Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Starting A Music Studio - Music Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music Business / Starting A Music Studio (68881 Views)

Cost Of Setting Up A Standard Music Studio In Ibadan. / Allstars Music Studio, Orile Iganmu, Lagos N5000 For A Music Section, Marketing / How To Become A Music Producer For Famous Artistes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Music Studio by Utali(m): 7:13am On Sep 30, 2009
sojioguns:

@richo2, The poster wants to setup a music studio, not an artiste management outfit. All he needs is the necessary equipment, personnel and conducive environment for clients. You need a small bar that artistes would use to relax between sessions. I don't run one but I would like to open one soon.
By the way, I have tailored a solution that would cost less than N200k for equipment alone!
I don't see any solution that beats that.

I have sent you email so you can advise further
Thanks
Re: Starting A Music Studio by Nobody: 2:11am On Oct 06, 2009
To setup a studio, the first consideration should be the size of the studio and its standard, as in we talk about home project or proffesional,

Anyway Nigeria has only 1 or two proffesional studio, internationally speaking,

Ok next is costing, as in for setup

Here are the basics for a standard studio to be able to make award making beats

1. A proffesional sound card like Creative sound blaster Xfile, or C-Media sound card
2. A sequencer like A Midi Controller Lets say Roland A-70 (Best ever created controller as cheap as hell)
3.A 32 CHANNEL MIXER (This is the standard mixer for production studios, but come to think of it how many instumentation is going to be played aint even up to 16)
4. A desktop system of about 160gb and ram of 1gb is just perfect
5. A preety software like Cubase, (Producers abroad have used it to win grammies and will still, so forget the hike on protools)
6.Voice editing softwares, thats if you choose to own a voicing studio in addition to a sound production (cause throughly most tracks even internationally are voiced at other studios with better or best voicing equipment)
7. A voice booth ( Choice of size is solely according to fund available notesadA one an voice booth can produce better voicing that 30 man booth if well used ( Afterall the voices can enter seperate chanels and still be mixed TOGETHER even if an army of 100 choir wants to sing TOgether, but basically the larger the best
8. Good management,

Donpuzo ( Young Don Records)

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Music Studio by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 06, 2009
Forgot the Mics

Thanks to the guy who recommended Nueman but cheaper Dynamic mics offer great sounds also at cheaper rates,
Re: Starting A Music Studio by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 09, 2009
@donpuzo
can you talk on the voice booth construction and room acoustics.
Also where can i buy those equipments and how much for each apprx not including the computer. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Music Studio by Saddam: 10:55pm On Oct 29, 2009
Call Chiboy on

on 08037122698
Re: Starting A Music Studio by ladex142(m): 10:31am On Nov 08, 2009
I think it all boils down to your budget

checkout this site http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm , it's loaded with information on how to setup a studio
the way i see it, there's is no escaping spending some heavy cash, lol.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Music Studio by ElRazur: 10:13pm On Feb 23, 2010
A lot of people have stated a lot of things and I will just like to add a few things:

I just scanned through your post, I am guessing you are looking to set up a home studio? If so, you may want to consider if you want it to be computer based or hard ware base. Personally, I am sort of using a hybrid studio - Computer, software and physical hard drive.

Also, depending on your budget, there may be a few things you need to look at.

Overall, you need the following - Assuming you are on a modest budget.

A computer
with a good processor - AMD processors and motherboards will give you plenty of value for your money. A lot of people now recommend. You may want to consider a quad-processor. Here is where I buy my stuff as they are cheap:

You may need something like this:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MBB-6204G

It is a quad core and may handle all you have to throw at it. Alternatively, you can buy a "Barebone bundle" these are brand new PC but no software on them. It can work out cheaper sometimes. A good example is here:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-6304G

RAM: The more ram you have, it will be to you advantage down the line The above pc comes with 4G which should be enough but you can go crazy, install a 68bit OS and but up to 8G on it lol]

Sound card. Well, if you are running a home studio, you may get away with nothing too fancy, I use this one here - M-Audio 24/96. I have had it for about 3 years or more and I am still using it. Everytime I upgrade my pc, I just take it out. It is THAT good.

