Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,534 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? (9484 Views)

Teens Revolution In Nollywood. / Will Kelani's New Film Maami With Funke Akindele Be A Revolution In Nollywood? / The Revolution In Nigeria Film (del York International) (new York Film Academy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by Thirdborn: 7:45am On Oct 25, 2008
@EbonyMerma
Whew! now i get it. You just love the African feeling thingy, OK we can give you that. But what really jerks our chain (most of us) is the quality, a lot of the content sucks too, but the quality really kills us. We just wanna see better.
If you saw one of these movies in a format that was similar to , say, The SOULFOOD movie, you'd enjoy it more. TRUE or FALSE?
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by BabyJinx: 2:30pm On Oct 25, 2008
I dey here oh just from the powers that be of Owoland, you never know what mood they are until you find yer sef out of the land for reasons that tickle their fancy. grin
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by vescucci(m): 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2008
Still wetting ur bed over Some Egomaniac Under Nairaland?

I nearly had a heart attack after reading EbonyMerma's take. After she 'enlightened' us on her position I guess it makes sense to love to see African movies with African mistakes, eh?

@everybody else. Is there anything we can do (asides complain) to help. I wanna be proactive but our situation has left nothing akin to a starting point.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 6:49pm On Oct 25, 2008
[quoteIf you saw one of these movies in a format that was similar to , say, The SOULFOOD movie, you'd enjoy it more. TRUE or FALSE?[quote][/quote]

Oh okay, I see what you are speaking of. You would like for the overall quality of Nollywood movies to be enhanced. The film, lighting, transitional scenes and props. I agree with you on that, but Nollywood has to start somewhere. I have read that some Nigerians are embarassed by the quality of the movies. But there's no need to be embarassed, the success of Nollywood will happen with small steps towards are more bigger plan. I feel that Nollywood is on it's way.

Alot of the Igbo movies, are more westernized. I myself, enjoy a more authentic Nollywood movie, but the money can come from the west if Nollywood movies are made with a little more focus on western views with an African flare. I hate that it is like that, but it's the same with hip hop. There was a time when hip hop in America was very underground and only good enough for african americans and other blacks.

Then hip hop became more acceptable to whites, when the overall tone of the lyrics lacked social awareness. This began the dumbing of hip hop, which now lacks in quality. I think this is your concern with Nollywood movies. The thing about it is; Using hip hop as a comparison, Hip hop artists were able to make more money, and become more mainstream once the lyrics began to have no meaning. I am hoping that this dynamic and the social contribution of hip hop music will change with the election of a black president.

So once again, it's a slow progression. What I would recommend to Nollywood is to keep the black actors, keep them dark and beautiful, or light and spicy. Continue to show images of black people being African and enjoying African culture, but I feel there needs to be a balance of more positive storylines and that's the same with black movies here in America.

But just because the storylines are sometimes negative, I know that the actors are just expressing their talent and making their money. A movie can be as unrealistic as it wants to be, but that's no reflection on true Africanism, it's just a story and most people who want to see that, will. I just feel there should be more balance.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 7:08pm On Oct 25, 2008
Still wetting ur bed over Some Egomaniac Under Nairaland?

I nearly had a heart attack after reading EbonyMerma's take. After she 'enlightened' us on her position I guess it makes sense to love to see African movies with African mistakes, eh?

@everybody else. Is there anything we can do (asides complain) to help. I want to be proactive but our situation has left nothing akin to a starting point.

Again, Like I said above, it's a slow progression. You know what's different about the west is that America can produce a crappy movie and still be proud of Hollywood. The movie may tank at the box office, but people wont' say "Hollywood" stinks. They will attribute the failure of a movie to the producer who produced it. So it's not Nollywood that stinks, or Nollywood that needs to change. Those Nollywood actors and actress work their butts off. It's really about bring proud of what you have while making tweaks along the way. Sometimes blacks/africans are so overly- critical of how the world views us. So there is some Nollywood embarassment on the board here because of that.

