Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming (19780 Views)

Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / Best Operating System For Programming! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by na2016: 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2021
Timekeeper:

This one is arguing with a comment of 2014.. grin cheesy
no one is arguing with you abeg.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Timekeeper: 6:51pm On Dec 09, 2021
na2016:

no one is arguing with you abeg.

Not talking abt me... I said u r replying a 2014 post

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Ronjule: 6:53pm On Dec 09, 2021
On point my Toshiba making my proud anyday. Smiles
ITbomb:
I don't know why people keep going for HP in spite of numerous keyboard complaints, screen and battery.

I'm not saying you are using HP but go for a good laptop like Lenovo not those fancy gleaming box of crap.

I'm still using my Zinox laptop bought in 2011, the keyboard is still clear and firm in spite of hard gaming, screen is bright battery has reduced to 1 hour 30mins after 4 years meanwhile my friend's hp is peeling and keyboard is rub off, battery is 2 minutes.

Go for Lenovo or Toshiba or probably Dell,
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Kanyol(m): 6:56pm On Dec 09, 2021
Someone suddenly remembered a 2014 thread and opened it.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by michaelbills(m): 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2021
Sell it and buy a corei7

Godfullsam:
Hi guys, I bought a lappy (new hp) during my final year project some years back. AMB, 256 rom, 2 gig ram etc. This laptop has bn lying waste on my table ever since.

I want to know if I can learn programming with a laptop of the above spec.

If no, pls what spec of laptop is OK for learning programming? I want to learn.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Lordbinsmar: 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2021
JaskanFactor:
In my opinion as programmer for decades

You need performance which desktop has over laptop, more cpu power and storage
And mobility is also useful depending on your situation.

The role of the software developer today is learning software framework Platforms and using them to develop Apps.

The most useful frame works have more features which means more code, more files to compile, longer time to build the code, so here a desktop and very powerful one with lots of ram will give you access to more advanced latest software frameworks.

The laptop is good as second PC , and can also be useful for development alongside PC, you can even use your laptop as client for testing code running on Desktop.

But if you only have one pc as developer, Desktop is the way to go, especially if you gona work with things like Graphics and games.

At the end of the day best software means more code means more cpu power to build it, and try too get good cooling for the Desktop PC.
This will allow you access to build any software much faster, some of the Unreal Engine gaming framework code can take 30minutes to build, on laptop that will take hours.

Also do yourself a favour and don't try to develop software unless you have 2 screens at least, but more is better 3 is good number.
One to code, one to read documents , and one for spare

Yo[u are very right Sir.

Though I am not a programmer, but I do high computational engineering projects.

My University computational mechanics research lab has some amazing high computing desktop.

One of the desktop had 64 cores and 256 gig of ram. It's is use mainly for computational fluid dynamics research. This guy can work for weeks without stopping.

I can't imagine any laptop in this world have such computational strenght. I always feel ontop of the world when working on this particular work station.

I heard guys working on computational fluid dynamics at airbus, NASA and Boeing have some crazy work stations. I hope to get to that level some days.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Jayslyder: 7:00pm On Dec 09, 2021
Chairtop bro

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by abimic(m): 7:05pm On Dec 09, 2021
ITbomb:
I don't know why people keep going for HP in spite of numerous keyboard complaints, screen and battery.

I'm not saying you are using HP but go for a good laptop like Lenovo not those fancy gleaming box of crap.

I'm still using my Zinox laptop bought in 2011, the keyboard is still clear and firm in spite of hard gaming, screen is bright battery has reduced to 1 hour 30mins after 4 years meanwhile my friend's hp is peeling and keyboard is rub off, battery is 2 minutes.

Go for Lenovo or Toshiba or probably Dell,
HP is good, it depends on your maintenence. Aside battery, which is normal for all laptop brands, I've never had any issues with hp before. Again, it depends on the brand of hp you use, I've used high end hp in the office for programming and it has been sweet....

