Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Can You Mix English With Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can You Mix English With Yoruba? (2577 Views)

Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) / How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? / Help Needed With Yoruba Proverbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Abojupupa: 1:09pm On Oct 02, 2008
Children labour to learn their mother tongues and students labour to learn English; but no one learns to mix English and Yoruba; yet people mix the two languages effortlessly. People believe it's fashionable to mix the indigenous language with English. Nairalanders, What do you think? Could you display your skill in combining English and Yoruba?
Mo feel pe o nice lati mix sentences mi.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Moyola(f): 1:11pm On Oct 02, 2008
Yes o, mo le mix e gidigan especially tin ba n sor'ro,
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Moyola(f): 1:12pm On Oct 02, 2008
Abojupupa:

Children labour to learn their mother tongues and students labour to learn English; but no one learns to mix English and Yoruba; yet people mix the two languages effortlessly. People believe it's fashionable to mix the indigenous language with English. Nairalanders, What do you think? Could you display your skill in combining English and Yoruba?
Mo feel pe o nice lati mix sentences mi.

Yeah it is,

or when u dont want other piple 2 understand wtchu sayin!!!
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by JustGood(m): 1:40pm On Oct 02, 2008
It's called Yoruglish
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Abojupupa: 1:57pm On Oct 02, 2008
Yoruglish? What is it?
E gba mi; se won ti so kinni yen di language niyen?
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by JustGood(m): 2:36pm On Oct 02, 2008
What else would you call it if not Yoruglish?
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by ayomifull(f): 3:35pm On Oct 02, 2008
Its actually quite hard to speak yoruba without mixing it with english however little.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Abojupupa: 12:05pm On Oct 03, 2008
@moyola, you said this is a strategy when you don't want others to understand what you are saying. are there other reasons why people use it?
@ ayomiful; it looks like people just want to show off with the language, not that they cannot speak only yoruba. Or can we all try and 'speak' yoruba on this thread?
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by ayomifull(f): 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2008
Abojupupa:

@ ayomiful; it looks like people just want to show off with the language, not that they cannot speak only yoruba. Or can we all try and 'speak' yoruba on this thread?

Its not about showing off its about the fact that we were not taught in school with our mother tongue, its absolutely difficult if not impossible to speak plain yoruba without mixing it with english.
For example would it be easier for you to say

ANYTIME TI MO BA DELE LATI OFFICE MAA MAKE SURE PE MO WO BED IMMEDIATELY

or

IGBAKUGBA TI MO BA DELE LATI ILE ISE MAA RI DAJU WIPE MO WO ORI IBUSUN NI OJUESE.

You see what i mean? You can see that anyone will find it easier mixing that statement with english than going straight on yoruba, its not our fault anyway, we've been learning english from our mama's tummy, would have not been the case if we were taught in school in our own language.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by titilaelae(f): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2008
O easy lati mix English pelu Yoruba now! In fact, anybody to ba lo si school gbodo mix e ni sha no matter how. Awon illiterates nikan ni won ma restrict ara won si pure and unadulterated Yoruba language. As long as teeyan ba ti communicate, mi o ro pe o bad rara. Even awon parents wa ti won lo si school naa wa fond of mixing them jare. Won le so pe "Mo tele last born mi lo si PTA Meeting ni weekend, bi mo se pade man kan ni yen, o wa remind mi pe a ti jo sise po ni UAC ni early 80s"

Stark illiterate nikan lo le so bayi instead: "Mo tele abikeyin omo mi lo si ipade obi ati oluko ni opin ose, nibe ni mo ti pade ogbeni kan ti o ran mi leti pe a dijo sise po ni UAC ni igba kan ri"

Yoruba nikan ko lo man mix ede bayi, other tribes, especially Ibos naa ma nmix daada.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by moHot(f): 5:08pm On Oct 06, 2008
@ (ni) titilaelae

mo enjoy e jare, but mi o agree pelu wen u said awon illiterates nikan ni won man so plain yoruba, awon illiterates gan man mix e, ok check eleyi out:

jo sare lobami ra minerals(aka fanta)wa , oo ,le gbo pe

jo sare lo ba mi ra oti elerindodo wa.

se o ri pe yoruba unique gan
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Cayon(f): 10:33pm On Oct 06, 2008
wetin mess grin grin grin
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Nobody: 12:55am On Oct 07, 2008
yesh u can oooo kiss kiss kiss
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by titilaelae(f): 8:14am On Oct 07, 2008
moHot:

