Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,867 members, 7,862,887 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:23 AM

Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? (732 Views)

Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? / "Touch NOT My Anointed..." What Does It Really Mean? / Why Infant Baptism Should Stop! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by plappville(f): 7:08pm On Sep 23, 2008
Jesus was said to have baptised at the age of 12, are christians not surposed to be christlike? it doesn't really mean we should baptise at exactly 12, but at least at a age when one should be able to know good from wrong, why is infant baptism introduced in the chatolic church a baby know nothing about been baptism this ideal is parental and it's a chatolic doctrim, it is true that the bible says ( For all ve sined and come short of the glory of God) why did the chatolic church introduce infant baptism and not like Christ.

A friend of mine that has never been to church had a baby and told me she is going to baptise her in the church, she is chatolic, then i asked her what baptising means to her, she said, (I NO KNOW NA SO DEM DEY DOAM FOR OUR CHURCH) shocked

I think we should allow our children to be old enough to choice if they will baptise or not just like Christ did.
Christianity is self race, a child can grow up and decided not to follow Christ after he or she has been baptised during infant age. Or does the quotation in the bible( train up a child the way he should grow and when he is grown he will not depart from it) stands for infants baptising?
My people Make una helep me with this subject oooo.
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by Lady2(f): 7:54pm On Sep 23, 2008
Unfortunately your opinion does not direct God's commands, and thank God it doesn't. Because you would be excluding infants from the body of Christ. Christ also said that we should "Let the little ones come to him" if he asked us to do so, who are we to say that they shouldn't.

But to go into more details:

Baptism replaced circumcision.
Colossians 2:11-12 Paul stated that our baptism has become circumcision for us. We certainly know that infants were circumcised and very few adults underwent circumcision except the converts to judaism. so if Paul wanted to exclude infants from baptism he certainly wouldn't have used circumcision and likened it to baptism.

Anyway sir if you truly want to know the truth then you are welcome to ask questions but if you are here to bash, then I urge you cease and desist, because you will only get a headache, and you will be refuted tirelessly from us.

If truly you want to know about what we believe so that you can educatively discuss with us please visit this website first, learn our beliefs and why we believe it, and then come have a discussion with us on it.
But if you fail to do so, then know truly that you do not seek to spread the truth but to start strife.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/

Everything is based on scripture in the Catholic Church. We say sacred tradition a lot, particularly because the Bible is Sacred tradition.
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by Angeleyz(f): 8:01pm On Sep 23, 2008
i don't see it as right or wrong. parents can pretty much do what they want with their precious ones including; circumcise,pierce ears etc. It's up to the child to decide what to do once they can think for themselves. Lets not get too academical about this topic. People do all sorts in the name of following their religion. I saw an Indian woman rolling around in dirt worshipping as tree go figure.
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by plappville(f): 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2008
Am happy because God is to be thank in everything BE IT GOOD OR BAD
( ~Lady~)
but i am not interested in ur catholic website.
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by Lady2(f): 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2008
but i am not interested in ur catholic website.
Quite unfortunate for you!!! You would have learned a lot, and you have only shown you want strife. Don't come here perpetrating to be a Christian when you are not!!
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by plappville(f): 10:00pm On Sep 23, 2008
If man was God see how u sound, is this all what catholic is?? if u had preached Christ to me i will appreciate than telling about ur catholic website.
Don't come here perpetrating to be a Christian when you are not!!

Matthew7vs 1: Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to u. How do u know i am not a christian? u just concluded i am not a christian, dont u think u ve done something contrary to matthew 7 vs 1 smileywake up and be Christlike than shying away from the truth. may God forgive u.
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 24, 2008
Infant baptism is basically useless, it receives no strength at all, cos the person in question is still unable to think for himself, generative power has not yet set in.
Baptism should only happen when the generative power has set in, which always happen at puberty/adolescent period. That is the time for this act to happen
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by Udyro(f): 12:00pm On Sep 24, 2008
plappville:

Jesus was said to have baptised at the age of 12,

wrong quote: Jesus was NOT baptised at the age of 12, but rather, at the age of 30 by John the Baptist.
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by plappville(f): 1:15pm On Sep 24, 2008
Jesus was NOT baptised at the age of 12, but rather, at the age of 30 by John the Baptist.
It may also be a wrong qoute because there was no specified age of his baptise, but i was not wrong to say he was not baptise during infanty.
(In accordance with the Law dispensed to Moses, Jesus was said to be  thirty years old at the time He was baptized, as we read in Luke 3:23) Perhaps if we insist we should "follow Jesus in Baptism" we should require to be 30 years old or more).
Jesus was also said to have started his own ministry at  about 30 years of age.

As for if MARY WAS THE MOTHER OF GOD,
mattew 16:13-17
When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi 9 he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?"

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

Simon Peter said in reply, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood 12 has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. (If Simon was wrong to ve told Jesus that he was the son of the living God, Jesus would have corrected him.

JESUS never sinned. He needed neither to repent (turn) from sin, nor to be forgiven of any sin, 

Christians should follow the doctrines of the Bible above the doctrines of man.

The image of MARY SHOULD NOT BE WORSHIPED . smiley
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by Lady2(f): 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2008
Matthew7vs 1: Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to You. How do You know i am not a christian? You just concluded i am not a christian, don't You think You ve done something contrary to matthew 7 vs 1   smileywake up and be Christlike than shying away from the truth. may God forgive You.

hissss if I told you you are going to hell then I am judging you. I only told you that you should stop pretending to be what you are not. A christian would not want to cause strife just for the sake of it. SO please stop trying with your holy attitude, it is lost on me.
Please don't come quoting the Bible left and right, we all know the devil quoted the Bible to Jesus too, so dear try again, thanks.

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

Simon Peter said in reply, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood 12 has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. (If Simon was wrong to ve told Jesus that he was the son of the living God, Jesus would have corrected him.

JESUS never sinned. He needed neither to repent (turn) from sin, nor to be forgiven of any sin,

Christians should follow the doctrines of the Bible above the doctrines of man.

How does this prove that Mary is not the Mother of God. You only spoke of his father. Is The Father the only parent of JESUS or did he just appear from heaven?
Did Mary give birth to him or not?
Is Jesus God or not?
Re: Infant Baptise, Is It Really Right? by mazaje(m): 10:56am On Sep 25, 2008
lady have you read the book of mary? grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Have You Been There? Learn More About Christianity / Forbidding Fruit / A Hint On How To Pray

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.