Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran (11285 Views)

Buhari Threatened To Sack Ministers Because Of Extradition Agreement With UAE / South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran / Nigeria Signs Agreement With UAE On Recovery Of Stolen Funds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by bawomolo(m): 4:29pm On Aug 29, 2008
this thread has gone of course
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Aug 29, 2008

to share peaceful nuclear technology with Nigeria, to help Africa's biggest oil producer bolster its woeful electricity-generation capacity.

Blu Malam:

Ditto, trust some people to weed out the benefits and dwell on the "low points". Mostly, its because they don't know JACK about the issue, so they attack evthing else. How convenient.

Trust me, very few countries will want to share their nuclear secrets/knowledge with another country, especially Nigeria. (Russia has interest in Irans resources, thats why they are offering assistance, somthin like Shell & Niger delta)

Blind Ethnicity makes you seem more stupid than a stark illiterate.

Since you know a lot about the issue, do you mind explaining to us what IRAN has to do with benefits of nuclear and technological advancement? I mean isn’t this clearly a case of going to the beggar to beg for money??
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by papadims: 4:34pm On Aug 29, 2008
nigeria1@@:

I can see the USA marine in nigeria in the next few days. This is Yar Adua challenge George Bush to his face. Which people really they advice Yar Adua. Na wahala you want put us ,   say tell them say my people were not involve in the decision, they where in  EFCC jail  after  arrest,  na only northerner make the decision. please quickly show them the road to abuja.  (joke)

this is wahala , the man sick  which kind wahala all this adviser they cause,  The USA would put nigeria on a list of bad nation, they would block economy program. Can someone tell them in abuja, they just put us for trouble.  

Why don't you people call yourself taliban. may be you have started to do training too with the taliban,  what were they thinking
WHY are you so dumb  tongue grin, who told you you can only make bombs, explosives or any disasterous weapons. dont you know you can generate electricity and do some great things that would improve our nation. what else can the govt. do to make you happy.  be happy with yourself and it shall be well with you.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by nigeria13: 4:35pm On Aug 29, 2008
when the minister of energy is a  teacher,  God help us. I am an electrical engineer. so i know. but you don't sign or even visit iran , if you want to be friends with the west. iran is a no go nation,  it is like signing an agreement with the taliban and osama bin ladi. ?? do you people read news in nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by bawomolo(m): 4:39pm On Aug 29, 2008
Since you know a lot about the issue, do you mind explaining to us what IRAN has to do with benefits of nuclear and technological advancement? I mean isn’t this clearly a case of going to the beggar to beg for money??

more like iran trying to sell the equipments they got from pakistan, and russia.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by dave07(m): 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2008
Let's face the issue squarely and put out sentiments and religious bias.

do we realy need nuclear for power generation? - no
can we manage nuclear plants in the country?- no
are nigerians informed enough and better equipped for any nuclear mishap?- no
can the present govt tenure outlast the completion of a nuclear facility in the country?-no
is a nuclear power station construction cost effective compared to our other facilities?- no

so what are we talking about. pls lets drop this unreasonable jabbings and look at the issues, objectively and more  reasonably.

Is that agreement a Nigerian decision in favour of nigerian masses and will it favour the cause of the nigerian nation?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by papadims: 4:52pm On Aug 29, 2008
Kobojunkie:

but there are diffirent levels of beggers. at least despite our irregular power supply we still supply niger and chad with electricity and just last month we agreed to help out soa tome & principale
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 29, 2008
pappy2000:

i dey afraid oo.iran is under sanctioned by us.nigeria should be careful because iran is regarded as a state sponsor of terror

I wonder what on earth naija is doing with those muslim extremist/terrorist. I hope God will help us so we won't dont regret this. sad
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by PapaBrowne(m): 4:58pm On Aug 29, 2008
An Islamic agenda!!!!!!!!!
If that's what Yar'Adua came to achieve, then what a failure!!

Nigeria will move forward, Yar'Adua/Iran or not!!
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by nigeria13: 5:08pm On Aug 29, 2008
It shows Yar adua govt needs international exposure, they lack one.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by papadims: 5:11pm On Aug 29, 2008
dave07:

Let's face the issue squarely and put out sentiments and religious bias.

do we realy need nuclear for power generation? - no
can we manage nuclear plants in the country?- no
are nigerians informed enough and better equipped for any nuclear mishap?- no
can the present govt tenure outlast the completion of a nuclear facility in the country?-no
is a nuclear power station construction cost effective compared to our other facilities?- no

so what are we talking about. please lets drop this unreasonable jabbings and look at the issues, objectively and more  reasonably.