But just watch, over time, Nollywood will get more funding, more actors and actresses and a balance of storylines. With the emergence of a black president (hopefully) we will start to value our gifts and talents as black people and stop being so overly critical of how the world views us. We dance the best, we sing the best. Africa taught the world what it knows, the money just isn't there for us. That is what has to change, Africans are "all that" and people in the west have always hated that.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by Thirdborn: 11:33pm On Oct 25, 2008
@ EbonyMerma
Don't take this the wrong way but i am starting to get pissed. I f you are that much a fan of Nolly you should know that its been like 20 years and the film made 20 years ago and today have no differences. About funding, believe me when i say there is more than adequate funding for good films but cos of greed and people who keep praising these crappy work of doom, the filmmakers go "Oh they are enjoying the shit we feed them so why not feed them some more shit instead of giving them ice-cream". Get my point

Hiphop became accepted world-wide because the world finally started listening and not because hiphop changed to suit anybody. Your theory is wrong cos gangster rap was even being enjoyed by white sub-urban kids. So if you think the world is suddenly going to wake up and say "wow, these Nigerian films are good why haven't we been watching them all this time?" Girl, you are in for the biggest shocker of your life , but then again you knew it was all a pile of bull didn't you.

And please don't compare Hollywood movies with Nolly please. You said, and i quote"You know what's different about the west is that America can produce a crappy movie and still be proud of Hollywood. The movie may tank at the box office, but people wont' say "Hollywood" stinks." Hollywood occasionally makes crappy movies, but we do it here all the time, its a business.

Puh-lease! No more crap about Nollywood actors working their but off. I mean come on you've seen some of these films, does that look like work to you, personally i think its just one big JOKE.

@vescucci
Relax my brother, the revolution has started. Trust me you'll feel it soon.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 4:39am On Oct 26, 2008

Don't take this the wrong way but i am starting to get pissed. I f you are that much a fan of Nolly you should know that its been like 20 years and the film made 20 years ago and today have no differences. About funding, believe me when i say there is more than adequate funding for good films but because of greed and people who keep praising these crappy work of doom, the filmmakers go "Oh they are enjoying the shit we feed them so why not feed them some more shit instead of giving them ice-cream". Get my point

Sweetie, calm down, Don't get pissed. lol I was just stating my opinion. It's obvious that if the makers of these movies have adequate funding, the funds aren't being used to enhance the quality of Nollywood films. Just give it sometime. Everything must change, nothing stays the same. Not even the current state of Nollywood. I am the kind of person who is very optimistic. I have an idealistic viewpoint. Don't be so pessimistic, Nollywood will get better.

And please don't compare Hollywood movies with Nolly please. You said, and i quote"You know what's different about the west is that America can produce a crappy movie and still be proud of Hollywood. The movie may tank at the box office, but people wont' say "Hollywood" stinks." Hollywood occasionally makes crappy movies, but we do it here all the time, its a business.

Sweetie, you are the one who compared Nollywood movies with Hollywood movies by asking if I would like to see Nollywood movies produced with the same quality as "Soul Food". You won't see Americans disliking Hollywood, because of a few crappy movies. Most Americans know not to waste their money on box office bombs. So that is my suggestion, the way to get your message across is to stop buying those Nollywood movies that you feel are crappy. And to say that Nollywood makes crappy movies all the time, I think is just your opinion. Like I've said before, I've seen some good Nollywood movies and I know that overtime the quality of Nollywood movies will improve.

Puh-lease! No more crap about Nollywood actors working their but off. I mean come on you've seen some of these films, does that look like work to you, personally i think its just one big JOKE.

LOL, you're so frustrated. Gosh. Yes, I feel that Nollywood actors work their butts off. They do their best with what they have to work with. Why don't you become more proactive, instead of reactive and do what you can to help since these Nollywood movies annoy you so much. Maybe you could start your own acting school. Or get a camera, lighting and your own funding and produce a top notch Nollywood film that will set a new standard for Nollywood.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 5:45am On Oct 26, 2008
Have you seen this Nollywood trailer yet. This movie is called "The Tenant".

