Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Iru - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Iru (14866 Views)

Vegetable soup with locust beans (efo Riro with Iru) / How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? / What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iru by Leilah(f): 2:22am On Sep 01, 2008
hi, is iru specific to yoruba tribe or do other tribes use it in their egusi
Re: Iru by tpia: 2:36am On Sep 01, 2008
Its not specific to Yorubas.

The other type I know of, is eaten in the midwestern part of Nigeria (non-Yoruba). Its very long, stripped and thin, not small and round like the Yoruba one, and has a milder taste.
Re: Iru by Mustay(m): 6:07pm On Sep 01, 2008
is this not the IRU that has one odd smell/
Re: Iru by titilaelae(f): 2:39pm On Sep 02, 2008
Mustay:

is this not the IRU that has one odd smell/

Odd Smell when its raw but that becomes a fantastic aroma when in soup. kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Iru by spikedcylinder: 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2008
Iru=Yoruba
Ogirri=Igbo
Dawadawa=Hausa.

It is used in several parts of Nigeria o.

1 Like

Re: Iru by MyPeace(f): 4:47pm On Sep 02, 2008
spikedcylinder:

Iru=Yoruba
Ogirri=Igbo
Dawadawa=Hausa.

It is used in several parts of Nigeria o.

ogiri and dawadawa are sure not iru. though they are local seasonings, but surely different in look, texture and taste,

3 Likes

Re: Iru by Leilah(f): 9:05pm On Sep 03, 2008
Alright, thats interesting. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Iru by ikamefa(f): 10:28pm On Sep 03, 2008
i love, love ,love , it

its smells bad, but once it lands inside a pot of ogbono or ewedu or efo riro

its pure heaven

hummmmmm yum! kiss

3 Likes

Re: Iru by omosor: 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2008
forget that wait until you try Garri and salad cream kiss
Re: Iru by skfa1: 10:34pm On Sep 03, 2008
ikamefa:

i love, love ,love , it

its smells bad, but once it lands inside a pot of ogbono or ewedu or efo riro

its pure heaven

hummmmmm yum! kiss

Kai see as you land everything together, you go like iru o cool grin
Re: Iru by spikedcylinder: 9:58am On Sep 04, 2008
omosor:

forget that wait until you try Garri and salad cream kiss

Freak! cheesy cheesy
Re: Iru by AmakaOne(f): 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2008
MyPeace:

ogiri and dawadawa are sure not iru.  though they are local seasonings, but surely different in look, texture and taste,

iru/ dawadawa is fermented locust bean seed, ogiri is fermented sesame seed

1 Share

Re: Iru by lami4life(f): 11:41am On Sep 05, 2008
I LOOOOOOOVE Iru! I particularly like it in ofada stew. Can't wait to have lunch smiley

1 Like

Re: Iru by Leilah(f): 8:05pm On Sep 05, 2008
cool i didnt know you could out that in your stew. i thought that was only for soup. also, do you have to blend it into a paste or can you just put it in as you find it??
Re: Iru by Flakybaby(f): 3:52pm On Sep 06, 2008
Leilah:

cool i didnt know you could out that in your stew. i thought that was only for soup. also, do you have to blend it into a paste or can you just put it in as you find it??

Wash it then add it into the stew or soup, there is no need making it into paste.
Re: Iru by lami4life(f): 10:49am On Sep 08, 2008
Flakybaby:

Wash it then add it into the stew or soup, there is no need making it into paste.

True. I personally don't blend and enjoy it better when the pepper is partially mashed or blended. Try adding roasted catfish to it and u'll practically forget your name!

1 Like

Re: Iru by MrCrackles(m): 10:51am On Sep 08, 2008
i miss IRU!!! embarassed

where can i get it in the UK?anywhere i am ready to track that yummy locust bean thingy down! grin
Re: Iru by lami4life(f): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2008
Send me 300pounds & i'll send by UPS, pronto. wink
Re: Iru by MrCrackles(m): 11:50am On Sep 08, 2008
lami4life:

Send me 300pounds & i'll send by UPS, pronto. wink

haba!!!

u wan kill me?

