly, please, if you have any issue to discusson with regards to my religion, you can always create threaad for thaat and we discuss because I dont want Seun to lock this educative thread
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Piacere: 9:04pm On May 07, 2008
Babs787, my original post was on may 3rd at 8:30 pm. Anyway once again here is the info you requested. Bukhari vol 1, book 11, number 626.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:28pm On May 10, 2008
@Picacere

Babs787, my original post was on may 3rd at 8:30 pm. Anyway once again here is the info you requested. Bukhari vol 1, book 11, number 626.

Brother, I have checked and found it to be Bukhari Volume 1, 1.626 and not book II you posted up.

Narrated Abu Huraira,   The Prophet said, No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr and the Isha prayers and if they knew the reward for these prayers at their respective times they would certainly present themselves (in the mosques) even if they had to crawl." The Prophet added, "Certainly I decided to order the Mu'adh dhin (call maker) to pronunce Iqama and order a man to lead the prayer and then take a fire flame to burn all those who had not left their houses so far for the prayer, along with their houses."

Now you claimed that the above happened to be a compulsion, please did he compel non-great ones?

If you care to know, he used that statement to show the importance of Fajr and Isha prayers respectively. You have no case brother and if you think he did that, go and read his biography and you would see that after the war and even during the war, he allowed non great ones to go on with their worship, business etc and great ones act as their protector.

Goggle it out and read yourself because I don't have to waste my precious time over what is nothing and cannot be proven.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:34pm On May 10, 2008
As-salam Alaekun Warahmotullah Wabarakatuh

Three Different Natures

In the creation of Allah the Almighty there are three different types: the first is that given to absolute obedience and complete self-surrender whose role is completed with its submission and is manifested in the angels prostrating, one and all, to Adam as commanded by their Lord.

The second type is that of absolute disobedience and spiteful arrogance, while the third is that of human nature. We will concentrate on the characteristics of the latter two types and how they work.

Allah the Almighty says

{And [Allah] said: "What has prevented you from prostrating yourself when I commanded you? He [Iblis] answered: "I am nobler than he: You created me out of fire, while You created him out of clay."} (Al-A`raf 7: 12)

Here Iblis claimed for himself a private opinion and a right of discretion to consider whether or not to comply with an order given by Allah the Almighty. He wanted to base the justification of his action on what was apparent to him. Needless to say, when a clear order is given by Allah the Almighty no one has the right of discretion. The only thing that remains is complete obedience and perfect compliance.

However, fully aware that Allah is the Creator and Sustainer of all creation who controls the universe to the extent that nothing takes place without His permission and consent, Iblis refused to comply, justifying his disobedience by his own logic: ("I am nobler than he: You created me out of fire, while You created him out of clay."wink(Al-A`raf 7: 12)

Immediately, he received the correct answer to his arrogance:

{He [Allah] said: Off with you hence! It is not for you to show your arrogance here. Get out, then; you will always be among the humiliated.) (Al-A`raf 7: 13)

Neither Iblis's knowledge of Allah the Almighty nor his belief in His existence and attributes were of any benefit to him. The same applies to anyone who receives a divine order and claims for himself a degree of discretion about whether to accept or refuse that order, or claims the right to refuse the ruling of Allah the Almighty on any question whatsoever; for this entails disbelief in spite of knowledge and certitude.

Iblis was not at all lacking in either his knowledge of Allah the Almighty or his certainty of His attributes. He was expelled from Heaven and deprived of the grace of Allah the Almighty. He incurred the displeasure of Allah the Almighty and was condemned to permanent humiliation.

Evil and obstinate as he is, Iblis does not forget the cause of his expulsion and the fact that Allah the Almighty is displeased with him. This cause was Adam. Iblis does not want to accept his miserable fate without trying to avenge himself. Furthermore, he wants to fulfil his task in accordance with the evil nature that he has come to symbolize, according to the words of Allah the Almighty

{He [Iblis] said, "Grant me a respite until the Day when all will be raised [from the dead]." Allah replied: "You shall indeed be among these granted respite." He [Iblis] said, "Since You let me fall in error, I shall indeed lurk in ambush for them all along Your straight path, and I shall most certainly fall upon them from the front and from the rear, and from their right and from their left; and You will find most of them ungrateful."wink (Al-A`raf 7:14-17)

His attitude, then, is one of complete determination to follow the path of evil, and absolute insistence on trying to lead people astray. Here we see his nature revealing its main characteristic; that of a deeply entrenched, deliberate evil, and not a passing or temporary one.

We also see here a concrete outline of thoughts, concepts and reactions that are all portrayed with exceptional vividness. Iblis requested his Lord to give him respite until the Day of Resurrection. He knew that what he was asking could only be granted by the will of Allah the Almighty who granted his request and gave him respite until the {Day of the appointed time} as it is described in another surah (i.e., Sad 38: 81).

As he has been granted prolonged life, Iblis announced with wicked arrogance that he would concentrate his efforts in leading astray the very creature on whom Allah the Almighty bestowed His honor and who was the cause of Iblis's own tragedy and rejection. His endeavor to tempt human beings away from the right path is shown here by drawing the practical import of what he declared

{I shall indeed lurk in ambush for them all along Your straight path, and I shall most certainly fall upon them from the front and from the rear, and from their right and from their left.} (Al-A`raf 7:16-17)

He always wants to be close to the straight path watching for Adam and his offspring, trying to turn away any human being who tries to pass along this way. The way to Allah the Almighty cannot be a concrete one, because Allah the Almighty is above being confined to a certain place. It is, then, the road of faith and obedience which leads to His pleasure. Iblis, then, will have to come at human beings from every direction.

{I shall most certainly fall upon them from the front and from the rear, and from their right and from their left and You will find most of them ungrateful.} (Al-A`raf 7:17)

His constant aim is to continually seek to prevent them from believing in Allah the Almighty and obeying Him. This is a very lively portrait of Iblis falling upon human beings. He continually endeavors to tempt them away from the path of Allah the Almighty so that they cannot believe in Him or show their gratitude to Him, except for a small number of them who manage to escape his evil efforts: {"You will find most of them ungrateful."wink (Al-A`raf 7:17)

In this verse we find the reason for the lack of gratitude on the part of human beings. Its real cause is Iblis's endeavor and the fact that he lurks in ambush for human beings to prevent them from believing in Allah the Almighty. Human beings are then alerted to the designs of their enemy who constantly try to stop them from following divine guidance. They should be on their guard, since now they know the reason for their ingratitude.

Iblis's request has been granted because Allah the Almighty has willed human beings to find their own way since their nature is susceptible to both good and evil. Furthermore, the human being has been given a mind to think, reflect and choose, and has been given reminders and warnings through the messengers of Allah the Almighty. Furthermore, human beings have been given the means to control and correct themselves.

It is the will of Allah the Almighty that human beings receive signals of right guidance and error, and that goodness and evil should have their conflict within them so that their faith is determined in accordance with the law Allah the Almighty has set in operation. Thus, the will of Allah the Almighty is accomplished by testing human beings. Whether they follow right guidance or go astray, the law of Allah the Almighty is thus accomplished.

The verses quoted above do not state clearly that any permission has been given to Iblis to put his threat into effect. At least not in the same way; as the verses clearly state his request to be given respite has been granted. We are not told the result of that threat; however, we are informed of Iblis's humiliating expulsion and that he had fallen completely from grace.

Furthermore, these verses tell us that Allah the Almighty has warned that He will fill Hellfire with Iblis's offspring along with all those human beings who follow him into error: {He [Allah] said: 'Get out of here, despised, disgraced. As for those of them that follow you, I shall fill Hell with you all. }(Al-A`raf 7:18)

His followers among human beings may simply follow him in his knowledge of Allah the Almighty and his belief that Allah the Almighty is the supreme deity and overall Lord, but they may, nevertheless, reject His sovereignty and legislative authority. They may follow Iblis in claiming that they have discretion to look into the orders of Allah the Almighty and determine whether or not to implement them. On the other hand, Iblis's human followers may simply follow his footsteps and thus, be turned away from guidance altogether. Both situations represent following Iblis and both earn Hellfire as a reward.

Allah the Almighty has granted Iblis and his offspring the chance to lead people away from the right path. At the same time, He has also given Adam and human beings in general, freedom of choice so that He can put them to the test. It is this choice that makes man a special type of creation: he belongs neither to the realm of the angels who obey Allah the Almighty in all situations nor to the world of the devils who disobey Him all the time. Man has a totally different role to play.

Maa Salam
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Piacere: 10:54pm On May 10, 2008
Babs787, I read your reply regarding Bukhari's hadith and it was exactly the sort of reply I expected. By the way, far be it for me to tell you about one of your religious documents, but the reference I gave you for that hadith was correct. It is vol 1, book 11, number 626. Book eleven is "Call to prayers .(Adhaan)" You said the hadith did not say that Mmohammmed compelled non-Mmusslimms, I never said it did, but he sure compelled Mmusslimms. Unless of course you think burning people in their homes as a punishment for not attending prayers is not compulsion. And by the way I have read several books detailing his life and it all depends which one you want to believe. Me, I think there is some truth in most of them. Good points and bad, but I don't expect you will believe anything other than what you want to believe.
My time is precious too, and if I was of the mind I could also say that I didn't want to waste it on your sermon , "Three Different Natures" as it is full of stuff that is, to use your words, ", what is nothing and cannot be proven".
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:57pm On May 12, 2008
@Piacere

You said the hadith did not say that Mmohammmed compelled non-Mmusslimms, I never said it did, but he sure compelled Mmusslimms. Unless of course you think burning people in their homes as a punishment for not attending prayers is not compulsion.

I now see that you dont understand what compulsion is. If you ar saying that he compelled muslims, which muslim did he do that to during his time and who did his companion punish for such?

And by the way I have read several books detailing his life and it all depends which one you want to believe. Me, I think there is some truth in most of them. Good points and bad, but I don't expect you will believe anything other than what you want to believe.
My time is precious too, and if I was of the mind I could also say that I didn't want to waste it on your sermon , "Three Different Natures" as it is full of stuff that is, to use your words, ", what is nothing and cannot be proven".

I dont argue blindly, I prefer facts be it from My Q uran or any Islamic source or even from your bible. If you are ready for rebuttal, its ok by me too.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 4:03pm On May 16, 2008
[center]Khutba: [/center]

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful …,

May God guide us to the right path and give us the strength, wisdom and foresight to act in the most wise way and with compassion for others, seeking His grace.

God reveals in the Quran, the verse: re: the creation of Adam and told the angels to give him the due respect. We were created as vicegerents on Earth to be responsible representatives and carryout the necessary steps to protect the Earth and humanity to enjoin what is right and to shun what is evil. We are to act in the best possible manner and to constantly reflect on God’s signs and think of Him to avoid evil. Our 5 prayers are reminders of Him and what He has bestowed on us in terms of Divine Revelation, - the Quran. The Quran is our source of guidance and
gives us direction in general and also outlines specifics as well. The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was the last of the messengers sent as a role model for the believers and he was quoted by Aisha to have been the embodiment of the Quran.