The quality looks better, but I am mad because he's boinking a big nose white woman. I think that nigerian women are soooo beautiful. Why couldn't they use a nigerian woman? Now I'm ticked off. lol
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 5:45am On Oct 26, 2008
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 5:55am On Oct 26, 2008
Oh, I read the story line wrong, he's not boinking a white girl in the movie, he is with a black woman. But she's not nigerian.

See that is what I am afraid of. If white investors start to invest in Nollywood, the movies will become more Americanized. In America, femininity is equated with being light or white. While masculintity is equated with being very dark. In this movie, that is what I see. A very dark man, with a lighter woman who isn't Nigerian.
In Hollywood, the America beauty standard is a white woman, or very light woman.

When you really look the trailer, there's only ONE nigerian in the movie. That's not good. As black people, we need to make sure that this doesn't happen. I like the current Nollywood movies, because everybody is black. I feel that Nollywood should keep it that way.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by BabyJinx: 6:46am On Oct 26, 2008
@EbonyMerma
It's nice you love the Nollywood movies. . . it really is. I've read some of this reasons you like these movies and I am at a loss as to why you think making the movies better equals losing all the elements you like in the movies. We're are asking for better quality movies with good directing, editting, sensible storyline, great acting. . . in short we are asking for GOOD MOVIES, please let's be clear on that.

Re: The Tenant

Did you read the synopsis? Oh you know what, they do actually tell us what the movie is about in the trailer so never mind about reading the synopsis. Anyway, the reason I ask is because I don't understand why you'd expect him to be with a Nigerian girl when clearly the movie calls for him not to be with one. The storyline is about a Nigerian in a foreign country, doing everything humanly possible to remain in the country, the people he is around are foreigners. . . and it is believable that he'd be with a girl who isn't Nigerian. So why must we expect him to be with a Nigerian Girl just because he is Nigerian. . . which brings me to another point, the fact that a movie is a Nollywood movie does not mean everyone in it has to be Nigerian. I mean, that's like crying foul about an American Movie losing its "authenticity" because the entire cast isn't American.

And your statement "See that is what I am afraid of.  If white investors start to invest in Nollywood, the movies will become more Americanized" is so funny. . . I don't know what movies you've been watching but Nollywood Movies don't need "white investors" to be Americanized. They are doing a pretty fine job of it themselves. Do a quick google search on Nairaland for threads complaining about how so out of touch with the Nigerian way of life Nollywood has gotten because of their lame attempt to be more Americanized.

Finally, I have to give you credit on the approach you've taken. . . "The I'm a foreigner and I like Nollywood Movie" approach I mean. That's a sure way to keep from getting dismissed as just another Blind "National Pride" badge wearer and honestly, it's would have been believable if it weren't so transparent. Just between you and me, you over-played the "Oh they are so refreshing not like American Movies with all the sex and more sex" hand. Lmao, again I ask, what movies have you been watching? 

Lol, look don't get me wrong, you did a fine job but underneath it all, the usual "Nollywood Defendingness" we've seen in the likes of kanto and others. . . only gentler, just seeps out. So do us all a favor and stop with the games, we both know you ain't no foreigner in love with Naija movies (not that it's not possible. . . not just in this case).
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 12:02pm On Oct 26, 2008
@Baby Jinx

OMG, I can't believe that you are questioning my love for Nollywood movies. I am clear that Nigerians want better quality Nollywood movies, but I've seen time and time again how Nigerians compare Nollywood to Hollywood in terms of directing, editting, storylines and so on.

