Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,110 members, 7,828,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679521 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by korangnancy: 11:58pm On Sep 06, 2015
Hello,
I am from Ghana and We are selectees of the DV 2015 program. Our application for visas were however denied on the bases that our two children's given names were arranged differently on their DS-260 forms as against the initial application that we used in winning the DV program.
On the initial DV program application our first child's name appeared as YEBOAH, TAYLOR NHYIRA, but on the DS-260 forms her name appeared as YEBOAH, NHYIRA TAYLOR. Our second child's name appeared as YEBOAH, LOUIS OHENE on the initial application, but on the DS-260 forms his name appeared as YEBOAH, OHENE LOUIS. Meaning that in both cases their two given names switched places

This was not done deliberately to misrepresent ourselves in anyway. This happened because there was no sections on the forms to key in first names and middle names.Their birth certificates and dates of birth as well as their pictures on both forms indicate that they are our children whom we did the initial application with.They were not added on after we were selected. Please is there anything I can do to appeal the decision. Please advise. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 2:45am On Sep 07, 2015
VisaOfficer:

This isn't a question I have an answer to. Maybe someone here can explain how to get the police certificate?

Police Certificate is usually obtained at Alagbon Close. The officers there know exactly what is required and are quite nice and helpful (at least I found them to be!)

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 3:02am On Sep 07, 2015
VisaOfficer:
I thought you all might be interested to know that yesterday I had a chance to get some training at the National Visa Center (NVC), including a tour of the facilities. It's really amazing. You should see the MILLIONS of files, all neatly labeled and filed and tracked. (I felt just like Kristoff when he first sees Elsa's castle in "Frozen" -- "Whoa. Now, that's ice. I might cry... Ice is my life!" )

A few take-aways:

1. NVC was created to reduce the clerical burden on posts. In other words, they want to be sure that spouse petitions are accompanied by marriage certificates, and that a signed affidavit of support was submitted, etc., before they ship a case off. They're not interested in whether the marriage certificate is real or whether the spouses, once married, actually intend to live together as spouses. Those questions are for the officers at post. (I was used to the idea that "USCIS and NVC don't adjudicate; officers do," but I'd never heard it explained explicitly that NVC's primary role is to relieve our burden overseas by collecting the basic documentation, so we can focus on interviews and document verifications and so on.)

2. NVC's tracking system is really impressive. (Again, I felt like Kristoff at Elsa's castle.)

3.a. NVC is focusing on how to make processes better and quicker for petitioners and beneficiaries. For instance, you may have noticed that they no longer ask for certain original documents; they'd rather have photocopies, and ask beneficiaries to bring the originals to the interview, where in most cases they'll be checked and returned. And in the past, they often refused to schedule an interview until ALL the documents were properly submitted. These days, they'll let petitioners know that (for instance) an affidavit of support appears to be faulty, but instead of insisting on a new submission before an interview can be scheduled, they ask the families to bring the new document to the interview at post. So I think you'll start to see waiting periods for petition approvals become noticeably shorter very soon.

3.b. This doesn't mean they're not going to insist on having the correct documents submitted, especially if there appears to be a deeper problem, so anyone who's reading this and thinking they can just file haphazardly is getting the wrong message. smiley

4. I got a chance to verify that sometimes when NVC tells you "Your case has been sent to post," what they mean is "Your case has been packaged to be sent to post, so please don't e-mail LagosIV@state.gov right away insisting that Lagos has your case already, because that's not what we meant. It should go out in tomorrow morning's mail, though; and then give it a couple weeks to get there, please. Thanks!"

5. Most important: The really cool part of talking to people at NVC was the way they all recognized that every single file on the shelf represents a human being who filed a petition and a family who wants to be together. Yes, processing so many cases requires a lot of bureaucracy and technology. But the humans at NVC are also really excited about helping the humans in Lagos and Manila and Reykjavik, etc. I'm glad I got a chance to talk with them. smiley

This is so cool. And insightful. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 3:06am On Sep 07, 2015
Hello VO,

Been a minute.