With this, I begin the topic of today, that we as Muslims, as believers have a responsibility to God first and foremost and in turn our kin including our parents, families and then the needy/wayfarer/poor. We are responsible for our communities, neighborhood, society and world as torch bearers of peace, justice and promoting the truth……,

God admonishes us in verses of the Quran to pray and follow up our prayer with good deeds (works of righteousness) and what could be more righteous than to be good to others, bring people together (as a peacemaker) and have compassion for our kin, neighbor, the needy etc as well as to give charity.

The Quran reveals, “Let there arise out of you a band of people inviting to all that is good enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong: they are the ones to attain felicity.” (3-104)

As Muslims, we try to strive to be close to God (become God-conscious) through our daily actions and God in turn gives us guidance and outlines how we can become not just Muslims but believers (a higher degree of
faith) in the following verses:

He also details our creation in the beginning of men and women by the following verses:

“O Mankind reverence your Guardian Lord, who created you from a single person, created of like nature, his mate and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women; reverence God, through whom ye
demand your mutual rights, and reverence the wombs (that bore you): for God ever watches over you) (4:1)

And outlines how men and women should relate to each other in the following verse:

“God hath promised to Believers Men and women, Gardens under which rivers flow to dwell therein, and beautiful mansions in gardens of everlasting bliss. But the greatest bliss is the good pleasure of God: that is the supreme felicity” (9: 72)

Diversity began with the creation of gender:

“O human beings! We have created you all out of a male and a female, and made you into (various) peoples and tribes so that you may come to know one another. Surely, the most honored of you in the sight of God is the
one who is most conscious of Him. Behold, God is All-knowing, All-aware” (49:13)………

Yet in this current day and age, approximately half of our fellow believers suffer oppression because of cultural restrictions that are not Islamicly justified. This must come to a stop. We must start to dialogue about these oppressions that occur not only around the world but here in our own communities.

Women have suffered for thousands of years even from before the time of the prophet and continue to suffer until today – with female infanticide marking the attitude of Arab society to females which led tribes to
treat women as subordinates (like property) to the cruel treatment of women with regards to marriage and divorce etc.

It was not until the Quran was revealed that female infanticide was considered a crime and laws regarding marriage and divorce were outlined to give woman the rights that they had been denied. But even so, a
cultural attitude towards women has persisted throughout the years, we see in practice even here in our own communities whereby certain Islamic centers/mosques discourage or even restrict women from attending and
some women are intimidated by fear of rejection and humiliation to enter God’s house of worship. Some mosques do not allow women to enter the mosque from the front doors etc.

In a 2001 CAIR study of 416 American mosques - 2/3 of mosques women were not allowed to pray in the main hall, 1/4 of the mosques did not offer programs for women, 1/3 did not allow women to sit on the governing
boards. This is in sharp contrast to the time of the Prophet whereby there was no segregation of sexes, women were encouraged to participate at all levels including voting ("bayeh"wink etc and the Prophet was not known to have denied a woman participation because of her gender.

Women until today still are not educated as to their Islamic rights in marriage (their rights to include various conditions in a marriage contract etc). There have been cases where marriages are not registered
with the state and thus denying the woman the legal right of protection in cases of divorce.

Some women are restricted from higher education which is contrary to what the teachings of the Prophet. Women are discouraged from education because the families fear this will decrease their ability to marry and
others who are even less fortunate are restricted from even a basic education in other countries. A young woman living in Florida at the time was told she could not pursue a medical education because that
would restrict her ability to get married. Some women are restricted to pursue careers as well. This is in contrast to the Prophet himself who married a successful business women and was not known to discourage her from that pursuit.

Some women are beaten in the name of Islam by their male counterparts when we know these were not behaviors modeled by our dear Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). One woman living in the San Fernando valley was punched
in the head causing her to be rushed to the Emergency Room because of blood coming out of her ear. Another woman was forcefully shoved out of a room while she was instructing her son to work on his homework
apparently because her husband wasn't able to listen to his television program. In another case, a man used the Qur'an in a court of law to explain to the judge why abusing his wife was a right afforded to him by
the religion. In other scenarios, some religious leaders have advised women not to report the abuse to the authorities or blame the woman for breaking up the family. Islam is often used to justify the abuse or
blame the victim.

God created mates for the following reason:

“And among His wonders is that He created for you mates from among yourselves that you might find restfulness (and satisfaction), and he has engendered between you affection, and tenderness; surely, in that are signs for people who think….” (30:21)

Let our Prophet be our example of behavior as detailed in this hadith:

Narrated Anas ibn Malik: “I have never seen anyone more kind to one’s family then (the Prophet Muhammad) Sahih Muslim, Hadith 1077

Our prophet was a man of character, honesty and integrity – he treated his family with kindness and his wives in specific with justice and wisdom - Let us remember the example of Aisha (riding with the man on the camel) the Prophet was not harsh with his wife despite the prospect of not knowing Aisha’s innocence during a time when members of the Ummah spread gossip accusing Aisha of “adultery” at that time.

The prophet was known to have listened to advice from his wife and to address women’s questions/issues with patience and knowledge of the Quranic revelation – across the board the Prophet was not known to say a
word of contempt or physically strike any person family or non family member. How many of us believers strive to be like the Prophet – the essence of his behavior (his soul) – some of us emulate his physical characteristics and may grow a beard or use the miswak etc but it was his character that made him what he was with the guidance he received from God.

Muslim women around the world are suffering because many are raising children single-handedly in the war torn countries and are struggling to make ends meet. Others suffer oppression at the hands of the system in
cases of rape where there is no just legal recourse to this crime for them or from unjust family laws that leave a woman high and dry without any support

In the last sermon, the Prophet advised us on treating women in most kind manner:

“Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers.”

As believers, men and women, we have a responsibility to counter this oppression and right the wrong. Even the smallest of good deeds will not go unrewarded if we have good intentions.

Take it upon yourself to encourage your mothers/sisters/nieces to attend the mosque and help to make your mosque “women friendly” – make it a point to ensure the prayer facilities are up to standard with the
facilities that the men pray in and that women are welcome to participate on every level. Greet your sisters in Islam with the best of greetings when they enter the mosque and facilitate the Islamic education starting with your daughters/sisters of their rights especially when it comes to marriage and divorce. The leadership has a
responsibility to educate the community about affairs of marriage and divorce and provide access to samples of marriage contracts. The leadership also should encourage couples to discuss important issues prior to marriage to encourage healthy communication as part of community building process. The Ummah must realize the importance of brotherhood/sisterhood and support each other especially in the United
States where there is a lack of extended family - this will ensure stability of families and provide the necessary psychological/moral support that many families need living in a society as a minority.

Women as well have a duty to educate themselves and their offspring and know that their participation in mosques and Islamic activities is their duty. We need to combat domestic violence occurring in our communities
by participating in awareness campaigns and advising these families to seek professional help to avoid the tragic consequences that result and passing this behavior down from one generation to another. The Islamic
leadership including the Shura council must realize the necessity of professional training by experts re: the handling and recognition of domestic violence in the community. In one of the Los Angeles mosques - two brothers on the religious council doubted the fact that domestic violence exists. We need a public discourse and a forum to hear the concerns of Muslim women and to express our outrage at oppression when we witness it.

If we struggle together, men and women to combat oppression against our fellow believers around the world – internal and external oppression – we will be the victors and our Ummah will be a stronger one for that………

God reveals:

“And their Lord hath accepted of them, and answered them: “Never will I suffer or be lost the work of any of you be he male or female; ye are members, one of another………” (3:195)

The vision of our Ummah is one of men and women, sisters and brothers, male and female believers side by side, working for the cause of God to bring justice and peace to the rest of mankind. Men and women acting as
vicegerents to fulfill our responsibility to God in the best possible manner, inviting those to the truth, spreading good and working for justice around the world.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 2:37pm On May 24, 2008
Time is a sword, Strike a balance

"By time, verily man is at loss" so begins one of the shortest surah in the Qur'an. The majority of the mufassireen (commentators) are of the opinion that the word Asr refers to time. Allah takes oath by time to impress upon us the importance of time. Perhaps, for many of us, this is the period when we are most conscious of the precious nature of time, as we try to stretch every second while gearing toward the all important exams. At a time like this when our minds are most focused and yet most distracted, we have to stop and take a moment to reflect and take stock of our lives. We have to ask ourselves what our goals and priorities in life are, and most importantly how we are expending the commodity upon which Allah has taken an oath?

This article started with the first verse of surah al-Asr. But do we truly understand the implications of this surah and put it into practice in our lives? Perhaps, you may be thinking that such assertions are patronizing and condescending for whom in their right mind, living in this society is not aware of the value of time, when people have to resort to country hideouts to get a sense of their lives. But, precisely because we live in this society are we becoming lost in the quagmire of materialism? Whether we are aware or not it would not be incorrect to say that many of us suffer from a disease, it is a disease of delusion about time and lack of understanding of our priorities in life.

Allah created us for the sole purpose of doing his ibadah 'I have only created the jinn and the mankind except that they may worship Me. ' we were not created in vain: 'Did you think that we had created you without purpose, and that you would not be brought hack to us for account?' Indeed that is what our goal in life is, to seek the pleasure of Allah, attain salvation from the hellfire and a place in paradise. To achieve these, we have to make sure that the most precious gift Allah has given us, our life is utilized in the best possible manner, for our lives are only remarkable and we can only attain the position of the best of creation' when we serve Allah.

Hasan al Basri (rahimullah) writes whilst thinking of the oath of time, I saw a person selling ice and he was exclaiming, 'O people have mercy on a person whose merchandise is melting away'. He then concluded: 'Now I fully understand this oath'. The vendor's capital is ice, if he does not manage to sell it, it will melt away, thus suffering a loss. Likewise if one regards time as ones capital and life as a business, if it is allowed to pass without being utilized it is only a matter of time before we will lose our business. And if we invest that time solely for the dunya, then we have already lost.

Most of us consciously or unconsciously have a defected view of life and time. We tend to regard both as a vast expanse without end, where each day rolls into the next. This should not be the case, as many sayings of the Prophet indicate 'Every morning there is a shout, oh children Adam this is a new day, and it is a witness over your actions.' Each day is unique and an opportunity, not a continuum of the last. Whatever we do on that day will be closed forever, only to be opened on the Day of judgement. Abdullah ibn Mas'ud once said 'I do not regret about anything as I regret about the day in which the sun has set, as this day has been decreased from my life and in that day my actions cannot be increased'.

We are at an age when we are enjoying some of the best things in life; wealth, youth and time without the pressure of responsibilities, which our parents are shouldering. But such blessings will not go unquestioned. As the hadith of the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) tells us: , on the Day of judgement a servant's feet will not move until he is asked about four thing; about his life and what he spent it on, his body and what he used it on and about his wealth from where did he earn it and what he spent it on: The substance of our answers to these questions is to be made now. 'Two blessings are such that many people are in deception about them.