Is that agreement a Nigerian decision in favour of nigerian masses and will it favour the cause of the nigerian nation?

Let me ask you;
do we really need nuclear for power generation? YES, since since our current policies failed to deliver.
can we manage this nuclear plants? YES, we can train qualified candidates for the job.
are we informed and equipped on how to manage mishap? we can be taught and learn.
can the current govt outclass its completion? no, but we can still achieve it if we lay down policies that can encourage public - private partnership on ground.
is it cost effective? yes, because we have the resources to do so.

we should change our mindset, what ever we want to achieve can be achieved with the right attitude. why were all the great nuclear giants of today when they started, they were just like us but today they are reaping the fruits. we must sacrifice to make progress.
Kunlamide:

I wonder what on earth naija is doing with those muslim extremist/terrorist. I hope God will help us so we won't don't regret this. sad
this has nothing to do with religion/terrorism.  
PapaBrowne:

An Islamic agenda!!!!!!!!!
If that's what Yar'Adua came to achieve, then what a failure!!

Nigeria will move forward, Yar'Adua/Iran or not!!

PLEASE SHUT UP, that very wrong of you, why cant you see the benefit. A right thinking person would have started calculating on how he can use this oppurtunity to better his life and that of the country. ISLAMIC AGENDA, you are not serious.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by saintzilex: 5:17pm On Aug 29, 2008
bawomolo:

this thread has gone of course
Blu Malam u are right.I trust ur judgement.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 5:18pm On Aug 29, 2008
Yar'Adua would be an idiot to turn down the Iranian offer.

With the energy crisis in Nigeria as it is, he now has a bargaining chip to secure help from the West on better terms for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

With the energy crisis in Nigeria as it is, he now has a bargaining chip to secure help from the West on better terms for Nigeria.

ROFLMAO!!! chai!!! and we wonder why we keep getting the same old crap!!

What is with this perceived need to cut off our own heads so the WEST can notice us? Are we insane? What next? Should we sign an oil deal with Zimbabwe so the WEST can give us more AID?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by TheSly: 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

He is not turning it town.
They had already signed M.O.u.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by bashali: 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2008
THIS IS GOOD NEWS, YAR ADUA IS A TRUE SON OF THE NORTH. AMERICA IS A BARAWO NATION. WE SHOULD EVEN SIGN AGREEMENT WITH OSAMA BIN LADI TO COME AND HELP US . WE WOULD SHOW THE AMERICA AND KILL THEM ALL ON THE GROUND OF AREWA. LONG LIVE THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF AREWA,

SHAME ON YOU AMERICA. AREWA WOULD KILL YOU PEOPLE WITH THE NUCLEAR POWER WHEN WE GET OUR HAND ON IT. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YAR ADUA SHOOT BUSH IN THE FACE,

LONG LIVE THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF AREWA,
NOW OUR PEOPLE ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING FIGHTING THE AMERICA.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by MCUsman(m): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2008
Kunlamide:

I wonder what on earth naija is doing with those muslim extremist/terrorist. I hope God will help us so we won't don't regret this. sad

Iran: History, Geography, Government, and Culture — Infoplease.comInformation on Iran — geography, history, politics, government, economy, , Major trading partners: Japan, China, Italy, South Korea, Turkey, Netherlands, , [/b]www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107640.html - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

European Commission - External Trade - Trade [b]IssuesThe EU is Iran's largest trading partner
. However, the ongoing question of , The EU is the first trade partner of Iran, accounting for almost a third of ,
ec.europa.eu/trade/issues/bilateral/countries/iran/index_en.htm - 24k - Cached - Similar pages.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 5:43pm On Aug 29, 2008
What is with this perceived need to cut off our own heads so the WEST can notice us? Are we insane? What next? Should we sign an oil deal with Zimbabwe so the WEST can give us more AID?

It's not AID and it's not a desire to be noticed on Nigeria's part. It's good old fashioned business. You don't turn down a good offer if you can make something out of it.
Sure, Iran is not the most popular of countries but business is business.

Look at the recent UK offer for oil security. Do you think that would have come cheap? Nigeria would have paid a hefty price. Would that have been relying on Western aid? Or (as is far more likely) would it have resulted in Nigeria getting screwed?

