Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,364 members, 7,843,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (238) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (501077 Views)

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) ... (784) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Banderas(m): 11:59am On Aug 17, 2007
Somze - everyone has ignored the MAJOR stumbling block that Chelski has. also their greatest strength. His name is Jose Mourinho. Man U can afford to lose 5 consecutive matches and come 4th in the league, Fergie's position is untouchable. Same for Wenger, and arguably Benitez. Not Chelsea. The moment your manager falls to peices, your season is going to crumble.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Drogba is an amazing player, but he's one player. If chelsea doesn't have Essien, they WILL SUFFER against the top 7 teams.

Tevez? West ham? Are you guys okay?

These are the biggest clubs in the premiership in terms of club size (traditionally)

1- Man U
2 - Liverpool
3 - Arsenal
4 - Man City
5 - West Ham
6 - Tottenham
7 - Newcastle
8 - Chelsea

Of course, chelsea now has it's new fan base, that haven't yet been tested with more than 3 seasons without silverware, so currently, they'll probably stand between 3 and 4.

My point is this - West Ham has constantly underperformed. They had the best young team in the premiership, apart from Arsenal, and don't forget that they almost beat Liverpool in the FA cup the season before. West Ham is a big team, lets be clear about that.

Tevez - come on guys, he is from Argentina, a country which along with Brazil exports the most footballers to Europe. He wasn't discovered like Messi simply because he wasn't as good. He will NEVER be as good as Man U is expecting him to be, though he will definitely be good enough.

Jackal - Define strength in depth, what does that mean? What is your definition of that? Apart from Gerrard for liverpool, there are few positions where there is no cover. Same as Arsenal. And even for Chelsea, I could name 3 people who if injured together will totally end Chelsea's trophy hopes for the season. So nobody has this strength in depth that you speak about.

Jackal, can
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by niniman(m): 12:25pm On Aug 17, 2007
Don't panic says the Gaffer to all true fans

United may have drawn the first two league games of the season but Sir Alex insists it's no cause for alarm.

"I’m looking at the performances of the team in the first two games and saying to my players, ‘Well done’," the boss said at Friday's press conference.

"We’re dropping points and that’s disappointing and frustrating because the performance levels have been very good. The important thing is to be patient now. The situation is recoverable, of course."
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Jackal(m): 1:22pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ Banderas,

Strength in depth is the ability of a team to draft one or 2 fringe players to cover up and effectively replace a 1st team member.
Judging from the number of Man Utd players that are crocked . . . . .Its a miracle how they still manage to outplay teams but scoring has been the problem because there's no target man as a centre-forward.(This is why i wanted Huntelaar + Torres).
RUUDIE, i warned u then . . . . .its 2 weeks and ma prediction is coming to pass.

However I don’t think that Tevez can really play at that traditional centre forward position
He is more a roaming forward who is most effective playing in the area between the opposing defence and their midfield. More like Rooney.
Ferguson has got two similar players there and he will have to work out a formation if he intends to play them together.
But one thing is for sure Tevez will add a tremendous amount of flexibility in terms of playing formations. And indeed as high quality cover.
Man Utd have goal sources from all over the pitch but I still think that they really need another tall and strong front target man.
I would not therefore rule out another surprise signing from Alex Ferguson (especially in the January window if events demand it).
If this happens then Man Utd will have the most potent forward line in the Premiership without a doubt.

Nani and Anderson are too young and inexperienced (especially in the Premiership) but they will make an impact this season. They are very skillful but they look  a little bit overpriced to me. Who isn't these days? SWP is £21 mill. Daniel Alves is pushing for £25 mill.
Nevertheless what they will add to the squad this season will be cover especially in the Cup games.
This will allow other important players very valuable rest and at the same time reduce the chances for the occurrence of injuries from too many games.
The addition of all these players will indeed add strength in depth which will prove extremely valuable come the latter and most significant stages of the football calendar.
Something which was so evidently missing last season.
Predicting that Manchester United will be there at the end is obvious but will they win it again? They look pretty strong to me(IF ALL CROCKED PLAYERS STAY FIT) and this is why i think most heads(KIT, LOYIKA, DEBOSKY and JACKMODU) on Nairaland are SCARED SHITLESS.

