Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (484075 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 1:00am On Aug 12, 2014
femu:

Hi oga, can you give a sincere appraisal in terms of litter size and weight at 8 and 16 weeks of the offsprings of the Obasanjo sows you bought?
What is the average weight of the sows now?
My obj gilts haven't farrowed yet intact 2 came back on heat so they are being re-bred now. I actually got 2 breeds from them the landrace and large white. I can't weigh them now but I'm quite pleased with their growth though they had an initial drop but I guess they are well adjusted now.
If you ask me anyone buying from them should be careful.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 8:54am On Aug 12, 2014
eazeefix:
My obj gilts haven't farrowed yet intact 2 came back on heat so they are being re-bred now. I actually got 2 breeds from them the landrace and large white. I can't weigh them now but I'm quite pleased with their growth though they had an initial drop but I guess they are well adjusted now.
If you ask me anyone buying from them should be careful.

you are right, have equally had some funny experiences with their animals.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 5:49am On Aug 13, 2014
Hello everyone, I heard in the radio yesterday that people should be 'careful with their consumption of pork' there was no distinction between wild pigs and farmed pigs already 2 of my butcher customers complained to me that sales has slowed as a result. How do we tackle this becos right now no government official has come out to counter this claim. No ebola infection has been traced to pork consumption but the way our fear ridden people are we need to respond quickly to protect our investments before it goes viral like the ridiculous salt water bath message.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 7:06am On Aug 13, 2014
eazeefix: Hello everyone, I heard in the radio yesterday that people should be 'careful with their consumption of pork' there was no distinction between wild pigs and farmed pigs already 2 of my butcher customers complained to me that sales has slowed as a result. How do we tackle this becos right now no government official has come out to counter this claim. No ebola infection has been traced to pork consumption but the way our fear ridden people are we need to respond quickly to protect our investments before it goes viral like the ridiculous salt water bath message.

got a similar feedback from a friend but it was from small buyer customers. The reality is for us to form a proactive association capable of influencing things...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 10:32am On Aug 13, 2014
We need to begin a campaign to correct these erroneous information. I saw it coming

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 8:08am On Aug 14, 2014
@ Boluwajokosegun: Yes i give them Moringa leaves, i have planted about an hectare of Moringa, majorly for my pigs, when i get the seeds, i intend to extra the oil and the remains, i will also give to the pigs, i have read so many things about it; It is a good source of vitamins and protein, it will cost me far less than soybeans
I dont know Oyo so well, so am not sure i know apata, but it shouldnt cost much to transport them the piglets, send me an e-mail when ready; we have sold about half already.

Ijobaorun: My staff wont let you in, because of bio security, i should be around next weekend, drop me an e-mail then you can see the farm.

Trainning in SA: ( someone asked me, where i trained): i only did a 3days course on A.I in kanhm SA ; the rest i learnt from reading and experience, visiting big farms,research and from gurus like Femu.

femu/eezeefix: Well, my opinion about Obj pigs is this, there are too many factors that could affect the litter size of a sow,if you need to judge Obj pigs we need to have met all those factors ; you shouldnt expect a sow that was crossed 2days after ovulation to give the same numbers as the sow crossed at the right time.Breed , feed,environment, quality of water, room size,hygiene and so many other things also counts.

Guys, i spoke about an association and a club; its seems only few of us like the idea, the association could help with tackling negative press about Ebola and Pork, i still believe the club will go along way in helping us all; we can have a press release on issues like this, we can even go and challenge , the radio station, who made such a lousy comment ;take them to court.. that alone will create more awareness for us
All this middlemen, manipulating farmers to sell at below market value, we can also handle all that, i believe in a club/association we can do more
Just my 2kobo advice

7 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 12:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
@ Dejia, thanks for your respond, i know so much about moringa, infact it can fully replace soya bean, just check online for how to use moringa only to feed animals...organic farming very very cheap but you must have an acre of moringa plantaion. Am working on it.

I lost some pigs in my pig farm in Benue state.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
@Dejia. Nicely said but don't you think an assosciation formed here will be a little difficult to run? Posters here are from different states and I would think the major problem will be arranging meetings.
I think most of the issues you raised can be handled by existing assosciations. I know there is one exclusively for pig farmers & at least two others for farmers generally but also include livestock. All have ,more or less, nationwide presence and despite what you might think, they are quite active when the interests of their members are threatened.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 2:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
dejia: @ Boluwajokosegun: Yes i give them Moringa leaves, i have planted about an hectare of Moringa, majorly for my pigs, when i get the seeds, i intend to extra the oil and the remains, i will also give to the pigs, i have read so many things about it; It is a good source of vitamins and protein, it will cost me far less than soybeans
I dont know Oyo so well, so am not sure i know apata, but it shouldnt cost much to transport them the piglets, send me an e-mail when ready; we have sold about half already.