I don't believe this deal with Iran is going to weaken Nigeria's standing with the West. Unless things go crazy with the North, the West knows that Nigeria is a partner not an enemy.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by bawomolo(m): 5:49pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

It's not AID and it's not a desire to be noticed on Nigeria's part. It's good old fashioned business. You don't turn down a good offer if you can make something out of it.

Look at the recent UK offer for oil security. Do you think that would have come cheap? Nigeria would have paid a hefty price. Would that have been relying on Western aid? Or (as is far more likely) would it have resulted in Nigeria getting screwed?

I don't believe this deal with Iran is going to weaken Nigeria's standing with the West. Unless things go crazy with the North, the West knows that Nigeria is a partner not an enemy.

how good of an offer is it?? Iran is not the great nuclear technology partner given how very slow it's enrichment program is. this is one of those MOU that is abandoned for "technical reasons" down the road.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Superego: 5:53pm On Aug 29, 2008
Smart move by Nigeria. I mean this is the best move I would ever have thought I would live to see.

Unless Nigeria stands up and tells the world we need N tech, no other technology can ever solve our energy crises, after all our population is about half US population and they have over 25 N reactors in addition to so many methods to generate power.

This great move either lets us start building N plants, safe style as Iran too is a safe builder, in true recognition of Islam they are totally against the N Bomb, or, it lets the US and other M fuckers realize we are in need and getting it so they will promise us bribe to stop it of, safe hard water power technology plants as they offered Iran and our problem would be solved.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 5:57pm On Aug 29, 2008
@bawomolo

If it's an offer that does not cost Nigeria then it can only be a good one can it not?

In all probability it will not lead to Nigeria obtaining nuclear energy from Iran. But it may kickstart Western interest in supplying know how and technological help. Again, that is not aid. It is merely the way the business world works.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 5:59pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

What has Nigeria to gain from a country that barely has the technology to keep its own programs running effectively? I am not sure you understand how you contradict yourself in your own post. You claim it is not about the west but in another breath you claim Nigeria needs to stand up for the best.

Again, I say, isn’t this a case of a beggar begging another beggar for money to buy food? What has Iran to offer Nigeria that Nigeria can not itself go to the main source for it’s own share?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by bawomolo(m): 6:00pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

@bawomolo

If it's an offer that does not cost Nigeria then it can only be a good one can it not?

In all probability it will not lead to Nigeria obtaining nuclear energy from Iran. But it may kickstart Western interest in supplying know how and technological help. Again, that is not aid. It is merely the way the business world works.

cheap particle usually doesn't produce good results.

are u saying this offer is just a way to get the west's attention and it isn't serious at all??
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 6:01pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

@bawomolo

Yet again, the WESTERN link, by you and no one else. So Nigeria should make silly, next to meaningless deals to get Western Interest? What is with this need to CUT OFF OUR HEAD so the west can NOTICE us? I ask you again cause you seem to believe the west needs to be involved in this no matter what. It is not the way of business, I am sorry. There are many countries out there who get business done the right way, not this way.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 6:10pm On Aug 29, 2008
@Kobojunkie.
No contradiction. My claim is that the Iranaians are probably making the offer to rile the West. Nigeria gaining from the West would merely be something that happens on the sideline. Yes, the West will be involved whatever. This is nuclear power we're talking about here. The West sees itself as the appointed policeman regarding this energy source. Or do you honestly think that Nigeria could just go ahead and build a nuclear power station without Western help or involvement and rely solely on Iran?
Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the fact that it is Iran which has made this offer - the Great Enemy of the US and Freedom. It deals internationally with many Western countries. Granted this is nuclear know-how but you can guarantee that Nigeria won't be just jumping in head first without looking at how this affects it's relations with the West.
You say it's not the way to do business? Morally I might agree with you, but when have morals ever played a part in business?

As for it being a "worthless deal"? As we don't even know the specifics of the offer yet, I'd say that is too early to tell.

@bawomolo. I would say that the offer is serious but also made more to grab the West's attention.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by johnpedro: 6:15pm On Aug 29, 2008
where are we going in this country,our leaders dey hear wats happening in Iran?which can country b this?IRAN of all country!we don die for US and British hands.abeg am innocent and my children to come are innocent tooo
bad people!PDP-papa decive pigin una don start again Yardua na real malam
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 6:15pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

@Kobojunkie.
No contradiction. My claim is that the Iranaians are probably making the offer to rile the West. Nigeria gaining from the West would merely be something that happens on the sideline. Yes, the West will be involved whatever. This is nuclear power we're talking about here. The West sees itself as the appointed policeman regarding this energy source. Or do you honestly think that Nigeria could just go ahead and build a nuclear power station without Western help or involvement and rely solely on Iran?