The first is good health and the second is spare time' Each minute that goes we cannot get it back, each day that passes is gone. We have to invest the time of this life for the next life. The society we are living in is engrossed in the materialistic world and accumulating as much as possible be it power, fame or wealth. We Muslims are not exempt from this pursuit of the dunya. Our despicable position in the world is due to this very fact.

We may think that the position of the Muslim Ummah and its many problems are very far from us and not a thing that we can affect. But are we not in our own way running after this world. What are our conditions and state of mind when we have to sit our exams or we have an assignment to sub-nut? It is one of complete anxiety to the extent that we start abusing the rights of our body. We become engrossed in attaining that goal we forget what our real goal in life is. Some of us are even prepared to miss our salat in order to get such tasks done. I am not advocating that we don't spend time upon our studies or other duties. Far from it, what I am trying to inculcate is getting our priorities in life straight and truly valuing our time and what we do with it. Of course we must study and try our best, for a Muslim should never be one who undertakes things half-heartedly There is no contradiction between the two when we utilize our time properly.

If we look at the lives of the companions and our pious predecessors we understand how vigilant they were about their time. They were a people who were successful for they truly knew the precious nature of time as Imam Shafi'ee said:'I stayed with the people of tasawuf and learned two things from them. First is that they say time is like a sword if you don't cut with it, it will Cut you. Second is your self, if you don't keep it busy with right, it will make you busy with wrong.

Umar (radiAllahu anhu) said 'I hate to see people wasting time, whether in their dunya or for Akhira'. Employ your time wisely, do not waste it sitting in front of the T.V or playing computer games. It is very easy for us to fall into the tricks of shaytan and justify such actions as valid, 'we all need time to relax and give our minds a break!' Such activities rarely achieve anything apart from diverting our balance of time. Abu Huraira narrated:
The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said: Allah's saying 'The son of Adam hurts Me by abusing time, for I am Time; in My Hands are all things and I cause the revolution of night and day.’ There are much better and fruitful ways to relax if we look at the life of the Prophet and his companions. We do not want to-when we get to our Parents age-look back upon our youth with regret as time wasted.

'And it is not your wealth, nor your children that bring you nearer to Us (Allah), but only he (will please Us) who behaves and does righteous deeds. As for such, there will be twofold reward for what they did, and they will reside in the high dwellings in peace and security.'
We are blessed by Allah that we have Islam at a young age. If we endeavour with our lives now to attain the pleasure of Allah, perhaps we too can be one of the seven types of people who enjoy the shade of the Throne of Allah-on the day when there will be no other shade.

"In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. By al-Asr. Verily! Man is in loss, except those who believe, and do righteous deeds, and recommend one another to the truth and exhort one another to patience."
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:19pm On May 27, 2008
Living Islam Daily

The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, 'Take benefit of five before five: your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free-time before your preoccupation, and your life before your death.'
[al-Hakim, al-Baihaqi]

Indeed, we all, at some point in our lives, are reminded of the passage of time, It may be due to an affliction that has befallen us, a word we have read or an incident that we have witnessed. We literally feel the seconds ebbing away from our lives and we are filled with a sense of desperation. What have we achieved? What have we done with our lives?

We are reminded of our aspirations we had once had that have lain dormant, buried, while we are engrossed with building our lives in this dunya. We are reminded of how we wanted to be the true and successful servants of our Creator and we become sick with worry and shame. We see how we have not moved an inch closer to this goal.

We want to make amends , we KNOW we can do it.

And so we start all over again. We begin to piece together our ideas and resolutions. This time we will not forget and we will not fail, inshaa Allah. We will fast more, pray more, recite the Qur'an more, we will change the world and make it a better place.

We set out with promise and enthusiasm but as the months go by, our determination fizzles out and our good actions are forgotten. Our resolutions once again remain in the realm of good intentions, until the next time something prompts us into introspection.

How do we avoid this? How do we convert our good intentions to consistent actions?

I do not dare to say I have all the answers. I can only share what I have learnt in my own struggle with good intentions and resolutions. Here are some tips that I hope you will find useful in trying to live Islam daily:

[1] Purify your intentions and remember that you wish to seek the pleasure of Allah

Sincerity in all we do is a commandment of Allah (subhanahu wa ta`ala): "Say, 'Indeed my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the worlds. No partner has He. And this I have been commanded, and I am the first (among you) of the Muslims.'"
[Surah al-An'aam, 6: 162,163]

He also says: "So worship Allah (alone) by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allah's sake only, (and not to show-off and not to set up rivals with Him in worship). Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allah only."
[Surah Az-Zumar 39:2-3]

Ibn Al-Qayyim (rahimahullah) said, "Deeds without sincerity are like a traveler who carries in his water-jug dirt. The carrying of it burdens him and it brings no benefit."

[2] Seek His help through du'a

Allah has told His Messenger (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) that He is close and answers the supplication of any servant who calls to Him. He said: "When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them), I respond to the prayer of every supplicant when he calleth on Me."
[Surah Al-Baqarah, 2: 186]

Indeed, when we are faced with distress, it is He whom we should turn to: "Or, who listens to the distressed (soul) when he calls on Him, and who relieves his suffering?"
[Surah An -Naml: 62]

[3] Do not procrastinate

It is easier for one to put off a goal until tomorrow so that one can rationalize not disciplining oneself today. How often have we said, "Inshaa Allah, I will make a change tomorrow" but never actually get around to doing it? One of the early scholars said, "Beware of procrastinating. It is the greatest of the soldiers of Satan." Do not make half-hearted promises - you are fooling no one but yourself. Carry out your resolutions with zeal and optimism.

[4] Take baby steps and set realistic goals In our zeal

We often chart ambitious plans only to be discouraged when we cannot sustain our efforts. Remember that no good deed is too small - the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) was asked, "Which deed is most beloved to Allah?" He said, "The one that is continuous, even if it is little."
[Sahih al-Bukhari, Fath al-Bari 11:194].

Small changes work a great deal better than giant leaps, so don't bite off more than you can chew. Start out with small deeds and you that you can accomplish easily and consistently before moving on to more challenging ones. This will motivate you and make you feel more successful. Insha'Allah, you will find that over time, you will have made a big difference.

[5] Build a good support system

Ibn Hazm said, "Anyone who criticises you cares about your friendship. Anyone who makes light of your faults cares nothing about you." It is said that reminders benefit the believers, so surround yourselves with good companions who will give you sincere advice and who will support you with your resolutions. Avoid those who will chip away at your self-esteem or who will tempt you away from your resolutions. Bear in mind what 'Ali radhiallahu 'anhu said: "Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people to protect yourself from their evils."

[6] Track your progress and be consistent

Write down your goals - hang this list up on the wall, keep it in your notebook, fold it into your wallet or stick it in your locker. You can even keep a log or journal of how you are doing - start a weblog even! Be honest with yourself and recheck your goals. The idea is not to slacken. Indeed, when the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) did something, he kept it up.
[Muslim].

Take a look at the hadith Qudsi in which Allah says: "… 'My slave keeps drawing nearer to me with naafil (supererogatory) deeds until I love him.'" [Sahih al-Bukhari].
The phrase maa yazaalu ["keeps (drawing near)"] gives the impression of continuity. The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) also said, "Continue doing Hajj and 'Umrah."

[7] Avoid burnout

It is inevitable that we sometimes feel as if our iman has hit rock bottom or that we lack the spirit to continue in our striving. The Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, "Iman wears out in one's heart, just as the dress wears out (becomes thin). Therefore, ask Allah to renew iman in your hearts."
[at-Tabarani and Al-Hakim]

Continuing to do acts of worship and good deeds does not mean one exhausts oneself to breaking point. We continue with the obligatory acts. When we have the energy and inclination, we strive to do more and when we do not, we do as much as we can. The Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam)said: "Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection…"
[Sahih al-Bukhari]
According to another report, he said: "Be moderate, and you will reach what you want."
[Sahih al-Bukhari]

[8] Seek inspiration

The best sources of inspiration are in the mighty Qur'an, the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam), his companions, the pious predecessors and the scholars.

Look at Abu Musa al-Ash'ari. He used to apply himself so much in worship at the end of his life that he was told, "Why don't you slow down and be gentle with yourself?" He replied, "When the horses are released for a race and are close to the finish line, they give all the strength they have. What is left of my life is less than that." It is said that he maintained this level of devotion till he died.

Look at Amir ibn Abdullah who was once asked, "How can you tolerate being awake all night, and thirsty in the intense heat of the day?" He replied, "Is it anything more than postponing the food of the day to nighttime, and the sleep of the night to daytime? This is not a big matter." When the night came, he would say, "Remembrance of the heat of hellfire has taken sleepiness from me." And he would not sleep until dawn.

Look at Ar-Rabi' ibn Khuthaym. Abu Hayan related that his father said, "Ar-Rabi' ibn Khuthaym was crippled and used to be carried to the congregational salah. So people told him, "You have an excuse (for not coming)." He said, "I hear 'hayya 'alas-salah', the call to salah; so if you can come to it even by crawling, do so", paraphrasing a hadith.

[9] Do a variety of acts of worship

Allah in His Infinite Mercy has blessed us with a variety of acts of worship to do - some are physical such as prayer; some are financial such as zakat and sadaqah; some are spoken such as du'aa and dhikr.

Perhaps the wisdom behind this provision is that it addresses the different inclinations and abilities of the people. Some people may enjoy some kinds of worship more than others. Indeed, Allah has made gates of Paradise according to the different types of worship. According to a hadith narrated by Abu Hurairah (radhiallahu anhu) the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam)said: "Whoever spends on a pair for the sake of Allah will be called from the gates of Paradise , 'O slave of Allah, this is good.' Whoever is one of the people of prayer will be called from the gate of prayer. Whoever is one of the people of jihad will be called from the gate of jihad. Whoever is one of the people of fasting will be called from the gate of al-Rayyan. Whoever is one of the people of charity will be called from the gate of charity."
[Sahih al-Bukhari]

[10] Do not waste even a minute

As mentioned earlier, there are a variety of deeds one can do. There may be days when one is busy with chores, work or commitments to family and friends. This does not mean that one does not have time to incorporate one's resolution to live Islam daily. One can make dhikr while cooking, one can memorise a du'aa while waiting for the bus, one can listen to an Islamic lecture when driving home from work… the list goes on. The bottom line? Do what you can when you can.

May Allah give us steadfastness and may He give us the best in this world and the hereafter

Ameen
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:56pm On Jun 04, 2008
The Best of the Best

Have you ever wondered to yourself what it actually means to be the best?

When we are told that ‘this is the best’ or ‘that was the greatest’ or ‘this will bring the most benefit’ etc, have you ever thought who on Earth gave such people/editors the authority to tell us that? In an age when we have a plethora of ‘Top 10’ or ‘Top 100’ lists on everything from cars to films, from foods to places, one wonders where is that list that will really provide some benefit to us in this current short life and the next very long one.

