Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,831 members, 7,841,179 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (511) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (923819 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by samsard(m): 2:35pm On May 12
xcitedjay:

In most online car communities all over the world, there is a lot of knowledge sharing in helpful manner. However, some of our people tend to fall into the trap of being conceited after getting some basic knowledge on cars. I'm not sure they realise that the automotive industry is constantly evolving. EVs are gaining popularity among car owners, and the knowledge of internal combustion engines would be outdated soon.
People get annoyed even if it's rocket science they're talking about. I'm sure everyone here has things to do offline/online. The guy needed help and was not providing all the basic information needed to help him make a diagnosis like car brand, model name and year.
Internal combustion engines are not going to be outdated any time soon, at least not in this part of the world. Hybrid car sales grew faster than EV this year worldwide. EV time will come but ICE still relevant.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 3:17pm On May 12
xcitedjay:

In most online car communities all over the world, there is a lot of knowledge sharing in helpful manner. However, some of our people tend to fall into the trap of being conceited after getting some basic knowledge on cars. I'm not sure they realise that the automotive industry is constantly evolving. EVs are gaining popularity among car owners, and the knowledge of internal combustion engines would be outdated soon.
And people tend to fall into the trap of being over entitled. Some people spend years gathering the experience, some pay for this information, some pay to learn, some have suffered a lot of setbacks and humiliation gathering this knowledge and then over entitled you comes along and thinks you have a right to it. Bros, go get your own "basic knowledge", nobody is stopping you.
Ignorant you is hoping EVs will make their knowledge useless, abi? This is nothing but laughable. Anyways, let's wait till then.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 3:23pm On May 12
samsard:
People get annoyed even if it's rocket science they're talking about. I'm sure everyone here has things to do offline/online. The guy needed help and was not providing all the basic information needed to help him make a diagnosis like car brand, model name and year.
Internal combustion engines are not going to be outdated any time soon, at least not in this part of the world. Hybrid car sales grew faster than EV this year worldwide. EV time will come but ICE still relevant.
The dude is just being silly. Waiting for when EVs will take over just to make people's knowledge of ICE irrelevant. I can't help but laugh.
Let's even assume the time comes tomorrow, won't there still be people that have the "basic knowledge" of the EVs? I'm sure there will be. And guess what, it is the exact same people that have the knowledge of ICEs that will still acquire the knowledge of EVs. Actually, some of them are already acquiring it as we speak. Some already paying to acquire the knowledge. So, that dude is just delusional.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Dragunz: 8:28am On May 13
samsard:

Yes I needed help, so do you think I intentionally didn't provide the basic car information? It totally skipped me and there was nothing hard in him telling me to provide car details(at least next time I won't repeat same mistake again) if he really wanted to help rather than making me get confused with the way he replied without saying a thing.

If not for thefarmer3 wey later explain, till now I wouldn't know what his response meant.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by xcitedjay(m): 4:25pm On May 13
Macmilla:

And people tend to fall into the trap of being over entitled. Some people spend years gathering the experience, some pay for this information, some pay to learn, some have suffered a lot of setbacks and humiliation gathering this knowledge and then over entitled you comes along and thinks you have a right to it. Bros, go get your own "basic knowledge", nobody is stopping you.
Ignorant you is hoping EVs will make their knowledge useless, abi? This is nothing but laughable. Anyways, let's wait till then.

Your post lack coherent information which makes you sound unintelligent. Your submissions are for the most part filled with a lot of negative words that is sickening to read. Just compare what you wrote in this post and what the last person you quoted wrote. Please do better.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 5:12pm On May 15
xcitedjay:

Your post lack coherent information which makes you sound unintelligent. Your submissions are for the most part filled with a lot of negative words that is sickening to read. Just compare what you wrote in this post and what the last person you quoted wrote. Please do better.

