Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium (16748 Views)

Discussion Forum For Mathematicians, Statisticians And Actuarial Scientists. / Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum / Mathematicians & Statisticians Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by cessienboy(m): 6:36pm On Nov 07, 2011
we have a functional body for statistician/mathematician in nigerian, join the body and lay the complaints there for a start. i believe nigeria will be driven to greater height by the use of our knowlege.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by yamakuza: 12:24am On Jan 25, 2012
Happy New Year!

Where is everyone?

Please come and mark register.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 28, 2012
for freelance data analysts - log data analysis jobs on our portal via www.data-ville.com/support with a response within 24hrs!
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by ishmael(m): 11:21am On Feb 01, 2012
cessienboy:

we have a functional body for statistician/mathematician in nigerian, join the body and lay the complaints there for a start. i believe nigeria will be driven to greater height by the use of our knowlege.
Point of correction. There is a stats association in nigeria but it is not functional. That is why the stat-gen of the federation is an economist and not a statistician. Can an economist be appointed as acct-gen of the federation? Never, ICAN members will kick against it.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by tjmadrid: 2:55pm On Feb 02, 2012
I wonder ooooooooooooooooo. and Nigerians should know that Statisticians are very important in all aspect of our life ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by ORGuru: 3:46am On Feb 20, 2012
locked!
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by ORGuru: 1:58pm On Mar 07, 2012
locked!
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by yamakuza: 6:50pm On Mar 07, 2012
www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=862978;sa=showPosts

^ OR_Guru, this spambot is just swallowing your very informative posts.

Can you try posting in shorter paragraphs?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by AjanleKoko: 10:51am On Mar 08, 2012
^^
Very informative, and tragic (after a fashion) post!

I wonder when Nigerians will wake up and start applying some intelligence rather than blind force trauma to our daily economic activities. Sometimes, the sporting words 'grind out a result' seems to point to what we do in Nigeria.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Tczar(m): 1:50am On Mar 20, 2012
It's really nice,and gr8 dt i'm seein dz on nairaland.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by ishmael(m): 4:34pm On May 13, 2012
Is there anything new in mathematics or statistics that we need to know? I mean any breakthrough or new technique in maths or stats? Pls share it with us.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by EnterPRO: 8:42pm On May 16, 2012
Please how does Game Theory and Probability help in predicting price movements?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Dochido(m): 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2012
ishmael: yes oo, they dont make use of O.R. Analysts and Statisticians in industries and companies in nigeria, thats why things are not moving well. You see companies folding up everyday. Nigerian managers are not yet aware of the dangers of not employing and using O.R. Analysts and Statisticians in the smooth running and operations of their companies/industries. I want to believe that is the reason why most Nigerian industries/companies are folding up.
it is true
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by violent(m): 6:27pm On Oct 06, 2012
EnterPRO:
Please how does Game Theory and Probability help in predicting price movements?

Also, if you are good at forecasting, do join us on this thread

www.nairaland.com/enterpro/posts

Thanks in advance.

Nothing can predict price movements in the short term, in the long term, this may only be possible in conventional markets like commodities....definitely not in foreign exchange where correlations between the asset classes you are trading are highly varied!

It's always heart rending to watch people consistently lose their money this way by forcing some strong maths on weak but highly efficient markets hoping some sweet fast bang on way to make money lies therein!!

I once had an argument with some Phd maths student who claimed to have superior abilities to accurately forecast market volatility using a mixture of M-GARCH and volume of traded put options. It wasn't long before he came to realize what lessons many have learnt already that one who attempts to beat the market with numbers and equations will always end up falling behind the market.

1 Like

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2012
dataville: for
freelance data analysts - log data analysis jobs on our portal via
www.data-ville.com/support with a response within 24hrs!

