Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,019 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

White Lies - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / White Lies (4607 Views)

12 Common Lies Mentally Strong People Don't Believe / Lies We Have Told Our Parents / Girls and Lies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

White Lies by whizkid(f): 1:49pm On May 05, 2005
Let me start by defining what the term White lie is:an unimportant lie (especially one told to be tactful or polite).

So many people are guilty of telling lies especially the white lies For example, I tell someone, oh nice hair do, without meaning it, but beause I know it will make the person feel good, I compliment her looks anyway, sometimes people even tell white lies in their relationships another example, I tell my spouse I went to see my mum when really I was hanging out with an old friend I had a crush on back in the university, that does not mean I love my spouse any less, but so that my spouse is not hurt, I tell a lie (white lie) etc.

1. I know it is a sin to tell a lie but is there any moral justification to tell a white lie?
2. Should one tell white lies, just to save one's neck? What about the truth shall set you free?
3. Remember also that "a lie breds another lie"?!

Please what are your views?
Re: White Lies by diakim(m): 2:13pm On May 05, 2005
Well, I don't tell white lies, but diplomatic lies.

Like if I don't want to see a visitor in the office, I will tell the receptionist that I am in a meeting, and so I cannot attend to the visitor.

Or, If there is an external call for me from a pestiferious salesperson, I will tell the operator to inform the caller that I am not around.

So Trish, if these fit into your classification of white lies, then so be it.
Re: White Lies by whizkid(f): 2:44pm On May 05, 2005
@ Diakim

Your lies definitely fit into the white lies category. But nobody is judging you bro, smiley I only wanted to know if there is any moral justification for telling them. In your case, those lies are not very important but when the people you tell white lies are people you care about, then it could sometimes be an issue because sometimes lies have a way of 'catching up' with you.
Re: White Lies by Ka: 7:14pm On May 05, 2005
Trish,

For me, it's less about whether you are telling the truth, and more about the intent of your statement. Is it intended to cause harm or do good?

A quick example: let's say that assassins are chasing a person who you know to be innocent and who has rushed into your house for protection. Let's say you have hidden him so well that there is no way they could find him if they searched. Now if they ask you whether you are harbouring him, will you tell the truth? You can see that it will do far more harm than good to do so.

There is a cost to lying, though - you have to ask yourself whether it will destroy the trust between yourself and the person you lie to. Obviously, in the case of the assassins, you could care less if they trust you or not, so it doesn't really matter if you lie. There are other less clear cut cases, where for example you have to hide some bad news from someone because they are not in a position to handle it at that point in time. You just hope that they understand your reasons for doing so, and do not interpret your action then to mean that you habitually lie.
Re: White Lies by razor(m): 11:42am On Jun 22, 2005
There is nothing like a white lie, a lie is a lie. The bible says all liars will have their portion in the lake of fire (l believe white liars is included).
Re: White Lies by olaide07(f): 11:56am On Jul 04, 2005
uuuuum saint razor,don't tell me you can't help a person who's in condition Ka mentioned just because you don't wanna go to tell i swear if you do that you gonna be the first on hell list.Love your neighbour as yourself and do unto others as you want them to do to you.Well a word is enough for the wise.I support the WHITE LIES