P.S.
You also claim Tevez wasn't discovered early because he wasn't as good as Messi. Thats the biggest goof  i have heard from Mr Banderas.
C'mon . . . . . . .Messi joined Barcelona at the age of 11. He had a growth hormone deficiency and his local club in Argentina couldnt pay for his bills. 
Barca was alerted and they offered to pay his medical bills if he's willing to start a new life with his parents in SPAIN.
That was how Messi came to Europe and that is simply a stroke of fate so don't compare him to Tevez in that respect
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2007
Jackal

I totall agree with you on some issues but I still maintain my point about Tevez. His similarity with Rooney is not a disadvantage. Infact, it should be put to good use. Like u said, Fergie can and should work out a formation to accomadate the 2 of them, but in the absence of Rooney, Anderson can suffice. . .

Hunterlaar or Torres, can be massive flops, you never can tell. But the dutch factor is on Hunterlaar's side.
And then again, the RVN issue comes to mind. . .And I think a lot has been said about that.

Anderson and Nani are young and still inexperienced in the EPL. But I have a personal problem with Nani. In the last 2 games he played, he was trying too hard to be a Ronaldo we already have.
No doubt the young lad has got some skills, but why play like Ronaldo.?
It was very obvious in his moves. At instances he was supposed to lay off some passes, he held on extra long to the ball. tryin to do some flicks and tricks. . .We already have that in Ronaldo.
If I were Nani, I would create my own style. My own profile. And do things my own way, not Ronaldo's way. By this, you play better and develop yourself as a player.

I'm still waiting for Anderson to play and I'm sure he'ld fit in well. Especially if he partners Tevez in front.

And why hasn't Hargreaves played

Man City next. . . A massive win is of the essence for United . . .

PROUDLY UNITED cool
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Banderas(m): 2:25pm On Aug 17, 2007
But Jackal, if he was so good back then, why wasn't he taken as well? Why would Barca buy a player and have to spend money on him, when they could easily buy a similar player with no problems? It doesn't make business sense to me.

And again, I am not syaing the guy isn't quality, we all know he is. I just think he is a bit over-hyped das all.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Jackal(m): 3:07pm On Aug 17, 2007
@Banderas,

He wasn't taken back then cos he had no deficiencies.
How many clubs buy 11-yr olds?
Man Utd's 9 year-old Rhain Davies is still generating ripples at Manchester cos kids sometimes impress to deceive.
Messi's ailment prompted Barcelona to move in and TAKE ADVANTAGE of the situation.
His going to Barca has nothing to do with his skills? What skills does a child with growth problems got?
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Banderas(m): 3:20pm On Aug 17, 2007
Let's see whether I understand you Jackal

Barcelona didn't see a skill, they simply bought a kid because he was ill, even though at eleven he had no skill at all. What advantage is that? Let me guess - they needed somewhere to spend money on a sick child since there's no sickness in barcelona, or anywhere else in europe. I think they deserve a nobel prize for their philantrophy. They also overlooked other good players that had no medical problems, and a similar amount of skill.

It doesn't make sense. Thierry henry was spotted at age six. Owen was spotted at 10. It happens.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by RuuDie(m): 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2007
Jackal,

forget your goal-paocher theory. . . .  it don't hold water anymo' in today's football.

look at RVN today, his style's different from how he used to play at UTD; he doesn't just stand around in the 6yard box waiting 4 a cross to come so that he can scramble it home, he moves up and down in the opposition half, dropping deep and generally making himself diificult to cop. . . . look at Raul, he's now altered his style so much so that they even paly him from m/f in madrid.
Mobility's the name of the game. . . . . .

the whole "BIG CENTER FORWARD" thing is now outdated fad. . . . football has gone beyond one man scoring all the time; its anybody's call, anybody can get into the area and get the job done. . .  it ain't the xclusive preserve for the strikers anymore!

yes. . . .  UTD ain't getting the goals, but i tell u if it'd been Hunteelaar or even RVN himself, result would be no different!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 3:38pm On Aug 17, 2007
RuuDie

You just said it all. Thats all i've been sayin about this Hunterlaar issue. Football is not a one man show. Anybody can get the goal, so far it comes when it is needed.
See what United did last season. Everyone in the team scored save Gary Neville and of course the goal keepers. The goals can come, not from one person.