Well, wait no more. Below, from a choice of hundreds of narrations from our beloved Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) you can find 100 hadith, in no particular order of merit, detailing ways on exactly how to become the best, how to have the most excellent characteristics, what really will prove most beneficial for us to know, what really are the greatest things to think about and hope for and indeed, how to become the most beloved of people to our Exalted Creator, Allah (SWT)

No more subjectivity, no more empty statements; just the divine criteria of what really is the best as developed by the very best himself, Muhammad al-Mustapha (salAllahu alayhi wasalam).

Take some time out (it's not short!) to read them, memorise them, and then see how many you can get done and how many of your friends and relatives you can get involved in it too.

Don’t be ordinary. Don’t be common. Don’t be average. Be the best.

Sayyidina Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) told us:

1. "The best of the Muslims is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe." [Muslim]

2. "The best of people are those with the most excellent character." [at-Tabarani, Sahih]

3. "The best of people are those that bring most benefit to the rest of mankind." [Daraqutni, Hasan]

4. "The best of people are those who are best in fulfilling (rights)." [Ibn Majah, Sahih]

5. "The best of people during fitnah (trouble) is a man who takes up the reins of his horse pursuing the enemies of Allah, causing them fear yet they make him fearful too, or a man who secludes himself in the desert fulfilling the rights of Allah upon him." [Hakim, Sahih]

6. "The best of mankind is my generation, then those that follow them and then those that follow them. Then there shall come a people after them who will become avaricious, who will love gluttony, and who will give witness before they are asked for it." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

7. "The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

8. "The best of women are those that please him (her husband) when he sees her, obeys him when she is commanded, and who does not secretly betray him with regards to herself and her money in that which he dislikes." [Ahmad, Sahih]

9. "The best of women are those that please you when you see them, obey you when commanded, and who safeguard themselves and your money in your absence." [Tabarani, Sahih]

10. "The best of marriages are the easiest ones." [abu Dawud, Sahih]

11. "The best of your dates is the Borniyyu date; it expels disease yet does not contain any disease itself." [Hakim, Hasan]

12. "The best of your garments are those which are white; shroud your dead in them and clothe your living with them. The best of that which you apply to your eyelids is antimony causing the eyelashes to grow and sharpening the eyesight." [ibn Hibban, Sahih]

13. "The best quality of your religion is scrupulousness." [Hakim, Sahih]

14. "The best of your religion is that which is easiest." [Ahmad, Sahih]

15. "The best of the prayer lines for men are the first rows, the worst being the final rows. The best of the prayer lines for women are the final rows and the worst are the first rows." [Muslim]

16. "The best prayers for women are those performed in the most secluded parts of their houses." [Ibn Khuzaymah, Sahih]

17. "The best of you in Islam are those who are most excellent in character as long as you deeply understand the religion." [Ahmad, Sahih]

18. "The best of you are the best of you in fulfilling (rights)." [Ahmad, Sahih]

19. "The best of you are those who are best to their families, and I am the best of you to my family." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

20. "The best of you are my generation, then those that follow them and then those that follow them. Then there shall come after them a people who will betray and be untrustworthy, will give witness even though they have not been asked to, will make vows yet will not fulfil them and obesity will appear amongst them." [Sahih al-Bukhari]

21. "The best of you are those who feed others and return greetings." [abu Ya'la, Hasan]

22. "The best of you is he from whom good is anticipated and safety from his evil is assured; the worst of you is he from whom nothing good is expected and one is not safe from his evil." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

23. "The best thing mankind has been given is excellent character." [Hakim, Sahih]

24. "The best of that which you treat yourself with is cupping." [Hakim, Sahih]

25. "The best of journeys undertaken are to this Mosque of mine and the Ancient House." [Ahmad, Sahih]

26. "The best of which man can leave behind for himself are three: a righteous child who supplicates for him, an ongoing charity whose reward continues to reach him and knowledge which others benefit from after him." [ibn Hibban, Hasan]

27. “The best Mosques for women are the most secluded parts of their houses." [al-Bayhaqi, Sahih)

28. "The best of the world’s women are four: Maryam bint Imran, Khadijah bint Khuwaylid, Fatimah bint Muhammad and Asiyah the wife of Fir'awn." [Ahmad, Sahih]

29. "The best of days that you should perform cupping are the 17th, 19th and 21st of the month. I did not pass a single gathering of angels on the night of Isra’ except that they would say to me, ‘O Muhammad, perform cupping!’" [Ahmad, Sahih]

30. "The best day on which the Sun has risen is Friday; on it Adam was created, on it Adam was made to enter Paradise and on it he was expelled. The Hour will not be established except on Friday." [Muslim]

31. "Verily, the best of perfume for men is that which is strong in smell and light in colour, and the best of perfume for women is that which is strong in colour and light in smell." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

32. "The most beloved of religions according to Allah the Most High is the ‘easy and flexible religion.’" [Ahmad, Hasan]

33. "The most beloved of deeds according to Allah are the continuous ones, even if they are little." [Agreed upon]

34. "The most beloved of names according to Allah are AbdAllah, ‘Abdul-Rahman and Harith." [Abu Ya‛la, Sahih]

35. "The most beloved of deeds according to Allah are the prayer in its right time, then to treat the parents in an excellent manner, and then Jihad in the path of Allah." [Agreed upon]

36. "The most beloved of deeds according to Allah is that you die and yet your tongue is still moist from the remembrance of Allah." [ibn Hibban, Hasan]

37. "The most beloved words according to Allah the Most High are four: SubhanAllah, Alhamdulillah, La ilaha illallah and Allahu Akbar; there is no problem with which one you start with." [Muslim]

38. "The most beloved of speech according to Allah is when the servant says, ‘Subhanallahi wa bihamdihi’ (How Transcendent is Allah and we praise him!)." [Muslim]

39. "The most beloved of speech according to Allah the Most High is that which Allah chose for his Angels: Subhana Rabbi wa bihamdihi, Subhana Rabbi wa bihamdihi, Subhana Rabbi wa bihamdihi." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih].

40. "The most beloved of people according to Allah is he who brings most benefit, and the most beloved of deeds according to Allah the Mighty, the Magnificent, is that you bring happiness to a fellow Muslim, or relieve him of distress, or pay off his debt or stave away hunger from him. It is more beloved to me that I walk with my brother Muslim in his time of need than I stay secluded in the mosque for a month. Whoever holds back his anger, Allah will cover his faults and whoever suppresses his fury while being able to execute it, Allah will fill his heart with satisfaction on the Day of Standing. Whoever walks with his brother Muslim in need until he establishes that for him, Allah will establish his feet firmly on the day when all feet shall slip. Indeed, bad character ruins deeds just as vinegar ruins honey." [at-Tabarani, Hasan]

41. "The most beloved of people to me is A’isha and from the men, Abu Bakr." [agreed upon]

42. "The best of people in recitation are those who when they recite, you see that they fear Allah." [al-Bayhaqi, Sahih]

43. "The best of your leaders are those that you love and they love you, you supplicate for them and they supplicate for you. The worst of your leaders are those that you hate and they hate you, you curse them and they curse you." [Muslim]

44. "The best of you are those who are best in paying off their debts." [Tahawi, Sahih]

45. "The best of you are those with the longest lives and most excellent character." [Bazzar, Sahih]

46. "The best of you are those with the longest lives and best in action." [Hakim, Sahih]

47. "The best of you are those with the softest shoulders during prayer." [al-Bayhaqi, Hasan]

48. "The best of you are those who are best to their wives." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

49. "The best of you are those who are best to their families." [at-Tabarani, Sahih]

50. "The best of you during the ‘Period of Ignorance’ are the best of you in Islam as long as they deeply understand the religion." (Bukhari]

51. "The best of you are those who learn the Qur’an and teach it." [Darimi, Sahih]

52. "The best of companions according to Allah are those who are best to their companion and the best of neighbours according to Allah are those that are best to their neighbour." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

53. "The best of places are the Mosques and the worst of places are the markets." [at-Tabarani, Hasan]

54. "The best supplication on the Day of 'Arafah and the best thing that I and the Prophets before me ever said was, ‘La ilaha illAllah wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulk wa lahul-hamd wa huwa 'ala kulli shay’in Qadir.’" [at-Tirmidhi, Hasan]

55. "The best of provision is that which suffices." [Ahmad in ‘Zuhd’, Hasan]

56. "The best testimony is when one gives it before he is asked to do so." [Tabarani, Sahih]

57. "The best of dowries are the easiest." [Hakim, Sahih]

58. "The best of charity is that which still leaves you self-sufficient for the upper hand is better than the lower hand; start with those you are responsible for." [Tabarani, Sahih]

59. "The best of gatherings are those that are most open." [abu Dawud, Sahih]

60. "The most beloved deed according to Allah is to have faith in Allah, then to maintain the ties of kinship, and then to command to good and forbid the wrong. The most abhorrent of deeds according to Allah is to associate partners with Him, then to cut the ties of kinship." [Abu Ya’la, Hasan]

61. "The most beloved Jihad according to Allah is that a word of truth be spoken to a tyrant ruler." [at-Tabarani, Hasan]

62. "The most beloved word according to me is that which is most truthful." (Bukhari]

63. "The most beloved fast according to Allah is the fast of Dawud; he would fast every alternate day. The most beloved prayer according to Allah is the prayer of Dawud; he would sleep half the night, stand a third and then sleep for a sixth." [agreed upon]

64. "The most beloved dish according to Allah is that which most hands feed from." [ibn Hibban, Hasan]

65. "The most beloved servant of Allah is he who is most beneficial to his dependents." [Zawa’id al-Zuhd, Hasan]

66. "The best of earnings is that of the labourer as long as he tries his best." [Ahmad, Hasan]

67. "The best of all deeds is to have faith in Allah alone, then Jihad and then an accepted Hajj; they surpass all other deeds like the distance between the rising and setting of the Sun." [Ahmad, Sahih]

68. "The best of all deeds is the Prayer at its earliest time." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

69. "The best of all deeds is the Prayer in its right time, to treat the Parents honourably and Jihad in the path of Allah." [al-Khatib, Sahih]

70. "The best of all deeds is that you bring happiness to your Muslim brother, pay off his debt or feed him bread." [Ibn Adiyy, Hasan]

71. "The best of faith is patience and magnanimity." [Ahmad, Sahih]

72. "The best of days according to Allah is Friday." [al-Bayhaqi, Sahih]

73. "The best of Jihad is that man strives against his soul and desires." [Daylami, Sahih]

74. "The best Hajj is that with the most raised voices and flowing blood." [at-Tirmidhi, Hasan]

75. "The best of supplications is that of on the Day of ‘Arafah, and the best thing that was said by myself and the Prophets before me was, La ilaha illAllah wahdahu la sharika lahu." (There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah alone, He has no partners.) [Malik, Hasan]

