Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (261) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (910973 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (508) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:18am On Jan 02, 2021
replete:

I really don't know but the mechanic removed it and sent his boy to take it to the repairer.
I actually doubted it at first reason why am still running ordinary water in it but the reservoir level haven't dropped since then though I noticed it dropped from F to about the L mark the next morning but ever since it has remained at that level. Still observing till my next oil change to revert to coolant.

High pressure systems should not be glued, they fail under stress.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by replete(m): 11:44am On Jan 02, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

High pressure systems should not be glued, they fail under stress.
Okay
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Rikudox4(m): 12:18pm On Jan 02, 2021
thonyman:
Car gurus, kindly advise,
My Toyota Highlander 2006 suddenly looses power to accelerate optimally after 4hours trip with check engine light turning now on after the 4hours drive but goes off when cool, it drives smoothly on short trip within the town for some weeks now, the loss of acceleration only happens anytime I go on long trip exceeding 4hours drive, this started of recent, also check engine light is now permanently showing.
So I purchased a scanner & got below code, i cleared the code but i know this won't resolve the catalyst issue.
Please kindly advise.
Cc Gazzuzz et al.
How much did you get the scanner and where?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aluluwan(m): 12:42pm On Jan 02, 2021
Hello everyone please how good is the 2006 toyota solara 4plugs
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by arcbaba: 12:59pm On Jan 02, 2021
Hi boss, when you say drain oil every 2k miles I am confused do you mean 2000.0 on trip A and Trip B? Cos I usually reset those after oil change: oil is 20w50 on Camry 2000
Cc gazzuzz
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DoctorG: 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2021
Happy New Year fellas!!!

Need help please. My car hardstarts in the mornings. I changed the kickstarter, then it got worse: it began to hardstart everytime you start the car.

Then i changed the cold start switch. It didn't get any better: it would hardstart at random and behave normal at random.

Then i changed the fuel pump and filter, then it went back to the origin problem: hardstating only in the mornings.

Car has been scanned. No faults relating to this. Something else i know already: gear mount.

Please i need help
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kingdemu: 7:32pm On Jan 02, 2021
DoctorG:
Happy New Year fellas!!!

Need help please. My car hardstarts in the mornings. I changed the kickstarter, then it got worse: it began to hardstart everytime you start the car.

Then i changed the cold start switch. It didn't get any better: it would hardstart at random and behave normal at random.

Then i changed the fuel pump and filter, then it went back to the origin problem: hardstating only in the mornings.

Car has been scanned. No faults relating to this. Something else i know already: gear mount.

Please i need help
Post the codes gotten from the scan
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Activity77(m): 9:33pm On Jan 02, 2021
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=97635700]

You will not find a new one for retail in the Nigerian market. You will however find aftermarket brands for as low as ₦30,000

Alright.... Let me work towards the money because I really need it.... Thanks alot
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Tisong007: 9:55pm On Jan 02, 2021
Hello good people, please my high beam headlight indicator is displayed on my dashboard when I start the car even when the light is off.

Secondly my headlight is not bright at night, please what do you suggest I do.

I'm using Toyota Camry 99 tiny light.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Ochima75(m): 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Replace transmission

Nawa ooh
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Munzy14(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2021
Tisong007:
Hello good people, please my high beam headlight indicator is displayed on my dashboard when I start the car even when the light is off.

Secondly my headlight is not bright at night, please what do you suggest I do.

I'm using Toyota Camry 99 tiny light.
Take it to a good auto electrician, to check the switch and bulbs...Ones their is a partial contact, or little issues, indicator must indicate on the dashboard.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Munzy14(m): 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2021
conyema12:

Unfortunately I have limited option here in Owerri.
I have already changed to a new manual Compressor. Let’s see how it goes.

Thanks Gazuzz
Oga you can't be in owerri and conplain abt your car AC when akintola AC is a final bus stop...

Go to new market owerri and locate akintola AC by bata...

Except his prizes are high, but their work is guaranteed.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Etizz: 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2021
Happy new year guys, please what does it mean when they say half and top engine if you half a picture illustration pls help...thanks a lot
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by seyema(m): 8:56pm On Jan 03, 2021
If a wrong Atf is been used for a long time in a car, will anything happen if change to the right one?