Point is, United does not need a poacher before we can score goals!!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Jackal(m): 4:16pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ J-K & Ruudie,

U dont need to tell me the stats of last season.
20 different outfield players scored last season for Man Utd but we CANNOT ride on that luck again this season.
Ronaldo and Rooney are target men to be riled or hacked down to injuries.
Sometimes the cutting edge of a poacher wins a match.
Only God knows the impact a RVN would have done in the last 2 matches and yet u expect everyone to score their fair share again this season.
It worked before does not mean it will work again.

United should diversify how they break teams down.
Ferguson has got an avalanche of talents but unfortunately none of them is a fox in the box.
A player that will be the 1st to react to a rebound . . . . .a striker that will evade the offside trap and just nick goals outta nuthing.
RVN kinda player . . . .Target man when things go awkward and u need to throw long balls in the box.
Would Rooney/Tevez outjump Carvalho or Toure to nod in a goal?
Y'all guys should forget about last season . . . . .A master-stroke from the Gaffer no doubt but i dont wanna rely on Ronaldo to deliver 23+ goals again this season. It will be asking too much from the young lad.
Chelsea depends on Superdrog to deliver . . . . . . . . Liverpool depends on Torres and Even Arsenal are trusting Eduardo.
Who do we have? SAHA. A national deception!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, i'd rather have Henrik Larsson back. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Razorr(f): 4:32pm On Aug 17, 2007
*****yawns*****
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by debosky(m): 4:35pm On Aug 17, 2007
Jackal you keep oscillating between Carlitos being the solution to MU's goal problems and the need for the fabled 'fox in the box'. which is it?

Is Tevez the 'fox in the box' or isn't he? Saha is a Global deception, he stepped it up a notch from national last season grin grin

and Ole? dude is good for those Carling Cup games and maybe a few prem games when y'all are coasting and need to rest the big guns for the midweek game in Europe.

If Rooney and Tevez are both fit and Fergie can come up with a reasonable strategy to get the most out of them, AND the midfield chips in its quota as well, then y'all will have no scoring issues. As things stand now, Fergie isn't clear what his best 11 is, just like most managers except maybe Mourinho right now

a little more tinkering here and there and maybe by end of September you can make some real conclusions.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 4:40pm On Aug 17, 2007
lol. , Larsson? Yeah rite!.

Jackal, I totally understand you, but my point is , WE DONT NEED A POACHER TO GET GOALS!!!.
RVN was only a useful player in the box. Once outside the box, he is close to totally useless. Havent you watched him play at Real? He has stopped staying in the box. He has started gettin himself involved in the whole game. . .and dont you see he has become a better player?

Saha is not a poacher but he can do RVN's poaching job and more. He can join in the build up to a goal and can shoot from outside the box.
With a poacher, or a fox in the box as you said, you are playing with 10 men plus a guy in the box who scores!!!.
Like RuuDie said, football has passed that stage.

From the examples you gave, Drogba for Chelsea and the rest. These players are not poachers. Drogba is not a box player. He gets balls and scores on his own. He can create a goal on his own. So is Torres. He makes his own goals.

Jackal, Lemme ask you a question, who would you rather have. A prolific poacher who scores when the ball gets to him in the box, or a striker who creates his goals, helps in the build ups, and also scores tap-ins?
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by A40(m): 4:46pm On Aug 17, 2007
@Jackal
I honestly believe you are over rating this Tevez guy he cant fill Rooney's void thats the truth.As for Heinze being a hit Hmmm Baptista too was a hit i guess.But Saha did flatter to decieve he started on a flyer last season the first few games in the premiership.Celtic and Benfica in the UCL.and as for Solskjaer you guys should send him back to his country pronto.

