Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (484069 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by popoolagroup(m): 5:49pm On Jul 03, 2014
Kudos to everyone who has been contributing to this "thread".
we've been hearing of how lucrative pig farming is but let's discuss more on the marketing. I will be starting my pig farm soon in abeokuta.. But let us discuss more on the marketing.
regards,
Popoolagroup.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by millhouse: 6:44pm On Jul 03, 2014
kul
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 03, 2014
popoolagroup: Kudos to everyone who has been contributing to this "thread".
we've been hearing of how lucrative pig farming is but let's discuss more on the marketing. I will be starting my pig farm soon in abeokuta.. But let us discuss more on the marketing.
regards,
Popoolagroup.
so important, where do one get d target market partner n ♓☺w?

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2014
This thread is so great n informative
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ayodejy05(m): 8:12pm On Jul 03, 2014
excelsiorfarm: nice site, yes inbreeding doesnt bring out d best in your stock,hence buy from various/different quantity farms. Concerning tarpaulin if alone, it has its many disadvantages,though better than using zinc, abesto(i hope i get this spelling right) slate will be more appropriate. Other info is also valid
Thank you. I just started the blog.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ayodejy05(m): 8:14pm On Jul 03, 2014
regards,
Popoolagroup.
Marketing is not a problem. It's about planning and location. If you are in Akure, Ondo state; there are enough market.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:37pm On Jul 03, 2014
ayodejy05:
Thank you. I just started the blog.
THANK GOD, IT IS A NICE BLOG
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:50pm On Jul 03, 2014
hopsydboi: so important, where do one get d target market partner n ♓☺w?
there is market,u produce & u have your goods purchase. Great market from d eastern part come to d southwest, people come from as far as benin & togo to buy from fashola pig market in trucks

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by zurine(f): 9:01pm On Jul 03, 2014
mehn, this is good
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 04, 2014
ayodejy05:
Marketing is not a problem. It's about planning and location. If you are in Akure, Ondo state; there are enough market.
am actually going to set it off at owo, ondo state
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 8:02am On Jul 04, 2014
As we know that in poultry biz at times they die in many numbers due to one form of disease or the other, i want to knw abt pig ie if it has some kind of diseases that affect them.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ayodejy05(m): 8:39am On Jul 04, 2014
hopsydboi: am actually going to set it off at owo, ondo state
You should get be getting enough buyers from Uso, owo, and Oka, oba, Akungba, Ikare Akoko area (mind you, most christian living in Akoko municipalities consume pork). What is there is that, you should do your market survey to be sure before starting because I only know of Akure.

The problem now is that, most pig farmers cannot raise their animals in residential areas like before. They have to move to remote areas. I wonder why they should, because it is possible to operate a pig farm around residential areas without polluting the environment, and even generate extra income.

You can easily breed maggot using pig dung while the liquid waste is channeled into a sewage pit. (always avoid using more water when cleaning).I always advise farmer to use the residual water in the watering trough and wallowing pit for cleaning the pens. Sprinkle disinfectant solution on the floor after cleaning .
One secret that most people and farmers don't know about pigs is that, pigs are one of the neatest if not the neatest animals in the world. You can carry out this experiment:
1. Construct pens that are spacious enough and avoid overcrowding
2. Construct the feed and water trough in the same place, and make use of shower system to cool pigs' body.
3. Now observe the pigs every day; you will notice that, they will never urinate and excrete in the place they feed or take water. They will move to a corner distant from where they feed and take water, to do these.

It is what I know and I'll surely stand on my ground about this fact.
So, it is the design of the pens that has made your pigs to behave or look dirty.

NB: What you give your pigs will determine if you will get enough meat or more than enough fat (many people including me don't like taking animal fat). If you delight in giving PKC, cassava peels, kitchen waste, and junks to pigs, they will convert them to enough body fat with poor growth performance. It is better you get a good feed formula to prepare a good concentrate for them. With a good pig breeds (even if it is not pure breed) such as Duroc, Landrace, Poland China etc. you will surely get a good result.

You can read this article on Pig farming www.livestocking.com/facts-about-pig-farming-business

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ayodejy05(m): 8:56am On Jul 04, 2014
Keziehenry: As we know that in poultry biz at times they die in many numbers due to one form of disease or the other, i want to knw abt pig ie if it has some kind of diseases that affect them.

Yes, Pigs also coe down with viral, bacterial, fungal disease; such as
Swine Fever
Brucellosis
Swine typhoids
Erysipela
Swine Pox
Foot and mouth disease etc. (these are just a few)

But one thing I know is that local breed of pigs are very rugged and are somehow resistant to most of these diseases. Proper health and hygiene programmes are the way out to prevent diseases. Just as you care for poultry, care for your pigs.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ayodejy05(m): 8:57am On Jul 04, 2014
zurine: mehn, this is good

Even as life is good. lol

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ayodejy05(m): 9:03am On Jul 04, 2014
regards,
Popoolagroup.