please what is dataville all about? i read industrial mathematics, would really love to know what is in it for me because i believe i can function anywhere with it.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 8:38pm On Aug 04, 2013
Hello guys,pls what Statistical applications and packages do a statistician to be needs to be familiar with?
i already know,R,S+,SPSS
I need this becos i want to develop myself for the job market(in the future),thankss.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 12:30am On Aug 06, 2013
The truth is that with only a degree in maths or stat, all you possess is an analytical skill, which degree holders in economics,finance,mgt sciences and engineering also have and even more. You guys need to help yourselves with additional skills.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 7:21am On Aug 06, 2013
Cajetan speaks: The truth is that with only a degree in maths or stat, all you possess is an analytical skill, which degree holders in economics,finance,mgt sciences and engineering also have and even more. You guys need to help yourselves with additional skills.
Numero uuuno: Hello guys,pls what Statistical applications and packages do a statistician to be needs to be familiar with?
i already know,R,S+,SPSS
I need this becos i want to develop myself for the job market(in the future),thankss.
Cajetan speaks: The truth is that with only a degree in maths or stat, all you possess is an analytical skill, which degree holders in economics,finance,mgt sciences and engineering also have and even more. You guys need to help yourselves with additional skills.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 7:16pm On Aug 07, 2013
[quote author=Numero uuuno][/quote] you're very ignorant about the skills and work of statisticians. Can an economist or engineer provide any support in medical and pharmaceutical experiments and researches? Try and find out what statisticians really do.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 7:21pm On Aug 07, 2013
[quote author=Numero uuuno][/quote] you're very ignorant about the skills and work of statisticians. Be honest with urself, can an economist, financial analyst or engineer provide any support in medical and pharmaceutical experiments and researches? Just one out of many. Try and find out what statisticians really do.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 10:03pm On Aug 07, 2013
zebra: you're very ignorant about the skills and work of statisticians. Can an economist or engineer provide any support in medical and pharmaceutical experiments and researches? Try and find out what statisticians really do.
zebra: you're very ignorant about the skills and work of statisticians. Be honest with urself, can an economist, financial analyst or engineer provide any support in medical and pharmaceutical experiments and researches? Just one out of many. Try and find out what statisticians really do.
zebra: you're very ignorant about the skills and work of statisticians. Can an economist or engineer provide any support in medical and pharmaceutical experiments and researches? Try and find out what statisticians really do.
Hello sir,what are you talking about?
i cant understand the points you are driving at?
Pls clarify cos i did not mention pharmaceutical,economist,engineer and medical in ♍Ɣ post,thankss.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 6:10am On Aug 08, 2013
Numero uuuno: Hello sir,what are you talking about?
i cant understand the points you are driving at?
Pls clarify cos i did not mention pharmaceutical,economist,engineer and medical in ♍Ɣ post,thankss.
meant for @cajetan speaks
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 6:18am On Aug 08, 2013
@ cajetan speaks: it means you're very ignorant about the skills and work of statisticians. Be honest with urself, can an economist, financial analyst or engineer provide any support in medical and pharmaceutical experiments and researches? Such research and experimental team must include a Statistician. Try and find out what statisticians really do. I just gave u one out of numerous places that statisticians are needed that other professionals with math skills can't fit in.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 6:57am On Aug 08, 2013
zebra: meant for @cajetan speaks
okay
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by marcangelo(m): 8:09pm On Aug 08, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by marcangelo(m): 8:09pm On Aug 08, 2013
All i can say is hmmmmmmmm..
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 4:37am On Aug 09, 2013
Numero uuuno: Hello guys,pls what Statistical applications and packages do a statistician to be needs to be familiar with?
i already know,R,S+,SPSS
You are on course my brother. R, S-PLUS, and SPSS are good stats packages. Don't just be familiar with them, work with them. Do analysis with them and interpret outputs. U can keep urself busy by working freelance for little or no pay helping people to do data analysis in their research works. That's how most of us started. Good luck!
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 7:28am On Aug 09, 2013
zebra: You are on course my brother. R, S-PLUS, and SPSS are good stats packages. Don't just be familiar with them, work with them. Do analysis with them and interpret outputs. U can keep urself busy by working freelance for little or no pay helping people to do data analysis in their research works. That's how most of us started. Good luck!
ok, thankss for your opinion.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 9:01am On Aug 09, 2013
Numero uuuno: ok, thankss for your opinion.
welcome! Where are u based? If u're in a town where there is a university offering postgraduate programs, then the postgraduate students are ur potential clients. But u really need to know a lot about other disciplines to be able to cope especially finance, management, economics, sociology, pol science, biological sciences, etc. For the social sciences like sociology and pol science, u would be doing more of analyzing questionnaires, whìle for finance and management u would be doing more of modeling. For the biological sciences u would be doing modeling and experimental designs. Just be focus and learn how to analyze all kinds of data, with time ur clients would be marketing companies, R and D departments of major industries, QC departments of industries, and even government ministries. U can be self-employed as a good statistician. One other thing, if u're very good in those stats packages u mentioned, u could also be a trainer, training others that want to learn. U could also train statistical staff of government ministries. The sky is ur starting point.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 09, 2013
zebra: @ cajetan speaks: it means you're very ignorant about the skills and work of statisticians. Be honest with urself, can an economist, financial analyst or engineer provide any support in medical and pharmaceutical experiments and researches? Such research and experimental team must include a Statistician. Try and find out what statisticians really do. I just gave u one out of numerous places that statisticians are needed that other professionals with math skills can't fit in.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 11:10am On Aug 09, 2013
zebra: welcome! Where are u based? If u're in a town where there is a university offering postgraduate programs, then the postgraduate students are ur potential clients. But u really need to know a lot about other disciplines to be able to cope especially finance, management, economics, sociology, pol science, biological sciences, etc. For the social sciences like sociology and pol science, u would be doing more of analyzing questionnaires, whìle for finance and management u would be doing more of modeling. For the biological sciences u would be doing modeling and experimental designs. Just be focus and learn how to analyze all kinds of data, with time ur clients would be marketing companies, R and D departments of major industries, QC departments of industries, and even government ministries. U can be self-employed as a good statistician. One other thing, if u're very good in those stats packages u mentioned, u could also be a trainer, training others that want to learn. U could also train statistical staff of government ministries. The sky is ur starting point.
thank you sir!
I'm really enlightened with your post,I'm just waiting to receive ♍Ɣ B.Sc next year,so that i can kick-start all ♍Ɣ plans!
I'm based in town(Ogun state),i will find out about the post graduate analysis stuffs when we resume from ASUU strike.
i really appreciate your inputs,God bless you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 8 accounting software/package / How Do You Tackle A Female Colleague At Work Who's Trying To Control You? / Horrible Bosses: What Is Your Story?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.