Gordon Brown take im own comot, u sef wan bleed me dry!

chill naw cheesy
Re: Iru by lami4life(f): 2:27pm On Sep 08, 2008
Was just trying to help undecided Tot u were desperate grin
Re: Iru by follypimpi(m): 8:04pm On Sep 08, 2008
Brash!:

i miss IRU!!! embarassed

where can i get it in the UK?anywhere i am ready to track that yummy locust bean thingy down! grin

U can get it in peckham rye lane,thats where i get mine from.
Re: Iru by tpiah: 4:21pm On May 13, 2009
Locust beans are gotten from the pods of the Carob tree and also have other uses besides being a Nigerian spice.

A traditional food plant in Africa, this little-known fruit may have the potential to improve nutrition, boost food security, foster rural development and support sustainable landcare.

History

Ceratonia siliqua, the scientific name of the carob tree, derives from the Greek kerátiοn (κεράτιον), “fruit of the carob” (from keras [κέρας] "horn"wink, and Latin siliqua "pod, carob." The term "carat", the unit by which diamond weight is measured, is also derived from the Greek word kerátiοn (κεράτιον), alluding to an ancient practice of people in the Middle East weighing gold and gemstones against the seeds of the carob tree[citation needed]. The system was eventually standardized and one carat was fixed at 0.2 grams.

In late Roman and early Byzantine times the pure gold coin known as the solidus weighed 24 carat seeds (about 4.5 grams). As a result, the carat also became a measure of purity for gold. Thus 24 carat gold means 100% pure, 12 carat gold means the alloy contains 50% gold, etc.

Subsistence on carob pods is mentioned in the Talmud: Berakhot reports that Rabbi Haninah subsisted on carob pods. It is probably also mentioned in the New Testament, in which Matthew 3:4 reports that John the Baptist subsisted on "locusts and wild honey"; the Greek word translated "locusts" may refer to carob pods, rather than to grasshoppers.

Traditional uses

Carob was eaten in Ancient Egypt. It was also a common sweetener and was used in the hieroglyph for "sweet" (nedjem). Dried carob fruit is traditionally eaten on the Jewish holiday of Tu Bishvat. Carob juice drinks are traditionally drunk during the Islamic month of Ramadan.

Carob pods were an important source of sugar before sugarcane and sugar beets became widely available.

Modern uses

Carob, dried or roasted and have a slightly sweet taste resembling chocolate, in powder or chip form, is used as an ingredient in cakes and cookies. Carob is sometimes used as a substitute for chocolate. The seeds, also known as locust beans, are used as animal feed. They are also the source of locust bean gum, a thickening agent used in numerous processed foods. In Egypt, carobs are consumed as a snack. Crushed pods are used to make a refreshing drink. Compotes and liqueurs are made from carob in Malta, Portugal, Spain and Sicily. Carob has proven effective in relieving diarrhea in infants.

Carob has also been used as a non-toxic alternative to chocolate in dog treats as the theobromine in chocolate is toxic to most dogs.

http://www.answers.com/topic/carob-tree-1

Re: Iru by mamag3: 7:51pm On Aug 03, 2009
What the hell is iru?
Re: Iru by realadesco(m): 8:37pm On May 25, 2015
MrCrackles:
i miss IRU!!! embarassed

if u want I can be ur supplier
Re: Iru by udysweet(f): 4:31pm On May 27, 2015
The Etsakos(smwer in Edo) state) also use it as a seasoning. Its their own form of maggi o,lol. I remeba I used to put it a lot in my soups and palm oil stew,by then I wld hav eaten half of it,loool! There was a day I ate so much,raw,frm d one I was to bring bak to lag during hols frm sch(went to auchipoly). Gosh u needed to see me dat day. D smell was oozing out of my pores sef,if I belch iru smell,fart iru smell,pee iru smell,poo iru smell. Infact I was worried d pesn dat sat next to me cld smell it on my body,lmao! I stilll use here in lag wen I want to mak efo riro occasionally or evn palm oil stew but trust me its not lik d type I see dem mak in auchi or agbede village jo,dats why am not so keen on it again