76. "The best of dinars are: the dinar spent by a man upon his dependents, the dinar spent by a man upon his horse in the path of Allah and the dinar spent by a man upon his companions in the path of Allah, the Mighty, the Magnificent." [Muslim]

77. "The best word of remembrance is: La ilaha illAllah and the best supplication is: Alhamdulillah." [at-Tirmidhi, Hasan]

78. "The best word of remembrance is: La ilaha illAllah and the best (expression of giving) thanks is: Alhamdulillah." [Baghawi, Hasan]

79. "The best of hours are those deep in the latter part of the night." [at-Tabarani, Sahih]

80. "The best of all martyrs are those who fight in the front line; they do not turn their faces away until they are killed. They will be rolling around in the highest rooms of Paradise , their Lord laughing at them - when your Lord laughs at a servant, there is no accounting for him." [Ahmad, Sahih]

81. "The best of all martyrs is he whose blood is shed and whose horse is slaughtered." [at-Tabarani, Sahih]

82. "The best of all charity is the shade of a canopy (provided) in the path of Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, to gift ones servant in the path of Allah and to gift ones she-camel in the path of Allah." [Ahmad, Hasan]

83. "The best of all charity is that which is given to the relative that harbours enmity against you." [Ahmad, Sahih]

84. "The best of all charity is that you give it while you are healthy and desirous (of that money), hoping to become wealthy but fearing poverty. Don’t delay until you are about to breathe your last and then you say, ‘This is for ‘so and so’ and this is for ‘so and so’’, for indeed, it has already been written that ‘so and so’ would receive that." [abu Dawud, Sahih]

85. "The best of all charity is when the one with little strives to give; start with those you are responsible for." [Hakim, Sahih]

86. "The best charity is to provide water." [ibn Majah, Hasan]

87. "The best prayer after the obligatory ones is the prayer in the depth of the night, and the best fast after the month of Ramadan is the month of Allah, Muharram." [Muslim]

88. "The best prayer is the prayer of the man in his home except for the obligatory prayer." [an-Nasa’i, Sahih]

89. "The best prayer is that with the longest standing." [Muslim]

90. "The best of all prayers according to Allah is the Friday morning prayer in congregation." [ibn Nu‘aym, Sahih]

91. "The best fast is the fast of my brother Dawud; he would fast every alternate day and he would never flee (the battlefront) when the armies would meet." [at-Tirmidhi, Sahih]

92. "The best of all fasts after Ramadan is in the month that you call Muharram." [an-Nasa’i, Sahih]

93. "The best of all worship is supplication." (Hakim, Sahih]

94. "The best deed is the prayer in its right time and Jihad in the path of Allah." [al-Bayhaqi, Sahih]

95. "The best of the Qur’an is: 'Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil-‘Alamin". [Hakim, Sahih]

96. "The best of earnings is a blessed sale and that which a man earns with his hands." [Ahmad, Sahih]

97. "The best of the Believers is the most excellent of them in character." [ibn Majah, Sahih]

98. "The best of the Believers with respect to Islam is the one from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe; and the best of the Believers with respect to Iman are the most excellent of them in character; and the best of those who migrate is he who migrates from that which Allah the Most High has prohibited; and the best of Jihad is when one strives against his soul for the sake of Allah, the Mighty, the Magnificent." [at-Tabarani, Sahih]

99. "The best of mankind is the believer between two honourable persons." [at-Tabarani, Sahih]

100. "The best of all days in the world are the ten days (of Dhul Hijjah)." [Bazzar, Sahih]
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 2:49pm On Jun 07, 2008
Contemplation

If an artist were to draw a very close image of a human, people would be amazed to his ability to imitate, while in reality, all he did was to reflect the human’s image with his hand using some paint; again, is it not appropriate and correct to ponder over how man was created by Allaah from this drop and then given the very best form and shape?

Another amazing thing is that the foetus, just before delivery, turns upside down when it gets larger and when the womb becomes too small for it, in preparation for emerging into this world; it does this as if it is a sound-minded person who thinks and plans ahead; then Allaah guided it to cling to its mother’s nipple for food.

Allaah Says what means: “Has there [not] come upon man a period of time when he was not a thing [even] mentioned? Indeed, We created man from a sperm-drop mixture that We may try him; and We made him hearing and seeing. Indeed, We guide him to the way, be he grateful or ungrateful.” [Quran 76: 1-3]

Note the greatness of Allaah in just one of His creations - man; and then there are many wonders in the creation and structure of man which have not yet been discovered! How then is the case regarding all the hidden and unknown matters that Allaah Has instilled in the earth, rivers, seas and mountains?

If we take a look at some insects, we find amazing creations, such as the spider who builds his web with a wonderfully engineered design. It goes to riverbanks and looks for two close locations with a gap in between that is not more than two to three feet apart, and then begins constructing its web from one end by spiting its saliva, which is in the form of a thread, then goes to the other end and then goes back and forth, constructing very accurate parallel lines in a beautiful symmetric manner; then it constructs lines that are at right-angles to form the shape of a net.

After it finishes, it sits at one end of the net awaiting for a fly or other flying insects that it eats to fall into the trap (i.e., its net) and then it attacks it and eats it. If it fails to catch anything, it goes to the corner of the web and drops a thread from it, then it hangs itself from it upside down, and if a fly flies by, it throws itself on it, binds it with the thread, and eats it.

Regardless of how small or big a creature is, one will find many amazing things regarding it which cannot be enumerated … did such creatures teach themselves all these amazing things? Did other humans teach them?

Anyone with vision will definitely realise the greatness of Allaah in these small creatures and realise the perfect ability and wisdom of Allaah. Man is far more complicated and amazing in his creation than animals, and yet when man sees a strange worm or animal, he becomes astonished by its creation more than he does by his own amazing structure!

Allaah Has commanded us to contemplate over His creation and encouraged us to contemplate over the creation of man, the seas, the heavens and the earth, but why is this so? Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahmaan As-Sa’di said: “Allaah Has commanded this in order for man to discover the reason behind his creation, which entails that contemplation is an act of worship that is performed only by those whom Allaah chooses, and when they do so, they realise that they were not created haphazardly.”

Some people are only attracted to the final shape of the creation but never stop to think about the reason for its creation and the great objective behind it, which is to contemplate, and thus worship Allaah.

Contemplating over matters related to the Hereafter is a very important matter. We do not have any of the fruits of Paradise, nor do we have any of the chains with which people are punished in Hell, but we do have texts from the Quran and the Sunnah describing to us in detail how things will be on the Day of Resurrection, with all their descriptions; this is from the mercy of Allaah, in order for us to have something to contemplate over, because the more one knows about the Hereafter, the more his heart will react.

Why does Allaah mention to us the preconditions of the Hour? He does so in order for them to be something that we contemplate upon. We must always be concerned about these matters. The problem is in man, who does not ponder or contemplate about any of these matters; people have busied themselves nowadays thinking about prohibited matters, or about worldly pleasures. Pleasure has overwhelmed people’s lives, and thus contemplating over important matters, which would result in true pleasure and happiness, has become rare.

Once, Sufyaan was in a gathering, when suddenly, the lamp that was lighting the congregation ran out of oil, and so its flame went out. After someone had added oil and re-ignited the lamp, they found that Sufyaan had cried, so they asked him why he did so, and he replied: “This darkness reminded me of the grave.” Due to the hearts of such people being alive, anything around them caused them to contemplate and connect that to the important matters which one ought to contemplate over.

One of the Salaf was waiting for bread in a bakery, when he began staring at the fire and crying like a baby. A man asked him why, and he replied: “I remembered the Hellfire."

‘Umar ibn ‘Abdul-‘Azeez said: “Contemplation is one of the favours of Allaah and one of the best acts of worship that one can perform.”

‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Utbah asked Umm Tharr about the best act of worship that Abu Tharr would perform, she answered: “Contemplation.”

Al-Hasan wrote to ‘Umar ibn ‘Abdul-‘Azeez saying: “Know that contemplation encourages one to do good and encourages one to shun evil and regret it.”

Muhammad ibn Ka’b said: “To recite only chapter Az-Zalzalah and Al-Qaari’ah all night long with contemplation is dearer to me than reciting the entire Quran without contemplation.”

One must always contemplate, because this will lead him to performing things which please Allaah and which instil tranquillity in his heart, which would make him fearful of Allaah, give him wisdom, and revive his heart.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 8:19am On Jun 08, 2008
am back. hope to 'perform' better.

thanks babs
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 6:57pm On Jun 08, 2008
Welcome brother. Insha Allah, He would give you strength to perform better.

How is Avram Grant grin
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 9:38pm On Jun 10, 2008
wetin concern me concern israelite/? tongue
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:11pm On Jun 11, 2008
Taking Account Of The Self
(Al-Muhaasabah)

Alif Laam Meem. Do the people think that they will be left to say, 'We believe' and they will not be tried? But We have certainly tested those before them, and indeed, Allah knows those who are truthful, and He knows those who lie. [Qur'an 29:17]

The duty of enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong is especially difficult when practised on one's own self. Familiarity takes the edge off of criticism; and Shaytaan is ever prepared to defend the erring soul with countless excuses, for this is his last stronghold, and he will never abandon it willingly.

When Shaytaan loses hope of affecting a believer's deed or speech, he seeks to invade the heart and strike at the root of righteousness - intention. By corrupting the intention, he will win the soul; by injecting it with shirk, he will make it unacceptable Allah (suhaanahu wa ta'aalaa), because in His sight, "Deeds are only according to intentions." {Al-Bukhaari and Muslim] A sensitive believer who knows the weaknesses of the soul can be on guard against the whisperings of Shaytaan and not lose sight of "as-siraat al-mustaqeem. "

'Umar Ibnul-Khattaab advised, "Call yourselves to account before you are called to account."; and undoubtedly, Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa) as given us the means by which to do this:

And We have shown him the two ways. [Qur'an 90:10]

In other words, mankind has been given the tools with which to distinguish good from evil, and right from wrong: observation, perception, conscience, judgement and emotion, all in a delicate balance. But even so, as we are reminded by Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim, such assessment is difficult unless one has the following:

1. The light of wisdom -the light by which Allah has enlightened the hearts of those who follow the teachings of the prophets.

2. The ability to discern between blessing and trials in what Allah as provided, i.e. one's wealth, time, skills, opportunities, influence, etc. - That which is used in ways pleasing to Allah contains blessing and benefit, but that which is used otherwise will be evidence against the soul on the Day of Judgement

3. Suspicion of the self, which leads to a more complete inspection - For indeed, none will harbour a negative thought about his own soul except one who knows it well, while one who thinks well of his soul is most ignorant of himself. [Ibn Al-Qayyim in Madaarij as-Saalikeen]

Except for the most private forms of worship, most of our deeds are observed by others and judged by them. However, Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa) is concerned with that is in the heart. "Allah does not look to your bodies or your faces, but he looks to your hearts an deeds." [Muslim] The quantity of deeds is therefore less important than the quality (how and why). No matter what the impression of our fellow men, the true intention behind every word and action is known only by Allah, and it is He Who judges from the position of absolute familiarity with every soul and every circumstance.