Of course I didn't read the synopsis at first. I immediately watched the trailer as I think most people would. I read the synopsis after and I still don't like it. Why is "The Tenant" a Nigerian movie, with only ONE Nigerian actor? That's weird to me. Don't you find that weird? Just because he is in a foreign country doesn't mean that they can't match him with a Nigerian love interest. My reason for liking Nigerian movies is because everybody is Nigerian. I've never seen a movie with Nigerians ever. I just love it. In America, we are often shown images of Africans living in poverty, lying in dirt with bugs flying all around. And then there's always this one white guy who loves to drive around Africa chasing lions and tigers while making friends with monkeys, like that all that Africa has to offer. So in my quest to know what Africa really looks like, I found Nollywood movies, I found photos and pictures of African weddings and cultural events. Nigerian fashion shows and so on. This is what I wanted to see and I like it.

I don't know if you live in America, but when I watch American programming, I am annoyed by the over-saturation of white faces. One day I just counted them all. I clicked through 159 channels and saw 154 white faces and 5 black faces. I simply can not stand it sometimes.

Like I said before, I've seen some Nollywood movies that attempted to be more Americanized and I do not find them interesting. "Beyonce and Rhiana", that was awful. My favorite Nollywood movie so far is "Letters to a Stranger". It's a very nice movie with an all Nigerian cast. There's nothing wrong with that. I felt the romance and love in this movie and towards the end I wondered, Did Jamima and Sadiq ever knock boots? No, they didn't, there were no sex scenes at all. Just love, communication, understanding and comedy. Its a very innocent movie and quite charming.

Finally, I have to give you credit on the approach you've taken. . . "The I'm a foreigner and I like Nollywood Movie" approach I mean. That's a sure way to keep from getting dismissed as just another Blind "National Pride" badge wearer and honestly, it's would have been believable if it weren't so transparent. Just between you and me, you over-played the "Oh they are so refreshing not like American Movies with all the sex and more sex" hand. Lmao, again I ask, what movies have you been watching?

I don't know if you're being a bit condesending, but I'm very honest. I have no reason to over-state my position on Nollywood movies. I only wish that Nigerians would continue to see the potential that Nollywood has without becoming negative in regards to Nollywood movies that is already on the market. I believe in the Laws of Attraction. What people think about, they bring about. So if you believe that Nollywood movies suck because they are becoming too Americanized, because of editting and blah blah blah, then Nollywood movies will continue to suck. That's just the way it goes. The focus should be on what you want for Nollywood, not on what you don't want.

We both know you ain't no foreigner in love with Naija movies (not that it's not possible. . . not just in this case).

Sigh, I have professed my love over and over again. Do you not trust me? Well then this relationship is just OVER! I beg of you, please know that I am true. *bowing*

~~Ebony Mermaid
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 12:35pm On Oct 26, 2008
@ Baby jinx

btw, I like your blog, ha ha, you're funny. grin
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by vescucci(m): 5:15pm On Oct 26, 2008
Methinks Ebonymerma is a lost cause undecided

People do not blame Hollywood for their not-so-good movies because the good ones more than make up for them. Nollywood on the other hand cannot get anything right and the reverse seems to be the case.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 8:24pm On Oct 26, 2008
@ Ves

Methinks Ebonymerma is a lost cause

People do not blame Hollywood for their not-so-good movies because the good ones more than make up for them. Nollywood on the other hand cannot get anything right and the reverse seems to be the case.

Well, if that's what you want to believe sweetheart, then it shall be. And you're correct, I will be a lost cause because I believe in Nollywood's potential. And actually a lot of Hollywood movies these days haven't been so good. Sure people still buy their tickets and go, but most are beginning to feel as though Hollywood producers are running out of creative ideas with the recycling of movies from the past and old television programs; example being
-- Dreamgirls
-- Batman Begins (over and over)
-- Daisy Duke/Dukes of Hazards.
--The Longest Yard
-- and so on
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by Thirdborn: 11:18pm On Oct 26, 2008
@EbonyMerma
Ohhhh God! you just don't get it. and oh no you didn't, i don't live in America but i ain't dumb. You mean to tell of all the tv channels you went through you never came across BET, andoh, Master P is out with one called BBTV. that is if black faces is all you wanna see.

