Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,650 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? (11586 Views)

Dirty Habits We Should Stop Doing / Nigerians And Paracetamol Consumption / 4 Most Shocking Facts On Dirty Habits In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by MrCrackles(m): 3:48pm On Sep 05, 2008
guys please let us not degenerate into tribal sentiments

make una no start wahala wey una no go fit handle oo! grin
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Seun(m): 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2008
I totally disagree with Seuns comment. Floods have nothing to do with people throwing trash out of their cars
That is precisely my point.  Did you read the first post?  Anyway, she has clarified it. It's all good. cool
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by hollandis(f): 3:55pm On Sep 05, 2008
tpia:

can you carry your tribalist sentiment to another thread?

Am i being tribalistic? Northerners could mean resident of an area.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by FifiO(f): 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2008
Hey! OKAY let me take you ppl a little away from lagos, Aba, ,  how about dirty irritating personal habits? I so hate people picking their nose around me, yuck!
angry  angry
   angry    angry
angry    angry
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by TPain2(m): 4:24pm On Sep 05, 2008
The lady wey start this thread get sense. She is on point people. The truth is that most of the people wo litter their environment CANNOT take care of themselves properly. I have not seen a well educated person bringing out his thing to urinate in the gutter along the road. Just a bunch of literate people who think they are educated.

To the poster why don't you send your write up to the dailies that way sensible weoo-meaning Nigerians will learn to pay more attention to their environment. If you live in a clean environment you will feel at peace.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by carmelily: 4:27pm On Sep 05, 2008
NORTHERNERS ARE THE DIRTIEST .YOU NEED TO GO TO KATSINA OR KANO ON A RAINY DAY 

@hollandis
You don't need a rainy day to observe the filth in Lagos, Aba and Ibadan. Did you really have to come and SPAM the thread?
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 05, 2008
I'd say Tollu has a very valid point.

Nigerians generally are often in the habit of justifying their habits / actions simply by saying everyone else does it.
Or by saying, anyone that criticizes should do something about issues.
Or, by raining abuse.

All of which have nothing to do with the issues being raised.
Why do you guys always seem to feel that anyone that points out Nigeria's negativity is out to bash Nigeria?
It's almost like defending what's wrong, rather than accepting the fact Nigeria has a hell of a long way to go!

A lot of places in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria are filthy, whether we like to agree or not.
Be it refuse, dead animals, stuff thrown from moving vehicles, it's a hell hole of squalor!

Sure, a lot of streets lack proper drainage, but why compound things by dumping trash from your automobile?
Someone mentioned lack of garbage / trash cans, but what of at home? Don't people have trash cans at home?
Are people's cars so full of trash, that driving to ones destination before dumping trash impossible?

Even in the UK and US, not all areas have thunderboxes, yet people still discipline themselves enough, to use their toilets before leaving home.
I can't see how a grown adult would suddenly be pressed, they must empty their bowels in some street corner.

I can think of a good few countries that suffer from more rainfall than Nigeria, are on a similar geographical level, yet their streets are not flooded with excessive water, with all manner of trash floating about.

The fact is, trash will clog up waterways, regardless of how well they're built, it's a scientific fact.

Unless Nigerians accept there is a problem, with regards to dirty habits, and forget about other countries that may be doing the same, things are never going to improve.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dudubobo1: 4:29pm On Sep 05, 2008
gentysho:

it really has nothing to do with nigerians, hygine is an individual thing

This is exactly my point.
We have a penchant for believing we are the worst people on earth. We believe that every evil has a Nigerian face. I never saw as much Street urination in my life till I re-located to Britain!
It just puts me off when people ascribe all evil to Nigeria  and Nigerians, and not to humanity in general
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dudubobo1: 4:32pm On Sep 05, 2008
Good points Siena
But you need to consider tha population and be realistic about the living standards of the people you are talking about. how many of those who ease themselves in public even have homes? Let's put everything into proper perspective.

There's trash all over London's Streets as well as many other big cities in Britain but they get cleaned up because the local governments are alive to their responsibilities
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 05, 2008
dudu-bobo:

Good points Siena
But you need to consider tha population and be realistic about the living standards of the people you are talking about. how many of those who ease themselves in public even have homes? Let's put everything into proper perspective.

There's trash all over London's Streets as well as many other big cities in Britain but they get cleaned up because the local governments are alive to their responsibilities

Probably.

But, a homeless person emptying their bowels by the roadside's one thing, what happened to bushes?

Many a time have I seen a steaming mound, freshly made, in plain view.
Don't they have any shame?

