Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (915864 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by selfmadeOLX(m): 8:59am On Jan 05, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

For that vehicle nothing will happen. You can switch back. The transmission built to last.

Don’t try this in a Honda. Any Honda tongue

New year, new color. Seun should add more colors for you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Danielkupiejo: 9:02am On Jan 05, 2021
Pls I just observed that my car is burning oil. Pls what oil can I use that it won't burn in my car. I currently use forte oil visco 2000. It shorts oil whenever I travel pls what's the best oil to use for my Honda Accord 2012 model
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:14am On Jan 05, 2021
selfmadeOLX:

Don’t try this in a Honda. Any Honda tongue

I agree, ask @diportivo

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ksmart027(m): 10:26am On Jan 05, 2021
Danielkupiejo:
Pls I just observed that my car is burning oil. Pls what oil can I use that it won't burn in my car. I currently use forte oil visco 2000. It shorts oil whenever I travel pls what's the best oil to use for my Honda Accord 2012 model
If you use visco 2000 and it still burn oil you only got two option rebuild or buy another engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:30am On Jan 05, 2021
Crocif:

Good evening sir,

Thanks again for the tips. I finally brought the vehicle back from the East this afternoon and, I am cautiously optimistic that the vehicle engine may not be far gone after all. Now to what happened.

After getting the advice from this thread, I resolved to follow it to the letter. Get a good mineral oil: 20w50 or 10w40 as the case may be. Drain the current oil and make the switch; but before I could go ahead with the plan a friend of the family, who came for a visit, requested to inspect the vehicle for any obvious leaks after he got wind of my 'oil-shortage' story. The dude is not an auto mechanic but a regular DIY kinda guy who knows quite a bit about cars and their engines.

He first checked under the vehicle for any obvious leaks, found none, but noticed that the 'sump' seemed to have been worked on before. I quickly informed him that my mechanic opened it in Lagos to clean it up when we noticed the "check low engine oil level" light problem I mentioned in my earlier post. He then checked the exhaust and noted that there are tell-tail signs that the engine was burning oil because of some black residue from the exhaust fume he found.

He then opened the engine cover to check for any oil leaks and noticed that the PCV valve (blackened with oil residue), maybe the culprit. He took it out, inspected it and confirmed his suspicion. He tried without much success to explain how the PCV valve works and why a clogged valve could lead to engine oil shortage and a smokey exhaust.

Though confused, I went ahead to buy 2 carburettor cleaners as he instructed which he used meticulously to clean up the PCV valve. I was surprised to see that the cap of the PCV valve was not black but blue. The oil residue had so built up that I thought the colour was black. Anyways, he advised that I change it but in the interim, the cleanup he did would give temporary relief to some of the issues noted.

After reinstalling the PCV valve he started the vehicle, and like magic, the exhaust smoke went away. I was cautious not to celebrate just yet. I would need to test and see if this was the remedy I sought. I went to a local mechanic (in the East) and requested that he drain the current oil and refill with a full synthetic oil (5w30). I asked that he also change the oil filter in the process.

To test if the PCV valve solution worked, I felt it was necessary to put the vehicle in a similar condition it was in when I travelled from Lagos. If the test results in an oil shortage like before, then it may be a pointer that the engine needs to be changed or rebuilt ASAP. Yeah, I did not use Mobil 1 (5w20) like before for obvious reasons (I needed a pocket-friendly alternative for the test and a 5w30 is better for my vehicle since it has approximately 115k miles on it already). The mechanic recommended Hardex 5w30.

I got 6 litres of the product. Bought the extra litre in case the test failed and I needed an oil top-up on my way back to Lagos. After the 'servicing' yesterday, I realised that the vehicle was still not emitting smoke from the exhaust. I felt this was a good sign and set-off today for what felt like the journey of my life. Got to Ore and stopped to do a quick inspection of the vehicle. Saw that one of the exhaust was emitting some smoke (hardly noticeable though) and I thought it was because of the PCV valve I am yet to change. I could find the courage to turn off the vehicle and do a proper check because of the starter motor issue I mentioned in my earlier post. Though I had it changed before travelling, I was not confident in the product I bought.

