Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran (11272 Views)

Buhari Threatened To Sack Ministers Because Of Extradition Agreement With UAE / South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran / Nigeria Signs Agreement With UAE On Recovery Of Stolen Funds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by babzyshe: 10:23am On Aug 29, 2008
[center]Iran, Nigeria Make Nuke Agreement[/center]
Thursday, Aug. 28, 2008 By AP / BASHIR ADIGUN

(ABUJA, Nigeria) — An Iranian trade delegation announced an agreement Thursday for Iran to share peaceful nuclear technology with Nigeria, to help Africa's biggest oil producer bolster its woeful electricity-generation capacity.
Officials of both countries stressed that the agreement involves only the peaceful uses of atomic energy.

Iran is under sanctions for defying U.N. Security Council demands to halt uranium enrichment until it answers Western suspicions its nuclear program is trying to develop atomic weapons. Iran insists its program is intended only to use nuclear reactors to generate electricity.
Iran, with Russian help, is finishing construction of its first nuclear-powered electricity station, a 1,000-megawatt reactor in the southern city of Bushehr scheduled to begin operation early next year. The Tehran regime has said it plans to build six more nuclear plants by 2021.

Mohammad Ali Zeyghami, a commerce official leading the Iranian delegation, said Iran has the right to share its nuclear know-how with Nigeria. He said oil and other fossil fuels will run out one day and it is crucial to develop other energy sources.
"Nobody can limit the use of knowledge anywhere in the world," Zeyghami said.
Details of the deal were not announced, so it was unclear what technology Iran would provide to Nigeria, which does not have a nuclear energy program now.

Tijanni Kaura, a senior Nigerian Foreign Ministry official, said the agreement deals only with peaceful nuclear technology and shouldn't be seen as an attempt by Africa's most populous nation to start an atomic weapons program.
"Nigeria is never entering into any agreement with Iran for any matter that has to do with weapons," Kaura said.
"There shouldn't be a misunderstanding between exploration or uses of energy to provide power and the uses of energy for weapons ,  so that our relationship with Iran will not be misconstrued by Nigerians and the entire international community."

Nigeria is Africa's biggest petroleum producer, but decades of neglect and corruption in the energy sector have left the country with almost no way to refine crude oil into fuels used to power electricity-generating stations.
Most of the country's 140 million people get only a few hours of state-provided electricity a day, and businesses must rely on costly diesel generators to power their plants.

[url]http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1837414,00.html[/url]
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Ibime(m): 10:55am On Aug 29, 2008
Na lie!

heh. . . . make I just patriate my relatives come dis side before Yankee send missile toward us o!
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by MrCrackles(m): 10:56am On Aug 29, 2008
Ewooooo! shocked
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by babzyshe: 11:24am On Aug 29, 2008
i'm starting to take the US visa lottery much more seriously grin grin

Cos i dont want to be here when it all goes down grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by dudubobo1: 11:46am On Aug 29, 2008
My opinion is that it might be good to explore nuclear technology. Why must everybody else depend on a few countries for their nuclear energy? If we can get it, it's fine because we may be able to advance with it otherwise we will permanently be subservient to western nations who have such technology

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by babzyshe: 12:06pm On Aug 29, 2008
The question we should ask is this: Why IRAN?

If we were really serious about a nuclear program, why don't we look for a country that is most advanced in this technology and have actually been using it for years and can show us tangible evidence.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 12:07pm On Aug 29, 2008
**shudders*****
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by MrCrackles(m): 12:45pm On Aug 29, 2008
Kobojunkie:

**shudders*****

Cold catch you!! grin
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Wordsmith(m): 12:58pm On Aug 29, 2008
<with a feeling of doom>. . . . Oh God!
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by faoni572(m): 2:44pm On Aug 29, 2008
If at all Nigeria gets the nuclear energy, how are they going to maintain it in a country that lacks maintain culture.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by faoni572(m): 2:45pm On Aug 29, 2008
If at all Nigeria gets the nuclear energy, how are they going to maintain it in a country that lacks maintainance culture.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by slyk2(m): 2:51pm On Aug 29, 2008
IRAN signing a pact with Naija?

