Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,483 members, 7,812,497 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Advice on living in Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice on living in Nigeria (915 Views)

Please I Need Help On Living And Working In Seychelles / Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls / Any Nigerian Citizen Living In Egypt Or Libya?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice on living in Nigeria by Beefcake(m): 2:10am On Sep 17, 2008
Hello everyone! I've been reading the nairaland forums for a while now, but I've just recently decided to become a member. Chances are good that I will be moving to Nigeria for work purposes next year, so I've been surfing the forum for relevant information. I've also searched google extensively, or relatively at least.

Well eventually there comes a time when one has to ask real people these questions instead, but before I do I would like to request that people refrain from flaming me for simple questions. I am an ignorant foreigner who would like to know as much about your country as I can.  smiley

So here are my questions. Please answer as many as possible. I realise that there is no correct or incorrect answers but I would like to hear your opinions anyway. I am probably going to be based in Lagos, with work being in Victoria Islands.

[list]
[li]Food: What is the cost of food? Bread, milk, butter, sugar, coffee, meat, etc. The basics.[/li]
[li]Water: So bottled water is required for drinking, from what I've read. What about showering, is the tap water okay?[/li]
[li]Driver's Licence: I read on a thread that the 'normal' way to get them is to pay someone. Do the tests really take that long, and is the paying method also available to foreigners? [/li]
[li]Petrol: How much does it cost, and how readily available is it? [/li]
[li]Cars: Is it cheaper to buy a car in Nigeria or to buy one in South Africa or where ever and ship it down? [/li]
[li]Insurance: Which companies are reputable? [/li]
[li]Beaches: What is wrong with Nigeria's beaches? You've got a lot of coastline, so I find it hard to believe that there aren't many beaches. [/li]
[li]Kite surfing: I was thinking of starting this hobby but I obviously need large bodies of water for this. i.e. Beaches smiley What about the area around Vic Islands? I don't know, just wondering. [/li]
[li]Foreigners: Does my appearance betray this? If yes, will criminals target me more? [/li]
[li]Police bribes: Is this still relevant today? Is it expected to give a policeman who stops you some money or will they ask? If yes, what is the standard rate? [/li]
[li]Rebels: What is up with them? What are their motives, and should I be concerned? No, I am not in the oil industry. [/li]
[li]Language: I know English is the official language, but to what extent is it actually practiced? I can't speak other language like Yoruba. [/li]
[li]Accommodation: I think this will be provided for me, but if not what do nice one room apartments go for. Preferally tell me a rental and a purchase price. [/li]
[/list]

Phew ,  that was a lot of questions and if you are still reading then I thank you dearly. Even if you only know the answer to one or two of these questions I will like your reply.

Thanks guys (and girls) cheesy
Re: Advice on living in Nigeria by experts: 11:29am On Sep 19, 2008
if u re a forighner coming to leave in nigeria, i will advice u to come straight to abuja instead of lagos.
Re: Advice on living in Nigeria by experts: 11:30am On Sep 19, 2008
if i may ask., which country are u from?
Re: Advice on living in Nigeria by Firefire(m): 5:45pm On Sep 19, 2008
Dear Poster,
Kindly let us know the extent of this your Questionaires.
I believe all this question is for Academic purpose or for thesis.
Nairalander will be happy if you come out to tell us is for Academics,
However, all this question are answer on this site:- http://www.nigeria.com/;http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-the-fco/country-profiles/sub-saharan-africa/nigeria/;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria
Re: Advice on living in Nigeria by tRoOE(f): 5:56pm On Sep 19, 2008
Water: So bottled water is required for drinking, from what I've read. What about showering, is the tap water okay
[size=13pt]
Don’t take it offensive but that was a dumb question to ask undecided
Were you planning to use EVA water bottle to shower shocked
[/size]
Re: Advice on living in Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 6:30pm On Sep 19, 2008
no na konga water he go use
Re: Advice on living in Nigeria by Beefcake(m): 8:38pm On Sep 19, 2008
Where I live depends on where my work decides to place me. Right now I am just looking at some logistics.

I am from South Africa, guys. These questions are not for academic purposes, I really am trying to get as much information about Nigeria as I can. Over the past month I've actually learned quite a lot, especially the last three days.

Firefire -- I will check those websites out thanks. BUT the reason I asked on the forum was to get answers from real people, a lot of those semi-academic sites normally don't give a true reflection or an actual opinion.

tRoOE, I am sort of offended by your answer. Firstly, there is not such thing as a stupid question. I don't know why people drink bottled water up there. The water could be fine, but the supply could be low. The water could be non-potable. Whatever, you know. Also people can bath in rain water, or boil water if contains micro-organisms. So, no, I do not believe that my question is stupid.

So, from what I can tell is that there are two worlds in Nigeria. One you can live dirt cheap if you are a local. Two, you have to fork out an arm and a leg if you are used to European quality items. Beaches, I take that the currents are really strong - so few people actually swim there. Some areas there are no beach due to urbanisation, the beaches often overflow their banks flooding the roads.

People in Nigeria, from what I've heard are really very friendly. Which is great, because I like hanging out with people and making new friends. I am still interested in answers to those questions though, especially with regards to gifts for policemen. What is the acceptable amount and is it higher for foreigners?

Thanks for your answers.

(1) (Reply)

I Need To Book Flight To Australia / China Visa Help Needed / Us Currency Exchange For Naira Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.