After approximately 8 hours of driving, I finally got home, allowed the vehicle to cool for an hour or two and went to inspect the oil dipstick. Got it out, cleaned it and stuck it back in again. I got it out a second time and was pleased to see that the engine oil was almost at the exact level I started with when I left the East, though it was marginally lower. I thought this could go away when I get a new PCV valve as advised. So that was it.

For the starter motor, I got one that I know I am going to change. It is functional for now. I tried it when the vehicle was hot, though it started but, for a second it felt as if it was going to fail before it picked up again.

Danielkupiejo:

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Danielkupiejo: 11:11am On Jan 05, 2021
Is it advisable to rebuild engine, will it serve me or should I just sell and buy another car
ksmart027:

If you use visco 2000 and it still burn oil you only got two option rebuild or buy another engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Numberz(m): 11:14am On Jan 05, 2021
Good morning and a happy new year to all. Please I need a reliable tracker vendor/installer around Owerri-Enugu axis?
It's urgent...
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:21pm On Jan 05, 2021
Numberz:
Good morning and a happy new year to all. Please I need a reliable tracker vendor/installer around Owerri-Enugu axis?
It's urgent...

Insure your car with axamansard , and request for a car tracker.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by EletuAzeez(m): 9:28pm On Jan 05, 2021
Good evening Gazzuzz. Please I bought a registered 2001 Toyota Camry recently and noticed the following:
1. When driving, the low oil pressure indicator flashes whenever I apply the break or slow down and immediately goes off when I accelerate.

2. When the gear is put on R "reverse", I often notice a one-off jerk.

3. The steering swerves to one side even though, I just got new tyres and did wheel balancing and alignment today.

Please what are the likely causes of this?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by David50: 9:36pm On Jan 05, 2021
Danielkupiejo:

It's still a relatively new engine. Check your PCV valve.it may be the culprit.
Also Visco is a detrimentally inferior product for that engine. Please do away with it ASAP.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by EletuAzeez(m): 10:07pm On Jan 05, 2021
[quote author=EletuAzeez post=97757969]Good evening Gazzuzz. Please I bought a registered 2001 Toyota Camry recently and noticed the following:
1. When driving, the low oil pressure indicator flashes whenever I apply the brake or slow down and immediately goes off when I accelerate.

2. When the gear is put on R "reverse", I often notice a one-off jerk.

3. The steering swerves to one side even though, I just got new tyres and did wheel balancing and alignment today.

Please what are the likely causes of this?

Please note that the oil filter was serviced and engine bottom plate was also removed and cleaned of sludge with a view to fixing the low oil pressure indicator flash but the issue still persists. sad
Kindly help with possible solution
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Danielkupiejo: 10:21pm On Jan 05, 2021
I took it to the mechanic workshop they discovered its the oil switch that is faulty. Pls what oil is best for me to use, all this mechanic are not giving me any recommendation they just said i should continue using forte oil. Pls which oil is best for honda accord 2012
David50:

It's still a relatively new engine. Check your PCV valve.it may be the culprit.
Also Visco is a detrimentally inferior product for that engine. Please do away with it ASAP.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by martyns200(m): 6:25am On Jan 06, 2021
Good day, my car does hard starting every morning, takes about 3-4times before it starts and starts normally all through the day. What's the likely cause of the hard start? Car is an 05 corolla

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by themonk(m): 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

The headlamp has a small leak in the areas where it was glued. Find the leak and that will stop.

You need to scan your vehicle .
Hello Gazzuzz
This is the error code. Thanks a lot.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by themonk(m): 3:11pm On Jan 06, 2021
radautoworks:

has the car been scanned?
Finally scanned it. This is the error code. Thanks a lot, what do I do?

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:02pm On Jan 06, 2021
themonk:

Hello Gazzuzz
This is the error code. Thanks a lot.

the sensor is disconnected under the vehicle . Check the wiring
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by themonk(m): 5:34pm On Jan 06, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

the sensor is disconnected under the vehicle . Check the wiring
Very correct. I just disconnected it and connected it back then erased the code and it worked like magic.

