Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,595 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks (13063 Views)

US Warns Possible Terror Attacks On Nigerian Hotels Used By Foreigners / Akinwunmi Ambode Causes A Stir At The Malls / Security Agencies On Red Alert Over Possible Terror Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nobody: 3:07am On Jun 28, 2014
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria's intelligence agency said it has been warning shopping complexes in Abuja for two weeks that Islamic extremists might attack them in the capital, where a blast at a mall killed 22 people this week.

The increased security may have prevented even more carnage as witnesses said a security guard stopped a car bomber from entering the mall moments before the massive explosion on Wednesday.

Survivor Donald Chikason told ThisDay newspaper that a security guard argued with the driver of a car who wanted to enter Emab Plaza through the exit gate. When the guard refused, the man bent down and moments later the car exploded, Friday's edition of the newspaper quoted him as saying.

"The man started arguing, behaving as if he was drunk," it quoted him as saying.

Chikason, who works at a bank in the mall, was knocked unconscious by the blast and regained consciousness in the hospital.

The explosion was heard miles (kilometers) away. It set 17 vehicles ablaze and shattered windows throughout the four-story complex.

Body parts lay around the exit gate, other witnesses told The Associated Press. Dozens of wounded survivors were recovering in the hospitals Friday, most suffering burn wounds like Chikason, but at least one victim's leg was amputated, doctors said.

Nigerian intelligence received information that Boko Haram extremists were planning such an attack, said spokeswoman Marilyn Ogar of the Department of State Security.

"About two weeks ago we heard information that they were planning an attack at a busy shopping mall or market ... and so we had to go from one shopping complex to another trying to tell people to be more aware," she told The Associated Press.

Emab Plaza is the biggest and busiest in Abuja, the nation's capital in central Nigeria. The explosion occurred around rush hour as many residents were hurrying to view Nigeria's Super Eagles match against Argentina at the World Cup in Brazil. It was unclear if the bomb was timed to coincide with that, although Boko Haram has bombed several football viewing venues this year, prompting two northeastern states to ban public events to watch the football spectacular.

The state security department did not publish the intelligence about the threat to shopping malls, apparently to avoid a panic. Last week the government warned it had information that Boko Haram planned to hijack petrol tankers in the capital and booby trap them with explosives.

Two separate bombs in Abuja in April killed about 120 people and wounded more than 200 at a busy bus station.

President Goodluck Jonathan returned home Thursday night, cutting short his participation at an African Union summit in Equatorial Guinea.
http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-intelligence-agency-warned-malls-123850933.html;_ylt=AwrBEiEKIa5TbVgA8DGZmolQ
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nobody: 3:11am On Jun 28, 2014
This corroborates what a friend said online, he said he was tipped off on the day of the blast by a relative who works in the SSS to be very careful as there could be a bomb attack that day.
It raises questions as to why the attack couldn't be stopped if prior intelligence was available.

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nobody: 3:42am On Jun 28, 2014
emk4lif: This corroborates what a friend said online, he said he was tipped off on the day of the blast by a relative who works in the SSS to be very careful as there could be a bomb attack that day.
It raises questions as to why the attack couldn't be stopped if prior intelligence was available.
good question

4 Likes

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Mutuwa(m): 4:45am On Jun 28, 2014
And why are d attackers always getting away with it,leaving just some few suspects to be apprehended.all apprehended suspects r deaf n dumb for them not to hav mentioned any sponsor?Yet tips r even given?
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nobody: 4:55am On Jun 28, 2014
Two separate bombs in Abuja in April killed
about 120 people and wounded more than 200 at
a busy bus station.

But they never owned up to this. They kept reducing the figures until today. All govts. are serial liars. Mtcheeew...
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by phlemzy: 4:59am On Jun 28, 2014
Does SSS expect business owners in Abuja shopping malls to all shutdown their businesses all because Bokoharam will be visiting? How come all of dis bloodshedding seems to have far ending. Where do we seek for further help to overcome all dis??

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by mainheart(m): 5:12am On Jun 28, 2014
For God sake terrorism is not a child play movie. And the only person who can bring the boko haram to their kneel is not serious over security matters except on paper not practical. Mr President is only u dat can do it, pls help us.
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by slimpoppa(m): 6:05am On Jun 28, 2014
chai
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Atmmachine(m): 6:06am On Jun 28, 2014
Fork Nigerian security force
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by omanifrank(m): 6:08am On Jun 28, 2014
oh k
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Atmmachine(m): 6:09am On Jun 28, 2014
Chinaoldclothes: My Nigeria friend everybody is good, I am from Chinese clothing supplier, we have old clothes, shoes, bags, export Africa all over the country, and sincerely hope to cooperate with you!
My phone: +86-15807564780 (you can add my WhatsApp)
Email:310353532@qq.com
You are welcome to contact us! smiley smiley smiley

Dude..
i know what you're up to but trust me, i trust my niggas, they gonna smam you the scammer

4 Likes

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by ebullientV(m): 6:09am On Jun 28, 2014
Securing Nigeria; our collective responsibility..
The current threat to Nigeria, requires greater engagement with the public.
However, to be effective the public must be equipped with the knowledge of where and why specific locations and activities may be a terrorist target, what is being done to protect those targets, and how they can help.
Previous examples of Nations who have endured long terror campaign(including Israel, Spain and d U.K) demonstrate that a well-informed public is a vital part of developing their ability to withstand any kind of terror attack or other catasrophic events..
But i don't see our security units as competent enough, to supply the neccessary info the public needs.. And this is mainly the fault of the government..
Can't we ever get anything right in this country?