He knows that which deceives the eyes and what the breasts conceal. Qur'an 40:19

How easy it is to make excuses or justify oneself to others. However, one must constantly remember that Allah is aware of the entire truth; therefore, we ourselves must face the truth as well. Speaking directly to His servants in the Qur'an, Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa) says:

And know that Allah knows what is within yourselves so be aware of Him. Qur'an 2:235

And know that Allah comes between a man and his heart and that to Him you shall be gathered. Qur'an 8:24

Truly He knows the secret and what is even more hidden. Qur'an 20:7
So do not represent yourselves as righteous, for He knows best who fears Him. Qur'an 53:32

Whether you show what is within yourselves or conceal it, Allah will hold you to account for it. Qur'an 2:284

These verses were terrifying to the Prophet's companions (radiallahu 'anhu). Because of their intense devotion and their consciousness of Allah, they often worried about certain thoughts and feelings that came to them, repeatedly asking the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) about them until they were finally reassured, "Allah has overlooked for me in my community that which occurs in their minds as long as they neither speak of it nor act upon it." [Al-Bukhaari, Muslim, At-Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, An-Nasaai, Ibn Maajah] The pious companions and their followers were the most critical of their own souls, always seeking to correct themselves in anticipation of the Judgement; and indeed, they were the best of the community. After the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) had confided to Hudhayfah the names of some of the hypocrites, 'Umar asked him fearfully, "Am I among them?" Thus, when Allah wishes good for His servant, he makes him aware of his own
faults.

Keeping the soul in line involves a continuous struggle against Shaytaan:

Certainly, Shaytaan is an enemy to you. So take him as an enemy. [Qur'an 35:6]

Through knowledge, one can protect himself from Shaytaan, so every believer should be aware of the following facts:

1. Every soul has certain weaknesses, and Shaytaan is always looking for the opportunity to take advantage of them and exploit them to the utmost degree. Each individual soul is susceptible to certain temptation more than others; thus there is a need for one recognise his own particular weaknesses and guard against them. In several verses the Qur'an refers to disbelief (kufr) and hypocrisy (nifaq) as "disease in the heart." Lesser faults and weaknesses were also labelled by scholars as "diseases of the heart." These include tendencies toward anger, hate, envy , selfishness, conceit or injustice, as well as love of wealth, prestige, physical pleasures or excess - even in those things normally permissible. All of them are doors open to Shaytaan.

2. Two conditions are required for Allah's acceptance of any deed:

Sincerity of intention, i.e. it must be done for Him alone to seek is pleasure or to prevent is anger. Even ordinary daily tasks become forms of worship when performed with this in mind. Honesty, precision and conscientiousness in every deed is required by Allah and rewarded by Him.

Correctness - It must be done according to His ordained religion, i.e. lawful according to the Qur'an and the sunnah of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam)

It must be remembered that nay action carried out according to erroneous traditions, unlawful innovations or personal preferences can be faulted in both categories. In reference to this, the Qur'an states:

So whoever hopes to meet his Lord, let him do righteous work and not associate in the worship of his Lord anyone. [Qur'an 18:110]

3. Shirk destroys any good deeds a person may have done, no matter how great or numerous. And this also is affirmed clearly:

If you should associate others with Allah your work would perish [Qur'an 39:65]

A lesser form of shirk is showing one's deeds to others or speaking about them in order to gain respect or some other worldly benefit. This kind of "showing off" is called hidden shirk because it is not usually evident to others. In fact, the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) described it as "more hidden than the creeping of ants." Only the sincere believer recognises hidden shirk and feels pain and sadness if he should succumb to it from time to time: but others practice it continually, without even being aware of it. They are the ones who have forgotten Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa) to such an extent that the opinions of people become all-important.

Showing off, when done consciously and purposely, nullifies the deed and can lead to punishment. The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) has stated that the first to be condemned on the Day of Judgement will be a martyr, a qari' (a reciter of the Qur'an) and a giver of charity. When each of them comes before his Lord declaring that his great work was done for Him, he will be told, "You have lied." Allah will say to the martyr, "You fought to be called brave, and it was said." And He will say to the reciter, "You learned and taught to be called a scholar, and you recited to be called a qari'; and it was said." And to the charitable one, "You spent to be called generous, and it was said." Then it will be commanded that each be dragged on his face and thrown into the Fire. [Abridged from a hadeeth narrated by Muslim, At-Tirmidhi and An-Nasaai]

Thus, when a person seeks a worldly result, preferring it to the reward of Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa), he can no longer expect that reward in the Hereafter. In another hadeeth it is related: "If someone makes himself heard, Allah will make heard [that which he concealed]; and if someone shows off, Allah will expose him." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim] This indicates that those who make their deeds known with the intention of being recognised in this world will be exposed by Allah on the Day of Judgement when they are most in need of His acceptance.

The following are some example of deliberate hidden shirk:

Lengthening the prayer, or perhaps, only the period of prostration in the presence of others
Purposely displaying the effects of fasting, jihad or other deeds on the body
Wearing certain clothing known to be that of ascetics or scholars, or taking care to be seen with them
Speaking unnecessarily about good deeds done previously, seeking admiration
Lowering the voice to imply fear of Allah or other affected mannerisms

Showing off knowledge or skill in conversation or using the remembrance of Allah repeatedly to give an impression of piety, or giving advice and warnings in order to be considered a wise and caring benefactor - This is most prevalent among some scholars and religious leaders who feel compelled to live up to the expectations of their followers

Undoubtedly, there are those who reason that if a deed is done initially with the intention of reward in the Hereafter, then what harm is there in looking for a worldly benefit in it as well? But Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa) has disclosed in a hadeeth qudsi, "I am most self-sufficient of partners, needing no partnership; so if one does a deed for Me and for another [simultaneously] , then I am disassociated from it, and it is only for the other partner." [Muslim and Ibn Maajah]

There are, as well, some non-deliberate mistakes which may lessen one's reward without cancelling it completely. These include the following:

Mentioning one's good works after their completion

Taking pride inwardly in one's deeds or even in one's sincerity

Performing righteous works because of the pleasure found in them (other than the pleasure of serving Allah)
Showing that which reveals much worship on the body or in the voice (other than speech)
Being unhappy if one's charity or help is not appreciated by the recipient Appreciation and reward would be expected only from Allah

Finding acts of worship easier to perform if others are aware of them and experiencing pleasure in others observance of these acts.

Those most faithful to Allah are in constant fear of hidden shirk and they continually exert efforts to conceal their righteous deeds, unless, for some reason, there is more benefit in disclosing them.

At this point, some reassurance may be necessary; for there are things which one might imagine to be shirk but are not:

Accepting thanks for praise for some good which one has done - The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, "That is an immediate sign of good tidings for the believer." [Muslim] It is merely a preview of what awaits him in the Hereafter, but on the condition that it subsequently does not go to his head. There is no harm in fame gained by a person who does not seek it, but he must take care that it does not corrupt his soul.
Accepting payment for a job done initially seeking reward from Allah - Such is the case of one who chooses a certain vocation for which there is a need in the community while he could just as well earn his living in some other way.

Wearing good clothes - This is not blameworthy unless it is done in conceit, for the purpose of showing off or involves extravagance and waste. As stated in a hadeeth; When Allah blesses His servant with a blessing, He likes to see it upon him." [At-Tabaraani]

Setting a good example for others (as a means of teaching)

One should remember the following two points as well:

Concealing one's sin is a duty. A Muslim should not speak of sins he has committed; rather, he should repent privately and correct his behaviour. Then Allah will conceal that sin for him on the Day of Judgement and forgive him.

Increasing the amount of worship when one is among a group of worshippers is not considered to be showing off. Because the normal wish of a believer is to worship Allah, being the group helps him to overcome certain obstacles (such as his own forgetfulness or laziness) and to realise his original aim.
In an effort to reinstitute the true worship of Allah, scholars have recommended treatments for "diseases of the heart." The foremost of these is the remembrance of Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa).

Remember the greatness of Allah and then the insignificance of he world and its impermanent state. Remember that the ultimate source of all benefit and harm to yourself and all beings is Allah. If you fear blame, fear the blame of Allah; and if your seek praise, hope for the praise of Allah. Remember that Allah looks into your heart. Imagine your state if you should die while committing sin, either openly or secretly - just imagine the humiliation of exposure before all the creation on the Day of Judgement Remember the certainty of death and the shortness of life. Remember the punishment of the grave and that of the Hellfire. Hope for the blessings of Paradise and the pleasure of Allah.
Once you are aware of your mistake, turn to Allah in earnest repentance, asking forgiveness and correcting yourself thereafter. Always be on guard and ask Allah to help you to avoid falling into such errors in the future. The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) taught his companions this supplication:
"O Allah, we seek refuge in You from associating with You anything we know of, and we ask Your forgiveness for that which we do not know." [Ahmed]

Make a conscious effort to do more righteous deeds secretly without mentioning them until it becomes a habit.
Take as friends and companions those you consider to be sincere, righteous and God-fearing. Encourage them to point out your faults and help you to overcome them. Accept advice without anger and try to follow that which is conducive to improvement.

Finally, do not let Shaytaan prevent your good work's by suggesting that you are showing off. If you find something of that within yourself, continue your works but correct your intention, seeking acceptance from Allah alone. For in Allah's acceptance is salvation and success,

Our Lord, do not let our hearts deviate after you have guided us, and give us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, it is You who is the Giver of all things. [Qur'an 3:8]

Amin
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:14pm On Jun 11, 2008
wetin concern me concern israelite/?

shocked but cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:56pm On Jun 12, 2008
Virtues of Qiyam Al-Layl (KEEPING NIGHT) 1

AS-SALAM ALEIKUM WARAMOTULAH

Dear brothers and sisters,

All praise belongs to God, We praise him, We seek his aid, we seek his forgiveness and we turn unto him in repentance. We seek refuge with God from the evil of our souls and from sinful deeds. Whomever God guides, none can misguide him; and whomever He leaves astray, none can guide him. I bear witness that there is no god worth of worship except God and I bear witness that The Great Prophet is His servant and Messenger.

May God bestow His peace and blessing upon Prophet The Great Prophet, upon his good and pure family, as well as all the noble Companions and those who follow them in righteousness until the day of reckoning.

We call on God to bless the souls of our leaders Abu Bakri and Umar and Uthman and Alli and there household and their righteous companions and the immediate followers of them and those that follows them in goodness till the day f reckoning.

Al-hamdulilah to God once again for hearing from each in spite of our tight and ethic schedule, am really dedicating this reminder to only one person, may his soul rest in perfect peace Amen, the late Baba adinni of Nigeria, Alh. chief Iyanda Wahab Folawiyo, lets recite one surat ikhlaz for him.