@ (ni) titilaelae

mo enjoy e jare, but mi o agree pelu when u said awon illiterates nikan ni won man so plain yoruba, awon illiterates gan man mix e, ok check eleyi out:

jo sare lobami ra minerals(aka fanta)wa , oo ,le gbo pe

jo sare lo ba mi ra oti elerindodo wa.

se o ri pe yoruba unique gan

O right jare, ma binu. Mo ranti pe grandma mi of blessed memory ma nso pe 'eyin omo yi, e ma fowo kan telifishan yen o (ko je so pe 'amohunmaworan). Won tun ma npe kishinni, toileti, silipas, feremu (frame), gilasi, motor etc. Bee sii ni gbogbo awon oro yi ni won ni Yoruba equivalence. So illiterates gan ja si, won ri gbo, joo-joo wink wink
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by cutey01(f): 2:19am On Oct 10, 2008
Ko difficult ati mix English ati yoruba at all. Infact, n kan ti mo n se everytime ni yen.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Abojupupa: 8:45am On Oct 10, 2008
What beats me is that without being taught, speakers know whether an expression is correct or wrong; they do not just mix the two languages anyhow. Compare the two statements below:

1. MI O LIKE BI FRIEND E SE TREAT MI LANA

2. I KO FERAN HOW ORE YOU SE ME YESTERDAY

Many people will agree that the first sentence is acceptab;le but the second is not.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Sisikill: 2:30pm On Oct 10, 2008
True Itan!

Two days ago, my mom said to me in Yoruba –  wo bo ya rice yen ti jino, I came back and said “No it has not jino-ed” She give me the all suffering sigh, you know. . . the one only mothers can do and says “Ma soro beyen” . Of course I’m confused coz it’s not an issue for me, so I say “soro-ing like how” Oh boy, now she thinks I’m doing it on purpose and say “Soro bi omo alabindi”

Ay!

Seriously, what is the big deal? If I want to say jadaing or dobaleing or duroing. . . why not? She shakes her head in resignation. . . you know the way only mothers can do and calls me Oma malla ti o mo Yoruba so and tells me I better be careful so it doesn’t mo me lara oh.

Oy!

So as much as I want to join this Ipade of Yorunglish speakers, I beru my mama gidigan to go there. Honestly, Mama Sisi does not sere with things like these.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by cutey01(f): 3:59pm On Oct 10, 2008
Sisikill:

Two days ago, my mom said to me in Yoruba – wo bo ya rice yen ti jino, I came back and said “No it has not jino-ed” , so I say “soro-ing like how” .
So as much as I want to join this Ipade of Yorunglish speakers, I beru my mama gidigan to go there. Honestly, Mama Sisi does not sere with things like these.
Honestly, this is very unusual. Mixing Yoruba with English comes to people naturally and like what Abojupupa said; you don't need a teacher to teach you the art of mixing.
For instance, instead of saying "No, it has not jino-ed", most people would've simply said: "No, ko tii jina". If you had said that, I'm sure your mum wouldn't have complained. All Yorubas mix Youruba with English once in a while.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Sisikill: 5:10pm On Oct 10, 2008
LOL! The truth is none of us really speaks Yoruba at home except my mom, so you see we feel sorry for the poor woman and try to give a a token Yoruba speak once in a while. My saying it has not jino-ed is supposed be jara for her. Abi can someone se ore and je bi on it too? grin grin
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by naomijt(f): 3:50am On Oct 11, 2008
iru nonsense wo le yi? Se en try [/b]lati ma [b]insult mother tongue mi ko niyen cheesy

i try abi
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by Abojupupa: 1:46pm On Oct 15, 2008
O ga o. O dabi pe awon ladies nikan ni won ti master mixture English ati Yoruba. I even learnt from friends that ladies don't encourage guys to speak yoruba or a mixture to them.
Re: Can You Mix English With Yoruba? by aragold: 3:18pm On Oct 15, 2008
Yes ke!! Abi u dont agree with me? Omo yoruba dat can not mix english a ti yoruba together, has so nu'd!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Uses Of Noni / 21 Questions Every Youth Must Answer+(12 Principles Of Choosing Marriage Partner / Wike Urges New Oba Of Ogbaland To Emulate His Late Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.