Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane (8184 Views)

El-rufai's Eating Of Sugarcane In Public Justified By World Leaders (photos) / Governor El-rufai Eating Sugarcane (pic) / Kaduna Produces Fuel From Sugarcane! - El-Rufai (Dailytrust) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by bilymuse: 8:34am On Sep 17, 2008
[size=15pt]Kaduna produces fuel from sugarcane[/size]

THE Kaduna State government has commenced the production of fuel from sugarcane in an effort to develop alternative source of energy. The Commissioner for Science and Technology, Dr Sani Bello, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Kaduna that the pilot plant was producing 100 litres of bio-ethanol per day.

Bello said the state had spent over N15 million to build the project, adding that the government would expand the plant production to 300 litres per day soon.

He said the state government was also experimenting the use of maize and cassava as part of raw materials for the project. Bello said the current fuel grade after it was blended with petroleum product was 99.9 per cent bio-ethanol.

“We started with E10, which gave 10 per cent bio-ethanol and 90 per cent fuel and later E100, meaning 100 per cent bio-ethanol. “The product has been tested on internal combustion engine and yielded a good result,” Bello said.

The commissioner said the state government had also concluded plans to commence a bio-diesel pilot project through the use of jatropher plant. Bello stressed that the plant, when completed, would be producing over 300 litres of the commodity per day.

NAN learnt that over N90 million would be spent on the bio-diesel pilot project, which would soon take-off.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/17092008/news/news9.html
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by bilymuse: 8:35am On Sep 17, 2008
thank God for Nigeria, Kaduna has now become an oil producing state
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Ibime(m): 8:38am On Sep 17, 2008
Maybe they can now leave Niger Delta alone.

Anyway, do these people not follow World trends? Why invest in a technology which will be obsolete in 10 years. Japan are almost ready to start producing fuel from algae and another company is almost ready to produce fuel from Wood chippings.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by ishmael(m): 2:57pm On Sep 17, 2008
bilymuse:

thank God for Nigeria, Kaduna has now become an oil producing state

with 100 litres per day? abi i no read the news well? alternative fuel is good sha. northerners are trying if so. who says northerners are not educated?
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by jaybee3(m): 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2008
and i know a company that has developed a groundbreaking method for producing ethanol from almost any type of biomass or biowaste. This technology allows the production of lignocellulosic ethanol at low cost with many economic, social and environmental advantages.

Their flexible fermentation system is based on high temperature micro-organisms ideally suited to industrial scale production of ethanol.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by ssRhino: 3:40pm On Sep 17, 2008
With better technology and kinda terrain of lands that we have in Nigeria, Sugarcane cld be planted and production cld be increased, and nice to know that some pple are coming up with some initiatives.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2008
hungry
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by tpia: 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2008
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Pain(m): 5:46pm On Sep 17, 2008
Not Bad, Although I thought the would have started with Cow Dungs and Nunu. Nevertheless More grease to their El-bows and arrows tongue
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by bawomolo(m): 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2008
producing energy from landfill gas and animal dump(something abundant in Nigeria) seems like a better idea. in a time of food scacity, i'm not exactly a fan of diverting sugar-cane to fuel.

Anyway, do these people not follow World trends? Why invest in a technology which will be obsolete in 10 years. Japan are almost ready to start producing fuel from algae and another company is almost ready to produce fuel from Wood chippings.

the question isn't just the technology but how cost effective they are.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by ishmael(m): 6:58pm On Sep 17, 2008
bawomolo:

producing energy from landfill gas and animal dump(something abundant in Nigeria) seems like a better idea. in[b] a time of food scacity[/b], i'm not exactly a fan of diverting sugar-cane to fuel.

na sugar cane nigerians dey eat as breakfast, lunch and dinner? pls be happy for the north, atleast they have moved a step ahead.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Kobojunkie: 7:31pm On Sep 17, 2008
15 Million Naira = 300 Litres per day of bio-fuel?
Does this include maintainance cost? Great idea but I am not sure of the cost here.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Seun(m): 8:19pm On Sep 17, 2008
Interesting development, but not very important. I don't see the benefits of ethanol at all.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 8:24pm On Sep 17, 2008
Seun

for the very first time ever u've disappointed me. Dont tell me u dont know that 60% of the enrgy consumed in Brazil is gotten from Ethanol.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On Sep 17, 2008
I am curious, why do we need BioFuels in an oil rich country? Is this so we can actually help in cleaning up the environment? I believe that Ethanol has been shown as a pollutant, just as bad as regular gasoline. Independence for the north from Southern oil? What is this about?
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 8:47pm On Sep 17, 2008
crap. Ethanol pollution, ur chemistry teacher should be jailed
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Kobojunkie: 8:52pm On Sep 17, 2008
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Seun(m): 9:16pm On Sep 17, 2008
Dont tell me u don't know that 60% of the energy consumed in Brazil is gotten from Ethanol
Do they have oil? Do they have natural gas? Do they have a large population in a very small area?
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 9:22pm On Sep 17, 2008
Brazil is one of the world's leading producers of natural gas. OMG
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Arnold1(m): 9:23pm On Sep 17, 2008
From an energy self sufficiency stand point, its good news.