As per the filthy streets of London, exactly what I was saying - we always seem to see the negatives elsewhere, when we should be dealing with ours.
If Londoners ate faeces, would Nigerians do the same?
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dudubobo1: 5:24pm On Sep 05, 2008
Siena:

Probably.

But, a homeless person emptying their bowels by the roadside's one thing, what happened to bushes?

Many a time have I seen a steaming mound, freshly made, in plain view.
Don't they have any shame?

As per the filthy streets of London, exactly what I was saying - we always seem to see the negatives elsewhere, when we should be dealing with ours.
If Londoners ate faeces, would Nigerians do the same?

Exactly what I am trying to get out is the fact that the thread reads as if Nigerians are the ones with the problem of never wanting to do the right things. There are many factors that militate against such and I am sure many of those contributing on this forum have either contributed to the reason why things are like that ot are beneficiaries of actions that made us become like that.

If there are no proper amenities, and prohibitors etc in place in many other countries, they'll be just as bad
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by shilling(f): 6:05pm On Sep 05, 2008
We're not the dirtiest people in the universe. Come to SA and see dirtiness
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by KarmaMod(f): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2008
Other countries would be just as Dirty if not for the fact that they get a HEAVY FINE for littering.

if Nigeria can install such laws and actually SEE to it that they are enforced, Im sure the amount of filth would decrease
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Babalegba(m): 6:31pm On Sep 05, 2008
dudu-bobo:

This is exactly my point.
We have a penchant for believing we are the worst people on earth. We believe that every evil has a Nigerian face. I never saw as much Street urination in my life till I re-located to Britain!
It just puts me off when people ascribe all evil to Nigeria  and Nigerians, and not to humanity in general

On which British street did you see people urinating ? , or God forbid defeacating . The only creatures doing those things on the streets are pet dogs and 90% of the time the owners clean up after the dog has finished. In order for there to be a positive change in Nigeria people must realize that they were wrong in the first place , so really you are not helping Nigeria by trying to justify their bad habits. Let them realize that what they are doing is shameful and then  they will change.

As for solution, the government should make it compulsory that every building should have a toilet by law. The population should also be controlled, if possible there should be a limit of two children per couple. Nigeria has not got the facilities,  the infrastructure nor the leadership competence to deal with the current number of people in the country.

I'm sorry but experience has taught me that most of the rest of humanity are not as casual in their attitude to sanitation as my people.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by vislabraye(m): 6:33pm On Sep 05, 2008
The problem with the poster is with using ABSOLUTES.[color=#000099][/color]. ARE NIGERIANS THE ONLY DIRTY PEOPLE? I wonder whether she has ever visited Jos, or Sokoto, or some parts in the North. It is lagos especially that is filthy, and that is mainly because of poor waste management , QED
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by tpia: 7:20pm On Sep 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

Other countries would be just as Dirty if not for the fact that they get a HEAVY FINE for littering.

if Nigeria can install such laws and actually SEE to it that they are enforced, I'm sure the amount of filth would decrease

100% AGREE.

Very interesting thread though I almost barfed in my yogurt at Siena's last post.

tru talk though. Defecating etc shouldnt be done in public. I mean, these are grown people who should know better, illiterate or not.  They arent disabled in any way so they really have no excuse.

@ T Pain:  don't assume everyone you see peeing on the street, is an illiterate.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by jaquan(m): 7:37pm On Sep 05, 2008
@Siena, good job.
seun and co pls think carefully before replying to threads. The OP is 100% on point, end of story.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dreeldee: 8:41pm On Sep 05, 2008
I totally agree with the poster, Nigerians are dirty and we need no comparison for that (don't tell me some other countries are dirtier), let's face our own problems. We're dirty. Just as somebody pointed out on this thread, what i don't like about Nigerians is the fact that, we don't always want to take responsibilities for our actions, instead, we look for justifications for everything either good or bad (especially bad). let every man start practicing personal hygiene, the government won't provide a waste bin in your car neither will you be provided one in your homes. By doing that, we won't be compounding the problems already created by the lack of these basic amenities, which of course is the duty of the government. Instead of waiting for the government to do [b]everything [/b]for us, let's apply commonsensical attitude.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dtwsola(m): 10:11pm On Sep 05, 2008
Seun:

First of all, the whole of Nigeria is not as dirty as you describe. Just some parts of Lagos, and Aba.

