Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (482813 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 10:44am On Sep 14, 2016
gentlewind:
@tayo52: TY well done, I really appreciate ur effort in keeping this tread alive and enlightening the aspiring farmer with quality info. God will aid your endeavour.
thanks for the encouragement we are both aspiring farmers, so people try to reach me thru my email but I can't access it for now,so they can try to reach me on my whatsap
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 11:12am On Sep 14, 2016
SinaAkinsanya:
You can go see some of the exotic breeds (Large white, Landrace, Duroc and gene converter) kept by Institute of Agricultural Research and Training (IART) in Ikenne. It is federal Government Institution established to help farmers. The Ikenne site is devoted for swine research and to assist swine farmers. They imported what they regard as grand parent stock about 5 years ago. I have seen only the males of all the breeds i mentioned above. They are very very impressive animals. I understand that they have animals for sale now. One of their officers that we deal with is Momoh. His number is 0803 383 1083. They are public officers, so i have no qualms in providing his info on this forum as they are there to assist swine farmers. The key is that if you buy from them, they have verifiable history and i want to believe that one will be buying from a trusted source. They challenge is the cost of their weaners. I think N70,000 is too much and damn cracy given the financial resources of most farmers. Anyhow, from my about 2 year expereince in this business, i must say again that most of the animals being circulated amongst us have been bastardised over the years. By that, i mean they and their parents have not been properly fed over time , in-breeding, poor medication etc. Those are the things that tend to reduce the quality of the animals over time. In other words, no matter what you do with most of them now, you cannot achieve say 90-100 kg is even 6 months. In my view, it should not really matter, whether one is buying LW, Camborough, Landrace or Duroc as any of those animals have very good feed conversion ratio, quickly grow large and farrow quality animals in large numbers. What matters is that you are really buying what you think you are buying (good genetics and the seller is honest and can show and demonstrate records.
I rili like your writeup, that the reason why we have breeder's farms,were they strictly sell exotic breeds with good genetics, they can afford to buy there parent stock any amount cos they no they will make there money within that same year,but most people prefer or selecting there breeders from a slaughter pigs,and expect the offspring from such pigs to attain 80kg in 7months I doubt,that more reason why am preaching,we should inject exotic breeds to our farm if you can just get the boar alone it good,but if you can both get male n female that just the best,it might be expensive but I bet u,you will surely make your money back once they farrow,they eat less and convert high,i saw large number of pigs In a farm I ask there age the man told me close to 5months,just saw 3 shooters which are just 30kg some are 5kg but average of 15kg,so tell me how many months with it take such pigs to attain 60kg? Most annoying part some farmers will still select there breeders from such growers,Is high time we farmers should start doing it right,if some of the farmers keep records they will will no they are running at a loss,how many farmers can pay himself 100k monthly from his pig farm and still record profit? While some just litters from 1sow his paying his salary n workers, am telling you if you have good breeds in your farm you won't sell 1 weaners less dan 10k,while some are still selling for 3500 bro like I said I love your writeup needs more people like you on this platform

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by greenlilly(m): 7:15pm On Sep 14, 2016
Felt so good today. Sold some of my pig using my digital scale.Learnt from this experience that buyers have been swindling me with their manual scale all these years. My digital scale is up for lease if you have large stock of pigs to sell

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by SinaAkinsanya: 9:16pm On Sep 14, 2016
Way to go. Less stress to people and animals
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by gentlewind(m): 12:54am On Sep 15, 2016
greenlilly:
Felt so good today. Sold some of my pig using my digital scale.Learnt from this experience that buyers have been swindling me with their manual scale all these years. My digital scale is up for lease if you have large stock of pigs to sell

Nice one, please if someone want to get digital scale. Where can one buy it and how much will I get cost?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by greenlilly(m): 6:17am On Sep 15, 2016
When i check the price of imported digital scale i saw it at $1760 so i opted tp build one myself locally. I fabricated the cage and outsourced the bottom scale to a friend. I spent 320K from start to finish
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ay04z(m): 8:10am On Sep 15, 2016
pls help oo.
how much is 50kg pkc now sold in your area?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by papilo90(m): 3:43pm On Sep 15, 2016
nice thread I must say. pls for those that already have their pig farms, pls I need more experience (outside the pages of books) as regards pig farming. I'll really appreciate if there's pig farm owner here who can take me as an intern/apprentice, so as to learn more. I'll prefer the location to be Ibadan or anywhere in the south west provided the farm has accommodation. thank you . you can reach me on my mail.
mytochondria90@gmail.com
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Jessam: 8:11pm On Sep 15, 2016
I am happy to introduce jessam Cattle Ranch and Farms.

jessam cattle ranch & farms aims to be a major player in the meat industry and help stop the importation of cheap, rotten, chemical induced meat from being dumped in Nigeria, often slowly ruining our health .