Lo and behold, your true understanding of the issue comes out. So you are simply anti-WESt and desperate to link this to the WEST at all cost. That I now understand, but as a Nigeria, can I ask that you put your issues with the WEST to the side for a second and think about what even your own posts mean at this point.

Based on what you have said so far, it is invariably meaningful and to the benefit of the average Nigerian living in the streets of Nigeria for Nigeria to allow itself to be used as a pawn in this game? Are you saying that even though we are most likely to gain nothing substantial from this deal with Iran, because Iran is probably using us to play up on the “WEST”, it is a good deal? Are you for real?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALEXman007: 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2008
bawomolo:

Bawolo, while you might probably think that any offer made by the west or anybody for that matter cannot cost Nigeria anything because on the surface it looks like an offer without strings attached, you need to be reminded that in the world of business or international politics nothing goes for nothing. and in fact, every body in business or government wants to get atleast his/her moneyworth for anything given . that is, if not more.

America cannot give anything they can have paid back with huge profits if you attract their interest. It's not a matter for sentiment or philanthropy, it is a matter of interest and profit. That's how capitalism works.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by dave07(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2008
@papa_dims
do we really need nuclear for power generation? YES, since since our current policies failed to deliver.
It is an indisputable fact that Nigeria has abundant gas reserve, part of which are being wasted in gas flaring but which ought to be channeled into useful venture like electricity generation. ever wondered how mobil, chevron, etc are so self sufficient in Electricity generation and supply for their businesses? the raw material for electricity is abundant here in Nigeria.

There is a  long standing study which shows tha the mambilla fall in Plateau can conveniently produce 10000MW but the IBB went on then to build a 600MW hydro station in shiroro.

Solar resources in nigeria far outweighs what is obtainable in most part of the west where solar energy is employed to give Electicity.
So I still insist That No we do not require niuclear for our electricity generation

can we manage this nuclear plants? YES, we can train qualified candidates for the job.
how many people have been trained so far in modern day electricity generation, transmission and distribution. just look at what is obtainable in present day engineering works and you will be appalled by the old and out-dated equipment and staff we have in our system compared to other nations. how far has the local content policy in the oil sector gone? major works are still being done by expatriates. those you even refer to as being 'qualified' ultimately end up unemployed.

are we informed and equipped on how to manage mishap? we can be taught and learn.
who will do the teaching and the learning. NOA, NTA or key government agencies who themselves do not realy understand anything related to this.

on policies, is it when we have failed to encourage private-public partnership in previous and present attempts at revamping the power sector with the knowledge of known variables (gas, water, sunlight), that we will now get our policy right with unknown and controversial variable(nuclear)?
I am not against change, but I feel we must pursue needed changes more truthfully. The Nuclear thing is not religious, nor etnic but another misinformed decision steathly brought up to create another drainpipe for wasteful venture all at the expense of tax payers and oil
producing
polluted states
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by shawn123: 6:20pm On Aug 29, 2008
iceland:

Well,I don't trust those arabians popularly known as white hausa.They are not trustworthy.They could be looking for a way to conceal their nuclear weapons in Nigeria.Well it takes a black hausa to sign a deal with a white hausa.they are "MOLAS" in general.

Bros nawa for you sef, as you no come trust them i sure say if them give you ticket go Dubai you no go accept am, hisss
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by shawn123: 6:23pm On Aug 29, 2008
At this point, i think i would rather do buisness with the Iranians, cos i doubt if America or the U.K give a hutt about Africa after all its not the arabians that are buying south south fuel abi?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by airegin: 6:28pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

@bawomolo

I agree with you backstage.

We all know the west definitely does not want specific partnership between Nigeria, Iran or Venezuela. The west believes any energy partnership will only cause one thing, “spike in the price of oil”. And we all know what that will do to western economy. For that to happen, they will rather compromise and negotiate a better deal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG Closes Land Borders Till Sunday For Governorship Elections / Sheriff Shuts PDP Youths Out Of Convention As They Cry Foul / Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.