Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip - TV/Movies (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (127044 Views)

Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards.Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (PT2) / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (Go Down)

Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 9:00am On Apr 26, 2010
"Avatar (2009)" sells 6.7 million DVDs in 4 days. shocked
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2010
Lol. Sherlock Holmes wasn't that bad. It's when you start treating it like a masterpiece that it turns dour. Treat it like any of Guy Ritchie's carefree, not-too-much-attention-for-detail outings and it just becomes another Guy Ritchie film. I've read almost all of the Holmes books and it pays it absolutely no justice. It's not so much not portraying the excellent characters of Holmes and Watson but redefining their images. I thought Watson's love interest was very beautiful. I abhor the thought of Brad Pitt in England. Finish it jare.

I've not yet seen Shutter Island

Obinna, which year is Breakup Plan? Lol. Nothing J-Lo is in gets favourable reviews even if it turns out ok. Her best film is Angel Eyes jo.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 12:28pm On Apr 26, 2010
@vescucci
"The Back-Up Plan" is a new film. It came out last Friday. People dey vex for the film the same way dem dey vex for "Clash of the Titans (2010)".
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by justkunmi(m): 1:14pm On Apr 26, 2010
J Lo? Is she bored again? Cos she only does movies when she's tired of sellin perfumes. .
Can't even bother myself with the movie. Best she did was 'Enough'. . Vesc.
Or wasn't she the one in Enough where she killed her husband. .??

Vesc. . How's u?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 1:37pm On Apr 26, 2010
The only Jennifer Lopez movies I like are "Selena (1997)", "Out of Sight (1998)" & "Enough (2002)".
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 5:41pm On Apr 26, 2010
I can't believe I'm talking about J-Lo. What's the name of the one she was in with Sean Penn?

Lol. Oh Obinna. You're like a better version of me. I meant why didn't you call J-Lo's film, The Breakup Plan (2010) as usual? I didn't really mean it when I said you shouldn't post your top 20 na. Please post it, sir.

Jk. I'm fine. Thank you for asking. Fewer and fewer people ask me that nowadays. It's alarming. I'm sure your period key misses you like frak
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by justkunmi(m): 6:31pm On Apr 26, 2010
It sure misses me. On NL that is. .
Spikey told me bout Sidibe. .
Sure you're good. .
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 11:13pm On Apr 26, 2010
"The Back-Up Plan" and "The Losers" had disappointing opening weekends at the U.S. Box Office.
"The Back-Up Plan" debuted at No. 2 making $12.2 million and "The Losers" debuted at No. 4 making $9.4 million.
"How To Train Your Dragon" is at No. 1 making $15.3 million over the weekend.

"How To Train Your Dragon" has made $355 million worldwide so far.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 2:27am On Apr 27, 2010
Ah. The Eagle has caught on. Lol. Spikey has trouble telling when she's in her waking state or not. Sidibe is a wonderful woman, I'm sure. More than enough for me. I really don't like making fun of her though.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by justkunmi(m): 8:36am On Apr 27, 2010
I think you jus did. . Lol
More than enough. .!? Lolz
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 8:52am On Apr 27, 2010
@vescucci
Why you dey post the same thing two times? undecided
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2010
Mad_Max:

SHUTTER ISLAND
Leonardo Di Caprio, Ben Kingsley, Mark Ruffalo.

The boat ride. The doors that opened on cue and people came in. At first I thought, why is Scorcese being so obvious? Why is he trying so hard to make this be a thriller? The story was interesting and I sat it through. And then everything CHANGES. Then you see WHY he was obvious. I did not see this coming.

Now the movie has one or two flaws. Sometimes he tries too hard for atmosphere. Sometimes the scenes don't segue into the next smoothly.
But oh my. Oh MY!
Scorcese, you are a directing god.
Wow.

Brilliant!
I was particularly pleased because my colleague was mad at me for making her see a movie she didn't understand. She didn't talk to me for days and it was satisfying knowing that I only had the pleasure of enjoying the movie.
cheesy
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 7:31pm On Apr 27, 2010
@spikedcylinder
Thanks for amending Vescucci posts. wink Tell your friend make e take am easy with Shutter Island. If e no undastand the first time, watch it the second time.
[size=4pt]I watched "Shutter Island" twice and I thought I was going bunkers.[/size] shocked
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 1:42am On Apr 28, 2010
But what's confusing about Shutter Island? They explained at the end. They not only tell you, they show you. And Di Caprio coolly makes his choice, knowing all the facts. Mebbe your colleague wasn't following the plot and got lost.