Thank you.
If your brain is not developed enough to understand it, then by all means, move on. If it sickens you to read, then don't. Please nobody asked for your opinion. You and your ungrateful friend should learn to appreciate what people are giving you for free.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by xcitedjay(m): 10:52pm On May 15
Macmilla:

If your brain is not developed enough to understand it, then by all means, move on. If it sickens you to read, then don't. Please nobody asked for your opinion. You and your ungrateful friend should learn to appreciate what people are giving you for free.

Consider writing like this next time:

"If you don't understand it, then by all means, move on. If it sickens you to read, then don't. I never requested your opinion. You and your friend should learn to appreciate what people are giving you for free."

Eliminating negativity in your communications will help people perceive you in a better light. Kind regards.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 6:35am On May 16
xcitedjay:

Consider writing like this next time:

"If you don't understand it, then by all means, move on. If it sickens you to read, then don't. I never requested your opinion. You and your friend should learn to appreciate what people are giving you for free."

Eliminating negativity in your communications will help people perceive you in a better light. Kind regards.

Mr. Lecturer, thanks for the lecture. But I don't need it and I never asked for it. I think your entitled and ungrateful friends need it more if they want to keep getting help from people here.

xcitedjay:

This was your post. It is full of ungratefulness and entitlement. So maybe you should start by lecturing yourself on how to appreciate the people that come here to offer free help to people that need it. You really need that lecture. After that, then we will lecture you on why ICE is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Namzy(m): 11:31pm On May 16
Macmilla:
THE STORY OF BETTY
Betty is my 2005 Honda Accord 4cyl.
I got her Nigerian used last year. When I got her, she was like a malnourished and physically abused woman.
-Her engine was smoking heavily and the old user deceived me by using very thick oil in addition to that evil thing called "stop smoking".
-There were crazy electrical abuse. like the engine could start no matter where the gear stick is.
-The transmission was misbehaving mostly in cold mornings.
-Of course, the cat was way gone, but then some evil human decided to cut the wires of the 2 O2 sensors for reasons I still don't understand.
-Fuel economy was flushed down in the toilet.
-All steering buttons were not working, but somehow the horn was working.
-AC was working but not very powerful.
-SRS and Seatbelt light on the dashboard were on.
-Power steering was whining.
- The thermostat was AWOL and the radiator fan was permanently on.
- The moon roof was opening sluggishly and could only open halfway.
With all these problems, the question now is why did I keep this car?
1. The price was good
2. This car was still good, first body and all. Engine looked neat. Abs was working fine. AC was working, though not optimal. So I told myself that the worst that could happen is a new engine and trans.
3. I wanted the challenge cos I love solving car problems.
So, first thing I did was to change engine oil and filter with 5w30. Omo! My car became a smoke machine. I had to add the "stop smoking" to avoid the embarrassment while I thought of what to do.

I decided to try restoring the engine since it doesn't look bad from outside. When the engine was opened, the mechanic was amazed that the engine was completely in shape inside. The cylinder lining was perfect. Crank shaft, metals, pistons, all were in good shape. The top was also intact. The only thing that needed work was the rings. In two days, the engine was back together and running with 5w30 oil and no single smoke.
Then came the VTEC problem which was solved by replacing the filter screen in the VTEC solenoid.
Then came the VTC problem and that persky p0011 that dealt with me. After replacing VTC solenoid twice, the problem went away.
Then the transmission. After replacing the ATF twice without much improvement, I decided to rebuild it. Why would I throw something away without first trying to fix it? That is not me. Call me cheap, I don't care. After putting the tranny back in the car and filling with oil, first start, tranny no gree shift. Second start, car no gree enter drive. I was already sweating from my nyash. Infact, almost the whole day, tranny was severely acting up. But by some magic, after several tests, tranny started behaving. Now, 3mths later, tranny is still as smooth as butter. Victory!
Power steering pump was replaced with a tokunbo part and steering became smooth with absolutely no whine or vibration when turning.