WE DEY KAMPE
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by iceland(m): 3:07pm On Aug 29, 2008
[quote =topic=165245.msg2724409#msg2724409 date=1220017872]

"Nigeria is never entering into any agreement with Iran for any matter that has to do with weapons," Nigeria's deputy foreign minister Tijjani Kaura said.
[quote][/quote]
Well,I don't trust those arabians popularly known as white hausa.They are not trustworthy.They could be looking for a way to conceal their nuclear weapons in Nigeria.Well it takes a black hausa to sign a deal with a white hausa.they are "MOLAS" in general.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by madamkoko: 3:10pm On Aug 29, 2008
make all you born again hpocrites xtians una go pray for your country. Prayer is needed urgently.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by bawomolo(m): 3:18pm On Aug 29, 2008
of all countries to sign a nuclear pact with, iran is unable to build it's industries without the help of Russian technicians and engineers. countries like france and the US are much better options. can't we follow the indian example

iceland:

Well,I don't trust those arabians popularly known as white hausa.They are not trustworthy.They could be looking for a way to conceal their nuclear weapons in Nigeria.Well it takes a black hausa to sign a deal with a white hausa.they are "MOLAS" in general.

iranians are persian and not arab

faoni572:

If at all Nigeria gets the nuclear energy, how are they going to maintain it in a country that lacks maintainance culture.

chernobyl? nah my best bet is that the nuclear power plants would be managed by foreign companies.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by cheng: 3:22pm On Aug 29, 2008
Care need to be taking when making final decision, if not

Many may suffer sad
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by quadrillio(m): 3:26pm On Aug 29, 2008
Nothing us, Naija joooooooo
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Reese1: 3:29pm On Aug 29, 2008
Whoa, Why Iran though?!?! Let's just assume there's great, honorable intentions all around, but WHY FREAKING IRAN?!, Why would they decide to trust that Alhamenijad (not sure of the spelling), Gosh, Nigerian leaders and their judgment, or lack of  
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by madamkoko: 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2008
to share peaceful nuclear technology with Nigeria, to help Africa's biggest oil producer bolster its woeful electricity-generation capacity.

I think this is an important part of the article. wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by bawomolo(m): 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2008
what expertise do the Iranians have? nigeria shouldn't be moving closer to russia or iran at this point in time
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by madamkoko: 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2008
Unlike China, Nigeria would rather do business with foreigners than thier own. So what expertise do they have ? I don't know but I do know that they are preferred at this point.

the person who chop sha, is the person that help put this contract together. too much money dey naija
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by dave07(m): 3:47pm On Aug 29, 2008
Is it this same Nigerian nation that has been unable so far to use her own safe, naturally endowed and abundant resources of water, gas and sunlight to produce at least 10,000MW of electricity?
Is it the same nation that now wants to partner with Iran for the highly risky nuclear reactors that even Iran and mighty russia have only been able to tame just to get out 1000MW.
Wetin be the problem of our leaders and policy makers, abi should we privatize government too before we begin to get reasonable and common sense decisions and policies
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by adamsy07: 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2008
NIGERIA AS BEEN KNOWN AS A REFUSE DUMP THAT EVEN PAYS U FOR DUMPING REFUSE IN THEIR COUNTRY.
HOW ON EARTH WILL IRAN DO YOU A FAVOR IRAN(PERSIAN THAT SPEAKS FASI).
I WILL TELL YOU TH E TRUTH NOW OUR LEADERS ARE AT IT AGAIN TRYING TO STEAL MONEY IN THE NAME OF NUCLEAR ENERGY.
IRAN GOVERMENT IS TIRED OF THEIR CITIZEN INSULTING THEM FOR NOT LISTENING TO THE UN,AND ARE TIRED OF NOT ENJOYING BENEFICT FROM THE US AND WESTERN COUNTRIES.
AND DON'T FORGET THAT IRAN SPENT ALOT ON THIS RESEARCH AND ARE READY TO LET IT GO FOR THE SAKE OF THEIR CITIZENS BUT ATLEAST THEY NEED PART OF THE MONEY INVESTED ON THAT PROJECT.
SO THEY AVE CALLED ON NIGERIA TO PUT SOME PAY AND BUY THE SHEAT.