Sheesh, Baby Jinx said what i felt in my gut, maybe you ain't a foreigner at all. But thats just me, and him/her, baby jinx which one you be sef?

I'd take a Batman part 20 over Nollywood crap anyday.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 11:51pm On Oct 26, 2008
@ThirdBorn

Sweetie, I think that YOU don't get it. Yes one of the black people I couldn't was from a BET channel. Have you ever seen a BET movie? Violence, guns, drugs, shooting, black women playing whores and crack heads. Now that's garbage to me. Hollywood, is OKAY, but in my opinion it's too white. Every now and again, blacks in the states are surprised with a black movie. Maybe 3 or 4 a year. Other than that, we have to watch garbage on BET or pull out our DVD stash or watch hip hop videos. The only television show that I really like with a black cast is Run's House. It's a reality show featuring Rev Run from Run DMC and his family. What I'm trying to say is that in the American media, over-saturation of white faces is what you see all day everyday.

I like Nollywood movies because everyone is black. And once again, I feel that the quality of Nollywood movies will improve overtime.

Sheesh, Baby Jinx said what i felt in my gut, maybe you ain't a foreigner at all. But thats just me, and him/her, baby jinx which one you be sef?

I'm not sure if labeling me as a foreigner is an insult. But one doesn't have to be a Nigerian to enjoy Nollywood movies! *crying*

lol (not really)
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by vescucci(m): 1:07pm On Oct 27, 2008
EbonyMerma, you are either extremely optimistic or you're just so bored of Hollywood that anything else seems like the ish. Anyways we need folks like you to change stuff. So anytime you are free come down and invest in the fledgling industry. We'll be happy to indulge you grin
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by BabyJinx: 2:22pm On Oct 27, 2008
The Tenant is a movie made by Nigerians, don’t necessarily mean it’s a Nollywood movie, just like there are movies made by Americans which aren’t necessarily Hollywood movies.

EbonyMerma:

@Baby Jinx

OMG, I can't believe that you are questioning my love for Nollywood movies.  I am clear that Nigerians want better quality Nollywood movies, but I've seen time and time again how Nigerians compare Nollywood to Hollywood in terms of directing, editting, storylines and so on. 

Of course I didn't read the synopsis at first.  I immediately watched the trailer as I think most people would.  I read the synopsis after and I still don't like it.  Why is "The Tenant" a Nigerian movie, with only ONE Nigerian actor?  That's weird to me.  Don't you find that weird?  Just because he is in a foreign country doesn't mean that they can't match him with a Nigerian love interest.  My reason for liking Nigerian movies is because everybody is Nigerian.  I've never seen a movie with Nigerians ever.  I just love it.  In America, we are often shown images of Africans living in poverty, lying in dirt with bugs flying all around.  And then there's always this one white guy who loves to drive around Africa chasing lions and tigers while making friends with monkeys, like that all that Africa has to offer.   So in my quest to know what Africa really looks like, I found Nollywood movies,  I found photos and pictures of African weddings and cultural events. Nigerian fashion shows and so on.  This is what I wanted to see and I like it.

LOL! Do you realize you are doing the same thing  the “American” media does when they portray Africans as tree living, lion befriending, leaf wearing people. . . You are putting us in a box and refusing to let us out coz God forbid that happens,  it means we are losing their Authencity or African-ness.

There is a bigger world out there, to be seen, to be explored. . . To be enjoyed, through art, music, movies, literature. . . Why would you want to limit yourself just because you think doing so is being Americanized?  Look I am not saying Nigerians movies should be peppered with foreign. . . White actors, what I am saying is that sometimes, Nigerians do get to meet people who aren’t you know. . . Nigerians, so why shouldn’t it be depicted in the movies they make or stories they tell?

