Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Best Paying Company In Nigeria? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Best Paying Company In Nigeria? (243754 Views)

Top 10 Best Paying Organization In Nigeria. / Oil And Gas, Best Paying Industry Anywhere In D World / Best Paying Professional Career In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by crowcedar: 2:16pm On Dec 10, 2009
if you have a family member or friend that works with shell, ask them what entry level earns. I am authoritative because I collect it.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 2:51pm On Dec 10, 2009
Shell nigeria or Shell UK?
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 10, 2009
Entry level?
500k take home even in oil and gas?
Dude, break it down fast cheesy cheesy
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 8:27am On Dec 23, 2009
crowcedar:

I can tell you authoritatively that a fresh graduate in Shell earns as much as 500k per month after tax, including allowances and in a month when they pay some mad allowances, a fresh graduate could go home with about 700k and above depending on the allowance.

I can authoritatively assure you that the month people collect 700K, that is not the month of mad allowances, months of mad allowances you see things like 1.5m, 2m at least 1.2m that is mad allowances. I am not talking of experineced, I am talking of entry level and I mean it. My good friend up was just being conservatiive; the british part of shell is entering into him. Though the normal monthly take home is less than 500K say about 440k or so (in shell o), anyway it is close to 500k.

jay bee:

Shell nigeria or Shell UK?

I seriously do not know why people doubt everything. This you have seen here is the fact. believe it or leave it. if you believe it or not it doesnt change anything. Shell Uk ko Shell germany ni, we are talking about Nigeria.

Yet this is not the most paying oil and gas, Mobil, NLNG, Chevron and Total pay more than Shell. If you like doubt this one too.

One reason most people dont know is because once you get this job, everybody starts asking you for money, your expenses profile jumps up, you want a befitting car, a befitting house and you want to look good - hewes and curtis, TM and so on. A padi man even bought true religion jeans for 27k, I told him it was madness. But he made me realised that you have to reward yourself first, b4 people finish the money with their demands.
So at the end of the day most of the money don finish.
Don't blame them o, if you get there you will do worse, believe me. ENOUGH SAID. HE THAT HAS EAR LET HIM HEAR. And remember you can only work alone, you cannt chop the money alone.
Remember 9ice, "To ba rise, je ki awon padi e jenbe" meaning "when you hammer, remember you guys at least make them"
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:11am On Dec 24, 2009
Please my fellow brothers! Just wondering if a salary within a range of 15- 25million Naira is Realistic, for a British expatriate hoping to work in Nigeria? I'm a certified IET Chartered engineer with 4 years experience under my belt. Cheers!!!
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 7:20am On Dec 24, 2009
micktosin:

Please my fellow brothers! Just wondering if a salary within a range of 15- 25million Naira is Realistic, for a British expatriate hoping to work in Nigeria? I'm a certified IET Chartered engineer with 4 years experience under my belt. Cheers!!!

Why not, it is very possible. From what you wrote, you said he is a chartered engr. Well a job in the oil sector can pay you more than that. I know an expat from Romania. He a CSWIP in welding and inspection, all he does is to oversee the nigerian welding and NDT QA/QC personnel and he double checks the films from the NDT and gives his reccommendation. This guy earns about 2m per month (though he is paid in Euro) in one of the producing companies. I know another expat that works with one service company, though he is at almost a management level, his salary is about 1.6m with other benefits for management staff based on the companies performance.

So my brother it is possible. Cheers. smiley
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Puvguy: 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2009
Tunene U seem an insider indeed. What would the scenario be like in 2 years time, since most oil coys are cutting
overhead big time? A friend of mind with 4 years exp(subsea) in norway is reluctant to come back home cause he earns big in
Statoil. What would he be looking at if he gets somewhere related in Nigeria?
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 5:10pm On Dec 24, 2009
First those guys abroad do not know what people in the oil industry here earn. they feel the money here in Nigeria is rubbish so they cannot come. I would have love to know how much he earns in Norway and therefore advice whether he should consider a job in Nigeria.