Slow and steady jessam will grow to be a strong brand in food industry. We are based in Enugu. Please enjoy photos our farm. We rear livestock including Cattle, pigs, goats, poultry, ducks. We also process palm oil too. Feel free to place your orders 08032455430 or 09099020582.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0UqV1rQQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5VRJWxLv0

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:08pm On Sep 15, 2016
Ay04z:
pls help oo.
how much is 50kg pkc now sold in your area?
Feed prices are increasing everyday.
First crush is about 44 naira per kg

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by BYSilver(m): 7:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
please gurus in the house, assuming I get 20 female pigs and 5 male pigs can I get upto 150 piglets after the females have given birth? and also which breed of pig can I go for to achieve my target...pls its urgent
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by GCIT: 7:45pm On Sep 16, 2016
Good afternoon great farmers, pls I am new to piggery. Can the house pls educate me on how much it would cost to feed a pig from weaning to slaughter age for a fattener and also the average feeding cost to farrowing for a breeder? Please, I am aware there are options for either junk or good feeding. Please what are you guys doing to have a balanced account?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:51pm On Sep 16, 2016
BYSilver:
please gurus in the house, assuming I get 20 female pigs and 5 male pigs can I get upto 150 piglets after the females have given birth? and also which breed of pig can I go for to achieve my target...pls its urgent

2 males are enough for 20 females.

with good feed and management the sky is your limit.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:55pm On Sep 16, 2016
GCIT:
Good afternoon great farmers, pls I am new to piggery. Can the house pls educate me on how much it would cost to feed a pig from weaning to slaughter age for a fattener and also the average feeding cost to farrowing for a breeder? Please, I am aware there are options for either junk or good feeding. Please what are you guys doing to have a balanced account?

no average feeding cost.

Everything depends on your location feed costs, finance and breeding methodology you decide to adopt.

You need to plan the farm very carefully from d scratch. you can't stumble into piggery
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by oluyemioy(m): 11:47pm On Sep 16, 2016
Hello Greenlily.

Please where is your farm if I wish to lease your digital scale?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by BYSilver(m): 12:24am On Sep 17, 2016
femu:

thank you very much, pls any particular breed I need to consider or all female pigs are good in breeding
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 6:15am On Sep 17, 2016
princesschuks:
Hello everyone, please who is kind enough to let me visit his/her farm in Lagos or Ogun state too observe the day to day activities on a pig farm.
my farm is at Ayetoro itele road you are welcome call me on 08028131974
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 6:16am On Sep 17, 2016
abeyyskyne:

Getting a pure-bred Camborough weaners can be difficult but not impossible. Like Tayo said, be careful so that they don't sell LW weaners to you as Camborough. My Camborough sows, mated by Camborough boars are pregnant, I will let you know when they farrow. I am going to sell some of their offsprings post-weaning.
am interested please
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by annunaki2(m): 9:09am On Sep 17, 2016
Jessam:
I am happy to introduce jessam Cattle Ranch and Farms.

jessam cattle ranch & farms aims to be a major player in the meat industry and help stop the importation of cheap, rotten, chemical induced meat from being dumped in Nigeria, often slowly ruining our health .

Slow and steady jessam will grow to be a strong brand in food industry. We are based in Enugu. Please enjoy photos our farm. We rear livestock including Cattle, pigs, goats, poultry, ducks. We also process palm oil too. Feel free to place your orders 08032455430 or 09099020582.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0UqV1rQQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5VRJWxLv0

What breed of pigs do you have in the pictures?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by annunaki2(m): 9:10am On Sep 17, 2016
femu:

The two males pigs must be very randy oh! grin

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:28am On Sep 17, 2016
BYSilver:

thank you very much, pls any particular breed I need to consider or all female pigs are good in breeding

Any modern breed is cool.

