Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,297 members, 7,850,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:31 PM

Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (617) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (501842 Views)

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (614) (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) ... (784) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Hannibal: 5:14pm On Jul 22, 2008
@ tkb417,

Forlan was drafted straight from South America. . . . He needed time to bed in but trust English media to run their mouthz!!!

Huntelaar has always been an European player whose main role is to find the back of the net.
His goal scoring records in Holland is something to behold.
He would be an instant HIT at Man Utd with Anderson, Nani, Ronaldo, Wazza and Apache pinging peach passes to him!!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by simmy(m): 5:24pm On Jul 22, 2008
funny enuff, Pele saw he potential in them, not his fault nigerinas are f, ing underachievers
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by eldee(m): 5:32pm On Jul 22, 2008
tkb417:

@Hannibal

Hunter is good but how are you sure he would be an HIT. Remember Forlan?
we cannot afford to get it wrong. besides, we need a brilliant footballer that can disgrace the Bayerns and Barcas of this world.

His excesses can be curbed by SAF. If SAF can tame Rooney and the irritable CR7, then Berba wont be a rocket science for SAF.
Divino and Rooney were 19 year olds, their problem was just their age
Just like Viera, they outgrew it and got responsible

Berbatov is different, he's in his late 20s, he'll still be the Le Sulk when Rooney-Tevez are chosen ahead of him
IMO Le Scum does not need a 24mil striker now
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by tkb417(m): 5:43pm On Jul 22, 2008
Ok lets look at it this way.
United needs a striker, AC needs a striker, Barca will buy if Etoo leaves.
From the look of things, none of these clubs will go for Hunter even if hes the only striker left in the world. Did Eldee say 'most sought after' behind Villa. Thats not true.

Like i said before, if his goal scoring prowess should be used, he should have been the first pick for Holland at the euros. people of his age and stature are commanding first team shirts in national teams. Aguero is younger but plays for argentina, Benzema is younger and he plays for France, Hunter is just 2 years younger than Berba and he cannot tie a first team shirt in Holland!!!

The way goals are scored in that league shouldnt be a yardstick at all. With all the goals Alves had scored, hes plying his trade at Boro and im not sure hes a first team player for Brazil. Can you remember Mateja Kezman? even dirt kuyt was banging in goals at feyenood. where is Kezman today? Kuyt has been reduced to the engine room of Liverpool. To me Berbatov is proven at the national level and even at the club level. Hes done the goal scoring thing in germany and now in England. I think hes gonna steal the show from Torres if he eventually plays for United. With the number of chances we create, then Berba should get 30 goals easily!!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by debosky(m): 5:52pm On Jul 22, 2008
Can I believe my eyes?? An astute scummie! cheesy

Very nice analysis tkb!

IF Barca and AC who are desperately looking for a #9 have all NOT mentioned Huntelaar even ONCE, what makes him so special? If he is so good, why won't he be successful with Seedorf, Kaka and Dinho feeding him? or with Messi, Iniesta and Xavi threading balls through to him?

The truth is, he is not as highly regarded as you think. He may be good, but definitely not on the class you assume.

People keep saying Berba is temperamental and sulks, even T14 - the best striker ever to play in the EPL was sulky too many times, (OK not to the level of legendary Le Sulk aka Anelka grin grin) so that is not a biggie. Quality players sometimes have a prima donna thing going on, good coaches manage that and bring out results. Berba is better than Huntelaar.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Hannibal: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2008
debosky:

The truth is, he is not as highly regarded as you think. He may be good, but definitely not on the class you assume.

People keep saying Berba is temperamental and sulks, even T14 - the best striker ever to play in the EPL was sulky too many times, (OK not to the level of legendary Le Sulk aka Anelka grin grin) so that is not a biggie. Quality players sometimes have a prima donna thing going on, good coaches manage that and bring out results. Berba is better than Huntelaar.

U just contradicted urself. . . . . I actually prefer him because no one is looking at him(means he would be cheap) for a sterling quality.

How many people were bidding for Van Nistelrooy when Ferguson went after him??
There have been many good players like that who don't arouse big clubs at all. . . . U guys remember Mario Jardel??
One of the best strikers in Europe and he never left Porto because clubs didn't even give him a 2nd look. . .does that make him queer??