As per the issue of next two years, If things remain the same (which is not probable), then salaries in the oil industry is not an issue. But in the industry now we are drown in the ocean of fear of the unknown. There are so many issues - Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB), selling of some of the blocks to the Chinese (these ones don't even understand what labour law is), renewal of licences and several other politics surrounding the industry. One thing I know is that most of our "big men" especially politicians want to have oil blocks and they are trying to use the Chinese to acquire them.

What I think is that the Chinese will come with the idea of low salaries and large profits for the shareholders and I believe Nigerian government and the "big thieves" called men (politicians that have chopped our money) will accept. Remember so far every of our leaders have looted our treasury including Yar Adua.

All these are speculations. We are still waiting for facts to jump on our face.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Puvguy: 5:23pm On Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for your reply Tunene. It really appear gloom; I just hope the chinese fail in their bid.
My friend earns about 4k euros which as u know is quite ok in any standard.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 6:05pm On Dec 24, 2009
Yea, your friends salary is good. That is about the amount most oil company pay in Nigeria though slightly above that for 4yrs experience. When I say oil companies, I mean operators like shell, mobil, chevron etc and not saipem, Adamac, Ascot etc nor do I mean Schlumberger, Haliburton, or Transocean, though these last three pay well too.
If he is enjoying his career with Statoil, he had better stay. Another wahala with naija is you can not even enjoy your money effectively, if it is not Infrastructure problem, it is government issue, then comes thieves, robbers, kidnappers, they wont just allow you spend the money you worked for as you like.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Puvguy: 6:52pm On Dec 24, 2009
tunene:

Yea, your friends salary is good. That is about the amount most oil company pay in Nigeria though slightly above that for 4yrs experience. When I say oil companies, I mean operators like shell, mobil, chevron etc and not saipem, Adamac, Ascot etc nor do I mean Schlumberger, Haliburton, or Transocean, though these last three pay well too.
If he is enjoying his career with Statoil, he had better stay. Another wahala with naija is you can not even enjoy your money effectively, if it is not Infrastructure problem, it is government issue, then comes thieves, robbers, kidnappers, they wont just allow you spend the money you worked for as you like.

U make me laugh with the highlighed cheesy Anyways thanx 4 ur time and advice.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by crowcedar: 8:16am On Dec 28, 2009
@tunene,

Pls help me tell them o! When they were going to chop off my head, I decided not to respond again. I was truly being conservative so that ,
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by biina: 11:12am On Dec 28, 2009
A simple scanned payslip (with personal info hidden) would put the whole issue to rest. undecided
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 12:10pm On Dec 28, 2009
You are on your own, don't you know that payslip carries full name and personnel number. Again I say you are on your own. If you don't believe so be it, if you believe, wetin concern me. It was just for info only. When or If you get a job there, then you will understand what we are talking about. Must I convince you, as if I will get pay rise for doing so. NA WA FOR NAIJA PEOPLE.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by biina: 12:38pm On Dec 28, 2009
tunene:

You are on your own, don't you know that payslip carries full name and personnel number. Again I say you are on your own. If you don't believe so be it, if you believe, wetin concern me. It was just for info only. When or If you get a job there, then you will understand what we are talking about. Must I convince you, as if I will get pay rise for doing so. NA WA FOR NAIJA PEOPLE.
seems you missed the part I said personal info hidden? undecided
For someone that feels they don't need to convince anyone, you sure have made a few posts trying to do so, and showed +ve interest when someone seem to have supported your position.

Everyone making disputable claims doesnt serve any +ve purpose. Elements that add credibility to posts would go a long way.

As to the remuneration in oil & gas, most of the companies use hay's method (or its variations), which means your salary is dependent more on your job description and less on your years of experience
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 29, 2009
That people make that kind of money and more is not in doubt.

