Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Fight The Good Fight: - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fight The Good Fight: (1046 Views)

Fight The Islamic Agenda Now And Give Ur Children A More Peaceful Tomorrow / Fight The Good Fight Of Faith. / You Negros I Hope You Realize That You Are Going To Fight The Army Of The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fight The Good Fight: by Africankel(m): 9:22pm On Sep 10, 2008
Paul tells Timothy in 1 Timothy 6:12  to Fight the good fight,  Today alot of christians are angaged in different battles, Why?
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by pilgrim1(f): 9:38pm On Sep 10, 2008
Perhaps because it's the natural disposition of man to spoil for a fight - good or bad? undecided grin
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by Cayon(f): 1:55pm On Sep 12, 2008
Faith isn't something you study and then gain the knowledge. Faith is a gift from God and there are those that were never given the gift and if they were given it they rejected it because they can't wrap their brain around a concept that they aren't the center of the universe.
We are in the middle of a battle its called good vs evil.
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by remyte(m): 9:12pm On Sep 12, 2008
When you are engaged in a faith battle the subject of the contest is eternal life wchich was inputted to you by faith in the Son of God. That why apostle Paul admonishes that you must lay hold of eternal life no matter what.
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by donnie(m): 9:40am On Sep 13, 2008
There are good fights and there are bad ones. Fighting in the streets for free (when others make millions of dollars from fighting) is a bad fight.
The fight of faith is a good one with direct benefits here on earth and in eternity. In the fight of faith, we know the winner even before the fight begins. The fight will not end until we have won. Isnt that just cool? cool
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by donnie(m): 9:44am On Sep 13, 2008
Faith isnt a gift in the sense of some christans have it and some don't. Nope, it came with the gospel and is imparted to your spirit the moment u recieve the gospel of Christ and are born again. (Romans 12:3).
This however should not be confused with the gift of faith refered to by Paul in his letter to the corinthians. Just like many of us as christians can and do prohesy but there are some who have the gift of prophecy in operation in their lives. We all can lay hands on the sick in faith and have them recover but there are some with the gift of healing.
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by pilgrim1(f): 11:33am On Sep 13, 2008
Thank you, donnie, for helping with that balance. And Cayon, I enjoyed your input as well.

However, just a few remarks I would like to make at this point on the following idea:
Faith isn't something you study and then gain the knowledge.

Actually, some people come to the Christian faith by a careful study of its core teachings. Although I can relate to what you might have intended to say, yet I can testify that it was partly and hugely by studying that I left my former religion and embraced the faith that is in Jesus Christ.

What makes people "study" the faith?

Simply because they have questions. You know, one of the most profound things that struck me when I began studying the Christian faith is the remarkable freedom in Christ that believers enjoy. In my former faith, we were not so free to ask questions; the belief was that you cannot question the things of god and therefore you simply "obey". However, not only did I come to enjoy that freedom, it was a thrill to see that there were sound answers to most of the questions that had stewed up in my heart.

Does intellectual exercise alone bring one to faith?

No, because that is where a lot of people arrive at diverse conclusions (most often extreme, incoherent and unhealthy). Intellectual study alone did not bring me to have faith in Jesus Christ. I was willing to be radically honest to deal with my prejudices formerly held against the Bible. Would the Bible deliver its promises if I obeyed what it taught? Well, I did - and also experienced the power it promised! That is beyond mere intellectual exercise.

So, how do we start to "fight" the good fight?

I recommend this: anyone who would enjoy the benefits of this kind of fight should be willing enough to radically defeat their own prejudices. That is where the fight begins - in your own heart. I'm persuaded that many people take a default stance against the Bible before they even read it - and that is where they lose the battle. Nothing can be as dangerously self-defeating as to be callously misrepresenting the convictions of other people. Let me elaborate.

When we engage in any spirited and deeply affecting issue, we should be willing to be as simple, cordial and honest. It doesn't matter whether we are dealing with people of other worldviews apart from our own - the point is this: conquer your own prejudices against other people first and foremost, then your struggles will be richly rewarded. Just think of all my wasted years arguing against Christians: how did it happen? Because I already hated them and was "delighted" to make many false assertions against the Biblical faith - afterall, everyone was doing it, and it was the easiest thing in the world to do! But what did I gain personally? Absolutely nothing other than a stupid pride and false sense of accomplishments!