2001camry

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by SammyJac(m): 12:37am On Jan 04, 2021
Wrong Way To Park Your Car That Will Damage Your Gearbox

A wrong way to park an automatic transmission car can damage the gearbox and send you looking for a replacement sooner than is expected. This is a common mistake many drivers make on regular basis without knowing it. When the car is stopped many people push directly from D to P then apply the handbrake and turn off the engine. This parking is not correct. Pushing directly into the P gear puts the stress of the whole car on the P locking hole not on the handbrake. If you continue to do this for a long time, this will damage your gearbox.

The correct method is when the car is stopped, first push to the N gear and then apply the handbrake so that the force point of the car is on the handbrake. Next, push to the P gear then turn off the engine.

Copied.

Car gurus in the house, to what extent is the validity or otherwise of this claim?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:03am On Jan 04, 2021
Etizz:
Happy new year guys, please what does it mean when they say half and top engine if you half a picture illustration pls help...thanks a lot

First pic, half and top

Next pic complete engine .

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:04am On Jan 04, 2021
seyema:
If a wrong Atf is been used for a long time in a car, will anything happen if change to the right one?

2001camry

For that vehicle nothing will happen. You can switch back. The transmission built to last.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by AshipaEk0: 7:58am On Jan 04, 2021
Please I'm looking for wet cell car battery

The 'old school' type you can top up the acid and maintain
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by seanfer(m): 8:13am On Jan 04, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

First pic, half and top

Boss Happy New Year. Please how much can one get 2AZ-FE engine. Both half and top, and complete engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:35am On Jan 04, 2021
seanfer:

Boss Happy New Year. Please how much can one get 2AZ-FE engine. Both half and top, and complete engine.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Etizz: 9:08am On Jan 04, 2021
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=97697331]

First pic, half and top

[/quote

Oh God bless you my brother ,I really appreciate Sir....
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Danenergy: 12:39pm On Jan 04, 2021
I great the house....
I have 05/06 Corolla, am worried about the fuel consumption..it does 10Ltrs/100km city driving.
my friends say it supposed to be at least 7Ltrs/100km.
Am I supposed to be worried
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ksmart027(m): 12:52pm On Jan 04, 2021
Danenergy:
I great the house....
I have 05/06 Corolla, am worried about the fuel consumption..it does 10Ltrs/100km city driving.
The comsumption is it with ac or not ac, traffic or not?
But i think your fuel consumption is good considering our type of fuel and most filling station have tampered their meter.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Slickleo: 4:19pm On Jan 04, 2021
Danenergy:
I great the house....

Ur consumption is very fair.
The 7ltrs/100km is for highway not City driving
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by seyema(m): 6:41pm On Jan 04, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

For that vehicle nothing will happen. You can switch back. The transmission built to last.

Wow! Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by paroz: 7:52pm On Jan 04, 2021
Happy new year all, please I need help.

Car - Toyota Corolla 2006 jerks and stops after starting. When idle, it jerks forward like it would go off. When in motion, I accelerate harder to move it.
Mechanic thinks it is the fuel pump. What to do?

Please help!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Crocif: 9:39pm On Jan 04, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

I might be wrong, but this looks like a classic example of switching between mineral and synthetic oils after prolonged use.

This is my advice, throw out the current engine oil you are using and use a good brand of mineral oil 20w50. Your engine has seen better days and is on its last legs. In order to manage it you need thicker oil. Going forward you will need to consider rebuilding or replacing the engine.

For the startup issue, you still have a bad starter motor (kick starter) .

When using 20w50 pls drain oil every 2000miles

Good evening sir,

Thanks again for the tips. I finally brought the vehicle back from the East this afternoon and, I am cautiously optimistic that the vehicle engine may not be far gone after all. Now to what happened.

After getting the advice from this thread, I resolved to follow it to the letter. Get a good mineral oil: 20w50 or 10w40 as the case may be. Drain the current oil and make the switch; but before I could go ahead with the plan a friend of the family, who came for a visit, requested to inspect the vehicle for any obvious leaks after he got wind of my 'oil-shortage' story. The dude is not an auto mechanic but a regular DIY kinda guy who knows quite a bit about cars and their engines.

