Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,532 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? (23526 Views)

Buy Hp Pavilion Dv4 #35000. Click For Details. / Which Shud I Buy Hp Pavilion Dv6 Or Hp Pavilion G6? / Which Laptop Is Better To Buy, Hp Or Dell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2008
Samsung wont let itself get caught napping. here is their netbook offering, the NC10 for $532 (or 299 british pounds, or 62,244 naira)

its running on intel Atom and windos XP.

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 8:57pm On Oct 02, 2008
@Ex, most times, i feel more comfortable when people refer to the particular kind of OS they use instead of generalizing it. Someone can be using Windows, mac, Linux etc but it makes more sense saying u're using Tiger, XP, Redhat and the others, was just trying to make a point,

That Acer stuff was really cool, but i'll still prefer building my gaming rig with my bare hands, the only problem is the unavailability of component parts in this country. This is a kind of country where the consumers are ahead of the marketers. When i requested for a Quad core processor in Lagos some few months ago, i was told they not heard of something like that.

Now imagine, if the Apple 3G phone can be released in countries like mali, Egypt and other poor countries, i dont know why it's not been released here despite the large consumer base.

on the cloud stuff, it is only natural that we make progress, and i know with time we will get there. there has been much support of this concept with the likes of Amazon, IBM, yahoo and google doing what they know how to do best. The cloud is the next step, but then the laptops and desktops will still play their roles, cos the netbooks and nettops cant make up for the gamers machines.

Do someone out there know that computer games can actually help improve your maths, well u can check on the link above for a BBC report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7635404.stm
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 10:05am On Oct 03, 2008
@Djcn

i feel you on pinning OS usage, there are sometimes different experiences when using various flavors of one OS, as the users of Tiger will say Leopard is eyecandy and less stable (I'm yet to establish that; i do agree update 10.5.4 almost broke my itunes connectivity to the Store among other issues), and the users of XP Home will have a slightly different experience from those using Xp Professional or Windows MCE or even Windows server 2003.

however for linux users the difference in distros can be wildly different; those on Gnome will find KDE a bit off and vice versa (though I'm much a Gnome fan), or Xfce etc. its also a bit different in package management (YUM, APT, etc).

i agree gaming laptops/desktops wont be replaced by netbooks (even though netbooks are not really intended to).

for now. 

but what if gaming itself moved online? the success of MMORPGs likve Everquest, Ultima, etc and the appeal of multiplayer online gaming, which ensured the success of Xbox Live and Xbox itself as well as the cloning of it by Playstation Network, suggests that players are willing to play (1) online, (2), with other people across vast geographical spans. also, LAN parties and fragfests seemed to solidify that perception that interconnected gaming is a thing of the future.

now in the near future in the era of cloud computing even gaming itself will not run on local machines; these net-connected machines will execute threads and processes but the actual brute work will be done up in the cloud. perhaps all gamers will do is install local clients that serve as a sort of portal to the online gamimg community and select what to play and who to play with via the portal (very much like Xbox live).

second life (www.secondlife.com) has shown remarkably that witha good enough graphics card and broadband internet, complex virtual societies (ala The Sims) can exist in the Cloud in full 3D glory. and second life only requires a client running on the guest computer. its not a game, but the principle and the virtual world is very game-like.

and remember the Asus netbook i posted earlier already has advanced 3D gaming capabilities, so whether locally or via the Cloud, the netbook has the native capability to handle advanced current-gen graphics.

I'm not sure how cloud computing will succeed; or how it will impact nigerians. but i can safely guess tat it will change computing as we know it by offering seemingly limitless virtual storage and infinite resources online connected in such a way that the line between online and offline will be considerably blurred. remember apps like Adobe AIR allow online apps to be run offline and some browsers are integrating this capability.

as for the iphone 3G i remarked in the phone thread that perhaps the obligations that come with offering the phone (subsidizing the phone, closing the phone to one carrier, hefty data fees, monthly contract charges and 2-year contract commitment which may be hard to enforce in naija given our arbitration/judicial system and weak regulators) may not properly reflect the business models of MTN and the rest. our carriers and Apple share different business models, it seems.

our networks do not tie phones to their services; most nigerians prefer prepaid to contract; monthly service charge may generate a furor; and data services in a phone you can't tether to your laptop will not take off. Blackberry, which YOU CAN tether, has not fully flown as it were.

eventually iphone 3G will trickle into naija into our open networks without Apple's dictative tendencies.