The lineage is more important
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 11:57am On Sep 17, 2016
BYSilver:

in piggery u must have good combination of good breeds feeding n management,dont start your farm with concoction breeds,they might be good mothers but slow growth,just go for Largewhite or Landrace,for the boar you can get duroc or LW or Landrace,please select your breeder stock carefully cos they are not slaughter pigs,you need to select the shooters. Assuming u want to start with weaners,so u will be able to see there parent b4 buying it might be expensive but it pays @ the long run
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by UniqueFarmer: 12:26pm On Sep 17, 2016
I just came across this thread, very well done guys. The content posted has been quite educating. From experience, i have learnt Farming can be rewarding and self gratifying - there is a heartfelt joy that comes from knowing you are responsible for feeding families. However, it can also be precarious especially for new-comers. You can easily lose all your investment in one wrong move if you are not well prepared in your area of agric business before investing your hard earned cash. Knowledge they say is POWER. I would recommend new comers become regular readers of forums like this, download e-books on their area of interest in Agric (most of these are free on the internet), visit farms and opt for internship whenever such opportunity is available. Doing all this will ensure new comers are well prepared for all the risks that will definitely present itself when starting a farm for the 1st time.

I would also recommend subscribing to daily poultry content from reputable Content Providers that you can receive on your phone. This gives you residual information on your agricultural subject at your convenience. If you are on the Etisalat network, you can get the following content FREE of charge for 7 days and opt-out at anytime if you are not satisfied with the information provided. However, i assure you the information provided are well researched and collated from experienced farmers in that field.

Text PIG to 33327 for Piggery Content
Text POU to 33327 for Poultry Content
Text FISH to 33327 for Fishery Content
Text CROP to 33327 for Cash Crops Content

Feel Free to share your experience on any of this content. smiley
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2016
Please who has a pig farm within Benin, I want to come and learn the practical before investing. Please contact me on whatsapp.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 17, 2016
Hello guys, your posts have been very educative.

I am interested in starting small by end of this month. I plan to start with one boar (camborough) and 5 gilts (LW) for breeding then growing that number.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 2:19am On Sep 18, 2016
AN91:
Hello guys, your posts have been very educative.

I am interested in starting small by end of this month. I plan to start with one boar (camborough) and 5 gilts (LW) for breeding then growing that number.

Is that a good number and combination for starters? I would be grateful for any advice. Please add me to the group 07038753511
that number is just so Perfect you are good to go,are u starting with a weaner or gilts (about to cross)

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by greenlilly(m): 8:17am On Sep 18, 2016
oluyemioy my farm is at Ifo. You can reach me on 08028375856
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 18, 2016
tayo52:
that number is just so Perfect you are good to go,are u starting with a weaner or gilts (about to cross)

Thanks. Considering the information I have gotten from here, I want to start with weaners and properly cater for them to give me good results.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Betheldukeman(m): 5:15pm On Sep 18, 2016
How can i two pigs one male one female,am in owerri 08109660712 incase anyone has idea of that.ThanksHow can i two pigs one male one female,am in owerri 08109660712 incase anyone has idea of that.ThanksHow can i two pigs one male one female,am in owerri 08109660712 incase anyone has idea of that.Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by moniyitan: 6:46pm On Sep 18, 2016
Dear Members, has anyone imported their breed stock before. I will like to know the process including clearing over here and whether one requires an import license. I have got a quote which I think is on the high side . Please I would appreciate honest advise. This is one of the quotes I got from one of the top pig farmers in the UK

Hello the pigs cost £350 per gilt and £550 per boar

8 Pigs at 35 kg
Airfreight £4,605.00
Crate and drinkers £490.00
Transport to Heathrow £750.00
Total shipping costs £5,845.00

10 Pigs at 35 kg
Airfreight £4,800.00
Crate and drinkers £510.00
Transport to Heathrow £750.00
Total shipping costs £6,060.00

16 Pigs at 35 kg
Airfreight £5,020.00
Crate and drinkers £980.00
Transport to Heathrow £850.00
Total shipping costs £6,850.00

20 Pigs at 35 kg
Airfreight £5,220.00
Crate and drinkers £1080.00
Transport to Heathrow £850.00
Total shipping costs £7,150.00
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by SinaAkinsanya: 11:39pm On Sep 18, 2016
Are you already into pig farming and only planning to expand into importation.? If not, I will advise you buy from reputable sources with good breeds. It is very important that you gain experience before venturing into importation of pigs.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by acoa: 11:57pm On Sep 18, 2016
please house how can i get cadbury or nestle waste my farm is located @ ikorodu. thanks
[color=#006600][/color]

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.