Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,620 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Any Nigerian Women In Programming? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Any Nigerian Women In Programming? (1976 Views)

Become A Pro In Programming For Only N6000 / What Do You Hate Most In Programming / Sayo Oladeji Wins N1m In Programming Contest (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by Ogisosoft(m): 6:46pm On Jul 08, 2006
pls i want to know the contribution of women(girls) here in nigeria in programming.
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by kenshin(m): 8:13pm On Jul 08, 2006
They are trying, I know of a few who actually like Software development, some don't like it because it makes them 'rack' their brains too hard
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by onydchic(f): 11:38pm On Jul 08, 2006
actually i know a couple of female programmers who r quite good. i used to program quite well myself but lost interest. now i just reserve d programmin for web apps
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by sbucareer(f): 1:11am On Jul 09, 2006

Most of the women I know and work with don't really like Programming not that they can't program but find it very hard to keep cracking their brain, which is what programming is.

Most women I know works in QA (Quality Assurance) department. These are the testers, we the programmers create the bugs, they find it and fix it before software goes life deployment, incase you do not know what QA was.

In the UK, I will say half of the women in IT are QA's and Oracle DBA. Most of them are Nigerians. But many of them were born British. Anyway, I'd like to see a serious Nigeria female in corelation to IT in the IT forum of Nairaland living and working in Nigeria.

Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by kenshin(m): 8:11am On Jul 09, 2006
But why do they dislike cracking their brains? any lady programmer in the house?
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by onydchic(f): 11:10am On Jul 09, 2006
i can program in vb. and i'm learnin others.
i admit many women dont fancy programmin, but to say cos they cant 'crack their brains' is silly. there are guys out there, many, that dont program, does that make them simple minded? some ladies that tried it just find it boring.
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by IAH(f): 11:37am On Jul 09, 2006
I'm quite comfortable with C/C++ at this stage. Still learning though.
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by smartsoft(m): 8:32pm On Jul 09, 2006
i know most of them one of my friend she is good at it infact she is really doing well, hey ruky where are thy ?? con show ur self here ooooo
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by DoMH: 4:07am On Jul 10, 2006
many
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by runsaway: 8:03am On Jul 10, 2006
i use java, c and vb comfortably.

maybe many women dont programm cause they are better at debugging; so they let the men write and they debug. (women are quiet good at pointing out ur mistakes, a natural flair.)
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by amoke115: 12:13pm On Jul 10, 2006
i have a very good friend that is Oracle Dba but she is gradually becoming a programmer
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by duttybarb(f): 3:24pm On Jul 10, 2006
im a woman and i program. ive had a lot of experience wit it. PROGRAMMING IS GRUELLIN. it takes a lot of patience to get it rite as difficult as dt is. It requires skill and patience, it has nothn to do wit sex. so get it rite!
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by Bossman(m): 4:24pm On Jul 10, 2006
This does not only apply to Nigerian women and it has nothing to do with cracking their brain". Generally, there are more men than women in fields such as Engineering, application development, etc. But, more and more women have been getting into these fields. There are more women in these fields today than there ever was, at least here in th US. It's just a matter of time before we see more Nigerian ladies (based in Nigeria) get into the field. I have been in this field for quite some time, and I have come across quite a few female Nigerian application developers during this period. 

I kind of noticed there are hardly any female posters to any of the programming forums here. At the same time, I do not think there are a lot of female engineers based in Nigeria. The society and our schools may have something to do with it. I guess, in NNigeria these fields are just not seen as female oriented. But, the Nigerian females that do venture into these fields are usually very good at it. At least the ones I have come across are.
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by doshbass(m): 4:31pm On Jul 10, 2006
I am sure there are a lot of women who would love to date software programmers than women being software programmers. grin
To be quite serious, when I was in University I hardly came across any good female programmer, most of them get we guys to do it for them in exchange for something else
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by tallibee(m): 5:19pm On Jul 10, 2006
ya! i know ladies who are into programming but they aint social at all. all what they know is readingggggg! angry
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by kimba(m): 3:01am On Jul 11, 2006
who told you Nigerian women are not into programming.

They might not be programming computers, they are good in guys-programming, grin grin
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by c0dec(m): 7:46am On Jul 13, 2006
it's all about interest and for some reason made in heaven, most women are not interested.

IAH:

I'm quite comfortable with C/C++ at this stage. Still learning though.
O RLY?
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by dakmanzero(m): 3:23pm On Jul 14, 2006
You are absolutely right, c0dec

I once tutored a girl on programming in school. she was a natural, took to everything instantly, was so intuitive it was scary. I was like' u know uu are a born programmer?'

she was like shhe has absolutely no interest and will never do it once she passes the exam.

in general thats the attitude most women i know have to coding. even at my place of work, we have a girl who passed the mcsd, went to great lengths to get herself redeployed to the programming unit. after like 2 weeks she was like she HATES it and want out. This is someone who had been writing and passing exams on coding for as long as we knew her

xx chromosome does not like to code, even if it likes computers, it seems
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by judy4all: 5:40am On Nov 30, 2008
Well, i am a Nigerian woman and ive been a developer for the last 5 yrs of my life, you either like or you dont, just like math, i know a bunch of women that are great at it too,

And no, you dont have to read as much in programming, most of it is just difference in Syntax, and once you catch on to one, you can pretty much teach yourself the others, best way to learn is solving actual problems, and lots of practice,

i do java, c, c++, c#, php, perl, shell scripting, vb, as i said, u use it when u need it, I'm surprised that pple liken programming to cracking brains, maybe it is, but it isnt worse than any other field out there,
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by Seun(m): 3:38am On Nov 25, 2010
What about now? Do women still code?
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by instinctg(m): 8:27am On Nov 25, 2010
@seun
too much hasnt changed.at a recent interview, i learnt the employers didnt have interest in female coders.i think they considered d tasks too strenous for them. E.G late nights and overnight coding sessions. undecided
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by candylips(m): 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2010
maybe thats the reason
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by xoxogg(f): 9:29am On Nov 26, 2010
yes, i'm a lady programmer, i 'm currently switching from vb to c#
Re: Any Nigerian Women In Programming? by candylips(m): 12:32pm On Nov 26, 2010
correct

(1) (Reply)

PHP Developers, How True Is This Statements. / Learn How To Program Without Going To School / Africans And Nigerians On The Dark Web

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.