Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,331 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? (4039 Views)

Should I Quit My Present Job For A Federal Government Job? / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / Should I Quit My Job Now And Get Over N8m Payoff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by extype: 3:10pm On Sep 01, 2008
I AM A 2-1 MECHANICAL ENGR PRESENTLY WORKING IN THE BANK AS A TELLER.I AV BIN WOKING FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS NOW. I WANT TO REGIGN NEXT YEAR AND TRAVEL TO UK FOR MY MASTERS.BUT MY FAMILY KEEP TELLING ME NOT TO THAT A BIRD IN HAND IS WORTH 2 IN THE BUSH.THAT I SHOULD JUST CONTINUE IN THE BANK SINCE JOBS ARE NOT SO EASY TO GET EVEN WITH A MASTERS.PLEASE ADVISE ME.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by Moyola(f): 3:17pm On Sep 01, 2008
Indeed, a bird in hand is worth 2 in d bush.

But IMO, having your masters will getchu a better paid job either in Nigeria or UK.

Go for it, it might not seem easy, but it's sure gonna worth it @ d end!!

gdluck!! wink
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by kachii(m): 6:27pm On Sep 01, 2008
my dear I am a banker too .And I am thinking of resigning too and going for my masters in the u.k
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by kachii(m): 6:32pm On Sep 01, 2008
PLS I need help on schools that offer m.sc in investment bank and the admission procedures
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by ayomicin: 5:28pm On Sep 10, 2008
anyway,a bird in hand is worth 2in d bush,but a degree in the uk is better.i prefer u go 4 uk degree,u will eventually come back better.u know nigeria we worship certificate not to talk of international certificate.tanx
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by extype: 8:04pm On Sep 10, 2008
am getting more infuriated knowing am being used and highly underutilised.as an engineer that i am trained to be,i should be doing somtin more challenging and innovative ,rather am made to count and pay people money 'ow do u engineers woking in the bank cope'
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by Sagamite(m): 8:04pm On Sep 10, 2008
Before I can provide you with any advice, I would need to understand what your career aspirations are.

What are your plans in the next 3 years and in the next 10 years?

What do you want to do a Masters in?

Which university did you get your 2.1 in?

Where do you think your key soft and hard skills lie?

Which universities in the UK do you have in mind?
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by A40(m): 12:22am On Sep 19, 2008
@poster of topic
I dont think its a bad decision for you to make in the long-run its definitely going to pay off in the end how much longer do you want to be a bank teller anyway? what job security and career fulfillment do you even hope to attain in that bank sef?
If you have gotten a good school then that would be a very smart move.Go do your Masters cool
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by Pittbaby(f): 9:35pm On Sep 19, 2008
Success is not easy ,  you fight for it and take risks for it . Ask any successful man he did not achieve it by being complacent. Go get your degree , stay focused while you are there and make sure you have a plan. In terms of information on Investment banking degrees . Go to the British council , to do your research .

The difference between a dreamer and a do'er is the doing
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by shyvirgo(f): 11:33pm On Sep 19, 2008
before you think of resigning, have you contacted a school? if you have, do you fulfill the admission requirements? do you have the funds? sorted out your visa? it's not that straight forward as it might seem. i don't want to discourage you but there are a lot of things to think about. anyway, in whatever decision you make, i wish you the best.
p.s. your folks are right, only God knows how many masters degree holders don't have jobs and for those that do, there isn't any job satisfaction.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by neduogu(m): 7:04am On Sep 21, 2008
Sagamite:

Before I can provide you with any advice, I would need to understand what your career aspirations are.

What are your plans in the next 3 years and in the next 10 years?

What do you want to do a Masters in?

Which university did you get your 2.1 in?

Where do you think your key soft and hard skills lie?

Which universities in the UK do you have in mind?

too many questions so irrelevant. i think what the young man needs is advice whether or not to go on with his plans of getting quality education in the UK so if you ask me it is a good step in the right direction. so young man go and achieve your dreams and i tell you naija adore oversea certificate that is if you no even get job while you dey for uk
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by kokorunna(m): 10:40am On Sep 22, 2008
Hello,

Before you resign there is alot of things you need to consider, I will just outline a few.

