Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,977 members, 7,866,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:38 PM

The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! (2512 Views)

English Premier League Fixtures For This Weekend And Beyond / Which Football League Is The Best In The World? / Latest Footballnews:english Premier League Results For Matches Played Yesterday: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by lipuka(m): 7:39am On Sep 18, 2008
The English Premier League may be the most popular in the world, but English players are a load of rubbish. The league is popular because of clever marketing and publicity. Besides, with many people who read and speak English, and still have attachment to Englnd, the league will continue to be popular and the English Media will continue to exploit this.

First, look at English football players; they are promoted so much by their Press that we believe them to be the best. But when they are hired to play for other clubs outside England. they flop. They have never succeeded. And yet players from other countries perform well in England and elsewhere, and this includes African players.

The English may have invented football, but the last time they won the world Cup was in 1966 on home ground. They have not even been able to reach the finals.

The English players are better known for their drinking, bar fights and womanising.

In any case, the football clubs are performing well because of the many foreign players playing for them. Remove the foreign players and English football will die.
Re: The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by stanloski(m): 2:58pm On Oct 07, 2008
I agree with you!

English clubs do well in Champs League cos of the foreign contingent. English Clubs in Uefa cup (chumps league) have more english players thats why they always struggle.
I think some of the top clubs are really CLUBS IN ENGLAND RATHER THAN ENGLISH CLUBS!
Re: The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by dayokanu(m): 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2008
People would come out to say this guy is Dayokanu with another monicker I agree with everything you say about England but disagree on this

In any case, the football clubs are performing well because of the many foreign players playing for them. Remove the foreign players and English football will die.

Remove Kaka, Dinho, Seedorf, Pato from Milan

Nistelrooy, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Canavaro from Madrid

Messi Etoo, Henry, ABidal from Barca

Toni, Ribery, Lucio,and Ze Roberto from Bayern

and what do we have.

But I think the greatest culprits in Europe are Arsenal and Inter Milan
Re: The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by A40(m): 4:16pm On Oct 07, 2008
@poster of topic
You must be stuck in the medieval times have you not heard of the word Globalization!! which league does not have foreign players if you are complaining about the Premiership what would you say about the French Championnat?
If you no get wetin you go take argue make you go siddon
Re: The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by Tatase(f): 7:08pm On Oct 07, 2008
First I don't want to make it an argument of which league is best. Everyone has their favourite and it's really a personal choice. However, I do want to address your arguments as to why the English League is a "Load of Rubbish!"

If you have beef with the Premiership that's your own. I enjoy watching the Premiership because I find it interesting, I think of it as a separate entity entirely from the English National Team because it's a different thing completely. What's my own with the English national team? You can watch whatever league you find so amazing, that's your prerogative. I think it's fine and within your rights just to simply not like the Premiership but then your arguments for why the rest of us are sheepishly believing the hype of our colonial masters are a little bogus. E.g.

1.) It's because of English media hype that Premiership is so popular.
I don't agree because I think Super Sport on DSTV heavily hype the PSL and Cosafa castle cup and make it so it's what's on most of the time, and that doesn't make it popular. I still don't think the league is good and I don't know anyone in my circle who excitedly follows the PSL or argues about Sundowns vs. Maroko Swallows y'know.

2.) Remove foreign players and English league would die.
This is true of any league. Remove foreign players from any league and most would probably collapse to an extent. Apart from maybe Arsenal, I can't think of any English league team that does not include English players amongst its top stars. You might say England underperforms as a national team but a.) that has nothing to do with the strength of their league as evinced by regular good performances in the UCL and b.) that's none of my business as a non-English premiership fan who has their own national team they support and c.) think: success in a national team does not make a successful league e.g. look at the african teams who made it to the last world cup, how much do you know about Togolese league or Ghanaian league, I'm not saying these leagues are bad but I'm asking if they are the best in Africa simply because the national teams of these countries made it to the last world cup.

3.) The globalization and football issue.
Most leagues that are any good have foreign players as the backbone. Look at the best teams and please identify the ones that are entirely composed of indigenous players. You won't really find any. Let's not get into semantics, it can be said of most top European teams that they are international clubs located within the country but really their location, history, registration and primary fanbase identifies them as being from that country. If you want to get into it, lets not even talk club teams, look at the french national team, and decide how many indiginous french players (not of caribbean or maghrebin origin) have been in their top team in the period since their success began (i.e. late 90s). It's a football club, not a national club, players have been playing abroad for decades even in the olden days. Let's not prehistoric. Let's recognize times are changing. I think it makes the quality of football better personally because people are beginnig to learn different skills which they can bring home to their national teams.

4.) Players from outside England always do well in the Premiership.
I don't think this is an absolute. It depends on a players adaptability to the style of football played in the premiership. E.g. English football is played on the wings if you're from a Latin American/Spanish tradition where you dribble through the center and hold on to the ball more, you're not going to be able to cope. Same if you're from and English team, where the game is more of a passing game than an on-the-ball game, it may be difficult to adapt to holding on to the ball for a prolonged perion.  It has to do with style of football and many a latin american or african player has not made it in English football because they can't adapt or fit into the style which premiership teams play.

And also just a couple of corrections of some of your generalizations:

The English A lot of players are better known for their drinking, bar fights and womanising.

Many football fans choose to participate in drinking and bar fights.

Additionally, many men are known for their drinking, bar fights and womanizing.
Re: The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by lipuka(m): 8:01am On Oct 12, 2008
And English football clubs must be English. You see them being bought by foreigners. Something wrong somewhere
Re: The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by Bobbyb(m): 12:35am On Oct 16, 2008
Pls guys dis topic is quite very nonsensical, so pls is jst better 2 end d topic.
Re: The English Premier League Is A Load Of Rubbish! by lipuka(m): 7:11am On Oct 16, 2008
So why don't you just ignore it and read something else?

(1) (Reply)

Shocking Article About Fernando Torres And The Reason For His Decline / Why Resignation Is John Terry's Best Option - And Who Should Replace Him / Hail Rooney-the King Of Diving Yet Uefa Bans Eduardo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.