You want to learn about Africa, then you gotta look beyond the movies, it was a good first step but now it’s time to move unto something with more depth. You know what’s ironic, Americans call people, who use Americans movies as a measure of what America really is. . . Ignorant.

I don't know if you live in America, but when I watch American programming, I am annoyed by the over-saturation of white faces.  One day I just counted them all.  I clicked through 159 channels and saw 154 white faces and 5 black faces.  I simply can not stand it sometimes.

Like I said before, I've seen some Nollywood movies that attempted to be more Americanized and I do not find them interesting.  "Beyonce and Rhiana",  that was awful.  My favorite Nollywood movie so far is "Letters to a Stranger".  It's a very nice movie with an all Nigerian cast.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I felt the romance and love in this movie and towards the end I wondered,  Did Jamima and Sadiq ever knock boots?  No, they didn't,  there were no sex scenes at all.  Just love, communication, understanding and comedy.   Its a very innocent movie and quite charming.

Please, please don’t use Nollywood as a tool in your “fight the man” battle, we do not or at least trying not to live in a world where everything and anything remotely progressive is labeled “ being white”. . . because you’ll end up hurting that which you proclaim you love.

I don't know if you're being a bit condesending,  but I'm very honest.  I have no reason to over-state my position on Nollywood movies.  I only wish that Nigerians would continue to see the potential that Nollywood has without becoming negative in regards to Nollywood movies that is already on the market.  I believe in the Laws of Attraction.  What people think about, they bring about.  So if you believe that Nollywood movies suck because they are becoming too Americanized, because of editting and blah blah blah,  then Nollywood movies will continue to suck.  That's just the way it goes.  The focus should be on what you want for Nollywood, not on what you don't want.

Lmao! EbernyMerma, please don’t tell us about seeing the potential in Nollywood movies. This thread won’t be up if we didn’t see the potential in Nollywood movies, we won’t be passionate about the a revolution if we didn’t see the potential in Nollywood movies. Just because we reuse to cuddle, make excuses and applaud mediocrity does not mean we do not see the potential in Nigeria Movies.

Sigh,  I have professed my love over and over again.  Do you not trust me?  Well then this relationship is just OVER!  I beg of you, please know that I am true.  *bowing*

~~Ebony Mermaid

Tee hee hee cheesy cheesy

EbonyMerma:

@ Baby jinx

between, I like your blog,  ha ha, you're funny.   grin

Thinking to self. . . Naija Movie Style

She thinks my blog is funny? This means she got the sarcarsm? Hmmm, maybe she is foreign afterall.  shocked tongue

Thank You! grin
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by BabyJinx: 2:25pm On Oct 27, 2008
vescucci:

Methinks Ebonymerma is a lost cause  undecided

Hey Vesc, lay of my new best friend. . . and no, no, no, I am not saying that coz she thinks I'm funny or because she likes my blog. I am saying it because I believe in the. . . I want her to. . . I mean we have the. . . oh alright, I am a compliment LovePeddler, sue me! tongue
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by BabyJinx: 2:27pm On Oct 27, 2008
Thirdborn:

baby jinx which one you be sef?

Na wa oh! You are just breaking my heart like this, I thought by now. . . you will be able to recognize me anywhere! cry
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 6:49pm On Oct 27, 2008
@ Ves

Yes, I am an optimistic person;  again, I believe in the Laws of Attraction.  Nollywood movies are great and will improve.  I think that I said before that I am going to start purchasing the Nollywood movies that I like and I may even invite my girls over for Nollywood night or a Nollywood movie marathon, because that's just how much I like them. 

In your revolutionary approach to improve the state of Nollywood, remember to focus on what you like about these movies and only purchase the movies that you like.  Try not to focus on what you don't like, thus turning the conversation into a negative one.  Once people start to have negative views in regards to Nollywood movies, the movies will continue to have all of the components that make Nollywood movies unlikeable.  That's how "The Law" works.