The thing is, kaduna cannot really export ethanol like oil and gas, so the sugar cane "fuel"
can't be used for foreign exchange.

Brazil may be self sufficient from its ethanol, but it does not sell it on the world
market.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 9:27pm On Sep 17, 2008
when it come to environmental friednliness, ethanlo is 5 times better than carbon fuel. It is also a renewal energy source. That is what we shd be aiming at. Anyway not 100litres per day, that is outrageous, that wont last my household enoguh for 2 days
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Kobojunkie: 9:29pm On Sep 17, 2008
That is not the case. Ethanol is not better.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 9:32pm On Sep 17, 2008
shows u ve never been into a science lab. Have u heard of the spirit lamp, it is used in most bilogical labs, cause it burns only the burn light which is alot more environmentally friendly than the carbon light.

U re 2 light years behind.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Sep 17, 2008
yemmyse:

shows u ve never been into a science lab. Have u heard of the spirit lamp, it is used in most bilogical labs, cause it burns only the burn light which is alot more environmentally friendly than the carbon light.

You re 2 light years behind.

Kobojunkie:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/03/tech/main508006.shtml

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=767585

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9647424

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/226/story/33945.html

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2007/04/ethanol_more_po.html

Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Seun(m): 9:40pm On Sep 17, 2008
Brazil is one of the world's leading producers of natural gas. OMG
Well natural gas doesn't count, since you can't run cars on natural gas.   My mistake.

In order to produce the ethanol you have to clear large areas of land, burn fuel in the tractor, burn fuel in the machine that crushes the sugar-cane, etc.  It's not necessarily cost-efficient, depending on the current price of oil. I would rather work on building local oil refineries and windmills and installing solar panels on every roof before thinking about ethanol, but that's just me.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 9:45pm On Sep 17, 2008
Jo now my dear, think. How much energy can u get from those. Yes, I know solar is quite viable but what extent can the available te chnology harness it. How best bet is biofuel. It is safe, renewal and controllable.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 9:46pm On Sep 17, 2008
Jo now my dear, think. How much energy can u get from those. Yes, I know solar is quite viable but what to extent can the available te chnology harness it. How best bet is biofuel. It is safe, renewal and controllable.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Seun(m): 9:51pm On Sep 17, 2008
You're right, I forgot biofuels. It's a way to kill two birds with one stone, but it can't power cars. In fact, solar energy and wind power can't power cars either. I shouldn't be mixing things up like this.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by Lady2(f): 11:15pm On Sep 17, 2008
producing energy from landfill gas and animal dump(something abundant in Nigeria) seems like a better idea. in a time of food scacity, i'm not exactly a fan of diverting sugar-cane to fuel.

Darn, you beat me to it. Let us not use food to power things before we use it to feed. It should be the other way round.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by RibaduFan(m): 11:31pm On Sep 17, 2008
when did sugar cane become a staple food
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by bawomolo(m): 11:35pm On Sep 17, 2008
na sugar cane nigerians dey eat as breakfast, lunch and dinner? please be happy for the north, atleast they have moved a step ahead.

sugar and salt are some of the most important components of peoples diet. have u checked out the dietary content of most of the stuff you buy from the store.  diverting sugar cane just to produce 300 barrels in a day doesn't make much sense to me.  there are garbage heaps around the country that could be harnessed rather than been allowed to turn to green house gas.  how cost effective is this project, would the kano state government acquire ethanol compatible cars or is this another chop and go project.  by the way, ethanol can't be transported through pipelines due to it's corrosive properties.  that's means nigeria would be forced to develop it's non-existent rail system if it wants to transform to an ethanol economy.  LNG can easily be used to fuel cars and trucks.   people forget biofuels are partly responsible for the increase in food prices.

when did sugar cane become a staple food

the cuban economy was once sustained by the export of sugar. sugar is indeed an important component of most people's diet.
Re: Kaduna State To Produce Fuel From Sugarcane by toladop(m): 11:44pm On Sep 17, 2008
The process of converting food to fuel is environmentally unfriendly. It causes more pollution than burning of conventional fuels

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Think Pdp Will Win Presidential Come 2015? / Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram / 2015 ELECTION RESULTS: JEGA Ignored Jonathan's Phone Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.