The issue here is "entry level"
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 11:53am On Dec 29, 2009
Biina and wwheelz, how much do you guys expect? If Glo pays my Civil Engr friend about 200k (take home) to work as a mast something something engr in Maiduguri region what do you want Chevron and others to pay their engrs? And I mean entry level, I am not talking of experienced hires or people that have spents sometime in the company.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Southsea: 11:54am On Dec 29, 2009
Wanna entry level die. recently got an offer (gradute position) from one of them and I can tell u it is over 400k per annum.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Southsea: 11:56am On Dec 29, 2009
Monthly, I meant
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 11:58am On Dec 29, 2009
Southsea:

Wanna entry level die. recently got an offer (gradute position) from one of them and I can tell u it is over 400k per annum.

Southsea:

Monthly, I meant

My brother God bless you. If you dont know, advertise your ignorance and when you are enlighten do not argue until u have a superior argument.

crowcedar:

@tunene,

Pls help me tell them o! When they were going to chop off my head, I decided not to respond again. I was truly being conservative so that ,

so that,,   No worry nothing do you.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by debosky(m): 1:02pm On Dec 29, 2009
For Shell entry level, I do know of a US graduate who started with them early this year, the package (pre-tax) was in the region of 650k/month.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 4:59pm On Dec 29, 2009
Yesss, keep it coming, ,,,.,,
We need people from mobil, chevron, total, addax, schlum, haliburton, transoceans, you all keep it coming.
Southsea:

@Southsea, which company is your own.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by biina: 6:26pm On Dec 29, 2009
tunene:

Biina and wwheelz, how much do you guys expect? If Glo pays my Civil Engr friend about 200k (take home) to work as a mast something something engr in Maiduguri region what do you want Chevron and others to pay their engrs? And I mean entry level, I am not talking of experienced hires or people that have spents sometime in the company.
The point wasnt about if I had a different expectation. Everybody has been quoting varying figures. I just dont see the benefit of one person giving a figure, only for another to just simply dispute it. A bit more credibility will be added if you can state the job position/title and company, along with the remuneration. Scanned payslips or letters (with personal or incriminating evidence hidden) would also help. I dont see the harm in sharing this information, as it wouldnt take anything away from the source, and can only help another in planning his/her career.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 29, 2009
Gentlemen,

On page 5, crowcedar indicated a fresh graduate take home pay of N500k.

I'm familiar with the pay structure in oil and gas but cannot claim to know the figures for entry level. Still, I have my doubts about N500k net for a fresh graduate as in no experience.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Southsea: 7:40am On Dec 30, 2009
tunene:

which company is your own.
Shell.

wwheelz:

Gentlemen,

On page 5, crowcedar indicated a fresh graduate take home pay of N500k.

I'm familiar with the pay structure in oil and gas but cannot claim to know the figures for entry level. Still, I have my doubts about N500k net for a fresh graduate as in no experience.
Guy, think that might be a good est. of what peeps in commercial roles earn in Shell. However, can't say muh abt technical roles esp. with their SITP prog.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by tunene: 8:51am On Dec 30, 2009
From all the replies that we have so far, the ones who have quoted values are from shell, if there is any Chevron, Mobil, total, agip, etc in the house state yours because I know shell is not the highest paying of them all and I also know that shell is not the only company recruiting people.

As for the quoted amounts, i have no doubt whatsoever. So now we have entry level for shell about 500K, at least i know that and Southsea, debosky and crowseder have confirmed that.

People, be informed these values are real and some companies even pay more.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by biina: 4:35pm On Dec 30, 2009
What we have gotten so far are some pseudorandom figures

Debosky:  US graduate shell 650K. what is the level of quals (Bsc, MS,PhD)?
Southsea: graduate position 400k per month. which company?
Crowcedar: Shell 500k after tax, 700k with allowances
Tunene: Shell 440K per month, and 1. 2m in allowances

None of them corroborates the other. undecided

The first thing is to be clear on what you are referring to as an entry level position e.g,  is it for a fresh bachelors student or includes masters and PhD? or Is it the lowest job on the ladder in that department (which does not mean the requirement is a bachelors)?