We'll be happy to indulge you

Indulge me darling,  INDULGE me.  Mmmmmmm,  I like it like that.  ha ha

~~Ebony Mermaid
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2008
@Baby Jinx

The Tenant is a movie made by Nigerians, don’t necessarily mean it’s a Nollywood movie, just like there are movies made by Americans which aren’t necessarily Hollywood movies.

True,,  I have no rebuttal.  You have completely shut me up on that one.  brb, my teapot is whistling.

LOL! Do you realize you are doing the same thing the “American” media does when they portray Africans as tree living, lion befriending, leaf wearing people. . . You are putting us in a box and refusing to let us out because God forbid that happens, it means we are losing their Authencity or African-ness.

Back.   Well, isn't that why you and Ves want to see a Nollywood revolution? Well one of many other reasons?  Because some Nollywood movies are becoming too Americanized?  I know I read that somewhere on this thread.  Or are you just blowing hot air, like my tea kettle? Do you really want to view a Nollywood movie staring Tom Cruise as Adewale Okoye?  Sweetie, I don't want Nollywood to be placed in a box.  I don't even think that Nollywood is in a box.  When the quality of Nollywood movies improve, Nollywood will be a force to reckon with.  That I know and that's what I would love to see.

There is a bigger world out there, to be seen, to be explored. . . To be enjoyed, through art, music, movies, literature. . . Why would you want to limit yourself just because you think doing so is being Americanized? Look I am not saying Nigerians movies should be peppered with foreign. . . White actors, what I am saying is that sometimes, Nigerians do get to meet people who aren’t you know. . . Nigerians, so why shouldn’t it be depicted in the movies they make or stories they tell?

I am very curious, so I do read.   I view all kinds of movies, thanks to YouTube and other online video sites.  I really would like to visit Nigeria when I finish school.  I'm going to come and stay at your house if you don't mind.   So let the family know.  (lol - just kidding)  And I feel that is fine, if Nollywood wants to use non Nigerian actors, but examples like "The Tenant" is not the way to go.  Keep the majority Nigerian, what's wrong with that?

You want to learn about Africa, then you gotta look beyond the movies, it was a good first step but now it’s time to move unto something with more depth. You know what’s ironic, Americans call people, who use Americans movies as a measure of what America really is. . . Ignorant.

Once again, I do not use Nollywood movies as a way to measure Nigerian culture  LOL, that would be funny.  I know that they are actors, acting out scenes that are sometimes far fetched from the way that life really is.  Acting is a form of art and so that is what I view it as.  But I expose myself to more than just Nollywood, of course.

Lmao! EbernyMerma, please don’t tell us about seeing the potential in Nollywood movies. This thread won’t be up if we didn’t see the potential in Nollywood movies, we won’t be passionate about the a revolution if we didn’t see the potential in Nollywood movies. Just because we reuse to cuddle, make excuses and applaud mediocrity does not mean we do not see the potential in Nigeria Movies.

Well then we can agree that we are all passionate about Nollywood, but we have our own way of supporting the industry.  It's called free will.  You're right, we don't have to cuddle and make excuses or applaud Nollywood, but refering to these movies as mediocore will only attract more mediocrity.  It's the law of attraction at work.  I know that you see the potential and so that is what I try to focus on as well; Nollywood's potential.   But when you focus on the negative; negativity only begats more negativity and that's Real Talk there.

~~Ebony Mermaid
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by Thirdborn: 9:27pm On Oct 27, 2008
Well no0one here can say i din't try to talk to EbonyMerma. Abeg make una continue to dey talk to her sha.

@baby jinx, let's just pretend i'm an American with delusions and i can't say for sure which one you be, tell me bo!
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by BabyJinx: 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2008
I am sooooooooooooooooo quitting the band! I mean what is the point if the band leader can't even recognize me and my bad singing??

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooo angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by BabyJinx: 10:25pm On Oct 27, 2008
EbonyMerma, I suggest take more than a cursory glance at the thread to see EXACTLY what we mean by revloution. Please read from the VERY BEGINNING! I hear it's always a good place to start!