Great to know you're still with us. Can we file a petition to keep you on here permanently? :wink:

More seriously, I just got back from an international trip and my passport now has just one blank page left. I have a few more international trips coming up that I'll need visas for, meaning I'll need to get a new passport.

Naturally, that brings up the question of how it affects my petition. NVC already sent me an email similar to Titilayodeji13's stating all necessary documentation has been received and an interview will be scheduled.

The petition carries my current passport details. Getting a new passport will mean this one will be cancelled. Is it safe to assume that I can go ahead and get a new passport issued, then bring both to the interview whenever it is scheduled?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Kay213: 6:13am On Sep 07, 2015
Hi VO.
Good morning,
I apologize cause i know this questions might have answered before.

I'm a beneficiary of K1. NVC sent my case number to my fiancee last friday and NVC but said " The NVC will now forward the petition to embassy in LAGOS. Pls note it will take several weeks". I'm filling the D156 form now. My questions are

1) Can i go ahead and get Police clearance and Medical
2) Can i schedule and appointment now since i have the case number with me.

Thanks and looking forward to hear from you.

Olukayode.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 07, 2015
Good Afternoon VO
Pls how long does it take to complete an alien application for a sibling. my brother was telling me that it depends on the state you are filing from.he said in Florida where he is based that it takes like 4-5years,he is about applying for me now.am skeptic about it cause I have seen where you said 12years and will the application ever affect my chances of getting a nonimmigrant visa whenever I want to travel. thanks for the good work you are doing in this thread
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:03pm On Sep 07, 2015
Titilayodeji13:
Dear VO,
Thanks again,for taking your time to reply. It really means a lot to me.
Please I will like to know the factors that make a F2A a success.

Furthermore,what is are the days interval between when one receives interview letter and the the D-Day of the interview.

Thanks.

If the beneficiary has a bona fide spousal relationship with the petitioner, and has no criminal or other ineligibilities, the F2A should be a success.

I don't know how far in advance NVC notifies families of the interview date. Maybe someone else here does?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:05pm On Sep 07, 2015
Omenaisunday12:
Good morning VO,
May God reward your effort, my case has been complete all document completed from the last mail I received from NVC. And my priority date is 2nd February 2014.please when am I expecting my interview date? Thanks

There's no way to answer this question without knowing your visa category.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:08pm On Sep 07, 2015
SirJeffry:
Hi VO, please I have a pressing problem and need your help.

My Wife's petition is already in process and I have paid the AOS fee ($120) and IV fee ($325).

Now I want to start filling the visa forms and that is where my question comes in.

My wife already has a change of name with which I filed her petition but her current passport is in her maiden name.

Can I go ahead and fill her current PASSPORT NUMBER in the visa forms or should she change her passport to her marriage name and get a new passport number before I continue filling the forms?

Thanks for your help here.

You should use her current legal name to fill out the paperwork. She doesn't have to get a new passport, but keep in mind that the name on the visa will match the name on the passport, so it might save some complications if she got a new passport in her new name.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:11pm On Sep 07, 2015
Akinsussy:
thank u so much ma for always been there.pls ma there is something I will like to know.when I went for my interview I discovered that it was scheduled for me my wife and my two children.I told the officèr that they will come and meet me later after I get to the usa.I want them to be with me at most 8 months after I depart.how do I go abt it ma. I am F3 visa applicant.

When they're ready to travel, e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask for an appointment date. If they wait so long that you become a U.S. citizen in the meantime, at that point the F3 case would be closed and you'd have to file new petitions for them all.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13pm On Sep 07, 2015
Tiffae:
Okay...thank you...so the one submitted to NVC should be different from the one to be brought to the interview?