@ tkb417,

Mateja Kezman is a midget. . . . . .He is vertically challenged and against Premiership's burly defenders, he stood no chance.
Huntelaar is a different kettle of fish . . . .He is tall, strong and his technical ability is top draw.
The only downside is his pace. . . . .Many strikers have graced the Premiership without pace(Sheringham, Ashton, Cahill and Drogba)
A point man is what United needs. . . . .forget what happened to Kezman or Forlan. . . .Look at Ruud, Torres and Santa Cruz.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Emperoh(m): 6:54pm On Jul 22, 2008
Somehow this argument is drawing long
I know Huntelaar is a hitman, but my point is
Is he better than Le Sulk Berba.
Looking at prospects and achievements, we will turn Hunterlaar into what we want
but it won't take as less time as did Torres. It may take as much as one full season. We better bring Manucho if thats the case
Thats why i feel Berba no matter the level of sulking is my man any time any day
Moreover, football fans and the English press thinks he has done well. so whats the beef
Whatever the situation, i need to see him in reds come next season
Maybe then people like CR7 will know their position of play and then their real worth.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Hannibal: 7:06pm On Jul 22, 2008
Emperoh:

Somehow this argument is drawing long
I know Huntelaar is a hitman, but my point is
Is he better than Le Sulk Berba.
Looking at prospects and achievements, we will turn Hunterlaar into what we want
but it won't take as less time as did Torres. It may take as much as one full season. We better bring Manucho if thats the case
Thats why i feel Berba no matter the level of sulking is my man any time any day
Moreover, football fans and the English press thinks he has done well. so whats the beef
Whatever the situation, i need to see him in reds come next season
Maybe then people like CR7 will know their position of play and then their real worth.

Emperoh, Huntelaar is better than Le Sulk in what we want either of em to do for United.
Our problem is not creating chances. . . . . It is burying em!!!
Who is better suited to score more goals between Berba n Hunter. . . . I think its Huntelaar by a mile.
What Berba would add to United will be matched or bettered by Cristiano, Rooney and Apache.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Emperoh(m): 9:15pm On Jul 22, 2008
I still haven't got a satisfactory answer as to why he was left on the bench
at the EURO's while the likes of RVP who barely played any match last season got a place ahead of him.
All that happens, we will get to see how Berba proves himself next season if he's eventually signed
its even more amazing that no one talks any more about your goal Hunter!!!!!!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by debosky(m): 9:28pm On Jul 22, 2008
that was an interesting observation Emperoh. . . is Huntelaar is that good, why not give him a look in over a barely recovered/fit RVP?

I don't think his homeland even reckons with him that much, so he may have potential, but is likely not as good as you think. No one talks about him, no efforts to buy him - especially in this period of striker drought in Europe? Seems fishy to me. It can't be that no one else has seen this value in him.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Hannibal: 9:31pm On Jul 22, 2008
@ Emperoh,

The answer to that is simple.
EPL is a bigger league than the Dutch league. . . . . . . .There's no rocket science about it.
Dirk Kuyt featured for Holland. . . . . . . .Is Kuyt better than Huntelaar by any means??
Players in the EPL gets a nod ahead of players from wherever else. . . . Eredivisie is a 2nd tier league.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by 4Play(m): 10:05pm On Jul 22, 2008
Huntelaar isn't a flair player,which is probably what Van Basten prefers.As for not starting regularly,he has a better goals ratio for Holland at 25 when compared to Van Nistlerooy at the same age.

He will make a good addition to United compared to what we have at the moment.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Hannibal: 10:24pm On Jul 22, 2008
4 Play:

Huntelaar isn't a flair player,which is probably what Van Basten prefers.As for not starting regularly,he has a better goals ratio for Holland at 25 when compared to Van Nistlerooy at the same age.

He will make a good addition to United compared to what we have at the moment.

Thank u for this comment.

I am still gobsmacked people would think Huntelaar won't be a success at OT.
He is the only missing link we need. . . . .any lazy player capable of burying rebounds, scraps with a good chance conversion rate!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Derby: 11:44pm On Jul 22, 2008
ManU Till I DIE. MANU 4EVER.THE RED DEVILS FOR LIFE!

Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Emperoh(m): 7:11am On Jul 23, 2008
Hannibal:

Thank u for this comment.