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/m-audio-delta-66-24-96-pci-digital-recording-interface--4605

Midi Keyboard There are plenty of them, but a basic one will be right.

Mixer.
It depends on the what you are using, if you are recording vocals, have hardware to go with it, then you may need one. But it is advisable to have one. A basic one will be nice. I have something like this:

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behringer-xenyx-802-premium-mixer--31557

Monitors and Enclosed headphones.
Monitors are needed obviously, to hear the out put. It is best to buy an active monitor - that way, you have one less plug to worry about as it powers itself without an amplifier.
An enclosed head phone will be good as it stops your output getting back into your mic. It can be a night mare if you do not use a proper head phone when recording vocals.

Mic Do not get a usb microphone, it will be of low quality. Invest in something worth while IMO. However, if you are doing home recording then it is okay I guess. I have an MK 219. You may need to read around as there are different types of mics for different types of recording etc.

Then you need other things, like the mic popper stopper, mic stand etc.

Oh you need a big computer screen if you are going to be spending plenty of time in front of your pc. At least a 24inch is my recommendation. If you are deep into it, you may want to hook up two monitor screens. But you will need a graphics card that supports dual display.

If you want to use hardware only, then you may not need a computer that much. Look at MPC, samplers, workstations etc. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Music Studio by 9jabeats(m): 9:26am On Mar 28, 2010
Giant Beats studios,Abuja is offering a unique opportunity for independent artiste to produce their Singles for Only NGN30,000 (each). Which covers Studio fees, Production, Mixing and Mastering.

Your singles will be produced by Dekumzy who produced the international hit ‘Yori yori’And Prokassy the man behind the club banger ‘Wine your Koso’

All Artiste that record during this period stand a chance to win a full album deal with Giant Beats Studios to find out how call;

0819-159-4484 or 0819-158-4484
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=94246337415

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Music Studio by Taitesssy(m): 10:02pm On Apr 14, 2010
Hi guys, could somebody help me with what it takes to set up an analog studio - equipment required, cost and all other necessary information. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Music Studio by musiclover2010: 6:13pm On May 27, 2010
It will coast a lot as you will pay a lot in renting a place for your music studio plus the musical equipment.

So good luck.
Re: Starting A Music Studio by Dizzy001(m): 6:33pm On May 28, 2010
Guys please build up ngn media forum at http://ngnmedia.com/index.php?action=forum and send moderation request to dizzy@ngnmedia.com
Re: Starting A Music Studio by Ikenze: 4:26pm On Jul 15, 2010
Good advice from nice people, They say good market sells itself. If u are good at what u are doing, ofcourse ur luck will always shine. Where I have issues is at opening ur studio in the east, to me, u only need to get a good site, then people who that knows how good u are on the field. If not, it might look like a good friend of mine that packed up his fantastic studio from the east. Anyway good luck to u. When u open, I will like to visit u. Byeee
Re: Starting A Music Studio by Djfreaky1: 2:18pm On Aug 14, 2010
eemm!!! Am new here but want to learn.Thanks.
Re: Starting A Music Studio by hance: 10:23pm On Nov 08, 2010
I am a music technology student level 3.

If your serious about setting up a small studio you will need:

decide if your going to use pc or mac
A Daw (digital audio workstation) i would recommend Ableton live, logic pro, pro tools or cubase
a midi keyboard
get an audio interface like m-audio, saffire, etc. or a mixer if it deals with latency issues
an active studio monitor like the yamaha sm80
condenser microphone like the rode nt1a
a flat response headphone (maybe sennheiser, sony etc.)
then get music theory knowledge or a little of it it helps.

basically depending on how much you have got it is advisable to get a mac because it is now industry standard, you might get a professional job and in the office they use macs, they wnt have the time to give you training so instead they`l replace you immediately.
it is also handy to know abit of logic or pro toosl again this are industry standard also cubase and ableton live knowing a little about other DAW will increase your chances of getting a professional job or getting signed.
you need an audio interface like m-audio for recording vocals so you want get delays. studio monitor are flat and it helps you hear the sound exactly as it is played so when your music is being played on a radio or in a car it sounds exactly the way you mixed it.

hope this helps though bless
Re: Starting A Music Studio by AKMoney1(m): 1:08pm On Nov 18, 2010
Hi my people,Pls i have few questions on Music industry that i want u to help me answer.