Ijobaorun: My staff wont let you in, because of bio security, i should be around next weekend, drop me an e-mail then you can see the farm.

Trainning in SA: ( someone asked me, where i trained): i only did a 3days course on A.I in kanhm SA ; the rest i learnt from reading and experience, visiting big farms,research and from gurus like Femu.

femu/eezeefix: Well, my opinion about Obj pigs is this, there are too many factors that could affect the litter size of a sow,if you need to judge Obj pigs we need to have met all those factors ; you shouldnt expect a sow that was crossed 2days after ovulation to give the same numbers as the sow crossed at the right time.Breed , feed,environment, quality of water, room size,hygiene and so many other things also counts.

Guys, i spoke about an association and a club; its seems only few of us like the idea, the association could help with tackling negative press about Ebola and Pork, i still believe the club will go along way in helping us all; we can have a press release on issues like this, we can even go and challenge , the radio station, who made such a lousy comment ;take them to court.. that alone will create more awareness for us
All this middlemen, manipulating farmers to sell at below market value, we can also handle all that, i believe in a club/association we can do more
Just my 2kobo advice

Going through existing associatn will be less costly and less time-consuming. Radios and tvs will be great tools. I saw one programme on NTA where they spoke about ebola and pork. Doctors where also involve.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2014
ops: @Dejia. Nicely said but don't you think an association formed here will be a little difficult to run? Posters here are from different states and I would think the major problem will be arranging meetings.
I think most of the issues you raised can be handled by existing associations. I know there is one exclusively for pig farmers & at least two others for farmers generally but also include livestock. All have ,more or less, nationwide presence and despite what you might think, they are quite active when the interests of their members are threatened.

My friend the existing associations are dormant, we need something better for the following and more reasons.

Currently we have little or no access to vaccines
Little or no access to pig specific equipment. I had to design my own farrowing crates, Feeders and Drinkers.
Little or no access to a variety of exotic breeds
little internal consumption of pork in the country. What will happen if our border with Benin is closed.
Exclusion from many FG livestock agric concessions.

There is need for a national reorientation towards pork consumption. If Pork consumption is increased in Nigeria it will create millions of new millionaire families in the south the way Poultry and Fish farming are currently doing.

Most of the cattle we consume come from Niger republic which is a loss to our economy.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ozikam: 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
For ur market expansion sharn of experiences from experts.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ozikam: 10:21pm On Aug 15, 2014
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 10:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
femu:
My friend the existing associations are dormant, we need something better for the following and more reasons.
Currently we have little or no access to vaccines
Little or no access to pig specific equipment. I had to design my own farrowing crates, Feeders and Drinkers.
Little or no access to a variety of exotic breeds
Zero internal consumption of pork in the country. What will happen if our border with Benin is closed.
Exclusion from many FG livestock agric concessions.
There is need for a national reorientation towards pork consumption. If Pork consumption is increased in Nigeria it will create millions of new millionaire families in the south the way Poultry and Fish farming are currently doing.
Most of the cattle we consume come from Niger republic which is a loss to our economy.

My friend, I'm not sure I agree with you that these assosciations are dormant. I've had first hand experience of two seperate assosciations in action and in those instances, their responses were commendable.
They are also in a better postion to enagage government in discussion because of the size of their membership. Why re-invent the wheel? Instead of setting up parallel bodies why not join and try to bring fresh ideas.
Just my thoughts really, I'm not here to campaign on behalf of any soceity, existing or otherwise.
With respect to the other reasons you listed, I think most of them require private investors (vaccines, farrowing crates etc).

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
interesting piggery thread really buying my interest in dz venture. uhmm; nice investment idea i shall b putting into consideration cuz in my district they consume pork like mad, they even have their stalls & joints.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 8:19am On Aug 18, 2014
ops: @ Dejia; kept wondering what BDG was. Tot its BSG: brewers spent grain.
Anyway, its free in ilesa. All u have to do is tip d attendants and they load your truck at the brewery.
I buy from a middleman who gets from nigeria breweries here in ibadan or sometimes I buy the already dried one @ about N11k/tonne.