But thank God who helped me overcome my own internal prejudices first! This is where the fight begins - to remove my own log first before trying to correct anyone else! Next step, was to seek to approach life (real life) with an honest heart (Luke 8:15 - "an honest and good heart"wink. I cannot hope to benefit myself as long as my own false prejudices are treasured in my heart, otherwise it remains an "ugly fight".

The good fight is not a selfish engagement. It lays hold on eternal life, and as such is not interested in rationalizing contrary lifestyles. I believe the Bible teaches that the "good fight" is an intelligent one: it was not formulated to make zombies out of anyone. Christians are called to be intelligent people - but such intelligence is nothing without the help of the Spirit.

God bless.
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by olabowale(m): 1:11pm On Sep 13, 2008
@Pilgrim.1 « on: September 10, 2008, 09:22 PM »

Pauls tells Timothy in 1 Timothy 6:12 to Fight the good fight, Today alot of christians are angaged in different battles, Why?

I wonder if the above is coming directly from God to the "inspired Bible writers"? Is that from Paul, or is it from Jesus, or is part of the word of God Almighty, who is the Creator, alone? You see that your hyposthesis is merely a bad one. Yet you have precipitiously recorded it a proven and alway applicable theoretical formulae! What problem can this verse solve; 100% word of God or just desired statement from Paul, entered into the Bible? It shows some form of diltion if you always assumed everything in the Bible was from God and no one else!
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by olabowale(m): 1:22pm On Sep 13, 2008
The good fight should not involve blows and spears and guns and bunker busters. Christianity is "peace loving" religion. If they whack you on one cheek, then the other cheek you must turn for a bigger whacking!
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by pilgrim1(f): 1:24pm On Sep 13, 2008
olabowale:

@Pilgrim.1 « on: September 10, 2008, 09:22 PM »
I wonder if the above is coming directly from God to the "inspired Bible writers"? Is that from Paul, or is it from Jesus, or is part of the word of God Almighty, who is the Creator, alone? You see that your hyposthesis is merely a bad one. Yet you have precipitiously recorded it a proven and alway applicable theoretical formulae! What problem can this verse solve; 100% word of God or just desired statement from Paul, entered into the Bible? It shows some form of diltion if you always assumed everything in the Bible was from God and no one else!

All the same, I fully embrace it. That verse (to fight the good fight) does not sound like Jihad, or the restlessness you have always exhibited. It was one of the verses that helped me to overcome my hatred and prejudice against Christians and Jews - and that was what led me to know that the Quran has no justification to hate them. I would rather love the Jews and Christians than be unhealthily prejudiced against them. What you gain by your constant meaningless rants against them is left to you.

God bless you. . . in Jesus Name. cheesy
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by pilgrim1(f): 1:25pm On Sep 13, 2008
olabowale:

The good fight should not involve blows and spears and guns and bunker busters. Christianity is "peace loving" religion. If they whack you on one cheek, then the other cheek you must turn for a bigger whacking!

I can understand why you're always seeking to "whack" people. wink Please continue to show why you're restless, and may God give you the peace you desperately need.
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by Nobody: 10:07pm On Sep 13, 2008
Olabowale, is the islamic section so boring? Why arent you there exhorting your brethren during this fasting period? grin
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by pilgrim1(f): 1:14am On Sep 14, 2008
mazaje:

olawabole

Hehehoho. . . abeg make we just dey watch alhaji dey hyperventilate. grin cheesy
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by AKO1(m): 4:25pm On Sep 14, 2008
Y'all are going off topic.

All discussions regarding islam go to Islam for Muslims section.

wink
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by Africankel(m): 8:32pm On Sep 14, 2008
Olabowale Said "I wonder if the above is coming directly from God to the "inspired Bible writers"? Is that from Paul, or is it from Jesus, or is part of the word of God Almighty, who is the Creator, alone? You see that your hyposthesis is merely a bad one."