WELL I KNOW NIGERIA WILL BE ALERTING TROUBLE IF THEY DO THAT FROM THE WORLD AND THEY WOULD HELP IRAN MAKE SOME MONEY BY BUYING IT,
LET'S WAIT AND SEE.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Reese1: 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2008
I just refuse to believe that the only stake that Iran has in this deal is their generous offer to help Nigeria, trust me, there's something more to this. And with that Alhaminejad's radical way of thinking, I can't help but think it's ominous. I hope not.  

I can't help but think our so-called leaders have just been taken and mugufied to the highest extent. Some big belle fool just signed a deal with more clauses, ifs, buts, and fine prints, that the true ramifications of Iran's true stake in this will be revealed and come bite us in the behind years later.

And like someone else also said before, we lack the discipline when it comes to maintaining the basic resources we have at hand already, now they wanna play with the big boys on the nuclear playground?  undecided
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALERTEFCC(f): 3:54pm On Aug 29, 2008
NUCLEAR PACT? thats not good enough!!!! when they start recruiting suicide bombers please let me in.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by pappy2000: 4:11pm On Aug 29, 2008
i dey afraid oo.iran is under sanctioned by us.nigeria should be careful becos iran is regarded as a state sponsor of terror
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by BluMalam(m): 4:16pm On Aug 29, 2008
madamkoko:

I think this is an important part of the article. wink wink wink

Ditto, trust some people to weed out the benefits and dwell on the "low points". Mostly, its because they don't know JACK about the issue, so they attack evthing else. How convenient.

Reese1:

Whoa, Why Iran though?!?! Let's just assume there's great, honorable intentions all around, but WHY FREAKING IRAN?! Gosh, Nigerian leaders and their judgment, or lack of  

Trust me, very few countries will want to share their nuclear secrets/knowledge with another country, especially Nigeria. (Russia has interest in Irans resources, thats why they are offering assistance, somthin like Shell & Niger delta)

iceland:

iranians are persian and not arab

Blind Ethnicity makes you seem more stupid than a stark illiterate.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Eziachi: 4:19pm On Aug 29, 2008
We will make sure that Biafra get their total freedom before Nigeria get their marriage certificate with Iran. Who will be next? North Korea? You can tell about a man by the type company he keeps.
Long Live Biafra
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by MCUsman(m): 4:20pm On Aug 29, 2008
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Georgia;- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Bolivia :- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With South Africa ;- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Philippines :- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Greece :- No news

Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran;- Big news (Reason is religion sentiment)
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by nigeria13: 4:23pm On Aug 29, 2008
I can see the USA marine in nigeria in the next few days. This is Yar Adua challenge George Bush to his face. Which people really they advice Yar Adua. Na wahala you want put us ,   say tell them say my people were not involve in the decision, they where in  EFCC jail  after  arrest,  na only northerner make the decision. please quickly show them the road to abuja.  (joke)

this is wahala , the man sick  which kind wahala all this adviser they cause,  The USA would put nigeria on a list of bad nation, they would block economy program. Can someone tell them in abuja, they just put us for trouble.  

Why don't you people call yourself taliban. may be you have started to do training too with the taliban,  what were they thinking next you see someone advice them too they can do trainning program with Osama bin ladi dumy dumy dumy people,
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 4:24pm On Aug 29, 2008
The reason it is making news is not religious sentiment.

In fact Nigeria is not the issue here. The country Iran could be offering help to could be Chad, Cameroon or any other African nation.
The offer is only made because Iran knows that it will cause friction throughout the rest of the world and shows that it cannot be told what to do.

Any practical nuclear help to Nigeria will take decades to appear. Iran itself is an amateur at nuclear physics and can't really offer anything to Nigeria at the moment.

This is Iran playing at politics. Nothing more.

As for the US? Any anger will be directed at Iran. Not at Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Eziachi: 4:26pm On Aug 29, 2008
MC Usman:

Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Georgia;- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Bolivia :- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With South Africa ;- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Philippines :- No news
Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Greece :- No news

Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran;- Big news (Reason is religion sentiment)

Another echo of IBB's IOC. Who cares which nation you go to bed with as long as you are on your own. As we had always suspected, when the time comes, that your new partners will be the Taliban warriors in the caves of Afganistan and their leader Bin Laden. No wonder your parasitic leaders has found new places to hide their illgotten money from oil- UAE, Saudi Arabia.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Sacks 174 LASTMA Officials / Delta PDP Suspends Orubebe And 9 Others / Fatai Owoseni Remains Lagos Police Commissioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.