I am still gobsmacked people would think Huntelaar won't be a success at OT.
He is the only missing link we need. . . . .any lazy player capable of burying rebounds, scraps with a good chance conversion rate!!!
I am not in doubt the quality of Hunterlaar nor his knack for goal
But my issue with him is that you cannot compare his quality with Berba.
You are talking of someone who has spent 2 season's in England to someone who has only played in his home country
English football has soo evolved that you don't just come in and smack your way in without a prior experience particularly for strikers
Also the game in England is not just fast, its VERY physical and i dare say at this point, that its more physical than what you have in Italy now. e.g A.C Milan v Arsenal
Hunterlaar will need at least 12 months to gel in United and i can't trade a well grounded and experienced Berba for him where i to be the gaffer
Berba is good in the air, can be a supporting striker (which u claim he is. I don't see him as such. he swaps often with Keane)
Berba is a gama reader and can influence your attacks very well. You have failed to realise that any time he plays well Tottenham gets a good result
Check out out league match last season at White Hart Lane, Carling Cup finals with Chelski and also The Carling Cup Semis with Arsenal.
He is also good in the air, very witty and has a great ball positioning, intuition and ball sense. Imagine him as the one man up front. His only down side is that just like most strikers, he isn't blessed with speed. You can't have it all though.
Not to say he doesn't have his down sides but the positives far out weigh the negatives. So for crying out loud, you Hunterlaar WON'T be an instant
hit at O.T. I would even prefer Manucho to come in place of him. cheesy
I guess he lost the opportunity to sell himself at the Euros. Because whether or not the English league is better or not, i don't see who could have played the right wing better than Kuyt for the Dutchs. I bet if there where, the person would have gone ahead of Kuyt. Also mind you that every coach has a reason for choosing a player. He gets a place in Rafa's selection because of his defensive qualities and fitness. My point is, if Hunterlaar WAS THAT GOOD, he should be able to hold down a place in the Dutch team regardless of what league he plays in and who was playing. If you say he was chosen ahead of RVN, was RVN never substituted? Why was he not the one to replace him? The strikers for Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal and Russia has never played in the English league yet they proved themselves at the tournament. David Villa for instance was the Ballon D'Or winner for the tournament. So Le Chac, I think Berba will achieve more than Hunterlaar. You might say the price is higher but not comparing him to Hunterlaar.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by dayokanu(m): 7:13am On Jul 23, 2008
Huntelaar is a direct replacement for RVNistelrooy in the Dutch setup. He is suppossed to be the pointman. You can expect Huntelaar to replace Kuyt or van persie who can play else where.

It is always clumsy and generally ineffective when you play 2 target men in front. Check the Klose Gomez combination upfront It was until Loew removed one of them before they got going.

Like playing Nistelrooy and Lucatoni together up
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Emperoh(m): 7:23am On Jul 23, 2008
dayokanu:

Huntelaar is a direct replacement for RVNistelrooy in the Dutch setup. He is suppossed to be the pointman. You can expect Huntelaar to replace Kuyt or van persie who can play else where.

It is always clumsy and generally ineffective when you play 2 target men in front. Check the Klose Gomez combination upfront It was until Loew removed one of them before they got going.

Like playing Nistelrooy and Lucatoni together up
I get your point but the issue here is
RVN didn't play all 90mins in all the matches. My question and curiosity becomes
why not Hunterlaar in place of RVN when there is a substitution instead of RVP?
I think i goes to explain his quality to a good extent
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by dayokanu(m): 7:46am On Jul 23, 2008
A times when Nistelrooy was removed the Dutch were leading comfortably and the rational thing might be to remove a top striker and put in a midfielder to close out the game.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by ritchboy(m): 8:18am On Jul 23, 2008
@dayo
Dont bayern play two 'target men' upfront(kloni)? Would u call dat pairing 'clumsy' as well
And when did gomez become a target man?shocking analysis from someone who claims to follow german football. grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by codedguy1(m): 8:44am On Jul 23, 2008
Emperoh:

