Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,508 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens (848 Views)

CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 / Hon. Abdullateef, Lagos Ex-lawmaker Marries Two Friends As 3rd And 4tl / Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Truequest(m): 8:01pm On Sep 26, 2008
The Minister of Transportation, Mrs. Diezani Allison-Madueke, this morning, in Abuja, announced that the 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos would be re-opened to the public at 12 midnight on Sunday, 28 September, 2008.

She made this disclosure at a press conference in her office where she also announced that the carriage-way of the bridge will be resurfaced next year. She also stated that about N762 million naira was spent on rehabilitating the bridge.

http://thepmnews.com/2008/09/26/3rd-mainland-bridge-opens-fully-sunday-midnight#comment-28069
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Truequest(m): 10:05pm On Sep 26, 2008
That this work is concluded before the scheduled date is commendable
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Kobojunkie: 12:32am On Sep 27, 2008
Hold up!! The Ministry Of Transportation (Federal) and the Lagos State Works Commission where able to collaborate on this but somehow the Anambra State Goverment could not work on a relationship with the same Federal Agency to make sure the Niger Brigde remains in good condition??. . . hhmmmm. . . . interesting!! and some wonder why I laugh at some of the absurd reports from Nigeria, roflmao
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by bawomolo(m): 4:01am On Sep 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Hold up!! The Ministry Of Transportation (Federal) and the Lagos State Works Commission where able to collaborate on this but somehow the Anambra State Goverment could not work on a relationship with the same Federal Agency to make sure the Niger Brigde remains in good condition??. . . hhmmmm. . . . interesting!! and some wonder why I laugh at some of the absurd reports from Nigeria, roflmao

dude the MAN is trying to keep the igbo man down.
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Afam(m): 8:59am On Sep 27, 2008
bawomolo:

dude the MAN is trying to keep the igbo man down.

Which MAN? It is Igbo not igbo.

3rd Mainland Bridge is in Lagos State.

Niger Bridge is not in Anambra State but a bridge connecting Anambra and Delta states or Eastern and Western regions of Nigeria.
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by ikeyman00(m): 9:06am On Sep 27, 2008

keep up the amusement, we already know what the time is!
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by c33b33(m): 3:59pm On Sep 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

OBJ fooled himself last year by claiming the contract has been awarded or you did not hear Peter Obi^s latest statment about the FG^s unseriousness,even when the amount for the contract has been divided among anambra,delta,FG & the private sector.This is what makes the Average Igboman to shout for BIAFRA!!!!1
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Sep 27, 2008
c33b33:

OBJ fooled himself last year by claiming the contract has been awarded or you did not hear Peter Obi^s latest statment about the FG^s unseriousness,even when the amount for the contract has been divided among anambra,delta,FG & the private sector.This is what makes the Average Igboman to shout for BIAFRA!!!!1

Why does the above sound more like one of the many excuses I have heard some, in the black american community here, use to excuse explain away the level of incompetence that continues in exist in many aspects of the society? Are Ibo's becoming the 'flakiest' of all of Nigeria?
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by c33b33(m): 4:30pm On Sep 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Why does the above sound more like one of the many excuses I have heard some, in the black american community here, use to excuse explain away the level of incompetence that continues in exist in many aspects of the society? Are Ibo's becoming the 'flakiest' of all of Nigeria?
i don't know how i sound to you but i want to know what is really your point?are you accusing Peter Obi of incompetency?
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Sep 27, 2008
YES I am. We need to hold these governors to higher standards rather than continue to swallow the same old nonsense from them. That bridge is essential to the states economy and he thinks it is ok for him to say the federal government is to blame and that sort of means he is not to do something about the situation, as in invest state money in the bridges maintainance?? That is what the lagos state government did.
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by c33b33(m): 4:48pm On Sep 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

YES I am.
you've just confirmed to me that you are not in this country or may be you are been myopic. grin
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On Sep 27, 2008
c33b33:

you've just confirmed to me that you are not in this country or may be you are been myopic. grin

Or it may be I just confirmed that I do not like people who give me excuses for reason why they should not do their jobs much. Look, even a baby in Quagadougou can easily tell you that the Federal government in Nigeria has not been doing it's job for the past 50 years. Why would we want to hire people to tell us what we have known since the end of colonialism? If he can not wake up to the fact that the collapse of that bridge will affect his states economy and so it is up to him to step in to make sure it does not happen, then he is an incompetent man for the job. And we ought to look for people who can do work, rather than give us loads of stupid excuses. Look again at what the Lagos governor has been able to accomplish in that same country, in a period of a year or more. Peter Obi has been in office for longer, what has he accomplished that can compare??
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by c33b33(m): 5:06pm On Sep 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