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Sijo01(f): 6:13am On Jun 28, 2014
They've been driven out of the forest by snakes and bees; hope they wont make FCT their abode.

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by mactoni91(m): 6:15am On Jun 28, 2014
GTB introduces the new

2 Likes

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by ichidodo: 6:16am On Jun 28, 2014
Any news about the one terrorist that was rounded up?? We hope he gets the chinese water torture treatment and also what is the correlation between a powerbike and an islamic terrorist bomber??

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Kirinwa: 6:19am On Jun 28, 2014
slimED: good question

Interesting.Complicity.I quote Abacha; If insurgency exists in a country for more than 24 hours, blame the government.

In another thread the sponsor of BH is said to be caught yet no name was mentioned and that's the last you will hear of it.

If Abbaa Moro's saga could be swept under the carpet that means the government doesn't value its citizens.To your tents oh Israel, look after your house oh Jesse.

7 Likes

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nobody: 6:21am On Jun 28, 2014
Hmmmmmm...
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Kirinwa: 6:24am On Jun 28, 2014
Finally Nairaland don cast.If it were before it would be 150 members and 210 guests viewing but now even all joinn doesn't reach 50.Chai.

These hackers the wickedness you are sharing.Diaris God o!

3 Likes

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Kirinwa: 6:26am On Jun 28, 2014
Titiluvly: Hmmmmmm...

This babe.What are you hmmming?

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Kirinwa: 6:27am On Jun 28, 2014
Titiluvly: Hmmmmmm...

This babe.What are you hmmming?Hope you slept fine?
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 28, 2014
Kirinwa:

This babe.What are you hmmming?Hope you slept fine?
I am hmmmin for my beloved country...btw I slept fine cheesy
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nuvally: 6:30am On Jun 28, 2014
Security in Nigeria is a collective responsibility. Kudos to SSS. 'Cus i believe they now 've a Spy inside the BH camp. Many people have died. Lots of Properties lost. We just have one thing left, HOPE. Let's stop abusing our leaders. 'Cus that what the people sponsoring these rebels want. Divided we fall my people. Boko haram will soon be a thing of the past. Am not a fan of Mr.President. Am just loyal to anybody sitting on that presidential seat!
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Nuvally: 6:33am On Jun 28, 2014
Kirinwa:

Interesting.Complicity.I quote Abacha; If insurgency exists in a country for more than 24 hours, blame the government.

In another thread the sponsor of BH is said to be caught yet no name was mentioned and that's the last you will hear of it.

If Abbaa Moro's saga could be swept under the carpet that means the government doesn't value its citizens.To your tents oh Israel, look after your house oh Jesse.

Bro, if u wanna know about all the terrorists they caught, I advice u join the army or SSS. I don't wanna know about. I Want know that this country is safe. A country where Governors openly insult there President aint going anywhere mehn
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Welrez(m): 6:37am On Jun 28, 2014
It is becoming clear that we citizens' refusal to view security as a collective affair is our undoing. If you think you can always survive to blame the government, be reminded today that the dead don't talk. Be vigilant, take your safety in your hands, put your ears down for the latest intelligence feed.
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by HAH: 6:38am On Jun 28, 2014
To me having knowledge and not stoping the bombing makes the sss culpable.

They should start the investigation from within.

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Talkcentral: 6:39am On Jun 28, 2014
Hmmm
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by kolomax(m): 6:40am On Jun 28, 2014
abeg am moving to burkina-faso.........today bombing tomorrow gun attack when will these stop in my country
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Afrocatalyst: 6:41am On Jun 28, 2014
How do they dissipate their warning message that people don't get it?

After every attack,they'll come out and say they 'warned' of it. Maybe they shoul try using Nairaland and other vibrant social media.

1 Like

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by chidijp1(m): 6:42am On Jun 28, 2014
Where were the CCTVs cameras to capture the fleeing boko harams. It is high time the security of the common man is taken seriously or the he turns to politician haram to the rulers. Enough said.
Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by vedaxcool(m): 6:43am On Jun 28, 2014
It is the ss job to prevent attacks not just to warn about them, the last time I check malls don't have the technology to prevent bombs from blasting.

4 Likes

Re: SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks by Lacombre: 6:45am On Jun 28, 2014
This is as good as keeping people hostage within a very large space...
I cannot bear to think how Abuja inhabitants feel. So insecure! Why,Oh Lord! What hv we done to deserve this?
So people shld not go freely around anymore? You cannot go to a shopping mall without reminder of the bomb blast and fear that a repeat is possible.
We need a transformation. I'm sick and tired of this trash!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Doesn't Dangote Invest In South East / Buhari Reacts To Latest Zamfara Killings / Innoson Vehicles Complains Of Low Govt Patronage!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.