About the electrical abuse, there was a strange wire running from the under dash fuse box all the way to the starter in the engine. I knew that wire was not put there by Honda, so I tore it out. As expected, car was no longer able to start. But I noticed the car will start occasionally after pressing the brake pedal randomly. So I looked at the brake pedal and noticed that the small plastic that presses on the brake switch was missing and a piece of paper was in place. It was pressing the switch enough to turn off the brake light but not enough to allow the car start. I removed the paper and constructed a good plastic in its place and care has started every single time since then.
- As for the cats, I had to change both O2 sensors. I didn't replace the cat. I simply bypassed it and removed the cat error code for good.
- So the steering wheel buttons. I told my electrician to bring out the steering flex reel and of course one of the two flex reel inside is completely cut. Someone diverted the horn signal through one of the intact cables. Once again, I decided to go the cheap route. I decided to solder the broken cables together. I didn't think this would work. My electrician told me I was wasting my time. But I gave him back the cable reel to install and 5mth later, all steering wheel buttons are still working.
- AC just needed gas and is still going 5mths later
-SRS and Seatbelt light was due to the driver's seatbelt buckle that was spoilt. Just changed it and all light went off.
Car is 100% functional now
FUEL CONSUMPTION:
I filled my tank up and recet my trip counter. When the fuel light came on, I had 382mils on the trip counter. Car continued till 410miles when I decided to go buy fuel (car didn't stop, meaning it still had fuel). I filled it up with 57litres (14.98gal). After calculations, I got 27mpg of pure city driving. That is veeery good for a rebuilt engine. Very few cars here can boast of this mileage.
So next I want to change the side mirrors to txs side mirrors with signal light and if money enter, I'll upgrade the wheels, upgrade the bumper to DC bumper, and give it a good paint job.

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin

I missed the story about the radiator and the moon roof. Will talk about it in an update.
Update: https://www.nairaland.com/1788778/maintenance-tips-cars/508#129713512

I can't for the life of me get the type of MPG on my honda accord 2004 i4. Especially with the increased fuel price, it's frustrating. There's no check engine light only abs code for right abs sensor. I'm getting like 12 mpg although it's mainly major city driving with bad roads and I have only hit 26 mpg once on fairly good road away from my daily commute. Both readings were done with a obd 2 car scanner app that calculates MPG. The traditional way of measuring MPG after refill is ridiculed with errors as I suspect fuel station meters have been tampered with and I calculated 8.7 MPG using this method.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 12:44am On May 17
Namzy:

I can't for the life of me get the type of MPG on my honda accord 2004 i4. Especially with the increased fuel price, it's frustrating. There's no check engine light only abs code for right abs sensor. I'm getting like 12 mpg although it's mainly major city driving with bad roads and I have only hit 26 mpg once on fairly good road away from my daily commute. Both readings were done with a obd 2 car scanner app that calculates MPG. The traditional way of measuring MPG after refill is ridiculed with errors as I suspect fuel station meters have been tampered with and I calculated 8.7 MPG using this method.
My calculations is obviously not perfect. The metre of the fuel station doesn't matter. What matters is how many miles you get on one full tank. 8.7mpg translate to travelling about 148.77miles on one full tank. It is called "range" and it should be about 360m in city and above 500m on highway. These numbers are highly variable depending on the kind of city and the kind of highway (road and traffic).
So if the calculation is too erroneous for you, just reset your trip meter after filling your tank and check the number by the time your tank is almost empty (or completely empty).
The capacity of your tank is 17.1gal. So whatever miles you get from your trip meter on empty, divided by 17.1 is your average mpg.
17.1 gallons is roughly 65litres. So if you buy more than 65litres (especially when your tank was not completely empty) then your fuel station are scammers.
Note that if you tires bigger than the ones your car came with from the factory, that will also introduce errors into this calculation. In fact, your speedometer, your odometer, your trip meter will not be well calculated by your car.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.