LONG LIVE IT
Re: White Lies by Greatpeter(m): 6:40pm On Jul 04, 2005
Hmn, Lie is lie of a truth. There was a time I read about lie on internet. They categorised lie into 3 types.
They geve a story of a family who was a missionary. He preached about lies in Church one day and the assassins visited them that night aimed at killing the Man who gave the sermon.
So man climbed the roof of the house, telling his wife to the assassins he was around but the message her wife heard from her husband touched her and told her husband but you preached about lie today?
her husband said "do it for today and it will be final just to save my life"
Her wife allowed them to enter and the assassins asked her furiously "Where is your husband" She pointed to her husband on the roof and got him killed and she became a widow.
People asked her why? She said God said we should not tell lies.
  So I come to join you ask thesame question and to compliment your points and analogy.
   But lie is bad in the sight of God. What then are you to do?
Re: White Lies by pete(m): 5:47am On Jan 20, 2006
This is a very interesting subject...hhhm, white lies, sure there are white lies...my uncle in Nigeria calls them necessary and unavoidable lies.Sometimes they're meant to save your life or someone elses life. They're called white cos they're not and are not suppose to hurt anyone. In most cases they're meant to save.The guy who talked about his wife...I mean you could be doing something harmless, but if u mention it to her she would flip and hit the roof...so its alot safer to just be technical or diplomatic about it. gain, white lies could be carried out by avoiding the fact....in other words, you just don't make any representation...u jump the question...don't give a direct answer.These are all instances of white lies.
Believe me its a very useful tool in our daily lives and believe me, we all do it.
Re: White Lies by papermoon(f): 5:06pm On Feb 06, 2006
MOI?i never lie..i just TWIST the truth to erm erm...suit my situation. grin
Re: White Lies by Seun(m): 9:14pm On Feb 06, 2006
People that are not in positions of authority tend to lie a lot in order to avoid getting into trouble. Wives, children, and employees.

Those in positions of authority also lie a lot in order to exploit the people 'under' them in various ways. Nigerians generally lie a lot.
Re: White Lies by babymine(f): 1:57pm On Feb 07, 2006
A lie is a lie, whether black, yellow, white or green. Shikenan!
Re: White Lies by Ndipe(m): 10:49pm On Nov 12, 2006
So, a "White" lie is a lie that attempts to mitigate a dangerous situation.

What of a "Black" lie? The ones that worsens a situation. Why can't we blacks just refuse to accept this message of black being evil, while white (as the case of a white lie, being a lesser crime, and even people have deemed it acceptable Lie is lie, period.

As a Christian, I have to say this message is mind sobering. Some of you may be familiar with the story of Rahab and her encounter with the 2 spies from Israel. She lied to protect the lives of those 2 spies when the king of Jericho (her land) ordered her to bring them out of her house. She told him that those men were already gone. Was this justified or not?

Read Hebrews 11:31.

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Hebrews/hebrews_077.htm
Re: White Lies by fm2007(m): 9:29am On Jan 14, 2007
Who become the next Nigeria president after Obasonjo,i see revd. Chris taken over from Obasonjo.Is a man of God and i think Nigerian needs him.Please vote him to become the next number one man. shocked
Re: White Lies by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 14, 2007
Fm2007@ na wetin dem dey yarn be dat?they r talking bot white lies u are mentioning chris oya.sorry.chris mba.Chris Okotie?wait.no be politics d topic dey point 2 nw!abi dem don dey use u?Bfore i vex,APOLOGISE.
Re: White Lies by Horus(m): 4:43pm On Nov 30, 2008
All African people must now realise that the Caucasian races have played a trick within the definitions of the races. Black and white are not actual colours.You will know this as when you see a rainbow you do not find the colour black or white in the rainbow. Black and white are absolutes they exist in all colours.You are not really black but rather brown or very dark brown. The Caucasian is not white but rather a very pale pink brown. They gave themselves thewhite definition to align themselves with light and in religion its says that first god made light and that prophets where white robes etc. This is all to make other races see them as saviours and many Africans still believe this even today.
Re: White Lies by banom(m): 10:40pm On Nov 30, 2008
why should the supposed moral lie be labelled as white lie, meaning the bad type of lie is now black lie, to me lie is lid no white, black.red.pink, yellow, or green. the whyte lie is even the worst since it tends to open deception.
Re: White Lies by gentleemmy(m): 2:11pm On Dec 05, 2008
white lies!

Lets see the Bible - Revelatons:21:8: "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.".

Again - Revelatons:21:27: And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

So take it or not, lie na lie.
Re: White Lies by sima(f): 6:58pm On Dec 05, 2008
purple lies

(1) (Reply)

Thirty Things To Let Go Before 2014 Ends / Collection Of Interesting Images From From Way Back And Present. / How To Get ‘verified’ Status On Perfect Money(pm) Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.