You start with those who slaughter pigs for Suya, Barbeque, or whatever around your farm; they connect with each other. Before you know it, your customers will start increasing. Likewise make research on the Internet for foreign buyers and try to get contacts of buyers from the eastern part of Nigeria. Permit me to use this; "them dey buy pigs wella, in fact using big lorries."
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by pdf90(m): 11:33am On Jul 04, 2014
Hello house . I recently got a job on a pig and fish farm . Quite interesting . Pictures coming soon
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 12:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
pdf90: Hello house . I recently got a job on a pig and fish farm . Quite interesting . Pictures coming soon
gud, we are waiting.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by myohmy(m): 1:50pm On Jul 04, 2014
Let me just balance comments so that you do not assume "all is rosy"
1. There is additional cost for regular hygiene
2. At times, sows die for no explained resason. Same for weaners. Once in a while, it happens also to boars (few boars in any farm)
3. Greatest headache is farm hands. Uncommitted farmhands can steal your materials for resale, lazily refuse to adequately feed or give water or even allow animals to fight to death etc, all for their personal gains.
4. There might be need for constant pen repairs because, pigs eat almost anything (including block work!)
5. God forbid African Swine Fever that can ravage the whole farm in weeks.
6. Lastly your start up running capital should be twice or trice your cost of start up animals - just to be able to maintain healthy feeding.

All I am saying is be prepared, for when any catastrophy or challenge face you in this business, the devil is a lier, forge ahead with determination. Afterall, I myself, did not allow anything to force me out.

6 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 04, 2014
I've been into Piggery for about 9 to 10 years,its all about dedication and patience,sacrifice Oooo...lots of sacrifice and self control so you don't consume both profit and re-investment funds.The cheapest thing is the pig food and most expensive their drugs..Once you understand that then you prepare for the market approach,locating lovers of the rich meat....*****....m

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ayodejy05(m): 6:18pm On Jul 04, 2014
How to weigh your pig

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 7:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
Here are some of my farrowing pigs sucking on the water ni.pples.

Piggery can command even more revenue if you combine it with fishery. On my farm, we use our pig manure for growing maggots which we feed to our catfish. It saves on cost of fish feed and promotes quicker growth of our catfish. One pig's manure can produce up to 20kg of catfish per annum.

4 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ijobaorun(m): 8:44pm On Jul 04, 2014
lagbaja: I am into pig farming. Pig farming is one of the most lucrative arms of animal farming. Pigs are highly prolific, giving birth to an average of 10 piglets per farrow. Typically a pig farrows 2.5 times in a year. So in a year, a pig can give birth to about 25 piglets.

The biggest variable cost component in pig farming is feed cost. It accounts for about 70% of the total cost. Your ability to source your feed in a manner that is most cost effective is your success determinant. Typically, pigs have FCR in the range between 2 and 4 depending on the breed and on the feed formulation. FCR means feed conversion ratio. It is a measure of how much kg of feed an animal will eat to produce 1kg of live weight.

This the is formula I adopt for my pigs

60% of cassava ( I buy them Fresh, break them into chips, dry and store them)
30% pkc
6% blood meal
2.5%. Oyster shell/bone meal/ lime stone
0.25% lysine
0.25% methionine
0.5% salt
0.25% premix
0.25% bakers Yeast ( probiotic)

The above feed formulation will cost you about N30 per kilo. 1kg of live pig is sold for between N280 and N300. If your pig consumes 3kg of feed to give 1 kg of meat, It means that it will cost you N90 to produce 1kg of live weight. Therefore you make a gross margin of N300 - N90= N210.

The other component of pig farming that is capital intensive is their housing. Pig housing has to be properly planed according to the number of pigs you intend to grow. You need to decide whether you want to do batch or continuos pig production.

The biggest pig farm in west Africa is at oke aro , Agege. Another one is at Gberigbe Ikorodu. Accomodation costs at this locations are very high. I will advice you to site your pig pen close to where you can get cheap land and source raw materials at low price. Eg cassava plantations.

Technology application will greatly hep you in your pig farming. Fr example using, pig ni.ppl.es (see picture below) will ensure that you deliver constant and clean water to your pigs , it will also reduce labor requirements. You also need to construct a manure allay within your pig h

Mr lagbaja, pls does dis formula applies to all the pigs, both farteners nd breaders? Wil d protein content not affect d farrowing of d breader?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ijobaorun(m): 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2014
lagbaja: Here are some of my farrowing pigs sucking on the water ni.pples.

Piggery can command even more revenue if you combine it with fishery. On my farm, we use our pig manure for growing maggots which we feed to our catfish. It saves on cost of fish feed and promotes quicker growth of our catfish. One pig's manure can produce up to 20kg of catfish per annum.

pls can u explain how to go by it cos i'm also catfish but not getting maggots from my pig's manure. Thanks alot.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 9:07pm On Jul 04, 2014
Ijobaorun:
Mr lagbaja, pls does dis formula applies to all the pigs, both farteners nd breaders? Wil d protein content not affect d farrowing of d breader?