Seun, I always thought you were delusional. Now I am certain of it.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:24pm On Sep 05, 2008
NORTHERNERS ARE THE DIRTIEST .YOU NEED TO GO TO KATSINA OR KANO ON A RAINY DAY

IN THE WEST some DEFECATE IN POTS, THAT IS JUST THE DIRTIEST HABIT, but TRUTH BE KNOWN THE WEST IS THE DIRTIEST, NO CONTEST undecided
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by iceland(m): 10:58pm On Sep 05, 2008
dtw_sola:

Seun, I always thought you were delusional. Now I am certain of it.
GBAM! :oWell said! grin grin

I was disappointed too when I read seun's reply.He lacked foresight.Go to Ghana and see how clean they are.and look very well if you'll see public toilets and waste bins up to the ones currently in Nigeria.WE ARE DIRTY!Period!
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by tpia: 12:37am On Sep 06, 2008
iceland:

GBAM! :oWell said! grin grin

I was disappointed too when I read seun's reply.He lacked foresight.Go to Ghana and see how clean they are.and look very well if you'll see public toilets and waste bins up to the ones currently in Nigeria.WE ARE DIRTY!Period!

Kindly read The Beautyful Ones are Not yet Born, then come back and repost.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Rams(m): 1:27am On Sep 06, 2008
The poster is very correct.

In my opinion, it is *mostly* a cultural thing (I emphasize mostly, it is far from the only reason).  Somehow we Nigerians have subconsciously accepted this behavior, to throw our garbage anywhere.  Everyone does it.

But we also have to look at infrastructure and facilities.  The people you see shitting in public most likely do not have other options in the area (i.e, no public toilets in the area or even in the shacks they live in).  I refuse to believe that if there were choices available, a sane person would chose to do their business out in the open. 

Another point is that waste disposal is a joke in Nigeria.  I mean consistent, professional waste management services do not exist.  Where you put your house's garbage in a designated place and once a week a truck comes and carries it away.   I have always thought that the person who starts a company like WM (http://www.wm.com/, American company that deals with end user waste) would make a killing in Nigeria.  It's not easy, yes, but there is zero competition to face.

Somehow we have to drill it into our heads that it is not OK to throw rubbish anywhere.  At the same time, we need to have proper disposal for this garbage. 

There is no point arresting someone for relieving himself/herself in public when no other choice exists close by. 

Edit: I know Lagos has a state owned waste management program but lets all be realistic, it has only seen limited success.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by idupaul: 1:34am On Sep 06, 2008
Somehow we Nigerians have subconsciously accepted this behavior, to throw our garbage anywhere. Everyone does it.
not everyone, i dont
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by blackspade(m): 1:36am On Sep 06, 2008
KarmaMod:

if Nigeria can install such laws and actually SEE to it that they are enforced, I'm sure the amount of filth would decrease
No, if Nigeria had a large fleet of street cleaners like they do in many other countries, you will see the filth go down.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by KarmaMod(f): 5:33am On Sep 06, 2008
blackspade:

No, if Nigeria had a large fleet of street cleaners like they do in many other countries, you will see the filth go down.

It's the fine.

Imagine paying $500 for littering. Simple tossing out a cup. That's enough to scare anyone straight. They should implement such in Naija.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by sweetchi(f): 9:08am On Sep 06, 2008
@tollu,watch ur choice of language.dont go about generalizing all Nigerians as the same ok.if u have a reasonable contribution to make in this forum,u do so without being insulting.i advise you to take ur case to the govenors in all the states so that they can start wokin on it.theyare in a better position to do so.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dreeldee: 9:49am On Sep 06, 2008
sweetchi:

@tollu,watch your choice of language.don't go about generalizing all Nigerians as the same ok.if u have a reasonable contribution to make in this forum,u do so without being insulting.i advise you to take your case to the govenors in all the states so that they can start wokin on it.theyare in a better position to do so.
get your head Outta your ass, she didn't insult no one cool
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by iice(f): 10:00am On Sep 06, 2008

Agree!

@Topic, its not only littering
But seriously, people should learn to stop emptying their bowels on the streets - yak!
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by iceland(m): 11:10am On Sep 06, 2008
idupaul:

not everyone, i don't
Everybody does not mean everyone.She was trying to say majority of Nigerians.If majority of us Nigerians are clean then Nigeria is clean.But it's otherwise!
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 06, 2008
Sweetchi, Tollu did not insult anyone in her post.

She just stated fact, another thing Nigerians in general can't deal with.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 06, 2008
@ poster, Good point, but your accusations suck. People are dirty, its not restricted to Nigerians. Everywhere in the world, hygeine related ilness are a major cause of death. So stop ranting abour Nigeriand being dirty. Why dont you try getting rid of the dirts if they irritate you that much. You can also try sensitizing people on the dangers they cause when they fling pure water bags out of their cars. Its not an issue to fight about, its a danger to everybody including the popel causing it. kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Staph Cureable? / Enugu Fire Service Begins Decontamination Of Ogbete Main Market / Do You Know Your HIV Status?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.