I am not in doubt the quality of Hunterlaar nor his knack for goal
But my issue with him is that you cannot compare his quality with Berba.
You are talking of someone who has spent 2 season's in England to someone who has only played in his home country
English football has soo evolved that you don't just come in and smack your way in without a prior experience particularly for strikers
Also the game in England is not just fast, its VERY physical and i dare say at this point, that its more physical than what you have in Italy now. e.g A.C Milan v Arsenal
Hunterlaar will need at least 12 months to gel in United and i can't trade a well grounded and experienced Berba for him where i to be the gaffer
Berba is good in the air, can be a supporting striker (which u claim he is. I don't see him as such. he swaps often with Keane)
Berba is a gama reader and can influence your attacks very well. You have failed to realise that any time he plays well Tottenham gets a good result
Check out out league match last season at White Hart Lane, Carling Cup finals with Chelski and also The Carling Cup Semis with Arsenal.
He is also good in the air, very witty and has a great ball positioning, intuition and ball sense. Imagine him as the one man up front. His only down side is that just like most strikers, he isn't blessed with speed. You can't have it all though.
Not to say he doesn't have his down sides but the positives far out weigh the negatives. So for crying out loud, you Hunterlaar WON'T be an instant
hit at O.T. I would even prefer Manucho to come in place of him. cheesy
I guess he lost the opportunity to sell himself at the Euros. Because whether or not the English league is better or not, i don't see who could have played the right wing better than Kuyt for the Dutchs. I bet if there where, the person would have gone ahead of Kuyt. Also mind you that every coach has a reason for choosing a player. He gets a place in Rafa's selection because of his defensive qualities and fitness. My point is, if Hunterlaar WAS THAT GOOD, he should be able to hold down a place in the Dutch team regardless of what league he plays in and who was playing. If you say he was chosen ahead of RVN, was RVN never substituted? Why was he not the one to replace him? The strikers for Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal and Russia has never played in the English league yet they proved themselves at the tournament. David Villa for instance was the Ballon D'Or winner for the tournament. So Le Chac, I think Berba will achieve more than Hunterlaar. You might say the price is higher but not comparing him to Hunterlaar.

First of all i think any of these players, Hunter or Berba will be an instant hit at United cause of the quality we have in the team.

The argument is for who would be more preferably now as things stand in United, i would go for Hunter, not because i think Berba cant cut it at United, but because we need someone whose soul purpose is to fucking Tuck the ball in the net period!!!!

The bolded statement simply adds credence to the fact that we do not need any one who would swap positions with a support striker, which we have an abundance of. But to simply Finish any moves that would have been created by other players.

We have hustlers in the team in the form of Anderson, Rooney and Tevez who can cause defenders to make mistakes and no better person to be the one to capitalise on loose balls by tucking them in as The hunter. Ronaldo seems not to be going anywhere and if he produces half of what he produced last season i think we would be on our way to winning the League.

It makes more sense to me if we have an attack combo of manucho and Tevez or Hunter and Rooney. Playing berba with any of rooney or Tevez is akin to what we had last season Rooney/Tevez combo.

Emperoh:

I get your point but the issue here is
RVN didn't play all 90mins in all the matches. My question and curiosity becomes
why not Hunterlaar in place of RVN when there is a substitution instead of RVP?
I think i goes to explain his quality to a good extent

Dayo already answered this but RVN plays for REAL, a big club in a big league and RVN was/is in form and has played in about three different leagues where he has always been a success. Choosing Hunter over him for get as e be. Again the dutch were doing ok in the tournament until they finally showed what stuff they were really made of grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Emperoh(m): 9:06am On Jul 23, 2008
@Coded Guy
Well well well, i guess its down to who the gaffer finally acquires next season
me thinks that there is no need for a hunterlaar if we can get Berba.
Hunterlaar should only be a second choice should the deal for Berba fail to go through
I guess the like s of Le Chac will be praying ceaselessly for it to fail
I have no objection to whom is to be acquired any of them will be a hit should they come though i maintain that Hunterlaar will take a longer time to fit in
You can imagine how Chelseas should be pumelled with the chance in the first half of the UCL had we a striker like any of Berba or Hunterlaar
The fact remains that i would prefer a Berba to a Hunterlaar.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by dayokanu(m): 10:03am On Jul 23, 2008
Dont bayern play two 'target men' upfront(kloni)? Would u call that pairing 'clumsy' as well Huh

In football if you use two target men one would have to drop behind for the other. If you watch the Bayern set up you would notice that Klose dropped behind Luca for their to be some form of harmony. He sacrificed his target man ability for the good of the team. You can count the number of goals that came from kloses direct assist to Toni. That actually affected his goal ratio.

Even at the Euros when Klose was supposed to pull the trigger like all top 9 would do , he opted to pass. 2 times to Gomez in clear situations against Poland and against Austria.

If you look at Inter Milan of 2003 Crespo and Vieri, That set up was idealistic. It can never work. They would always get in each others ways they would go for the same ball (strikers Instinct)

And when did gomez become a target man?shocking analysis from someone who claims to follow german football.