I would also advice Nani to resist the lure of trying to be another C.Ronaldo he should carve his own niche hes not even as quick as he is
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Jackal(m): 4:57pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ J-K,

I will have to go with a striker that creates his goals, scores tap-ins and help build an attack.
But, SAHA is none of this so dont even beat the drums of victory yet.
SAHA has no goal sense and he is not clinical.
Louis will blast his shots against the goalie 9 times out of 10. Saha does not place a goalie and put the ball where its most difficult for the keeper to catch.
The nigga just uses raw power and shoot . . . .if it gets in then its IN.

@ Debosky,

I am not oscillating.
Time and time again, i prefer a target man. Thats the way things are done.
A Luiz Ronaldo, Careca, Batistuta, Yekini, Weah. An out n out striker that sends shivers to the spine of the likes of Terry and Toure.
But, rather than have SAHA who would soon go back and face the surgeon's knife . . . . i'd rather have TEVEZ.
Tevez will lay 34-35 games a season with the way he is built like a GERMAN TANK.
SAHA can keep his out n out striker qualities cos he cannot be fit for more than 10 games a season.
I'd rather have TEVEZ than SAHA if Man Utd will not land a target man . . . . . . .  .That has always been ma wish.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 5:21pm On Aug 17, 2007
Jackal,

Exactly my point. We'll rather have a striker that can create goals, and we have that in Tevez. That dude singlehandedly kept West Ham in the EPL.
So anyday, a Tevez is better than an Hunterlaar.

Only if Saha can be fit. I've said here before that Saha is a lucky striker. He gambles and sometimes he gets it right. He scores very difficult goals and misses chances even my grandmother would not dare miss. He is very incosistent. But on his good days, he can be lethal.
I just wish he were fit so we can have options. . .

Rossi, Rossi, Rossi. . .This guy's name always come up in my mind when I think about our present striking deficiecies. .
We once had Rooney, Ole, Saha, Smith, Rossi and Tevez. . . now we have just Tevez.

Hope Rossi's sale wont hunt us. . . .
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Jackal(m): 5:39pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ J-K,

RVN just scored a goal now for Real Madrid in a pre-season game.
Match tied at 1-1, 73rd minute.
Saviola has been there running and trying to to score but he cldn't because he is like TEVEZ and ROONEY.

RVN stepped in . . . . . . .a corner-kick flicked and RUUD was the 1st to latch on the loose ball.
He nodded the ball into the net with so much venom and his goal instincts in knowing where the ball would land for him is just exquisite.
In all honesty . . . . . . .RUUD is the god of goals. His intro has just won the match for Madrid.
Lil' wonder he has been recalled back by his national side after nearly a year.
He keeps proving his critics wrong time n time again.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 5:45pm On Aug 17, 2007
Jackal

I'm not doubting RVN's striking abilities. He is a goal machine. But he could be more. . . .
Raul scores tap-ins and he also creates his own goals. . .
Owen scores tap-ins and also creates his own goals. . .

I'm glad with Tevez, he can be an RVN and himself. .
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by debosky(m): 6:01pm On Aug 17, 2007
you have a point Jackal, it is better to have a variety of striking options, not just a Rooney/Tevez, but also a RVN kind of player

take Wenger for example - he has a highly skillful player who scores incredible goals with finesse - RVP, He has a dogged fighter with a good workrate who may not score all the time, but will upset defences and create space for others in Adebayor, so he brings in Eduardo - to put away the begging chances, to score those headers at the far post that no one expects Arsenal to score, to get on to fab4's thru balls and nail it, a pure finisher. not to forget Bendtner and his obvious aerial ability and tons of energy.