Only in the sense that they'd likely be issued on different dates. (Not sure I'm interpreting your question correctly.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Marryln: 7:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
Hello vo, my birth certificate names are yemi bisi mary. Yemi as my surname bisi my middle name mary as my last name, while my passport name is yemi lola mary, pls vo won't it be a problem during the interview. I told my dad about it he said he has put lola as other name when he's filling the the form in us. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:16pm On Sep 07, 2015
korangnancy:

Hello,
I am from Ghana and We are selectees of the DV 2015 program. Our application for visas were however denied on the bases that our two children's given names were arranged differently on their DS-260 forms as against the initial application that we used in winning the DV program.
On the initial DV program application our first child's name appeared as YEBOAH, TAYLOR NHYIRA, but on the DS-260 forms her name appeared as YEBOAH, NHYIRA TAYLOR. Our second child's name appeared as YEBOAH, LOUIS OHENE on the initial application, but on the DS-260 forms his name appeared as YEBOAH, OHENE LOUIS. Meaning that in both cases their two given names switched places

This was not done deliberately to misrepresent ourselves in anyway. This happened because there was no sections on the forms to key in first names and middle names.Their birth certificates and dates of birth as well as their pictures on both forms indicate that they are our children whom we did the initial application with.They were not added on after we were selected. Please is there anything I can do to appeal the decision. Please advise. Thank you.

You can e-mail the office in Ghana and ask someone to review the case. Make sure you explain why, just as you explained here.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:18pm On Sep 07, 2015
9jaStar:
Hello VO,

Been a minute.

Great to know you're still with us. Can we file a petition to keep you on here permanently? :wink:

More seriously, I just got back from an international trip and my passport now has just one blank page left. I have a few more international trips coming up that I'll need visas for, meaning I'll need to get a new passport.

Naturally, that brings up the question of how it affects my petition. NVC already sent me an email similar to Titilayodeji13's stating all necessary documentation has been received and an interview will be scheduled.

The petition carries my current passport details. Getting a new passport will mean this one will be cancelled. Is it safe to assume that I can go ahead and get a new passport issued, then bring both to the interview whenever it is scheduled?

Yes, that's a perfectly safe assumption. We always check to be sure that the most current passport number is on file; getting a new passport is a common occurrence.

I miss Nigeria! Nairaland keeps me from getting too homesick. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
Kay213:
Hi VO.
Good morning,
I apologize cause i know this questions might have answered before.

I'm a beneficiary of K1. NVC sent my case number to my fiancee last friday and NVC but said " The NVC will now forward the petition to embassy in LAGOS. Pls note it will take several weeks". I'm filling the D156 form now. My questions are

1) Can i go ahead and get Police clearance and Medical
2) Can i schedule and appointment now since i have the case number with me.

Thanks and looking forward to hear from you.

Olukayode.

You should wait until the Consulate notifies you that your case has arrived at post before scheduling an appointment or seeing the panel physician. Doing those things too early can lead to complications if it takes longer than usual for your case to be delivered.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:24pm On Sep 07, 2015
mabella2:
Good Afternoon VO
Pls how long does it take to complete an alien application for a sibling. my brother was telling me that it depends on the state you are filing from.he said in Florida where he is based that it takes like 4-5years,he is about applying for me now.am skeptic about it cause I have seen where you said 12years and will the application ever affect my chances of getting a nonimmigrant visa whenever I want to travel. thanks for the good work you are doing in this thread

The state a person is filing from has no effect whatsoever on the amount of time it takes to process an application. What matters is the priority date (the date the petition was filed), no matter where the filing took place. All F4 petitions currently take 12 or 13 years to become eligible for interviews, regardless of where they were filed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:26pm On Sep 07, 2015
Marryln:
Hello vo, my birth certificate names are yemi bisi mary. Yemi as my surname bisi my middle name mary as my last name, while my passport name is yemi lola mary, pls vo won't it be a problem during the interview. I told my dad about it he said he has put lola as other name when he's filling the the form in us. Thanks

The officer will likely have additional questions for you, but as long as you're your father's daughter, ultimately the names won't make a difference.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:27pm On Sep 07, 2015
winnie123:

Plsease how muxh is the fee for the police clearance/finger print card

No idea. Anyone have an answer to this one?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by prihnce: 7:35pm On Sep 07, 2015
VisaOfficer:

If an officer's not convinced of the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary, but they claim to have a biological relationship (or to have children together), often the officer will suggest a DNA test, rather than simply closing the case and returning the petition for revocation. It's not suggested in every case (or even most cases), but it's very helpful when there's just not enough evidence otherwise to issue a visa.
thanks again
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by prihnce: 7:36pm On Sep 07, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No idea. Anyone have an answer to this one?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Omenaisunday12: 8:42pm On Sep 07, 2015
Good day ma, my visa category is IR1......waiting to hear from you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:46pm On Sep 07, 2015
Omenaisunday12:
Good day ma, my visa category is IR1......waiting to hear from you!

There's no waiting period for IR1s, so if your case is complete, you'll be scheduled for the next available interview date. My guess is that that would be some time before the end of 2015.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Omenaisunday12: 10:03pm On Sep 07, 2015
Thank you somuch for the useful infomation, God bless u.....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by good4all: 10:57pm On Sep 07, 2015
A friend of mine met his American fiancée on FB close to two years ago, due to one reason or the other his fiancé can't come to Nigeria, but she wants to invite him to the States, can she do so? If yes what are the requirements needed on her side to send to my friend? Urgent reply needed

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by good4all: 11:01pm On Sep 07, 2015
A friend of mine met his American fiancée on FB close to two years ago, due to one reason or the other his fiancé can't come to Nigeria, but she wants to invite him to the States, can she do so? If yes what are the requirements needed on her side to send to my friend? Pls Urgent reply needed

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 07, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You should use her current legal name to fill out the paperwork. She doesn't have to get a new passport, but keep in mind that the name on the visa will match the name on the passport, so it might save some complications if she got a new passport in her new name.
Thanks for your prompt response but my question lies more on the passport number. In the visa application form, there's a space for passport number.

I already contacted a Nigerian immigration officer who told me that when a new passport is issued to her based on marriage(change of name), it will bear a new number.

Should I wait for her new passport before filling out the visa forms or can I go ahead and fill out the number in her current passport that still bears her maiden name?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Doziemmba: 2:09am On Sep 08, 2015
Hello VO,I went for an interview on August this year,after getting some information from me the officer told me that they needed more documents to show that the petitioner (my mother)is domiciled in the U.S. I have gathered the requested documents and I have sent an email to lagosIVscheduling@state.gov requesting for a fellow up interview choosing September 18,2015 as a preferred interview date,is getting to 2 weeks now they have not replied my mail.please my amiable VO I need a response from ur office .Case number LGS2009835010.Thank you and remain bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
VisaOfficer:

The state a person is filing from has no effect whatsoever on the amount of time it takes to process an application. What matters is the priority date (the date the petition was filed), no matter where the filing took place. All F4 petitions currently take 12 or 13 years to become eligible for interviews, regardless of where they were filed.
Thank you VO.but pls will it affect my chances of getting a nonimmigrant visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 10:18am On Sep 08, 2015
Pleas how much is it, to enable me plan towards it.

Thank for the response.

[Qquote author=Titilayodeji13 post=37719642]

A police certificate can only be issued by lagos CID headquarters.

Tho the Abuja CID also do the police certificate but the send it to lagos, which means one have to wait for days before one can have it in Abuja but it is immediately issued in Lagos CID headquarters. [/quote]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ochumba: 4:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
gud day.
a friend of mine in ghana wants to register for the american lottery..pls can anyone help me out with the site...for online registration...finger crossed..
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Zone: 4:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
Thanks for your efforts and very useful responses on this thread. I have a b1b2 multiple entry visa that will expire in November which I have not been able to use due to (1) primarily work schedule, (2) was to use it last year but couldn't secure a release because I had just returned from India where I spent over three months on training.

Now I intend to travel to US, before end of this month and return before the expiration of the Visa. Are there any issues or penalties on unused visa I should be concerned of? Kindly advise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.