Hi Ops,

Can you link me up with ur BDG supplier? My van is in ibadan, i will need 2tonnes of BDG urgently.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ayoolu(m): 6:58pm On Aug 18, 2014
Deji,
Check your mail.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 4:30am On Aug 19, 2014
INFO TO EDUCATE OURSELVES AND PEOPLE AROUND US ABOUT PORK .http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_150/184_eating_well.html
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
@Dejia. I sent you her number the other day. Check your mail.
If you need an intro, u have my number.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2014
femu:

... Zero internal consumption of pork in the country. What will happen if our border with Benin is closed...
I didn't know demand for pork meat is low in nigeria. This is different from what I've heard people saying.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
FarmTech:
I didn't know demand for pork meat is low in nigeria. This is different from what I've heard people saying.

d farmers are yet to meet local and external demand, also compared to our population and consumption of beef, chicken and fish we can say it is low.
In a few years we hope to have farms with thousands of pigs that will be mostly internally consumed.
some of us are thinking and planning in that direction.... watchout.
we want pork to be on everyones menu!!!
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 6:38am On Aug 20, 2014
FarmTech:

Internal consumption of pork is NOT zero. Because of traditional/ religious bias in some parts of the country, demand for pork is low relatively but in areas where such bias doesn't exist there is a huge demand.That's why traders from the south-south are constantlylooking for pigs to buy.
Also, even in areas where the locals aren't interested, non-indigenes do consume pork.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 5:46pm On Aug 22, 2014
Special food for your Pigs:

Fish Oil 100 naira per kilo
Rice waste 30 naira per kilo
soya waste 35 naira per kilo
Cerelac 30 naira per kilo
dried Chicken Intestine 50 naira per kilo
Soya husk 30 naira per kilo.

call 08034209301 if you are interested.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 5:47pm On Aug 22, 2014
Please who can provide 100 grower pigs within Ota, in the next 1 week. The price should be competitive
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 10:56am On Aug 23, 2014
@femu, you have not been picking your calls
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by DaiCom(m): 1:57am On Aug 24, 2014
which part of Nigeria is pig business profitable because I have a great interest in it. please help me. so that I can start.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Entchidodo: 11:03am On Aug 24, 2014
Looking to purchase Piggie manure in Abuja and environs...Competitive price per 50kg bag..
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 1:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
Entchidodo: Looking to purchase Piggie manure in Abuja and environs...Competitive price per 50kg bag..
Somebody here wants to sell cheap: https://www.nairaland.com/1871116/poultry-manure-available
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 1:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
DaiCom: which part of Nigeria is pig business profitable because I have a great interest in it. please help me. so that I can start.

You can start anywhere in the South or Middle belt.
I have some customers in Niger state and plateau.

go to: http://no1pigfan.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 12:06am On Aug 28, 2014

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 12:11am On Aug 28, 2014
A Pig Farm is available for rent.

for details check: http://no1pigfan./2014/08/27/pig-pens-for-rent/
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 10:47am On Aug 28, 2014
Good work Femu , am also a pig farmer with farms in 3 different location in nigeria but l dont have BBM, l use androd phone, so how can i join the group am highly interested. eesteeresources@gmail.com. WhatApp:08182355047
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ceasare: 11:17am On Aug 28, 2014
femu: Hello everyone as we have been discussing on the basis of an improved association, some of us(@dejia,@lagbaja,@eazeefix, @toluwayemi and myself) have come together to bring the talk to reality.
We have formed an enlightening Piggery group on BBM with a view towards birthing a PAID membership pork producers association.
The discussions have been enlightening and highly beneficial to all participants in the group. money is already changing hands rapidly, members are smiling. grin
Some of our objectives include:
sharing of improved pig breeds
dissemination of artificial insemination technology
sharing of cheap sources of feed/joint procurements
dissemination of pork processing technology
training and access to international pig experts
access to private/government financing
profit yielding joint venture operations
e.t.c..........
These group wants to redefine pork and pig farm production standards, join us if you are a progressive pig farmer willing to commit funds to a mutually beneficial association
add me on BBM and join the group, mypin: 74511C1A

Hi all am also interested in been part of the group though I don't hv a farm now but I intend sometimes in future.wouldn't mind learning from u guys.why not watsapp not everyone hv bbm oh!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.