Briefly, one thing I now about this father is that he finance a program of a call to solaat (five daily calls on radio), which benefit a lot of people am talking about the handicap, the blind and even you and if that were created perfectly when we tends to forget the time of solaat during our daily dealings. wait a minute I can point out something here can your remember before Bilal started calling the Azan out, have you forgotten the braveness of Umar ibn khatab? who standout in present of the warriors of the makkans saying: let him come and face me he who doesn't  care if his wife could turn to a widow, he who does care if his children can turn orphans and his family can loss him. Anyway I can't count his reward till the day when calling Azan will  be no more, but I can say more about the reward of the caller

`Abdullah bin `Abdur-Rahman reported: Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May God be pleased with him) said to me: "I see that you like living among your sheep in wilderness. So whenever you are with your sheep or in wilderness and you want to call Adhan, you should raise your voice because whoever hears the Adhan, whether a human or jinn or any other creature, will testify for you on the Day of Resurrection.'' Abu Sa`id added: "I heard this from the Messenger of God (PBUH).''
[Al-Bukhari].

So this is another sacrifice entirely, God does make it easy for some people to spend out of wealth righteously but not easy for some people including their time for God in times of Five times daily prayer talk less of night sacrifice. I pray to God to make it an easy one for each and every one of us.

Q73, V2 : Whatever good you send on is for yourselves, you will find it with God, he is the best and greatest in bestowing reward

Q2, V274: Whatever of your pure wealth you spend, God has full knowledge thereof

Barka Jumah (wishing you the blessing of Jumah)
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 9:02pm On Jun 12, 2008
Virtues of Qiyam Al-Layl:

Allah the exalted has

The Qur’an says what means:

*{And as for the night keep awake a part of it as an additional prayer for thee: soon will thy Lord raise thee to a station of praise and glory!}* (Al-Israa' 17:79)

This was a command directly addressed to the prophet (peace be upon him), but it is also meant for his followers to adopt these special prayers, as additional prayers of devotion to Allah. In the Qur'an, Allah speaks of such devotees who ", fall down in adoration and celebrate the praises of their Lord and are so God-fearing that they leave their comfortable beds to remember God and seek His forgiveness, "

*{They do forsake their beds of sleep, the while they call on their Lord, in fear and hope, }* (As-Sajdah 32:16)

And again, we read about the blessed souls who are engaged most of the night in worshipful remembrance of Allah and prayers for His grace and mercy:

*{They were in the habit of sleeping but little by night, and in the hours of early dawn, they [were found] praying for forgiveness…}* (Adh-Dhariyat 51:17-18)

All the above verses make obvious reference to Qiyam Al-Layl. In addition, the Prophet has said:

"Keep up Qiyam Al-Layl. It was the way of the virtuous who came before you, it draws you nearer to your Lord, atones for your sins, forbids you from evil and protects the body from sickness." (At-Tirmidhi)

`A'ishah, the wife of the Prophet (peace be upon him) reported that he used to keep standing - in long night prayer - so long that the skin of his feet would crack. When asked, why he did this while all his past and future sins were forgiven, he said:
"Should I not be a grateful slave of Allah?" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

`Abdullah Ibn Salam also reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"O people, promote the greetings, feed [the poor and needy] and perform prayers, when others are asleep, so that you will enter paradise safely." (At- Tirmidhi)

On the other hand, Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) has said:

“The best of prayers, after the prescribed prayers, is prayer in the depths of the night, and the best of fasting after the month of Ramadan is fasting the month of Allah, Muharram.” (Muslim)

According to `Amr ibn`Absah, the Prophet (peace be upon him) has said:

“The time when the closest the Lord is to His slave is in the later part of the night, so if you can be one of those who remember Allah at that time, then do so.” (At-Tirmidhi)

Also, Yahya ibn Mu`adh said:

“Remedy of the heart consists of five things: reading the Qur’an and pondering over its meaning, having an empty stomach, praying at night (Qiyam Al-Layl), beseeching Allah at the time of sahar and keeping company with righteous people.”

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) preferred to go to sleep early, after `Isha' prayer. The reason was to avoid sleeping too long, for fear of missing Fajr prayer, or Qiyam Al-Layl. Also, `Umar ibn al-Khatab used to urge people to sleep early, so that they would not miss Qiyam Al-Layl.

`Uqbah ibn `Aamir reported the Prophet (peace be upon him) has said:

“When a man from my Ummah (nation) gets up to pray at night, striving against his own self to get up and purify himself, there are knots on him. When he washes his hands in wudu', one knot is undone. When he washes his face, another knot is undone. When he wipes his head another knot is undone. When he washes his feet, another knot is undone. Then Allah says to those who are veiled (in the unseen): Look at this slave of Mine, he is striving against his own self and asking for Me. Whatever My slave asks of Me shall be his.” (Ahmad)

Qiyam Al-Layl is an act of worship that connects the heart to Allah and enables it to overcome the temptations of life and to strive against one’s own self, at the time when voices are stilled, eyes are closed in sleep, and sleepers are tossing and turning in their beds. Therefore, Qiyam Al-Layl is one of the measures of sincere determination and one of the qualities of those who have great ambitions. Allah has praised them and distinguished them from others in the Qur’an, where He says:

*{Is one who is obedient to Allah, prostrating himself or standing [in prayer] during the hours of the night, fearing the Hereafter and hoping for the mercy of his Lord [like one who disbelieves]? Say: ‘Are those who know equal to those who know not?’ It is only men of understanding who will remember.}* (Az-Zumar 39:9)

Qiyam Al-Layl is a sunnah mu'akkadah (confirmed habit of the Prophet, recommended to be followed), which he (peace be upon him) urged us to do when he said:

“You should pray Qiyam Al-Layl, for it is the habit of the righteous people who came before you, and it will bring you closer to your Lord, will expiate for bad deeds, prevent sin and expel disease from the body.” (At-Tirmidhi and Ahmad)

He (peace be upon him) always had the habit of praying Qiyam Al-Layl, and never gave it up, whether he was traveling or staying at home.

Among the pious ladies of the old times too, we read of many who were very keen to pray Qiyam Al-Layl. Anas ibn Malik reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

“Jibreel said to me, ‘Go back to Hafsah, for she fasts a lot and prays a lot at night (Qiyam Al-Layl).’” (Al-Hakim)

Mu`adhah al-`Adawiyah, one of the righteous women physicians spent her wedding night, along with her husband Silah ibn Ashyam, praying until dawn. Then, when her husband and son were killed in the land of Jihad, she would spend the whole night in prayer, worshipping and beseeching Allah. Then, she would sleep during the day. If she felt sleepy whilst she was praying at night, she would tell herself: “O soul, there is plenty of sleep ahead of you.”

The above sayings and anecdotes of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his early followers clearly illustrate importance of Qiyam Al-Layl. It tells us about the boundless blessings Allah would bestow on us, if we care to spend the few hours of the night in prayerful worship of our All-Merciful Lord.

May Allah bless us to be His sincere devotees, to merit His rewards here and hereafter!

Salam.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2008
Friday Message

Scenes from the hereafter

The Exposure

Mankind, from Aadam to the last man to be created, will be exposed before their Lord-Allaah Almighty- for judgment, as He, The Most Exalted, Says (what means): “And they shall be presented before their Lord in rows.” [Quran 18: 48]

The Prophet said, “Mankind will be exposed three exposures on the Day of Resurrection. The [first] two exposures shall be disputation and excuses, but at the third [exposure], the scrolls [of deeds] will be distributed, and then some will take them in their right hands, others in their left.” [At-Tirmithi]

So, the first time, people will dispute with one another: the weak with the tyrants who hindered them from faith, the tyrants responding that they are, in the final analysis, not to blame, for each individual believes or disbelieves by his/her own conscious decision. The disbelievers will deny that prophets came to them.

At the second exposure, people will acknowledge their wrongs, and will seek excuses. With the third exposure, the books of deeds will be distributed amongst them. Receiving the book in the right hand signifies success, while receiving it in the left hand or behind one’s back signifies failure.

Allaah, the Most Exalted, Says (what means):

"O mankind, indeed you are laboring toward your Lord with [great] exertion and will meet it. Then as for he who is given his record in his right hand. He will be judged with an easy account. And return to his people in happiness. But as for he who is given his record behind his back. He will cry out for destruction. And [enter to] burn in a Blaze." [Quran 84: 6-12]

The Questioning

Allaah, the Most Exalted, Says (what means): “So by your Lord, We will surely question them all. About what they used to do.” [Quran 15: 92-93] and (what means): “Then We will surely question those to whom [a message] was sent, and We will surely question the messengers.” [Quran 7: 6]

The people will be questioned about whether messengers came to them, and how they responded to them. The messengers themselves will be questioned about whether they conveyed the message.

Belief in the questioning and reckoning of the Hereafter instills a sense of responsibility and accountability in the Muslim. He must be constantly watching over his heart and his deeds, and must be prepared to forego those fleeting, ephemeral pleasures of this world which are available to him on the path of sin. He must be prepared to undergo some suffering and hardship in the temporary abode (worldly life), in order to avoid the inescapable consequences of evil in the Hereafter. He must fear standing before his Lord if he desires safety on that ghastly day. Allaah, the Almighty and Majestic, Says in a Hadeeth Qudsi (narration in which the meaning is from Allaah and the wording is from Prophet Muhammad ): “By My Might! I shall not combine for My slave two lives of fear, nor two lives of surety.” [Ibn Hibbaan]

People will be questioned, on the Day of Judgment:

1. About faith, as the Prophet said: “You will be asked about (the testimony of faith): ‘Laa ilaaha illallaah (none is worthy of worship but Allaah)’” [At-Tirmithi]

2. About the five-daily prayers: The Prophet said “The first thing which the slave will be questioned about on the Day of Resurrection will be his prayer. If it is in order, then he shall have prospered and succeeded, while if it is impaired, then he shall have failed and be ruined.” [At-Tirmithi]

3. About those under one's care: Allaah Almighty Says (what means):

“O you who have believed! Protect yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, ” [Quran 66: 6]

The Prophet said: “Every one of you is a guardian, and every one of you will be asked about those under his care. The man is a guardian over his family, and will be questioned about those under his care. The woman is a guardian over her husband’s house, and will be questioned about that under her care. The slave is a guardian over his master’s property, and will be questioned for that under his care.” [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

4. About the bodily organs: Allaah Almighty Says (what means):

“And do not pursue that of which you have no knowledge. Indeed, the hearing, the sight and the heart- about all those [one] will be questioned (by Allaah), ” [Quran 17: 36]

5. About delights: Allaah Almighty Says (what means): “Then on that Day you shall be asked about pleasure (you indulged in, in this world)!” [Quran 102:8]

6. About intentions: Allaah Almighty Says (what means): “Whoever desires the life of this world and its adornments — We fully repay them for their deeds therein, and they therein will not be deprived.” [Quran 11:15-16]

In a long narration reported by Muslim we are told that the men whose cases shall be judged first on the Day of Resurrection shall be a man who was martyred, a man who acquired knowledge and taught it and who recited the Quran, and a man to whom Allaah had been generous and given many varieties of wealth. These men will acknowledge Allaah’s favors upon them, and will claim that they did these deeds for His sake. They will be exposed as liars, for they did not do these deeds for the sake of Allaah. The man who was martyred had been fighting in order to be called brave, the scholar or reciter of the Quran had acted thus in order to gain a reputation as such, and the benefactor had sought recognition as a generous person. Since deeds are judged according to their intentions, these people received what they had sought through these deeds, and so they will not receive reward for them on the Day of Judgment. Hence, they will be dragged into Hell on their faces.

