Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,898 members, 7,814,037 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

The Revolt Of Virginity - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Revolt Of Virginity (1333 Views)

How Fr. Paul Broke My Virginity And Led Me Astray / Daily Revolt,thats The World...picture The Scene As You Read On / Lost Of Virginity; An Early Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Revolt Of Virginity by geolabious(m): 9:29pm On Sep 18, 2008
[b]The revolt of virginity
By Rotimi Martyns

Do you know that more and more boys and girls in a 21st century world are choosing to wait? 'Wait for what?' I can hear someone say. Wait for sex! There is a quiet revolution by thousands of teenagers who have refused to succumb to the sexual pressures from the media and condom campaigns. They have shocked the adults and proved that young people are not only interested in sexual activities. No, they did not take an oath, neither did they sign a contract, and no, they are not wearing virginity arm bands and bracelets to tell the whole world about it. So what did they do?

They simply promised themselves to embark on the safest sex: Virginity! They refused to be cajoled and lulled to the precipice of sexual licentiousness unlike their unfortunate peers who took the bait. So who are these young revolutionists and where are they? Just open your eyes and look around you. Do you see all those funky boys and girls, some of them with six earring holes, purple hair and ripped jeans? Yes, it is those crazy teenagers who have taken virginity by storm. Contrary to what we are made to believe, not everybody is embarking on the wild ride of sex. As many young people as have thrown their virginity away, there are also many teenagers who are preserving themselves and proudly riding on the elegant horse of virginity.

I usually do not allow myself to be dragged into controversies but it is difficult not to get involved when crucial issues are in question. Ready or not one just has to get into the fray. Mr Leo Igwe's piece titled "Sex, and Virginity Scandal in Africa" published in The Guardian of July 19, 2006 is the most outrageous article I have read in ages. I do not wish to recall the pot pourri of arguments he used to try to discredit virginity. As it is common with such arguments, he naturally labels virginity as an unreachable target, a sort of mirage which young people are forced to chase.

Although the Africans have always outlandishly claimed the pride of virginity, every human society over the centuries have always celebrated the exalted state of virginity as a salt of self-preservation. Virginity has always felt at home in every community, African or not. Virginity is global and modern after all! Forty years on since the sexual revolution of the 60s more and more families and young people re-discovering this beautiful virtue which ensures the integrity of a person. Just as a camel cannot pass through the eye of a needle, it is impossible for some people especially self-proclaimed humanists to understand that man is not a mere physical entity. A human person has intelligence and will with which he governs his body. Hence it is gross misinformation to continue to speak about sex as though it was a purely physical entity from which one suffers uncontrollably. Of course a young man or woman who has been brought up to think that sex is 'an itch he has got to scratch' will not understand the first thing about self control and decision-making. Parents bring up their children to control all their appetites, sex being one of them.

Virginity is a choice that truly liberates an individual's body and spirit. Our young people who have already had their sexual debut and are sexually active, are not at peace, as they suffer the anxiety of a legion of medically unclassified sexually transmitted infections HIV/AIDS is not the only thing you can catch out there. There is no well-meaning parent who will wish this upon her daughter or son. It is much easier to handout condoms to a boy but a parent will choose to painstakingly mould the character of his son or daughter so that they can make mature decisions about life issues.

I work with young people and I know that teenagers only need to be guided to make good decisions. Only an irresponsible adult would demoralize young people by denying them the chance to try to preserve themselves. It is most irresponsible to offer a child a condom and hope that he or she remains a virgin. And yes, sexuality education in chastity and virginity is absolutely incompatible with the licentious condom education, sorry, condom seduction. Who does not know that condom seduction only steers these teens into the cul de sac of debauchery.

It brainwashes them to think that they are beasts that must succumb to the 'uncontrollable' urge to have sex anywhere, any time, and anyhow. And so before our youngster are barely out of their cots they are experimenting with sex. Instead of marvelling at the uniqueness of their sexuality they are indoctrinated to be ashamed of virginity, and they begin to indulge in sexual adventures which will maim them for life. What do we get? A generation of men and women who will go into marriage with 'worn out bodies and disillusioned souls!'

People will remain 'free' to continue to brandish and glorify the condom. But those who are absolutely and truly free par excellence are those boys and girls who have chosen the way of personal integrity and chastity rather than drink from the murky water of sexual depravity. You only need to listen to resounding drumbeat of the revolution of virginity drowning out the hoarse sexual revolution of the 60s that swept many people off their feet, and out of their minds. Let all the young people who have ears to hear be told the truth that what they should be wearing when they embark on safest sex is not a piece of thin latex rubber condom, but a wedding band!
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

We Kiss Goodbye On A Silent Morning / A Mock Biography Of Flow1759, To Commemorate His Birthday. / Eulogy For Chinua Achebe On World's Poetry Day (march 21)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.