A variety of strikers helps you change your game if one strategy is not working, that is something I think Utd may lack this season, not enough variety upfront for me.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Jackal(m): 6:20pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ Debosky,

At last . . . . . .Someone sees ma point.
A good team needs to have every kinda player to satisfy all the attacking options possible to win matches.
Check out AC Milan . . . . . . They got Kaka and Gilardino who can build and create from outside the box and score.
But sometimes, that method dont work . . . . . .Good interplay but the finishing is just lacking(United's problem).
This is where u need predators like RVN and INZAGHI or ETOO to get the job done for ya.
Players that pride emselves from defender's silly mistakes, goalkeeping errors and little details people dont even notice.
A good team needs a blend of the 2 to be double-sure.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by kitaun(m): 8:08pm On Aug 17, 2007
Tevez will not come good tongue tongue

wanne quote me anyone cool

Huntelaar is a better player by far, but is Rooney a better player than Tevez? I DOUBT

whatever it is . . . AM HAPPY THE SCUM TEAM AINT FARING WELL grin grin grin

WHERE UR GUNS @ tongue grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by software(m): 8:25pm On Aug 17, 2007
chelsea 4 life
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by nazzyon(m): 10:57pm On Aug 17, 2007
What is wrong with this PART TERM Chelsea fans?
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by software(m): 12:01am On Aug 18, 2007
nazzyon:

What is wrong with this PART TERM Chelsea fans?

nothing is wrong with them. they are doing fine. okay?
chelsea all the way grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by brushparke(m): 2:53am On Aug 18, 2007
Hi Man U fns. How are you guys coping with the new turn of events. Two games , two points. I hope you aren't heading the same part as the gunners last season. Because you are starting just like they did.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by brushparke(m): 3:02am On Aug 18, 2007
Jackal:

@ Debosky,

At last . . . . . .Someone sees ma point.
A good team needs to have every kind of player to satisfy all the attacking options possible to win matches.
Check out AC Milan . . . . . . They got Kaka and Gilardino who can build and create from outside the box and score.
But sometimes, that method don't work . . . . . .Good interplay but the finishing is just lacking(United's problem).
This is where u need predators like RVN and INZAGHI or ETOO to get the job done for ya.
Players that pride emselves from defender's silly mistakes, goalkeeping errors and little details people don't even notice.
A good team needs a blend of the 2 to be double-sure.
Hey Debosky,
I think you are being too hard on them. Dn't forget goals never come unless there is a mistake. Goals always come when someone fails to do what he should have been doing, or dose what he shouldn't have done. So strikers who score goals from defenders silly mistakes are fantastics. Because,it takes a good player to see when the goalkeeper is off his line.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by RuuDie(m): 10:26am On Aug 18, 2007
Y all d focus on strikers ? There are 10 out-field playas out there and 2 me, any one of 'em can get d job done. . . .
UTD had 20 different goal scorers last season, d'ats hw it shld be. . . .

4 UTD fans, is it true d'at in d 3ble season of '99, we drew our 1st 2 games of d season ? If so, HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Iman3(m): 10:35am On Aug 18, 2007
RuuDie:

4 UTD fans, is it true d'at in d 3ble season of '99, we drew our 1st 2 games of d season ? If so, HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!

In that season,our first game was against Leicester at Old Trafford.We were down 2-1 untill a superb Beckham freekick in injury time allowed us to equalise.The next game was 0-0 draw against West Ham at Upton Park.We followed that up with 4-1 and 2-0 victories over Charlton and Coventry before losing 3-0 to Arsenal at Highbury(Nicky Butt was sent off)-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_1998-1999

The key difference now is that Chelsea have raised the bar considerably to win the Premiership.In those days,you could win the Premiership with 79 points,now that would fetch you only 3rd place.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by RuuDie(m): 10:52am On Aug 18, 2007
Yup, d bar's up, but not only c'uz of chelsea. . . But more c'uz other clubs are puttin up stiffer fights. So clubs cld drop pts just abt anywhere. . . .
Hw many pts did UTD & chelsea bag last season ? Tellin ya, 79 can get u d title dis yr!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by RuuDie(m): 10:53am On Aug 18, 2007
Yup, d bar's up, but not only c'uz of chelsea. . . But more c'uz other clubs are puttin up stiffer fights. So clubs cld drop pts just abt anywhere. . . .
Hw many pts did UTD & chelsea bag last season ? Tellin ya, 79 can get u d title dis yr!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by RuuDie(m): 10:54am On Aug 18, 2007
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by RuuDie(m): 10:57am On Aug 18, 2007

(1) (2) (3) ... (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) ... (784)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ14ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.