Additionally, there are four questions which everyone must face on the Day of Judgement. The Prophet said: “The feet of a slave will not move on the Day of Judgement until he has been questioned about [four things:] his life – how he spent it, his knowledge – how he acted upon it, his wealth – where he earned it and how he spent it, and his body – how he used it.” [At-Tirmithi]
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 2:02pm On Jun 14, 2008
babs787:

shocked but cheesy

sorry 4 diverting.

Luis Felipe Scolari

World class coach of Chelsea! cheesy cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 4:10pm On Jun 14, 2008
sorry 4 diverting.

Luis Felipe Scolari

World class coach of Chelsea!

We would see that before the end of the new season. grin
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by samba123(m): 10:03am On Jun 15, 2008
Inner Qur'an

I seek refuge in Al’lah from the evils of the accursed satan.
In the name of Al’lah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate.

May all the peace, the beneficence, and the blessings of God be upon you.
Brothers and sisters in Is’lam, no matter what changes occur throughout the ages, the Qur'an is one thing that never changes. It is immutable. It offers an explanation appropriate for every period of time and for every level of understanding. All the meanings it contains could not be written down even if all the oceans of the world were made into ink and all the trees were made into pens.

To comprehend the Qur'an, first we must establish our absolute faith, certitude, and determination then we must acquire wisdom; and finally we must delve deep inside and study it from within. If we look into the depths of the Qur'an, we will find the complete never-ending wealth and grace of Almighty God. We will find the light of Al’lah, the resplendence of Al’lah. We will not find racial or religious prejudices, battles, or fighting of any kind. We will find only the benevolence of all the universes.

The Qur'an appeared as the beginning, the emergence of creation (Awwal Muham’mad), as the eternal life, the emergence of the soul (Hayah Muham’mad), as the food, the nourishment for all creations (An 'um Muham’mad), as the innermost heart (Ahmad), as the beauty of the face which is a reflection of the beauty of the heart (Muham’mad), and as the plenitude, the light which became completeness within Al’lah and then emerged (Nur Muham’mad).

The Qur'an is a treasure which continually speaks to our faith. Its verses were sent to Muhammad one by one, according to the needs of the people, the difficulties they were undergoing, and the questions they asked. These verses and chapters were sent to bring clarity to man, from the time he appears as a fetus, as the mim, to the moment he reaches the shore of the hereafter. They cleanse man stage by stage. Whatever state he is in at one time of prayer, the Qur'an explains the state he should achieve by the next prayer time. In this way, the Qur' an lifts man up, causing his wisdom, his beauty, and his divine knowledge6 to grow little by little.

The Prophet said, "Even though I depart from the world, I leave you the Qur'an. That is your evidence. Please keep it close to you. The Qur'an will be a teacher and a learned one to the innermost heart." That is why its verses were sent to mankind. Step by step the Qur'an elevates man; chapter by chapter, it cuts away all the things within him that need to be discarded. That is the purpose of the Qur'an-to eliminate the four hundred trillion, ten thousand degenerate qualities and actions which oppose the truth of God, and to show man how to develop, how to beautify and improve himself.

The Qur'an has the capacity to cut away this birth, to cast out arrogance, karma, illusion, and the sexual energies of the three sons of illusion. It can dispel man's love for earth, sensual pleasures, and gold. It can drive away lust, anger, miserliness, attachment, bigotry, envy, theft, murder, falsehood, and the effects of intoxicants.
To rid himself of these evil qualities, a true human being must sacrifice and purify his heart for Al’lah. He must perform the ritual sacrifice called qurban for the sake of truth and justice, for the sake of righteous action, duty, equality, peacefulness, unity, and for the love of the one human family. If he does this, he will acquire the qualities, actions, and beauty of Al’lah. This is the state which the Qur'an depicts, the path of perfect purity This is Al’lah's kingdom, and He is the only One who protects it, conducts its affairs, and rules over it with total justice. Anyone who acts according to that justice and understands Al’lah in completeness becomes His slave.Such a man owns nothing of his own, and so Al’lah protects him and looks after all his needs.

If a man progresses to this state of purity, if he succeeds in cutting away all these evil qualities, then he becomes a true believer, living for nothing other than Al’lah, and having nothing other than Allah in his thoughts or intentions. He does not concern himself with seeing or hearing others, because no one else exists for him. He sees nothing other than Al’lah. He speaks to no one other than Allah. He has closed himself off to the sight and sound of everything but Al’lah. That is why he is called an ummi, an unlettered one. And because he has no words of his own, Al’lah's words and sounds come through him. He becomes the hadith which explains the inner and outer aspects of Al’lah's revelations. In that state, his body or form is the holy book and his innermost heart is the Umm al-Qur'an. What does Umm mean? It means "mother." The mother who raises the true believer is the Umm al-Qur'an, the mother of justice and faith, the mother of man's wisdom. The Umm al-Qur'an is the essence of the Qur'an, the eye of the Qur'an.
If man will only open that eye, he will know Al’lah, and knowing Al’lah, he will hear only His sounds and His words.

This was the state of the Prophet, Muham’mad al-Ummi. He was unlearned, and therefore, the words that he received could only have come through God's revelation. Al’lah explained to Muham’mad the meaning of Iman-Is’lam, prayer, worship, and everything He had revealed to the earlier prophets. Through Muham’mad, His Final Prophet, Al’lah clarified everything for mankind.

Of all the prophets, only Moses and Muham’mad attained the state where they met and spoke directly to God-Moses on Mount Sinai, when God revealed Himself as a resplendent light, and Muham’mad once face to face during his mystical journey to heaven, and also in the many direct revelations he received.

Moses and Muham’mad also shared another distinction. They were the only two prophets whose names began with the letter mim. The mim was what Al’lah created first, and from it He made all of His creations. The letter mim covers the universes of the primal beginning, this world, and the hereafter. It penetrates the essence and the manifestation, as well as good and evil. All creations begin with mim, and as long as they continue to appear, that mim, the pearl of creation, will exist. It is endless.

Through that mim Al’lah gave Moses the Ten Commandments and the explanations of the Torah, showing him what was permissible and forbidden according to God's law, and what was good and evil? With the grace of that mim, Moses was able to perform miracles and to deliver his people from Pharoah. And it was to the mim in Muham’mad that Al’lah revealed the verses of the Qur' an.

The Sufis say that it is impossible to give a complete explanation of the mim; it can only be grasped by those who search deeply with perfect faith and an open heart. How then is it possible to explain who Muham’mad truly is? How can we say when Muham’mad was created or when he appeared? Only if we understand the real Qur'an completely can we understand Muham’mad. Until a man reaches that state, he will continue to say that Muham’mad is the son of Aminah and 'Abdul’lah. The Sufis call Muham’mad the light of the innermost heart. In Tamil muham means face and aham means heart. When the Ahmad, the state of the heart, becomes Muham’mad, then the light of the innermost heart is revealed in the beauty of the face.

The Sufis also say that only when man comes to a realization of himself and dives deep within the inner Qur'an, drinking from its essence, will the truth of Muham’mad be revealed to him in his meditation. Only when he reaches the state where he speaks to Allah alone, can he be said to truly exist in Islam. When he attains that state of communion with Al’lah, he will understand that the Qur'an and the holy books are his own body, the inner mystical form of a true human being. Such a man will understand the inner meaning of al-hamdu lil’lah, which is the praise of the inner form of man. Understanding the history of the One who is all praise, he will glorify Him alone. Only then can he see this history as one continuous study, an endless ocean of divine knowledge. Otherwise, each book he reads will explain a few points and then refer him to another book which will then refer him to yet another book. As long as he continues reading only those outer books, he will never reach his freedom.

My brothers, we must consider how the Qur'an came from Al’lah, and we must delve deep within it. In order to understand its true meaning, we must be in the same state as that original Qur'an was when it emerged from Allah. It came as a resplendence, a radiance, a resonance, and a grace. Then it came as a light to Gabriel. And when it came to Muham.mad, the Messenger, it came as the grace and attributes of Al’lah. Next Muham.mad brought it to us as a revelation. Then the sound of these revelations was transformed into letters and formed into words. What was revealed in those words ultimately became public knowledge and part of history. The interpretations of this knowledge later gave rise to religious differences, divisions, and bigotry, which in turn gave rise to prejudice, fighting, and wars. This is the state the world has come to.

We, however, must delve into the depths of the Qur' an; we must experience each step of the way as it originally came from Al’lah. As we look deeper and deeper, we will see the Messenger of God, and once we see him, we will know how Gabriel came to him and how he received that grace. We will see the light, and if we look through that light we will experience the resonance of Allah within the Qur'an. As we understand that resonance, we will understand our life and our death; we will understand the Day of Judgment, the Day of Questioning, and the ninety-nine attributes of Al’lah.

Once we have this understanding, we will see that all men are our brothers, just as the Qur'an teaches us. To truly see all people as our brothers is Is’lam. If we see anyone who is in need, we must offer him the water of the mercy of all the universes, the water of absolute faith, and the affirmation of that faith, the kalimah. That water must be given to everyone who is hungry or thirsty. We must embrace them lovingly, quench their thirst, and wash away their dirt. We must offer them love, compassion, patience, and tolerance, just as the Prophet did. This is what will satisfy their needs and dispel the darkness in their hearts.

My brothers and sisters in Is’lam, if we offer peace, then justice will flourish. Love will cut away all enmity. Compassion will cause God's grace to grow in this world, and then the food of faith and the mercy of all the universes can be offered. When that food is given, hunger, disease, old age, and death will be eliminated, and everyone will have peace.

Al’lah and the state of a true human being are right here within us. It is a great secret, hidden within our hearts, within the Umm al-Qur'an. Only if we can study this divine knowledge can we attain our freedom. All who have faith must reflect upon this, understand it, and teach it to those who have less wisdom, to those who have no clarity of heart, to those whose minds oppose us, and to those who have no peace of mind. We must teach them these qualities, give them this food, this beauty, and this nourishment of grace and absolute faith. Every human being in the community of Is’lam, everyone who has faith, all those who are learned and wise, all the leaders of prayer and the teachers, all those who know the Qur'an-all must understand this. This is what I ask of you.

Amen. All’ah is sufficient unto us all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (32) (Reply)

Is This The Most Beautiful Mosque In Nigeria? / Where 2 Oceans Meet But Do Not Mix, Confirmed By The Quran Over 1400 Years Back / 10 Incredible Health Benefits Of Fasting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 445
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.