as for computer games; they improve much more than math skills. the benefits include improved hand/eye coordination, mental acuity, fast response, dexterity, problem solving skills etc.

hand building gaming rigs is the best option as per saving money, but soemtimes people often buy branded boutique machines for pure effizy (and aftersales support).

then again hooking up that liquid cooling system is a bother.

ive been working on makong a 3D FPS game since last year. its coming along poorly because of lack of time and building even one layer of the map takes almost 16 hours of computer time. blame that on my machines' resources. the development program runs only on windows else if it was linux i could get bigbrovar to help set up a distributed computing cluster with other machines so rendering will be faster.

i have numerous alpha-stage test builds and i want to incorporate online mode but its giving me headache. should i go UDP? TCP/IP? im not too good with transport protocols even though the software makes it easy.

im using FPS Creator (dead easy to use). however the direct x 10 version is out but it needs a highend Nvidia rig.

my point is, online capability in gaming is hard to implement. kudos to those guys.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 12:25pm On Oct 03, 2008
For the online gaming, Our desktops and laptops can better serve that purpose.
These guys can still be connected online for playing online games. Basically the most damanding component is the GPU and as u said if the netbooks are fitted with 3D advance gaming capabilities that can be compared to those in notebooks, then what i see is a gradual progression from notebooks to nettops, and this is very logical, computers in the first generation were as big as houses but the power can be compared to those in mobile phones today, systems are becoming more powerful but smaller, the least of systems manufactured today far exceeds any in the fourth generation, Laptops are now paralleing their desktop counterparts and as i've said before, notebook sales have now exceed their desktop counterparts, and this is expected to continue.
If all cloud computing will do for us is to help us execute threads and processes "up in the cloud'' then we dont really need much processing power.

Now netbooks is replacing the terms "small and light notebooks, ultraportable and ultralight laptops"
Processors are becoming smaller, 32nm in the making, GPUs more powerful and memory more plentiful, i know we ll get there,

i got this from a site while comparing notebooks vs netbooks

Netbooks versus Notebooks: The New Age Mindshare Battle

While the lines between notebooks and netbooks have been drawn, it's still hard for most people to appreciate the differences between both machines. Most people still consider the burgeoning netbook market as part of the notebook market, while few see it for what it really is, another segregation of the already saturated portable market with yet another device gunning for your consumer dollars.

Netbooks and notebooks aren't any different when you get down to the basics; both devices share pretty similar features, which is why most people tend to lump them both together in the same category. Designed with portability in mind, netbooks and notebooks are computers for users on the go with programs for both work and entertainment. Factor in a keyboard, a LCD screen, hard drive, speakers and internet capability, the line between both machines becomes smudged despite our earlier statements to the contrary. The key difference the netbook offers is its smaller form factor and leaner hardware for longer useage periods, but is limited in its processing capabilities and is more optimal for simple Internet-based usage.These however will change in the future.

4 the iphone 3G, well let's hope we ll get there but i thing MTN is capable of bearing the charges as they did in S.A.
The G1 is due for sales in two weeks time and there is already a hot air blowing around. well, we'll see when we get it.

Computer Games
There's been much news on this PC gaming stuffs, On BBC, Skynews, Discovery and CNN. It is proposed that gamers that drive may get insurance benefits in the US. I think there's now some good sides to PC games than was formerly realised.

It's true building a gaming u can use softcooling or the newer Air conditioners, simple yet very very effective. i hope the PC will not produce ice blocks. grin grin grin

You got some nice work to do. I'm mostly interested in non-action games and adventures and have never though of building one.
I think u kind of need a server if u're much interested in games creations. A high end system indeed

UDP vs TCP
The truth is that as long as u dealing with games u forget everything about TCP.
UDP is much faster than TCP because there's no extra overhead for error-checking.
Online games require constant fast transmission of data will require UDP.
The major difference is drawn between fast transmission and reliability of data. For Reliability then TCP.
Thx
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 12:34pm On Oct 07, 2008
UDP then.

meanwhile seems everyone wants a slice of Apple's iMac pie. see pic of HP TouchSmart PC below. its an All In One (AIO)

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 5:47am On Oct 08, 2008
@Mr webzone or whatever u call urself, i don't see any relationship between the topic and discussions on this thread and what u posted. I think that is dumb of you, even if browsing is free on the gprs platform, it is damn too slow for my work and would prefer paying for broadband connections.