Which university will you be attending and what course are you planning to do, a word of advice when applying for a master program in the UK try and attend a recognised university not a affiliate college linked to a university.
Secondly if you are doing planning on doing a masters degree, you are ONLY supposed to work 20 hours. If caught you will be deported back, am not scaring you but just an advice
What do you intend to do after

If you need more advice contact kokorunna@yahoo.com

wwww.moneysaversforum.com
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by joichi: 4:38pm On Sep 26, 2008
@ Poster,
a graduate as a teller in a bank? Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
Go 4 ur masters. Except the bank is offering u a better paying position. With a higher degree, u become more marketable. Take this from someone who knows cos i've been there & i'm still there. If u have the opportunity to finance urself 4 a masters abroad, take it. Better than a "TO" in a bank which is alot lower than entry level in d same bank.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by uzor4all: 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2008
I will advise u go 4 the masters degree but have u taken time 2 cost the process? i mean all round cost. An estimate says it cost s about £30,000 with out feeding. If u have worked for only 2 yrs then hw do u intend to sponsor it ? Again consider seeking this admission later when u may have worked for 4 or 5 yrs.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by skfa1: 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2008
You can go for the master provided that

1 You`ve got the admission and the visa

2 You have the full school fee with you (Thinking of getting the school fee over there might take you 2-3 years with hard work which might affect your study and how you plan things)

3 You`ve got signed agreement with your bank that you will be back when you finish your master after a year (coming back with masters earns you more money)

If you cannot meet the above kindly stay with your Job in Nigeria.

Good Luck brother.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by julblu(f): 2:52pm On Sep 30, 2008
it is possible for u to ask for leave in ur bank for the number of months u will be spendin in the uk.so that when u get back u can still av ur job if u still need it.i dont think it is adviceable to quit it is not easy to find one.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by extype: 10:53am On Oct 01, 2008
thanks, all for ur contributions and advices.for those taht asked. my first degree was from the university of benin, and i intend going to imperial college london or heriot-watt scotland. dont ask me if i can aford it cos i already know the cost. i intend going back to my field after my masters ie engineering. i dont like the bank job at all. i find no ffulfilment here. no matter the ocmpany and the pay, as long as i am doing sth enginnering, i will be happier.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by question(m): 6:53pm On Oct 02, 2008
extype:

thanks, all for ur contributions and advices.for those taht asked. my first degree was from the university of benin, and i intend going to imperial college london or heriot-watt scotland. don't ask me if i can aford it because i already know the cost. i intend going back to my field after my masters ie engineering. i don't like the bank job at all. i find no ffulfilment here. no matter the ocmpany and the pay, as long as i am doing sth enginnering, i will be happier.
extype, If you know the cost, that means you know probably know the next session registration deadline and other requirements for both schools.
The earlier you make up your mind, the better for you.
Do not waste time. MSc is just 12 months. Go for it. ASAP.
I know a manager in an oil servicing company in nigeria, that resigned from his well-paid job to go to one of the schools you mentioned above.
There are a lots of Nigerians in UK universites,

If you are already married, that makes it a bit complicated. If not, then no wahala.
Best Wishes.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by extype: 8:47am On Oct 05, 2008
i wil like to know those who have done their mastrs in the uk.i guess its not easy there financing ones self.i am striving so hard to save the much i can.what exactly are the typical finacial challenge u face?
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by aforbaje(m): 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2008
u shld do a masters program that will ensure getting a gud job after d course, u already av abt 2 yrs of "non-engineering" work experience but then ur job role stacks up gud pts for u wrt soft skills etc. As per supporting urself in d UK my best advice is dat u av ALL of the funds u nid (school fees + living expenses). draw up a monthly budget, find out about d cost and standard of living in ur intended school (u can usually get dis on their website). some use up their 20hrs/week working to support themselves - I wldnt advice this sha. all da best!
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2008
my broda just left the country for Scotland last month for his masters in oil and gas engineering in the university of aberdeen , prior to this he was a business manager in Firstinland bank, Ladipo branch and earning 3.8 million naira annually but he still left.

I intend to leave the country myself for sweden by nxt year for my masters altho am not earning nearly as much as my broda but I think it's the way to go.

Go for it and by the way do you know that in Scotland you are given 2 years work permit after your masters
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by soulamanne(m): 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2008
ve got one word for u bro, JA!bank job will just leave u in one position.with ur 2-1 and 2yr job exp,u r good to go boy
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 09, 2008
I don't know who these folks that are advising you are. If you would consider my point of view- stay on your job or change jobs, go and be cash officer somewhere. This will give you anoda perspective of things/the career. Let me tell you something, fulfillment is a thing of the mind. If you are good at your job and display leadership skills after two year, they should move you from tellering (look inwards, most teller in naija banks are OND holders). I no dey yab you o.