We use the same formula for both fattening and farrowing, for the piglets, add about 10% more SBM or GNC.

Ijobaorun:
pls can u explain how to go by it cos i'm also catfish but not getting maggots from my pig's manure. Thanks alot.

Collect the pig manure, pour them on a floor with concrete base. Wet them adequately until it is watery. If you can get chicken offals, put some on the wet manure. Housefly will perch on it and lay their eggs. After 4 days, it is ready for harvest.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 10:04pm On Jul 04, 2014
@ Lagbaja; Sorry sir but I believe nutritional requirements differ with age and condition (pregnant or lactating or fattening). While your formula will work,@ a stage it might be unnecessarily expensive, especially when it comes to protein as pigs generally need less of it as they grow.
I used to have a guide chart that shows nutritional contents (%) of different food items and also requirements for different stages in a pig's lifespan. I've been searching for it for days. Will post it as soon as I find it.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 2:05am On Jul 05, 2014
ops: @ Lagbaja; Sorry sir but I believe nutritional requirements differ with age and condition (pregnant or lactating or fattening). While your formula will work,@ a stage it might be unnecessarily expensive, especially when it comes to protein as pigs generally need less of it as they grow.
I used to have a guide chart that shows nutritional contents (%) of different food items and also requirements for different stages in a pig's lifespan. I've been searching for it for days. Will post it as soon as I find it.

You are correct with what you said. Our observation is that the crude protein requirement of our mix is about 14% which does not meet the requirement for the piglets but met 14% for finishers and older boars/gilt/sow.what we do to balance that is to feed our piglets with extra protein from poultry offals gotten from our processed broiler chicken. If you don't have chicken offals, increase the blood meal to 8% and reduce pkc content for your piglets.

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 5:48am On Jul 05, 2014
@ lagbaja; why increase P.K.C to 60%? I thought we were talking about the protein not being sufficient for piglets.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 8:53am On Jul 05, 2014
Pkc has between 14 and 19% crude protein. Cassava has 2.6% crude protein ( it is primarily the source of energy). They are currently the cheapest and most available of all the feed materials. Pkc is sold at about N23 per kg. we get our cassava at N16 per kg. by modifying the pkc to 60% , cassava 30%, and maintaining blood meal at 6 to 8%, you will achieve close to 17% crude protein in the piglets meal.

You will notice that I have not mentioned brewery waste as my source of feed. The reasons are as follows:

1. Though, they have between 25 to 30% crude protein, they are more expensive than pkc. They are sold wet having up to 60% water content by weight. A truck of 10tons is sold for between N30k and N40k. That makes it N30 per kg. by the time it's dried, you have 50% of what you paid for. Effectively, you are buying at N60 per kg.

2. Supply is inconsistent.

3. Storage can pose a lot of challenge both in terms of labour and logistics.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:55am On Jul 05, 2014
lagbaja: Pkc has between 14 and 19% crude protein. Cassava has 2.6% crude protein ( it is primarily the source of energy). They are currently the cheapest and most available of all the feed materials. Pkc is sold at about N23 per kg. we get our cassava at N16 per kg. by modifying the pkc to 60% , cassava 30%, and maintaining blood meal at 6 to 8%, you will achieve close to 17% crude protein in the piglets meal.

You will notice that I have not mentioned brewery waste as my source of feed. The reasons are as follows:

1. Though, they have between 25 to 30% crude protein, they are more expensive than pkc. They are sold wet having up to 60% water content by weight. A truck of 10tons is sold for between N30k and N40k. That makes it N30 per kg. by the time it's dried, you have 50% of what you paid for. Effectively, you are buying at N60 per kg.

2. Supply is inconsistent.

3. Storage can pose a lot of challenge both in terms of labour and logistics.

what is the weaning weight and age of your piglets?
is cassava and pkc alone not too much fibre for piglets?
how long does it take you to hit 100kg?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2014
We use fresh cassava that we ensile for 4 days. Fibre content of fresh unprocessed cassava is low. Pkc is what provides the required fibre content. Our farm is only about 6 months old. We got our piglet stock from South Africa through a local agent. The breed is camborough from PIC and Oke Aro already weaned. The camborough breed produce lean meat and have an FCR of 2. We got our "about to cross" and gilts from Oke Aro. Almost all our sows are pregnant now. The response to the feed has been fantastic.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 11:35am On Jul 05, 2014
@ Lagbaja: Makes sense then.
I'd like to try afew of your camboroughs when you are ready for sale. Hope u'll keep us posted. wink
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ijobaorun(m): 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2014
lagbaja:

We use the same formula for both fattening and farrowing, even for the piglets. It works fine.

Collect the pig manure, pour them on a floor with concrete base. Wet them adequately until it is watery. If you can get chicken offals, put some on the wet manure. Housefly will perch on it and lay their eggs. After 4 days, it is ready for harvest.
Thanks mr lagbaja. I'l try it. Presently trying d cassava stuff.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.