Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,136 members, 7,835,812 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! (1082 Views)

One Critical Decision That Got Me Promoted To A Manager(must Read) / Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? / Am I Making The Right Decision? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by Pholy(m): 5:17pm On Sep 07, 2008
hello house,
i am in my final semester in one of Nigeria's foremost university,  and i am in a dilemma.
presently, i am on a 3.4 CGPA, with an option of graduating with this result which is a 2nd class lower degree and taking an extra semester to upgrade this result to 3.5 CGPA which is a second class upper.
however, my situation is this; if i graduate now - i would graduate this month and go to serve in march 2009 but taking an extra semester means i would graduate sept 2009 and serve mar 2010.
pls, what should i do? is 2.1 really worth the wait?
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by debosky(m): 5:20pm On Sep 07, 2008
Its a big decision no doubt. . . . first question would be this: are you motivated enough to get that 2:1 if you wait?

If you aren't, i.e if you're tired of school and just want to get out, then I'd advice that you leave now and continue with your life, rather than waste an additional year.

If you are motivated however, then it is a very good idea to stay on, even with the extra time you'll spend in school. You'll have the 2:1 degree for the rest of your life and it does make a difference.
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by Pholy(m): 5:36pm On Sep 07, 2008
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by carvone: 1:26pm On Sep 08, 2008
Its such a big decision, but before my comment,will like to knw how old u are and ur field of study in school
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by MyPeace(f): 3:33pm On Sep 08, 2008
l will advise you to graduate with ur 2:2, success is not mostly determined by ur paper qualification. Though we know the magic better results do, but 2:2 is not bad. l will advise u to instead use the extra one year to acquire a marketable skill . Skill plus ur 2:2 is better than 2:1 without additional skill.

Good luck.
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by agaba123(m): 3:41pm On Sep 08, 2008
MyPeace:

l will advise you to graduate with your 2:2, success is not mostly determined by your paper qualification. Though we know the magic better results do, but 2:2 is not bad. l will advise u to instead use the extra one year to acquire a marketable skill . Skill plus your 2:2 is better than 2:1 without additional skill.

Good luck.
I think say na only stock you sabi.
I support your wise advice though.
How sure is he that he will upgrade? Any guarantees?

I have seen 2:2 who are managers and CEO's. The difference between 3.5 and 3.4 is 0.1.
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by Pholy(m): 3:23pm On Sep 09, 2008
carvone:

Its such a big decision, but before my comment,will like to knw how old u are and your field of study in school

thanks carvone i am 23yrs old and i am studying insurance
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by maxxy: 11:47pm On Sep 09, 2008
You need to consider several factors become making a decision. First, what are your life goals? Do you plan to work for yourself or seek employment? If you plan to set up you own biz, you can as well settle for the 2.2 and start that biz. But if you want to work you need to think again, depending on the sector where you want. 25yrs by 2010 is not a bad age to be a 2.1 graduate for most comanies. There are multitudes of young 2.2 holders without jobs, and though 2.1 does not give you an automatic job, its gives you much leverage, at least it will get you past the door.

Secondly, how certain is the upgrade? If there is any uncertainty or it seems policies may change in the new future, you may need to stick with what you have and hope for the best, but be sure to upgrade yourself anyhow, because today, a Bsc. is not enough.

There are lots of other stuff to consider, but I got to go.

All the best.
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by amusanl: 10:18am On Sep 10, 2008
if u are very sure making the 2.1 with the extra semester, i can assure you it worth it.
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by nyla24: 8:56pm On Sep 20, 2008
All the posts here have very valid points. But something else you must consider; What if your lecturers go on strike? you may not graduate even in the 2009. Nigeria is too unstable to take the risk. I say you get out now while you still can.
Re: Most Delicate Decision Of My Life: Help! by rasmur5: 12:02am On Sep 21, 2008
If there is at least a 75% chance of making a 2-1 with the extra semester, I say go for it. A couple of more months is a lot less than the number of years left in your life (May God grant you long life, good health). At 23, you easily have minimum 30 yrs ahead in terms of work/career pursuits. Even if you retire after 25 yrs of work, that's still a lot more than your current age. A 2-1 can make the difference when interviewing for a job especially in Nigeria of today; the job you get today can have lasting impact on the direction your career takes. Also, a 2-1 from Nigeria can make a difference btw getting into a really good school for post-grad studies and a mediocre, small time school in some parts of North America.

(1) (Reply)

Econometrics / Am Being Underpaid As A Web Developer / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.