If i don't use hp, maybe I'd use Sony vaio, or use a MacBook.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by frankmoney(m): 7:08pm On Dec 09, 2021
Desktop ... If you require lots of CPU power and customisation
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by ReeLoaDead(m): 7:09pm On Dec 09, 2021
kobosmart:

Yinmu which marketable skill you get?
I have many bruh. Common sense is one of them. cool
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Darkseid(m): 7:18pm On Dec 09, 2021
asalimpo:
Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage
If you're done comparing, come make I give you better laptop at low cost grin grin
Serious tech dudes go for Lenovo ThinkPads, stay away from crappy HPs, check the link in my signature.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by meobizy(f): 7:22pm On Dec 09, 2021
Everyone on Nairaland is a coder. What and what programs do they create? We have many writers and freelancers here without proof of work also. I dey look una side eye. Sha, this is the internet, many of you claim Dangote is your houseboy. Reality proves far otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Ifesinachi22(m): 7:28pm On Dec 09, 2021
asalimpo:
Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage

A thread since 2014?

A year before i joined Nairaland
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by na2016: 7:29pm On Dec 09, 2021
Timekeeper:

Not talking abt me... I said u r replying a 2014 post

okay ooo. Enjoy ooo
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Yinksy09(m): 7:38pm On Dec 09, 2021
I know someone that uses laptop for programming and I feel it’s okay and comfortable. You should also get Oraimo earbuds if you love listening to music.

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Ussycool: 7:38pm On Dec 09, 2021
Ahh Jesus

2014 thread?
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Sheriman(m): 7:40pm On Dec 09, 2021
cletz991:
If I have a gift card can I buy from amazon from Nigeria?
You can use your card to buy it now your debit card
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Houseofglam7(f): 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2021
Differentiate:

Swears bro be like say na this one I go take hold body for today since 2014.

I swear down!
cheesy
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by macsilver(m): 8:10pm On Dec 09, 2021
iMac? I think iMac would do the job, but it would be advisable to have a laptop aside so as to continue when Nigeria decides to sing their national anthem (you know what I mean)
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by asapants: 8:14pm On Dec 09, 2021
Dell or Lenovo
Anything more than these two, just keep your money for Dell �
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Sukosam(m): 8:21pm On Dec 09, 2021
CedarHoldings:
For sale 45k
location? I am interested
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TheGift: 8:22pm On Dec 09, 2021
asalimpo:

Do individuals still use desktops as a better option to laptops?
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TheGift: 8:26pm On Dec 09, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

Yo[u are very right Sir.

My University computational mechanics research lab has some amazing high computing desktop.

One of the desktop had 64 cores and 256 gig of ram. It's is use mainly for computational fluid dynamics research. This guy can work for weeks without stopping.

I can't imagine any laptop in this world have such computational strenght. I always feel ontop of the world when working on this particular work station.

I heard guys working on computational fluid dynamics at airbus, NASA and Boeing have some crazy work stations. I hope to get to that level some days.

There is cloud technology. With enough cloud storage and processing feed, is there much of a difference, if any, between laptop and desktop?
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by CSTRR: 8:46pm On Dec 09, 2021
meobizy:
Everyone on Nairaland is a coder. What and what programs do they create? We have many writers and freelancers here without proof of work also. I dey look una side eye. Sha, this is the internet, many of you claim Dangote is your houseboy. Reality proves far otherwise.
When did nairaland become GitHub?
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Simpubozz(m): 9:02pm On Dec 09, 2021
Which kind question b dis one na ?? shocked
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Moutine(m): 9:36pm On Dec 09, 2021
cool
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by jamess32: 9:45pm On Dec 09, 2021
Houseofglam7:
A post from 2014 made front page?

Moral of the story: Don’t give up!!!

wow, you are on point , I did not check the post date until I saw your comment , good observation

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Houseofglam7(f): 9:46pm On Dec 09, 2021
jamess32:

wow, you are on point , I did not check the post date until I saw your comment , good observation
grin
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Deicide: 9:46pm On Dec 09, 2021
but can it run crysis
Lordbinsmar:

Yo[u are very right Sir.

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by kobosmart(m): 9:51pm On Dec 09, 2021
ReeLoaDead:
I have many bruh. Common sense is one of them. cool
How much you don make with your sense?
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by LIVEGOESON1: 9:51pm On Dec 09, 2021
am glad i came across this thread. i just bought my very first laptop intel celeron, 4gb ram. i'm typing this comment with it. please what can i use this little computer for? do not talk about yahoo to me here if you wish to advise me please?
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by ReeLoaDead(m): 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2021
kobosmart:

How much you don make with your sense?
enough to laugh at a hungry boy called kobo grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Few Questions About Aptech Computer Institute??? / Python Vs Java / Let's Stop Talking About Password Strength

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.