What do you know about German football? Who is the target man in Stuttgart? Cacau, Marica or Ljuboja(who was on loan) check their physical presence which is one xteristics of target men. Gomez is the most imposing of them all, his play says it all.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Mpele(m): 10:49am On Jul 23, 2008
I'm just curious. Don't you people have local clubs in Nigeria. What's up with all these English clubs
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Emperoh(m): 11:32am On Jul 23, 2008
Mpele:

I'm just curious. Don't you people have local clubs in Nigeria. What's up with all these English clubs
I'm just curious. What brought you here in the first place?
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by codedguy1(m): 12:05pm On Jul 23, 2008
Mpele:

i'm just curious, dont you have SA blogs where you can post
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by codedguy1(m): 12:08pm On Jul 23, 2008
Emperoh:

@Coded Guy
Well well well, i guess its down to who the gaffer finally acquires next season
me thinks that there is no need for a hunterlaar if we can get Berba.
Hunterlaar should only be a second choice should the deal for Berba fail to go through
I guess the like s of Le Chac will be praying ceaselessly for it to fail
I have no objection to whom is to be acquired any of them will be a hit should they come though i maintain that Hunterlaar will take a longer time to fit in
You can imagine how Chelseas should be pumelled with the chance in the first half of the UCL had we a striker like any of Berba or Hunterlaar
The fact remains that i would prefer a Berba to a Hunterlaar.

We would have saved Terry those miserable tears grin grin grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Hannibal: 2:09pm On Jul 23, 2008
dayokanu:

Did you read what Pele said about Godwin Okpara where is he now? In Jail. Did you read what Pele said about Nicky Butt and Emile Heskey?

Dayokanu, this is Ferguson's assessment on Wayne Rooney.
SAF said[b]:"I think I have to take a bit of responsibility for it. He's sacrificed himself and never complained about it, which says a lot for the lad.

"But we kept using him in different positions. We need to define his role better."[/b]

This should explain why Wazza hasn't really been at it coupled with the fact that he suffered 3 horrific injuries in the last campaign.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by dayokanu(m): 2:45pm On Jul 23, 2008
If Fergie could make an excuse for him I wonder what the excuse is for his poor ratio at National level?

I am sure you would dig something from mc Claren and Eriksson
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Emperoh(m): 2:49pm On Jul 23, 2008
Hannibal:

Dayokanu, this is Ferguson's assessment on Wayne Rooney.
SAF said[b]:"I think I have to take a bit of responsibility for it. He's sacrificed himself and never complained about it, which says a lot for the lad.

"But we kept using him in different positions. We need to define his role better."[/b]

This should explain why Wazza hasn't really been at it coupled with the fact that he suffered 3 horrific injuries in the last campaign.
He should also take responsibility for Ronaldo's behaviour. If we had a nine last season, we wouldn't have been put all thru these transfer wahala
Maybe Rooney would also not have been put thru all these wahala and then we may get to see his true worth.

Maybe we wil have to vote and give the result to SAF when he comes to Abuja
"WHO DO YOU WANT, HUNTERLAAR OR BERBATOV"
All vote now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Hannibal: 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2008
dayokanu:

If Fergie could make an excuse for him I wonder what the excuse is for his poor ratio at National level?

I am sure you would dig something from mc Claren and Eriksson

His poor ratio in the national level can be explained. . . . .
Rooney is not an out n out striker. . . . . Same as Kanu Nwankwo.
Scoring goals is not the only yard-stick. . . . . Unless u wanna say Victor Agali is a better player than Kanu or Crouch is better than Wazza.
Which one is it, hombre??

@ Emperoh,

U cannot really blame Ferguson. . . . . . . SAHA is the black sheep.
I think it's about time we flog him to Sunderland. . He is a global deception.
He goes to the media at the start of the season saying reh reh reh how he must repay Fergie's faith in him only to start 5 league games all season.
Rooney should be commended. He sacrifices more than any player for Man Utd.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by dayokanu(m): 3:21pm On Jul 23, 2008
Who does Rooney create goals for in the national team? How many assists does he have for the National team and compare to national team.

Lukas Podolski too has never been an out and out striker even at the Euro's he was played as a winger but he still got 3 goals and 2 wonderful assist. A total of 28 international goals

In the last 3 years, he has 4 international goals
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by dayokanu(m): 3:22pm On Jul 23, 2008
Rooney has 4 international goals in the last 3 years? Can you imagine!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (614) (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) ... (784)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.