YES I am. We need to hold these governors to higher standards rather than continue to swallow the same old nonsense from them. That bridge is essential to the states economy and he thinks it is ok for him to say the federal government is to blame and that sort of means he is not to do something about the situation, as in invest state money in the bridges maintainance?? That is what the lagos state government did.
you are really funny!is that not same formula that wants to be used for the Niger Bridge,the FG brings some amount,the state government brings some,then the contractor source for fund from the private sector with the assistance of the government.Or you want to tell me only Fashola paid for rehabilitating the third mainland bridge.What Peter Obi is complaining is that the FG hasn't called for a meeting btween it and the states[anambra & delta}.Don't you know that it was Tinubu who started the 3rd mainland bridge talks with OBJ before this administration or you think the project just started overnight? cool
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On Sep 27, 2008
c33b33:

you are really funny!is that not same formula that wants to be used for the Niger Bridge,the FG brings some amount,the state government brings some,then the contractor source for fund from the private sector with the assistance of the government.Or you want to tell me only Fashola paid for rehabilitating the third mainland bridge.What Peter Obi is complaining is that the FG hasn't called for a meeting btween it and the states[anambra & delta}.Don't you know that it was Tinubu who started the 3rd mainland bridge talks with OBJ before this administration or you think the project just started overnight? cool

That is not the same formula. I am sorry I disagree. The Third Mainland was not on the verge of collapse. The problem with the Niger bridge did not start overnight. The problem has built up over years of lack in the area of maintainance. Ask your government when last he considered spending some state money to ensure the bridge remains in good condition for his own people's sake? This problem with the federal government did not start todayy and so coming  in 2 minutes to bridge collapse to tell us that the federal government is not doing it's job is ridiculous.

Let us assume the state and federal are supposed to jointly fund bridge renovation in this case but has so far refused. It that enough reason for the state to allow the bridge collapse then?? What states will be primarily affected if this bridge goes down Will sitting back and blaming the federal government somehow alleviate the many problems that will ensue when the bridge collapses?? Will the cost of maintaining the bridge get cheaper then? Will the cost to the economy be worth this current inaction on the part of the state governments? Do you really think Peter Obi should not right now be scrambling to get money, from even the people, to fix that bridge before it goes down?? Do I have to be in the country to understand that if that bridge goes down, the chances of it coming back up is seriously reduced considering the level of incompetence that continues to plague all levels of government in that country??
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by c33b33(m): 5:29pm On Sep 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

That is not the same formula. I am sorry I disagree. The Third Mainland was not on the verge of collapse. The problem with the Niger bridge did not start overnight. The problem has built up over years of lack in the area of maintainance. Ask your government when last he considered spending some state money to ensure the bridge remains in good condition for his own people's sake? This problem with the federal government did not start todayy and so coming in 2 minutes to bridge collapse to tell us that the federal government is not doing it's job is ridiculous.

Let us assume the state and federal are supposed to jointly fund bridge renovation in this case but has so far refused. It that enough reason for the state to allow the bridge collapse then?? What states will be primarily affected if this bridge goes down Will sitting back and blaming the federal government somehow alleviate the many problems that will ensue when the bridge collapses?? Will the cost of maintaining the bridge get cheaper then? Will the cost to the economy be worth this current inaction on the part of the state governments? Do you really think Peter Obi should not right now be scrambling to get money, from even the people, to fix that bridge before it goes down?? Do I have to be in the country to understand that if that bridge goes down, the chances of it coming back up is seriously reduced considering the level of incompetence that continues to plague all levels of government in that country??
lma0!!please be calm!i'm not supporting either government, what i wouldn't support is saying OBI hasn't done anything,that bridge would have collapsed before now if the state government hadn't done alittle rehab on it last two years.I WILL BE BACK! do my assignment
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Kobojunkie: 6:40pm On Sep 27, 2008
c33b33:

lma0!!please be calm!i'm not supporting either government, what i wouldn't support is saying OBI hasn't done anything,that bridge would have collapsed before now if the state government hadn't done alittle rehab on it last two years.I WILL BE BACK! do my assignment

See,  this is the sort of mediocre idea we accept in Nigeria, thinking that has any bearing to reality of things in that country. Good maintainance on that bridge would have prevented this sort of news this early in the history of the bridge we are speaking of here. Do you have any proof that he has done even tiny rehab on this bridge in the last two years? I mean apart from changing the welcome flags and the juju bowls that litter that bridge from time to time?
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Gamine(f): 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2008
AAh Thank God

Now those mainland people can stop whining in my ears

and those cab drivers have no excuse!!!
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Truequest(m): 7:48pm On Sep 27, 2008
Gamine:

AAh Thank God

Now those mainland people can stop whining in my ears

and those cab drivers have no excuse!!!

Thanks for bringing us back to the topic. Spending 3 to 4hrs to the Island, One can now heave a sigh of relief
Re: Relief As 3rd Mainland Bridge Opens by Mustay(m): 8:53am On Sep 28, 2008
It's time for the FG to grant Lagos' request for maintenance funds.

(1) (Reply)

Question For All Christians. / Join Us In This Historic Movements @ Nnewionline.com Social Network / Yar'adua's Convoy Stoned In Jos !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.