As far as I know, like any other company, salary varies across department in the oil companies. I doubt a guy in procurement earns the same as an engineer on a platform. Specifying the job position will lessen the debate.

Given that some companies pay basic + lumped allowances while some pay a consolidated salary, a better comparison would be the annual income. One should also exclude figures that are amortized over several  years (like car loans, generator allowance etc).

Example of what I feel would be a useful post (note: data is hypothetical)

Company: Mobil
Job Poition/Title: Reservoir Engineer I
Qualifications: MS
Experience: 0yrs (fresh graduate)
Annual Package (pre tax): NGN 5m
Annual Package (after tax): NGN 3.75m

Again, this thread is not helpful if we are more concerned about who is right or wrong. It should be about providing info to help others.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by sbm4real(m): 9:39am On Dec 31, 2009
@binna

What is your own sef? Go and get a job in one of the companies and know how much they earn. They have given you an idea of how much it is. Until they post their employment letter online for you.

Why cant you just take what is useful for you and leave the rest

You dont know who is reading and those guys are trying to be careful or you think its easy,

3 Likes

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by chuchu: 10:02am On Dec 31, 2009
Hey guys,
Let me lend my words as an insider in the O&G industry (with a vast network of colleagues who have often given insight on thier renumeration).
No nigerian entry level staff working for an oil major to date has collected 500K net monthly though this sum is quite accurate on a "before tax" basis. Entry level typically receives about #350 to 400K net,
Entry level is also quite subjective though; based on your bargaining power (years of experience, qualifications etc) you might get as much as #650k gross, but that's about it.

The real catch, however, is in the allowances. These, my friends, can be quite pocket filling and are usually structured to be dispensed on a quarterly basis, grin

Don't also rule out promotions. If you are quick to learn and understand the "base business" of your employer, you could actually move up the ranks of your organisation relatively quickly (not always though) and make some mad cash as well.

My opinion backed by experience and facts,

Ciao
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by biina: 8:02pm On Dec 31, 2009
sbm4real:

@binna

What is your own sef? Go and get a job in one of the companies and know how much they earn. They have given you an idea of how  much it is. Until they post their employment letter online for you.

Why cant you just take what is useful for you and leave the rest

You dont know who is reading and those guys are trying to be careful or you think its easy,
Nothing is of much use if all we have is people making claims and counter claims. I have not asked anyone to post their personal details, but simply suggested ways to make the thread more informative and less argumentative.

Personally, I am not interested in which is the best paying company in Nigeria as I have no intention of being on anyone's payroll. As for Oil & Gas, been there, done that, and moved on to greater things.
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Ajaxtrojan: 4:55pm On Jan 14, 2010
Hello Everyone.
I just concluded a Masters in Geotechnics at Manchester, and spent the better half of last year (2009) researching salaries.
From my findings ( and very limited REAL knowledge) the salaries depend on the specialty chosen and the value placed on the said specialty by the company in question.
All in all, based on the synopsis,I would say that the TOTAL group leads the pack in terms of bulk salary to the tune of about N700k monthly.
Again, I may be way off, but here is my cent's worth wink
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by blackadam: 6:50pm On Jan 14, 2010
Guys, do not let the last poster misinform you. If it is true which I doubt, Total is paying 700k as per bulk salary then it means they might be among the mid-low paying oil coy in Nigeria. As a Chevron Staff - fresh entry, my bulk pay is way way above that for sure. I will like to agree with one of the earlier posters who says, no oil coy pay above 500k net of basic pay. As per gross, 500k for sure but net should be around 440k net of basic. But if you are talking about the bulk dough, abeg forget, its in excess of 10m cumulative and this is relative cos most money we receive sometimes aren't captured on our employment letters.

Not to sound rude in anyway, I fault your research methodology on this one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.