What is a record label all about? If one release an album under a label of someone else does that means the label owner have the biggest share of the income of the artiste and if the artiste is been paid for a show does the label also got something from it? Pls help me to analyze the relatnsp btw an artiste and a record label owner and what does it takes to have one record label and what's the process.

My second question is on promo and marketing. How can one promote his/her song? I learnt its done in alaba that u have to pay the marketers for it. Is that true? And wat next after the promo? Is it the marketer that will give the artiste money to make the album or what? And if the album is finally out and selling will the marketer still share the money wit the artiste or what? Please guys help me shed more light on this 2 topics.
Thanks
Re: Starting A Music Studio by joshrego: 11:08am On Nov 25, 2010
It is hard to open a music studio, But if you do a research and plan according to your research, you can construct a studio and market it as well. you should construct your studio based on your design plans. You can make a profit in no time,By offering free studio time and specials for new clients.
Re: Starting A Music Studio by iamlagos: 1:16pm On Nov 29, 2010
Hey Fam pls chex dis jam out off my new mixtape DL and Share *and dont hesitate to drop a comment*

Download here: http:///h9oFIu

Re: Starting A Music Studio by stewie(m): 4:17pm On Jan 17, 2011
Donpuzo:

To setup a studio, the first consideration should be the size of the studio and its standard, as in we talk about home project or proffesional,

Anyway Nigeria has only 1 or two proffesional studio, internationally speaking,

Ok next is costing, as in for setup

Here are the basics for a standard studio to be able to make award making beats

1. A proffesional sound card like Creative sound blaster Xfile, or C-Media sound card
2. A sequencer like A Midi Controller Lets say Roland A-70 (Best ever created controller as cheap as hell)
3.A 32 CHANNEL MIXER (This is the standard mixer for production studios, but come to think of it how many instumentation is going to be played aint even up to 16)
4. A desktop system of about 160gb and ram of 1gb is just perfect
5. A preety software like Cubase, (Producers abroad have used it to win grammies and will still, so forget the hike on protools)
6.Voice editing softwares, thats if you choose to own a voicing studio in addition to a sound production (cause throughly most tracks even internationally are voiced at other studios with better or best voicing equipment)
7. A voice booth ( Choice of size is solely according to fund available notesadA one an voice booth can produce better voicing that 30 man booth if well used ( Afterall the voices can enter seperate chanels and still be mixed TOGETHER even if an army of 100 choir wants to sing TOgether, but basically the larger the best
8. Good management,

Donpuzo ( Young Don Records)

Don Puzo,

how may i contact you to advise further
Re: Starting A Music Studio by stewie(m): 4:28pm On Jan 17, 2011
hance:

basically depending on how much you have got it is advisable to get a mac because it is now industry standard, you might get a professional job and in the office they use macs, they wnt have the time to give you training so instead they`l replace you immediately.
it is also handy to know abit of logic or pro toosl again this are industry standard also cubase and ableton live knowing a little about other DAW will increase your chances of getting a professional job or getting signed.
you need an audio interface like m-audio for recording vocals so you want get delays. studio monitor are flat and it helps you hear the sound exactly as it is played so when your music is being played on a radio or in a car it sounds exactly the way you mixed it.

hope this helps though bless

Hans,

can I reach yo as well? We really need to talk.

unlike your predecessors on the thread, your advise was detailed and somewhat encouraging. besides being a scholar on the subject matter, I believe u got all there is to profer solution on point. Please reach me on 08023119441 gbenga79@yahoo.com. This way, we may discuss variably on setup and way forward.

thanks

stewie
Re: Starting A Music Studio by isaco(m): 10:15am On Feb 24, 2011
Equipmnts are in categories, less quality but cheap, midium n high quality but high in price. Dis isn't sometin 2 write but 2 sit down n talk abovt. The most important thin re d personnels to work in d studio. Good engineer and producer makes a studio. Note that! facebook.com/royalman.yemi
Re: Starting A Music Studio by majikboi(m): 6:02pm On Apr 02, 2011
I'll start by saying the music business in Nigeria right now is a lucrative business. I am saying this because i am a music producer/sound engineer(MAJIK FINGAZ PRODUCTIONS).
Every body want to be a celebrity overnight and the price is high but most people don't care about that.