He first checked under the vehicle for any obvious leaks, found none, but noticed that the 'sump' seemed to have been worked on before. I quickly informed him that my mechanic opened it in Lagos to clean it up when we noticed the "check low engine oil level" light problem I mentioned in my earlier post. He then checked the exhaust and noted that there are tell-tail signs that the engine was burning oil because of some black residue from the exhaust fume he found.

He then opened the engine cover to check for any oil leaks and noticed that the PCV valve (blackened with oil residue), maybe the culprit. He took it out, inspected it and confirmed his suspicion. He tried without much success to explain how the PCV valve works and why a clogged valve could lead to engine oil shortage and a smokey exhaust.

Though confused, I went ahead to buy 2 carburettor cleaners as he instructed which he used meticulously to clean up the PCV valve. I was surprised to see that the cap of the PCV valve was not black but blue. The oil residue had so built up that I thought the colour was black. Anyways, he advised that I change it but in the interim, the cleanup he did would give temporary relief to some of the issues noted.

After reinstalling the PCV valve he started the vehicle, and like magic, the exhaust smoke went away. I was cautious not to celebrate just yet. I would need to test and see if this was the remedy I sought. I went to a local mechanic (in the East) and requested that he drain the current oil and refill with a full synthetic oil (5w30). I asked that he also change the oil filter in the process.

To test if the PCV valve solution worked, I felt it was necessary to put the vehicle in a similar condition it was in when I travelled from Lagos. If the test results in an oil shortage like before, then it may be a pointer that the engine needs to be changed or rebuilt ASAP. Yeah, I did not use Mobil 1 (5w20) like before for obvious reasons (I needed a pocket-friendly alternative for the test and a 5w30 is better for my vehicle since it has approximately 115k miles on it already). The mechanic recommended Hardex 5w30.

I got 6 litres of the product. Bought the extra litre in case the test failed and I needed an oil top-up on my way back to Lagos. After the 'servicing' yesterday, I realised that the vehicle was still not emitting smoke from the exhaust. I felt this was a good sign and set-off today for what felt like the journey of my life. Got to Ore and stopped to do a quick inspection of the vehicle. Saw that one of the exhaust was emitting some smoke (hardly noticeable though) and I thought it was because of the PCV valve I am yet to change. I could find the courage to turn off the vehicle and do a proper check because of the starter motor issue I mentioned in my earlier post. Though I had it changed before travelling, I was not confident in the product I bought.

After approximately 8 hours of driving, I finally got home, allowed the vehicle to cool for an hour or two and went to inspect the oil dipstick. Got it out, cleaned it and stuck it back in again. I got it out a second time and was pleased to see that the engine oil was almost at the exact level I started with when I left the East, though it was marginally lower. I thought this could go away when I get a new PCV valve as advised. So that was it.

For the starter motor, I got one that I know I am going to change. It is functional for now. I tried it when the vehicle was hot, though it started but, for a second it felt as if it was going to fail before it picked up again.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Crocif: 9:48pm On Jan 04, 2021
9icetoo:

Sorry about your issues with your mdx. Is the 07 mdx the first generation or the second generation?
The low oil light that comes up is usually as a result of the oil level sensor which fails prematurely on the second gen. There was a tsb to fix this. Sometimes just replacing the sensor fixes this issue.

Your engine sadly is on its last legs.
Like Gazzuzz said, switch to a thicker oil 10w40 or 20w50. You can buy any of the known brands such as castrol, total, Mobil, etc. Buy from a filling station or a reputable shop.

Check your oil level regularly and have spare oil.

Your kick starter is failing, however also check the wires to and from the kick starter. Look for oxidized or frayed wires and replace them.

Your vehicle may be failing to start when hot due to compression issues.

Toks engine on that car is not that expensive. Last I asked, I was told 280k.

When you rebuild engine, stick to 5w30 synthetic from a known brand (5w30 offer better engine protection but sacrifices fuel economy).

The engine is a high compression engine, mineral oils do work but better stay with the synthetic oils.

Good evening sir,

Please how do I resolve the "Low engine oil level" issue? I already changed the Oil switch but the problem persists. I would also like to know if you do not mind, how you managed your MDX for over 2 years without having any lights on the dashboard? Would truly love to have a similar experience to share. My dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. There are some lights that are quick fixes e.g TPMS but others seem difficult particularly the check engine light and the SH-AWD light.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:47am On Jan 05, 2021
Crocif:

Good evening sir,

Thanks again for the tips. I finally brought the vehicle back from the East this afternoon and, I am cautiously optimistic that the vehicle engine may not be far gone after all. Now to what happened.