1 Like

Re: Iru by Nobody: 7:56am On May 28, 2015
Kai....I love iru

Iru in efo riro
Iru in ofada stew
Iru in ewedu
Iru in ekuru stew
Iru in egusi soup ......
Re: Iru by organicfoods(m): 7:19am On Feb 22, 2016
debolly:
Kai....I love iru

Iru in efo riro
Iru in ofada stew
Iru in ewedu
Iru in ekuru stew
Iru in egusi soup ......
If you combine iru and ogiri with fried okra in catfish and stock fish friendly soup wrapped in palm oil that you intend to attack with hot fufu or kpukpuru.. You will know... You will know you can't afford to play with okra anymore when Iru or ogiri is mentioned.
Re: Iru by Yuanadoo(f): 8:57pm On Sep 20, 2018
[quote author=tpiah post=3862714]Locust beans are gotten from the pods of the Carob tree and also have other uses besides being a Nigerian spice.

This is what is called locust beans, pls don't confused your self

Re: Iru by Yuanadoo(f): 9:46pm On Sep 20, 2018
The West African locust looks nothing like what Westerners might consider a vegetable plant to be. It is a tree. A true Jack-and-the-beanstalk kind of crop, it is indeed related to beans, albeit distantly. It often grows more than 20 meters tall, and people harvest all the pods they can get, sometimes climbing all the way to the top.

Outsiders might dismiss this as a tall tale, but they’d be wrong. Locust combines in a single species Africa’s two greatest needs: food and tree cover. More locusts mean more food and more trees, which add up to more hope for a better continent.

Botanists named this plant genus Parkia in honor of Mungo Park, one of the first Europeans to record it. This intrepid Scottish surgeon-naturalist, who drown in distress attempting to unravel the course of the Niger River, would even now be hardly displeased with the honor. Two centuries on, his namesake plant still plays a vital role in the village and nomadic life of rural peoples living throughout the northern and western savanna regions.

Locust beans are attractive savanna trees, with dramatically spreading crowns and clusters of globular bright red flowers dangling like holiday decorations on long stalks. And they produce many benefits.

For one thing, they produce fruit. Numerous large pods, up to as long as your forearm and wider than your thumb, emerge all over the spreading crown, dangling like the fingers of a green or brown giant. Inside each pod is a yellow or orange dryish pulp. People like it, and no wonder: it can be half sugar and very sweet to the taste, almost like a desert. This mealy delight can make a useful baby food but for many children it may be the main—if not the only—dish, depending on what is left in the family’s granary. It is also made into colorful and refreshing drinks. And it is dried down into a white or yellowish powder that can be stored for later use, at which time it is commonly sprinkled over rice or meat.

But sugary pulp is not this tree’s main gift. Instead, it is the seeds enclosed within it that are the most prized product. These are a regular part of people’s diet and, throughout much of West Africa, they also turn into lifesavers in times of famine. They contain about 30 percent protein, 20 percent fat, 12 percent sugar, 15 percent starch, and 12 percent fiber, as well
Page 208
Suggested Citation:"11 Locust Bean." National Research Council. 2006. Lost Crops of Africa: Volume II: Vegetables. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi: 10.17226/11763.
Re: Iru by nuristle(f): 7:05am On Nov 25, 2018
We sell stonefree, dirtfree and smellfree locust beans.

(1) (Reply)

"There Is No Evidence"-Minister Of Health Reacts To Reports Of Plastic Rice.PICS / Vegetable soup with locust beans (efo Riro with Iru) / Government Warns Residents On Poisonous Ponmo In Lagos Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.