If i may ask do u know anything about gprs and internet connection, u guys should find something else to do as there are much better ways to make cool cash in ur backyard.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Infoseye(m): 6:16pm On Oct 09, 2008
Am a Acer User just got one two weeks ago for 70k its one of a kind never seen acer like this one, it came with Linux Os for advanced users but I later on installed Xp on it then later upgrade to Vista later on.

Its a Intel Celeron, 80Gb 512 ram 2.0Ghz and it has WIFI, Bluetooh and Infra red. The bluetooth has loads of features like remote using bluetooth etc Its DVD/ Multi Recorder its pretty cool and has a nice design for that price. The model is Acer Extensa 4220, its a nice laptop for students and home users.

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ifeoma1(m): 2:53pm On Oct 10, 2008
@Webzone or whatever you call your self. There are better ways to earn good cash eg jumping of a skyscrapper without a parachute. You will have a million dollar waiting 4 you at ground zero
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ifeoma1(m): 2:57pm On Oct 10, 2008
What's the price range of Dell laptops
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by samir101ng(m): 9:08pm On Oct 10, 2008
@ Ex Inferis, Gamine, djcn and all my people. Happy Sallah. Sorry, i havent been around. Am currently shuttling between kd, zaria and abuja. Am yet to get settled. infact am posting on a friends phone. Keep up the good work. Will be back soon.

@ Ex Inferis

Wallahi, za ka saya min alienware. Am daydreaming about them. grin grin grin
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by gbekumoyan(f): 11:52am On Oct 13, 2008
You guys are not talking about the after sales service advantage that HP has over the other lappy brands.

Do APPLE, ACER, SONY, etc have after sales service outlets in naija? Or are you saying these lappies don't develop problems just because they aint HPs?
Gimme answers!
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 12:05pm On Oct 13, 2008
@samir

ni ma kaina ina kachaniyan sayar ta ne. garin ya yi zafi. ka fara tari tun yanzu.

@Infoseye

an affordable system that will serve students, business environments and other core computing users. pity you had to remove linux, its great.

below is another reason buy Acer. Behold the AX3200.

spex:

1. AMD Phenom X3 8450 triple-core processor

2. 4GB RAM

3. 640GB hard drive

4.  NVIDIA's GeForce 8200 (the only achilles heel; its integrated GPU)

5.  P244W 24-inch 1080p LCD display 1920 x 1080 (1080p full HD resolution, yay!!)

6. Blu-ray drive (double Yay!!)

all for an affordable $1,080.

@gbekumoyan

your point is poorly conceived. people buy computers because of 1, price/performance ratio and 2, budget.

its illogical to base purchasing needs on aftersales support as the only compelling criterion. besides, how many people in naija are willing to cart their machines to expensive support systems when roadside technicians will do just fine? unlike desktops lappys have few changeable parts and the use of a power brick ensures power surges harm mostly only the power pack. common problems are screen, powerbrick, HD and memory. you hardly come across a fried lappy board.

all the above problems are easily fixable by Boda Bayo across the street.

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by gbekumoyan(f): 1:53pm On Oct 13, 2008
I'm not an HP freak. In fact my first notebook was an acer TM but the non availability of After Sales Service (ASS) killed it after much tampering by the 'Boda Bayos'. Consult 'Boda Bayos', end up with crappy lappys and then turn around to blame it on the manufacturers, are what SOMETIMES, happen IN NAIJA.

I'm not saying ASS is the only consideration, but, it's sure a good factor for those who are not interested in giving their gadgets to the Boda Bayos of naija.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by bigrovar(m): 6:18pm On Oct 13, 2008
@Ex Inferis dude i want to know your take on this, i have we have a time capsule in the office which is connected to the network and mounted (through fstab) on my desktop/laptop using samba what i would like to know is if the time capsule can be used in setting up a upnp server, cause am thinking of setting up a media server for streaming videos an all my devices using the campus network ,
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 6:34pm On Oct 13, 2008
unfortunately Time Capsule does not support Upnp as of now and it doesnt support streaming service, and i cant think of any way to set it up except as an itunes media center with Bonjour running on client PCs.

thats the next best thing; itunes media streams.

maybe a ReadyNAS would be a better replacement because it offers all sorts of network services including Bonjour. its also a Upnp device.

maybe Apple will update the TC line since they are going through some major hardare turnnrounds.

@ gbekumoyan

goodpoint
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by flyuche(m): 7:50pm On Oct 13, 2008
acer has a solid ASS in LAGOS, PH and some other towns i am not sure of right now.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Gamine(f): 3:07pm On Oct 19, 2008
@Gbeku

i feel ya , one of em dudes killed my Acer too, stole almost every good part

and left me with the carcass.