After getting the advice from this thread, I resolved to follow it to the letter. Get a good mineral oil: 20w50 or 10w40 as the case may be. Drain the current oil and make the switch; but before I could go ahead with the plan a friend of the family, who came for a visit, requested to inspect the vehicle for any obvious leaks after he got wind of my 'oil-shortage' story. The dude is not an auto mechanic but a regular DIY kinda guy who knows quite a bit about cars and their engines.

He first checked under the vehicle for any obvious leaks, found none, but noticed that the 'sump' seemed to have been worked on before. I quickly informed him that my mechanic opened it in Lagos to clean it up when we noticed the "check low engine oil level" light problem I mentioned in my earlier post. He then checked the exhaust and noted that there are tell-tail signs that the engine was burning oil because of some black residue from the exhaust fume he found.

He then opened the engine cover to check for any oil leaks and noticed that the PCV valve (blackened with oil residue), maybe the culprit. He took it out, inspected it and confirmed his suspicion. He tried without much success to explain how the PCV valve works and why a clogged valve could lead to engine oil shortage and a smokey exhaust.

Though confused, I went ahead to buy 2 carburettor cleaners as he instructed which he used meticulously to clean up the PCV valve. I was surprised to see that the cap of the PCV valve was not black but blue. The oil residue had so built up that I thought the colour was black. Anyways, he advised that I change it but in the interim, the cleanup he did would give temporary relief to some of the issues noted.

After reinstalling the PCV valve he started the vehicle, and like magic, the exhaust smoke went away. I was cautious not to celebrate just yet. I would need to test and see if this was the remedy I sought. I went to a local mechanic (in the East) and requested that he drain the current oil and refill with a full synthetic oil (5w30). I asked that he also change the oil filter in the process.

To test if the PCV valve solution worked, I felt it was necessary to put the vehicle in a similar condition it was in when I travelled from Lagos. If the test results in an oil shortage like before, then it may be a pointer that the engine needs to be changed or rebuilt ASAP. Yeah, I did not use Mobil 1 (5w20) like before for obvious reasons (I needed a pocket-friendly alternative for the test and a 5w30 is better for my vehicle since it has approximately 115k miles on it already). The mechanic recommended Hardex 5w30.

I got 6 litres of the product. Bought the extra litre in case the test failed and I needed an oil top-up on my way back to Lagos. After the 'servicing' yesterday, I realised that the vehicle was still not emitting smoke from the exhaust. I felt this was a good sign and set-off today for what felt like the journey of my life. Got to Ore and stopped to do a quick inspection of the vehicle. Saw that one of the exhaust was emitting some smoke (hardly noticeable though) and I thought it was because of the PCV valve I am yet to change. I could find the courage to turn off the vehicle and do a proper check because of the starter motor issue I mentioned in my earlier post. Though I had it changed before travelling, I was not confident in the product I bought.

After approximately 8 hours of driving, I finally got home, allowed the vehicle to cool for an hour or two and went to inspect the oil dipstick. Got it out, cleaned it and stuck it back in again. I got it out a second time and was pleased to see that the engine oil was almost at the exact level I started with when I left the East, though it was marginally lower. I thought this could go away when I get a new PCV valve as advised. So that was it.

For the starter motor, I got one that I know I am going to change. It is functional for now. I tried it when the vehicle was hot, though it started but, for a second it felt as if it was going to fail before it picked up again.

awesome

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Tunesh(m): 7:49am On Jan 05, 2021
Please kindly Help. My Corolla 2006 keeps Bring On this Warning Light. And presently Check Engine light blinks.. Kindly Assist with Resolution.

Thanks and Com

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:28am On Jan 05, 2021
Tunesh:
Please kindly Help. My Corolla 2006 keeps Bring On this Warning Light. And presently Check Engine light blinks.. Kindly Assist with Resolution.

Thanks and Com

Scan TPMS

Scan airbag

Scan drivetrain.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by selfmadeOLX(m): 8:58am On Jan 05, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Don’t try this in a Honda. Any Honda tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (508) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.