The bible says in 2 Timothy 3:16 - 17 that "All scripture is given by inspiration of GOD, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for intstruction in rightrousness: That the man (Child) of God may be throughly furnished unto all good works."[b][/b]
So my dear friend, it doesnt matter whose lips it comes from, God said it!

@All, But despite the vast knowledge of faith by some believers, they still engage in spiritual warfares with 'spiritual amornitions', I've read from the cover of my bible to the back I've not seen any portion that says "Fight the Devil", Do we call these activities by christians ignorance?
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by pilgrim1(f): 9:23pm On Sep 14, 2008
Africankel:

I've read from the cover of my bible to the back I've not seen any portion that says "Fight the Devil", Do we call these activities by christians ignorance?

It all depends on what is meant by "fight the devil". Just as some people look for doctored statements in the Bible to pepper some ideas, so the case could be made that no portion of the Scripture explicitly states the opposite such as "Do not fight the devil'.

We may understand, however, that in Christian warfare, the call is made to do the following:

[list][list][li]we are to "resist the devil" - and he will "flee" - James 4:7 [/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are not to give place to the devil - Eph. 4:27[/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are stand againt the wiles of the devil - Eph. 6:11[/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are to be vigilant and steadfastly resist the devil - 1 Peter 5:8-9[/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are to overcome the devil by the Blood - Rev. 12:11[/li][/list][/list]

It should be clear to us that the highlighted portions are descriptive of the type of spiritual warfare Christians are called to betake themselves to.
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by AKO1(m): 9:44pm On Sep 14, 2008
pilgrim.1:

[list][list][li]we are to "resist the devil" - and he will "flee" - James 4:7 [/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are not to give place to the devil - Eph. 4:27[/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are stand againt the wiles of the devil - Eph. 6:11[/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are to be vigilant and steadfastly resist the devil - 1 Peter 5:8-9[/li][/list][/list]
[list][list][li]we are to overcome the devil by the Blood - Rev. 12:11[/li][/list][/list]

Interestingly most of these put us on the offense, not the defense.

Jesus has spoilt principalities and powers!!
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by Africankel(m): 3:52pm On Sep 15, 2008
Pilgrim said:
we are to "resist the devil" - and he will "flee" - James 4:7
we are not to give place to the devil - Eph. 4:27
we are stand againt the wiles of the devil - Eph. 6:11
we are to be vigilant and steadfastly resist the devil - 1 Peter 5:8-9
we are to overcome the devil by the Blood - Rev. 12:11

All these are not fights, or means of fighting.
We are "NOT TO OVERCOME THE DEVIL", (This is the mentality alot of christians), thats why they still engage in "spiritual warfare". They quote Eph.6:12, (This portion does not mean we are in a spiritual battle of swords and spares with the devil)
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by pilgrim1(f): 9:50pm On Sep 15, 2008
@Africankel,

Africankel:

We are "NOT TO OVERCOME THE DEVIL", (This is the mentality alot of christians), thats why they still engage in "spiritual warfare".

Should we take that reaction as meaning that your idea of the Christian life does not include spiritual warfare?

Africankel:

They quote Eph.6:12, (This portion does not mean we are in a spiritual battle of swords and spares with the devil)

I don't think anyone has said what you're implying, though.
Re: Fight The Good Fight: by olabowale(m): 11:39pm On Sep 16, 2008
@Africankel: #14 on: September 14, 2008, 08:32 PM »

Olabowale Said "I wonder if the above is coming directly from God to the "inspired Bible writers"? Is that from Paul, or is it from Jesus, or is part of the word of God Almighty, who is the Creator, alone? You see that your hyposthesis is merely a bad one."

The bible says in 2 Timothy 3:16 - 17 that "All scripture is given by inspiration of GOD, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for intstruction in rightrousness: That the man (Child) of God may be throughly furnished unto all good works."[b][/b]
So my dear friend, it doesnt matter whose lips it comes from, God said it!

Now, blame it on the Biblical God! Thats a bad presidence. The good, the bad and the ugly. All of them, you are now ascribing to God! Na wa oh. No wonder you do not want take responsibility your your own deeds.

(1) (Reply)

What Good Has Xtianity Brought To Nigeria / -- / Word From The Lord - My Heart Is Breaking!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.