Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,570 members, 7,820,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave (26746 Views)

44 Countries You Can Travel To With No Visa From Nigeria. / List Of Countries Nigeria Passport Holders Can Travel Visa Free / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by Obalende: 10:12pm On Sep 21, 2008
Hi People,

I just came across this info so i thought i should share.

I have learnt, if you hold certain UK visa/residence permit valid for 6 months or more, you can visit switzerland without any visa.

Supporting links:

http://ch.vfsglobal.co.uk/faq.aspx

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/etc/medialib/data/migration/einreise/Ausweis-_und_Visumvorschriften/aufenthaltstitel_fuer.Par.0009.File.tmp/GB.pdf

I also hear people wishing to make use of this opportunity should do so sharp sharp before they join EU:

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/etc/medialib/data/migration/einreise/Ausweis-_und_Visumvorschriften/aufenthaltstitel_fuer.Par.0009.File.tmp/GB.pdf

its especially good if you want to explore a new country, learn a new language (they have 3 official languages- German,
French,Italian) or open a swiss bank account  (joke).
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by suprted(m): 8:40am On Sep 22, 2008
switzerland isn't joining the EU anytime soon.
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by jacq(f): 5:45pm On Sep 22, 2008
that is one place i would like to vist if i knew anyone there cool
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by Kc0022000(m): 1:00pm On Sep 23, 2008
jacq:

that is one place i would like to vist if i knew anyone there  cool

Come visit me anytime, Zürich is 30mins drive any from me, which is on the German side
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by muyiwabank(m): 9:13am On Sep 26, 2008
i just heard the information yesterday too
and im planning to be there this xmas
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by kadman(m): 10:25am On Sep 26, 2008
How confirmed is this ? So I can enter Switzerland with 6 months UK visiting visa ??
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by landis(m): 10:35am On Sep 26, 2008
I have a valid UK tourist or visitor's visa valid for six months or more. Do I need a visa for Switzerland?

Passport holders with multiples UK C visitors visa need a Swiss visa unless their national passport allows them to travel without a Swiss visa to Switzerland (see Question 4).

Swiss visas must be applied for and obtained from the Swiss Embassy/Consulate in the country of residence. The Swiss Embassy in London is NOT authorised to issue Swiss visas to multiple UK visitors visa holders.
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by Tats(m): 11:45pm On Sep 26, 2008
kadman:

How confirmed is this ? So I can enter Switzerland with 6 months UK visiting visa ??

It is confirmed but only valid for UK residents. Applicable to Students, Work permit holders, employment visa holders, e.t.c. As long as you have a valid resident visa and not visitors visa. Switzerland is set to join Schengen rule (but not EU) very soon so you have a chance to visit now or get a visa in the near future! http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/travelling/schengen-area/index_en.html

Here is a response from the Swiss embassy to my inquiry and I have already visited the country without issues. They will however scrutinize the visa on entry with whatever you cannot see behind their desk. This is especially in the case where you hold a Nigerian passport. Note that they will not stamp your passport on entry or exit. Only when you return to the UK will your passport be stamped by UK immigration. You also have to travel with a direct flight especially if you don't have a Schengen visa. Should you go to the city of Geneva which shares a border with France and is very close, do not make the mistake of going into France as you may be deported if caught! The risk is not worth taking:

Dear Sir / Madam

The attached document confirms that if you hold a valid UK Entry Clearance and a valid national passport, you do not require a visa to travel to Switzerland.

Yours faithfully

Embassy of Switzerland

16-18 Montagu Place
London W1H 2BQ
Great Britain
Tel.: +44 (0)207 616 6000
Fax: +44 (0)207 723 9581
mailto:swissembassy@lon.rep.admin.ch
webpage: www.eda.admin.ch/london

Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by kadman(m): 2:44pm On Sep 27, 2008
@ Tat's & Landis

Thanks for the clear up, you guys possibly saved me from being deported at Zurich angry
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by Tats(m): 1:44am On Dec 09, 2008
It is official. Days of free entry to Switzerland for UK residents who do not hold visa free passports are over!
Switzerland has joined the Schengen agreement so its now the same lengthy process to get the Schengen visa for entry to Switzerland and other European countries.

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/eur/vgbr/ref_visinf/visgbr/impnot.html
Re: You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave by Obalende: 1:11am On Dec 10, 2008
good things don't last long! bad news.

these embassy guys eyes "de red for money" oh. £1.50 for appointment booking line + like $90(roughly) visa app fee.

(1) (Reply)

10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... / Is It Only Those That Did Science Related Courses That Get Jobs Abroad? / Occupants Of Car Crushed By 40-Foot Container In Lagos Speak Out After Survial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.