Frak, Vesc? A hallowed word in SciFi-land. Don't take it in vain. Seen Battlestar Galactica, have you?My opinion on Sherlock Holmes stands. Directing was amateurish. Ritchie's a yo-yo.  I liked Law's Watson, but why twist classic characters beyond recognition? Leave them the way they are, or invent your own. He changed Sherlock just because he could. Ang Lee is beauty and power. Nolan is darkness. Spielberg is light. Tarantino is violent art form and nonconformist filmmaking. George Miller is unrivalled genius at animal characters. Cameron is visual innovation always, as is Jackson. Demme gets into his characters heads. Scorcese is complete mastery of the art, like Hitchcock. Ritchie is none of those things. He's sometimes good, but he plies the same trade as those, and he'll be judged by the same standards. I detest shoddy directing. Those deadly little giveaways that add up. It's the first thing I notice. I couldn't finish Golden Compass for the same reason, and Craig was in it.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 9:48pm On Apr 28, 2010
Lol. Max. You'll give yourself a heart attack that way. Thank the frakking Lords of Kobol (Gods-damn them, bite me) you haven't read the books. If you had, your contempt would have been absolute. Ritchie amuses me. He's definitely not a great. Maybe his major undoing is his rigidity. Sherlock Holmes was funny, almost farcical. Downey's Golden Globe is ridiculous. I like the way you symbolized those directors. Isn't Demme a one-timer though? Like Minghella?

I saw Hurt Locker and An Education. Impressed in spite of myself with the former. I'll post reviews later.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by justkunmi(m): 1:04pm On Apr 29, 2010
Max.
nice summary of those directors. But you weren't fair to Ritchie. He has done a lot more good than terrible movies. Even if he does them unintentionally.
McGuigan not in there? He's a fraud. He stole my heart with one movie and shattered it with the next.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 3:02pm On Apr 29, 2010
Who's McGuigan? Sorry. Which are his movies? Oh. I forgot Uwe Boll. There are people who would pay to murder that guy. Seriously.
As for Ritchie, I love SNATCH and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Snatch's villain is one of my all-time favourites. I didn't know who directed Sherlock when I left it in disgust. Directing was amateurish. Get better and better at your craft or get lost.

Vesc. Was Battlestar riveting or what? Don't hold back. Tell me all about it. cheesy
Minghella delivered absolute perfection in The English Patient. Perfection, Vesc. Along with LOTR, it's the most flawless movie I've ever seen. I don't know that you can be a one-timer with that kind of talent. More like he rarely has the right material to work with. But he's got the stuff all right. Demme knows his characters. He's really talented. I thought he was a one-timer too till I saw Rachel Getting Married.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 3:29pm On Apr 29, 2010
Lol. Calm down. I'm a ways into season 3, when I finish the whole lot, we'll compare notes.

Ritchie is rigid. All his films are an extension of his cockney foible. It gets tiring
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by justkunmi(m): 3:49pm On Apr 29, 2010
Max.
True. I know people who would love to kill the guy. He's a Arrow.
I've confirmed he luckily did Lucky Number Slevin. . Or Ritchie had a hand in it.
Cos the idiot went on to do Push. Very stupid movie. .

Have u seen Rock n' Rolla? Ritchie did well doing that movie. .
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 4:01pm On Apr 29, 2010
@JK
Guy Ritchie was not involved with Lucky Number Slevin in anyway. Paul McGuain just used Ritchie's style.
[size=4pt]"Push (2009)". lol. grin Mumu film tongue[/size]
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 4:02pm On Apr 29, 2010
Abi o. They just went to dent my Dakota's dossier.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 4:25pm On Apr 29, 2010
JK,I meant people want to 'murder' Uwe Boll, not the McGuigan guy.Remember Cannibal Holocaust?I hate the movie but the director is a demented genius. He had to flee his country for five years after that movie. It was either he leaves his country or he leaves this world.People were after his life.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by doyin13(m): 4:54pm On Apr 29, 2010
Uwe Bolll. . . . Lol. His life story would make a good film. Financed through funds readily available because of loopholes in German tax laws of course.