Let me give you a little background about myself, so u will know that i know what im saying-
i was a banker in naija for 3 years
moved to the us in 05 for a masters and
work for a big professional service firm
returning to naija pretty soon.

please don't mind the structure of my contribution, i just figured i shd chip in sthg b4 u make a move that u may regret.

i have a friend that made first class at Unilag- worked in a bank, he went to imperial college and made a distinction, that couldn't get a job in the UK. He is back in naija, in finance.

I have another friend that is still in the Uk. engineering background and 2 years banking experience struggling to get into oil and gas after a masters in the best the oil and gas prog in the uk. age and lack of experience are his major issues.

My advise to you is- repackage yourself and get into something new or more interesting in banking. You have two years experience already, I wonder why you would want to trash that. Try marketing if you're looking for sthg challenging.

Schooling and living in the UK or anywhere in the west is not cheap, except you have some scholarship. US colleges offer alot of scholarship opportunities, u will just have to write gre and toefl; if u insist on a career change, i think this will be ur best bet. To be frank with you, resources are becoming scarce in the west and things are getting tighter. over 760,000 jobs have been lost so far in the US for example.

I hope I have helped you in some ways.

let me know if u have any question.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by QBSauceKid: 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2008
My cousin is a chemistry graduate.
Now she serves tea as a PA in a bank.

For how long r u going to feel unsatisfied in ur job?
how u feel abt going t work evry morning is more important than the money u receive at d end of the month.
I think u shld go for ur masters.
but jst remember. . .
Work Hard.A good masters degree would get u anywhere u want t be.seriously.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by tosyn92: 12:18am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by creamofluv: 11:37am On Oct 18, 2008
I think i should chip in a little here, I think its a good idea for you to come over and have your master degree, on the hand that you have the money to sponsor yourself, IF not, My brother You will surfer and regret you ever come to the UK. I aint scaring your ass, and if u think i am, i will give u some people i know that are back in nigeria now that have ur own problem  then they can advice you.

I have many people in england that have degree, masters and guess what they find it difficult to have a job, but only if you decided that after getting your master degree you firing away back home then that is a good one,

Anyway if you still think u want to travel abroad, don't go london, move to scotland, or north west of england, those are the cheapest places, cause man i swear its aint easy man i wont scare you, to get a job, which as a student you can only do 20 hours a week? man even me I'm an MCSA, DIPLOMA IN BTECH 3 years experience IN SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR I NEVER GET A JOB FOR OVER 8 MONTHS NOW, and u gotta share a room with another friend? gotta pay bills? and still pay your master degree? How u gon do that my bru? I aint scaring you but u need to program your self man. And don't even think of going to colleges that affiliates with UNI, cause they crap,  Man i don't know how u gon survive man, cause many people in england that have better jobs in nigeria and came here regret coming here my fellow brother, but if u have money to look aftr yourself for a yr i will say give it 101 shot and come as soon as possible.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by ramonysmile(m): 11:36pm On Oct 28, 2008
[b]My brother I think u've heard enuf advices. Like the saying goes "A WORD IS ENUF FOR THE WISE", I will only advice u take a decision that will always put smiles on ur face.

Best of luck.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by landis(m): 10:25am On Oct 29, 2008
bro,hmm, i actually did my masters in heriot-watt but came back to nigeria this year, i aint advise u to goto UK if u don't have the full cash to take u through because when i was in uk,i didn't have a single job throughout, all i was doing is washing plates sometimes and also doing steward jobs in stadia across UK just to get some tokens to take care of little expenses,

thanks for your candid write-up.

I just wondered when will AFRICANS learn and improve their own country.

Our grand father and father did exactly same thing: washing plates to pay school fees in UK/US.

Second Generation after, we still doing same thing: sign of backwardness.

There should be LAW, if you dont have Master and Bsc from Nigerian University:

You cannot become HEAD of Department in both Governement, Public, or Private companies.

This will force MANY to stay home for Master/Bsc and DEMAND quality from our Uni.

Ofcourse there could be 1yr exchange programme to OPEN our worldview.
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by MrCrackles(m): 10:27am On Oct 29, 2008
ramonysmile:

[b]My brother I think u've heard enough advices. Like the saying goes "A WORD IS enough FOR THE WISE", I will only advice u take a decision that will always put smiles on ur face.

Best of luck.

Thank you!!
Re: Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? by zabada: 10:51am On Oct 29, 2008
My advice is for you to implement the power of focus

(1) (Reply)

H1B Visa - Nigerians Need To Explore It / How Has Nairaland Affected Your Work At The Office? / **MUST READ** Four University Courses Scrap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.