Thanks, I appreciate. Noticed my fuel consumption went up recently I am sure this will solve it. Also noticed after doing what you asked that my gas pedal is a bit tougher, I guess that’s how it should be normally. Once again thanks a lot, I appreciate.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:23pm On Jan 06, 2021
themonk:

Very correct. I just disconnected it and connected it back then erased the code and it worked like magic.

Thanks, I appreciate. Noticed my fuel consumption went up recently I am sure this will solve it. Also noticed after doing what you asked that my gas pedal is a bit tougher, I guess that’s how it should be normally. Once again thanks a lot, I appreciate.

Give it 1hr of driving before rejoicing
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by themonk(m): 6:31pm On Jan 06, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Give it 1hr of driving before rejoicing
Okay boss. Usually if I erase the code before it comes back immediately I start the car but this time it did not, I’ll drive around this evening just to be sure. Thanks once again.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Eldemmi(m): 8:15am On Jan 07, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

First pic, half and top
Next pic complete engine .

the half and top ,got popular name from kazeems here
it is called BORALE (naked in English) ..
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Peppermintflav: 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2021
Numberz:
It's urgent...
Hit me up. I'm in Enugu
xjay5000@yahoo.com
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Peppermintflav: 1:39pm On Jan 07, 2021
Danielkupiejo:
You get mind oo! Using that oil for 2012 car? shocked

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ablesolomo: 7:55pm On Jan 07, 2021
Please house my Nissan Almera Tino is misbehaving, not accelerating well after I changed my fuel pump, the check engine light remain On, if i firstly start the in the morning, it will jerk and switched off at least two times before starting. Then my Rewire suggested me to unplug this green plug in the picture. Please gurus in the what is function of the plug? Is okay to unplug it. Acceleration is still sluggish
Please what can I do
Cc: Nurey
Gazzuzz
Heavenlybang
and other Gurus

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by IceDune: 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2021
Good evening Gazzuz, after changing my car driver's side hub this evening the wheel has refused to turn. What could be wrong. The car is 06 civic.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DukeNija(m): 12:26am On Jan 08, 2021
Peppermintflav:

E shock you? Some Nigerians shouldn’t use cars. Also, reason why Nigerian used cars are a No No.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Danielkupiejo: 12:31am On Jan 08, 2021
Which oil make i use nah
Peppermintflav:

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Danielkupiejo: 12:32am On Jan 08, 2021
Which oil is good to use
DukeNija:

E shock you? Some Nigerians shouldn’t use cars. Also, reason why Nigerian used cars are a No No.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Danielkupiejo: 12:36am On Jan 08, 2021
Pls whats the best oil to use for honda accord 2012
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:51am On Jan 08, 2021
IceDune:
Good evening Gazzuz, after changing my car driver's side hub this evening the wheel has refused to turn. What could be wrong. The car is 06 civic.

calliper bolts longer than specification.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aghaibiam(f): 6:43am On Jan 08, 2021
Please my 2005 camry dash is showing *maintenance required* .
I serviced it using mobil super xhp and it's still displaying.What can be the problem?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:10am On Jan 08, 2021
aghaibiam:
Please my 2005 camry dash is showing *maintenance required* .
I serviced it using mobil super xhp and it's still displaying.What can be the problem?

change your engine oil every 2000miles .

To. Clear the warning follow this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQswoYjkf9E

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nurey(m): 11:11am On Jan 08, 2021
ablesolomo:
Please house my Nissan Almera Tino is misbehaving, not accelerating well after I changed my fuel pump, the check engine light remain On, if i firstly start the in the morning, it will jerk and switched off at least two times before starting. Then my Rewire suggested me to unplug this green plug in the picture. Please gurus in the what is function of the plug? Is okay to unplug it. Acceleration is still sluggish
Please what can I do

The sensor you unplugged is not your issue. Normally I would start by scanning the vehicle and fixing whatever error generated.

For the sluggish movement and start issue I am suspecting your throttle body might be dirty or clogged. Clean it and dust the engine air filter. Next the fuel pump might be the wrong type and or the fuel pump filter is blocked, you should have changed the complete fuel pump assembly.

The CVT too would cause sluggish acceleration but issues with transmission should easily be known as tachometer would rise without commensurate movement and change to hear.

But above all better to scan car first to avoid trail and error

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.