Hmmm, Why do I suddenly feel like watching Sounds of Music? Now THAT was a good movie
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by EbonyMerma(f): 3:48am On Oct 28, 2008
Well I don't feel like reading the whole thread darling. I just wanted to make my contribution and hop on to the next thread.  Then came the questions, and so I answered. 

But I'm not about to read the whole thread, it's not that serious to me.  I don't live in Nigeria so I wouldn't be part of the Nollywood revolution.  I have enough to worry about on my own turf with Obama becoming president and Bush moving along with his pathetic zest for death.   I have other revolutions to focus on. 

Was just adding my two cents.  So this is Ebony Mermaid, signing out.

Goodbye, Goodnight, and God Bless - 2 fingaz

p.s.  I will be checking your blog, so keep it spicy.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by vescucci(m): 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2008
EbonyMerma:

p.s. I will be checking your blog, so keep it spicy.

Well I guess she's raping you now!

@Ebony. See ya around. Just when I was 'getting' you.

So what'd y'all say we took this revolution up a notch?
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by Thirdborn: 10:19pm On Oct 28, 2008
You are playing my song Ves.

@Baby Jinx
E never reach quitting abeg. With Sisikill out for Lord knows how long, you can't go anywhere. Haba just because i lost no mean say you go vex like that.
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by Thirdborn: 10:49pm On Oct 28, 2008
My people, i wanted to pose a question to all. Do you believe that a new professional body like DGA (Directors Guild of America) should be created? With a few serious rules of course.

All films must meet a certain standard.
All films will be shown to a test audience before release to test audience reactions.
All films must be shot with standard equipment.

The list can go on and on (Una fit add una own). I know our usual haters will insult the hell out of us and say we want to kill the common man, there are no funds, blah blah blah. Remember that Nigerians will never push hard until you force them. During the banking sector reforms, when banks were told they'd go poof if they didn't have a capital base of 25 Billion, sure they cried for Soludo's head but look where we are at now, all banks are bragging about their pockets and images. Imagine what something similar will do for the film industry. It's quite simple "meet these standards or your films will not be screened".
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by lucabrasi(m): 12:56am On Oct 29, 2008
@thirdborn
understand ur comments now,nuifn do you grin as for the directors guild,like all other professional body if there hands are tied,and the marketers still run things it ll be difficult to controll or call them to order,there is a censorship board but you hardly feel their impact, the industry needs an overhaul first, it sounds good in theory but ask who is going to enforce it?
@ebony merm
there is no basis for comparison between hollywood and nollywood,lets forget about the money for a second,the sheer commitment directors producers,acors,actreses,script writers have in ollywood is more than nollywood,also for americans to attribute a bad film to the producer is because they have built hollywood to a solid and enviable level where a single movie or stering of movies cannot brin it down,their foundation is solid and based on awesome classics like cat on a hot tin roof,charlie chaplin movies,the frank sinatra,james dean e.t.c they have paid their dues what have the nollywood industry done in paying dues?what part of nollywood is doing things right?none so thats why we have to be factual and say it as it is,you can repair or amend what is partly spoilt but when there is an endemic decay then the only option is a complete overhaul or u will just be painting over cracks in the wall, after a while the paint fades and the cracks start shown again
Re: Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? by vescucci(m): 1:42pm On Oct 29, 2008
@Thirdborn, I very much like your idea but I'm afriad legalities will hamper that move. The best you could get will be for the Directors Guild to refuse to give a film their imprimatur. But as you know, the average Nigerian probably doesn't even know of the DG or their frigging sanction. Besides, he wouldn't care a pig's tit what the DG thinks of his film as long as Osufia goes to London or whichever other country invades his puny mind!

The last bit was just to enrage the pro-nollywoods

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Petition To Scrap The Nigerian Movie Industry / Supernatural Fan Page {plus SEASON9 discussions} / FAST AND FURIOUS 8 - What To Expect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.