Don't know about demented genius sha. . . . I suggest a real life ''Mr Burns''.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 9:15pm On Apr 29, 2010
Lol. Uwe didn't make Cannibal Holocaust, though. That was just an aside. Boll is a terror to eyeballs everywhere. Hell is an eternity of his movies.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 12:25pm On Apr 30, 2010
Mad_Max:

That was just an aside. Boll is a terror to eyeballs everywhere. Hell is an eternity of his movies.
LWKMD cheesy grin grin

Uwe Boll should be inaugurated into the Hollywood Hall of Shame.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 2:59pm On Apr 30, 2010
An Education

Doyin. You spoilt this film for me small. I was watching and forgot that I was supposed to be enjoying myself and not assessing it. Anyways, I snapped out of it soon enough. The film is supposed to be set in the late 40s or early 50s as the memories of WWII seems to be fresh. Asides from the cars, nothing really impressed the date upon me. Above average performance from ALL the actors but my laurel goes to Alfred Molina who sounded more English than even Tilda Swinton. If this guy were in more successful and artful films, he'd be right up there rubbing shoulders with Anthony Hopkins and company in my book. I was very pissed with the girl who obviously is brilliant but seems to be more interested in the arts. I'd think that at Oxford, one could be as artistic as one likes. No wonder I never got the interest of girls while I was growing up. They were busy fawning over the geriatrics. This was a good film but it'd have been better in the hands of someone like Sam Mendes.

Best part of the film. A snippet:

Headmistress: you are aware that I take it the jews killed our Lord.

Schoolgirl: and you are aware I suppose our Lord was Jewish

Later

Schoolgirl: I purpose you think I'm a ruined woman

Headmistress: you're not a woman

How can you argue with that?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 7:12am On May 01, 2010
The Hurt Locker

Personally I do not think this movie deserves all the acclaim and pean. The beginning was quite riveting but the lead actor just turned out to be the redneck with an adrenaline deficiency as he was made out to be. There were no characters I could relate to. The story sef no trip me. Those hot heads in Iraq sef don't leave bombs like that around hoping that U.S. soldiers will come upon them. I think the film should have won for technicality cuz I liked what I saw. Cinematography was quite good. After one hour I was dozing and waking so it's possible I missed the best parts but I doubt that. I'd say the film's major flaw was lacking a bad guy. Dialogue was wack jare. The only lesson I learnt in the movie is that violence begets more violence. Kai. Not a bad film but absolutely not the best film of 2009. God!

@JK. Is JeSoul ok? Abi she got kidnapped by some crazies who think they're torturing her by putting Norbit on repeat and making her watch every bit? Pun intended.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 10:22am On May 01, 2010
obinna5000:

Uwe Boll should be inaugurated into the Hollywood Hall of Shame.

The Hall of Shame. You do him too much honour. You need some shame for the hall of shame, just like you need some fame for the hall of fame. Uwe Boll has no shame.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by obinna5000(m): 9:30pm On May 03, 2010
"Banana Leaves" starring Ghanian-American actor Michael Blackson debuts at the Silverbird Cinemas.

"Iron Man 2" has made over $100 million worldwide in 53 overseas territories so far.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 4:57pm On May 05, 2010
You want my love
Take it all
You want to watch it all come off
Take it all
Come on now, show me how
You take it all
You want my glove, are you enthralled?
You want to see it slip away and watch it fall?
Oh we know, its your show
So take it all

So go ahead, take it all
You want my soul? Take it all!
Its time to leave, if I'm to live
Because I have no more, there's nothing left to give

I watch you rise, I watch you fall
While I am standing with my back against the wall
Now its your turn, to finally learn
You had the world, you had your fling
you wanted more than everything
You got your wish, you got your prize
Now take it right between your thighs
You grabbed for everything, my friend
but don't you see that in the end
There will be nothing!

Nice movie, that Nine. grin
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 5:45pm On May 05, 2010
Ahem. Do you feel like thanking anyone? No? Are you sure? Yes? Huh? Ok, I thought you said no.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 05, 2010
I love the Inglorious Bastards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100)

Photos: Meet Big Brother Nigeria 2017 Housemates / What Was The Last Movie You Watched - Part 2 / Bbtitans: Ipeleng And Lukay Have Sex In The House (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.