My sister got an Acer netbook, runs on atom, bla bla blo. . . . some time back, i cant just warm up to those things

The display is cramped, the keyboard is cramped, my fingers shut down after three hours

of using that system.

Chei!

@Samir, take it easy, its the price we pay for being Human. wink
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by gbekumoyan(f): 4:34pm On Oct 20, 2008
Gamine:

@Gbeku

i feel ya , one of em dudes killed my Acer too, stole almost every good part

and left me with the carcass.

My sister got an Acer netbook, runs on atom, bla bla blo. . . . some time back, i can't just warm up to those things

The display is cramped, the keyboard is cramped, my fingers shut down after three hours

of using that system.

Chei!

@Samir, take it easy, its the price we pay for being Human. wink

Eyhaaaaaaaaaa. Sorry sis, that's one of the ills of being a nigerian, living in nigeria. sad sad
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Apr 12, 2009
[size=15pt]NO ACER!!!

IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU!! [/size]

Stupid computer company!
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by flyuche(m): 9:25am On Apr 13, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

[size=15pt]NO ACER!!!

IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU!! [/size]

Stupid computer company!
do you want my home desktop on loan? grin
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by MrCrackles(m): 9:29am On Apr 13, 2009
Topic and Poster

HP is a trillion years better than acer

End off!
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
You get what you pay for. Always remember that. There is a reason
why those ACER stuff are cheaper than thier competitors: they use inferior
lower prized materials. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Apr 13, 2009
Acer is not cheap. . . .plz.
Depends on how much memory the laptop has.
But the company is shitty sha

flyuche:

do you want my home desktop on loan? grin
rotflmao. . . .sharrap dia grin grin

You're not up to date with this, my friend

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=dlattach;id=133322;type=avatar[/img]
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by MrCrackles(m): 10:44pm On Apr 13, 2009
ACER is TOSH-CRAP! grin
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by flyuche(m): 12:00am On Apr 14, 2009
@*toyinrayo. there is a reason acer is the no. 1 laptop vendor in asia and europe. ofcousre sh1t happens sometimes. i had a problem with my aspire webcam but had it replaced by Compuleb at Ikeja free.  there's an international warranty on acer products, if you have authentic invoice i don't see why you can't have your laptop fixed.  check out their TIMELINE range, they would blow  your mind away!
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:40pm On Apr 14, 2009
@Toyinrayo,
You've answered the question yourself. what do you expect from a company
that compromises on almost everything?
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Nobody: 3:39am On Apr 15, 2009
George_D:

@Toyinrayo,
You've answered the question yourself. what do you expect from a company
that compromises on almost everything?
The question was not mines.

compromises on everything? Kilo mean?

flyuche:

@*toyinrayo. there is a reason acer is the no. 1 laptop vendor in asia and europe. ofcousre sh1t happens sometimes. i had a problem with my aspire webcam but had it replaced by Compuleb at Ikeja free. there's an international warranty on acer products, if you have authentic invoice i don't see why you can't have your laptop fixed. check out their TIMELINE range, they would blow your mind away!
Oh really!

Will def check it out.

Ofcourse, you know I had an Acer laptop, which stopped working for God knows why undecided
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:59am On Apr 15, 2009
@Toyinrayo,
We all know these things, so no use pretending. ACER compromises on qualitity big time.
Take thier display screen for instance. I't's a heap of crap.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by oybv101: 9:11am On Apr 15, 2009
the real question is how much did toyinrayo pay for her acer pc?

anyone who buys a laptop $500 and below of any model/manufacturer may have issues.

theres a reason why they are called 'low end' or budget models

now, if an acer ferrari was misbehaving - then there'd be a clear case against acer.

note also that the still unresolved internet connectivity problem may not be due to the laptop per se. . .,
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Necorios(m): 9:53am On Apr 15, 2009
Abeg, can we compare we wey buy Hp 6735s to all those Acer, mentioned ealier?
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by lynxnoon(m): 1:09pm On Apr 15, 2009
I heard dose HP 6730s & 6735s have some factory errors like not readin or seeing attachable devices (e.g modem cards); may be driveqs issue
A friend woking @ starcoms said he has seen not less dan 10 laptops of dis series wit d same issue
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Necorios(m): 1:42pm On Apr 15, 2009
Dats disapointing, i will try 2 install some devices, like the modem u talk abt and c wat happens. will get bak to u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? / Choosing The Right Laptop For Gaming / 6 Awesome Hidden Things On Facebook...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.