You i'll need atleast 500k to 700k to setup a digital studio here in lagos. i mean a standard studio. And the location matters too.

If you want to know the rest, do not hesitate to call my number so that we can talk because this is strictly business.

Re: Starting A Music Studio by Ibeleme(f): 3:02pm On Jul 06, 2011
This post got me thinking and realized that a lot of us in Naija here cannot afford to go to a studio and get our music done. Imagine going to a studio and then you have to pay studio time, pay the producer, pay another studio time so that your work can be mixed and probably mastered. It is very costly. What happens if you make a mistake when dropping your vocal? You have to pay again just to correct that mistake.

After all said and done, you find out that you spend excess amount of money just to get one finished song, which you might not even be satisfied with.

The advantages of having your own personal studio are numerous. You can take all the time you need in the world and get that perfect song. You get to work anytime you are in the mood or “spirit”. There is no annoying producer or studio attendant telling you that your time is up. Endless advantages.

There are basic necessities that are need for your home studio. Thinking about it I came up with the following:
1. Computer
2. Recording Software
3. Audio Interface
4. Microphone(s)
5. Studio Monitors
6. Headphones
7. External/Dedicated Hard drive
8. Acoustic Treatment
9. Midi Controller
10. Cables
11. Power Conditioner
12. Accessories

I have a blog www.naijaaudioclass.com where i teach and explain each of these points in depth. Feel free to check it out

1 Like

Re: Starting A Music Studio by coldiz: 6:21am On Aug 13, 2011
Are u an Artiste?,

And u find it difficult making good hits at an affordable price?,

U need worry no more cos SHOCK ENTERTAINMENT has just opened a new musical studio at Omole Phase 2 Estate,

Ikeja and is offering u a promo, Our service and price will blow your mind,

For more information, contact COLDIZ on 08066230807 or 07080065724,

NOTE: Any good Artiste who satisfies the management may be promoted.
Re: Starting A Music Studio by Phawla: 4:11pm On Aug 23, 2011
In my area they charge 15000 per session. U stand a beta chans if u can make beats too or get a beatmaker
Re: Starting A Music Studio by samchide(m): 10:08pm On Feb 15, 2012
Want to buy studio equipment your sound card, sequencer , channel digital mixer. Amps interfaces and soft ware. Studio micro phone e.t.c call 08180011362 08036028085 can supply to you the best of any recording equipment location Alaba international market or Email to me what you want and I will give to you all necessary details xsamchide@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Starting A Music Studio by samchide(m): 1:30pm On Mar 05, 2012
call for your best studio equipment we guarantee your satisfaction
Re: Starting A Music Studio by coldiz: 2:09pm On Mar 07, 2012
Are you a muSical recording artiste in need of HoT Beats tO capture your target audienCe?
Are you talented in HipHop, RnB, RAP, Pop, RocK, Techno music delivery etc? ARe u in search of an audio production that will communicate your promotion and marketing messages using all sorts of viral Jingle sounds?,
Then,
Contact: NOSA (@shockcoldiz) on 08066230807. All quality services at affordable cost. He is the man for the job! (Shock Entertainments).
Re: Starting A Music Studio by menacity(m): 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2012
Pls I need a USB studio MIC ,pls I need a Good 1 nbt nt new sha,only ve 10K pls ,help me I need to do sum recording
Re: Starting A Music Studio by ponti93(m): 11:07am On Aug 16, 2012
am a music producer,poster plz wen u finish ur studio u can call on me lets start work.d guy dat wants 2 open a dj studio u can contact me for help. Mrpounds@ymail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fruity Loops Rap Beats /hiphop Instrumental Maker .free Download.thank Me Later / New Record Label: Searching For Talented Nigerians / New Record Label Looking To Sign Up 5 Talented Upcoming Artists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.