Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,832 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming (19810 Views)

Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / Best Operating System For Programming! (2) (3) (4)

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Demosolar: 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2021
How do you enjoy your laptop or desktop under a situation of epileptic power supply situation here in Nigeria? The answer is the purchase and installation of a good Solar inverter systems. I have been using a solar inverter systems for the past four years now and it has been heaven on earth for me and my family. Send me a mail - otegbeye2002@yahoo.com for us to discuss further its importance.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by vibratingpenis: 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2021
ITbomb:
I don't know why people keep going for HP in spite of numerous keyboard complaints, screen and battery.

I'm not saying you are using HP but go for a good laptop like Lenovo not those fancy gleaming box of crap.

I'm still using my Zinox laptop bought in 2011, the keyboard is still clear and firm in spite of hard gaming, screen is bright battery has reduced to 1 hour 30mins after 4 years meanwhile my friend's hp is peeling and keyboard is rub off, battery is 2 minutes.

Go for Lenovo or Toshiba or probably Dell,

Maybe you have issues with hp but am using hp that is almost 3 or 4 years that I got from my mother cos mine is not fine again. The laptop is still functioning well with intel core i3 though. Every electronics gadget will last as much you care for it. I can't understand what you are talking about concerning hp.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by guru90: 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2021
asalimpo:
Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage

This topic created since 2014....... old topic joor
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Bamzyriches451: 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2021
Lappi is bae
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by McTobe(m): 6:10pm On Dec 09, 2021
You are so on point for Zinox.
ITbomb:
I don't know why people keep going for HP in spite of numerous keyboard complaints, screen and battery.

I'm not saying you are using HP but go for a good laptop like Lenovo not those fancy gleaming box of crap.

I'm still using my Zinox laptop bought in 2011, the keyboard is still clear and firm in spite of hard gaming, screen is bright battery has reduced to 1 hour 30mins after 4 years meanwhile my friend's hp is peeling and keyboard is rub off, battery is 2 minutes.

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Maj196(m): 6:10pm On Dec 09, 2021
This is a fvcking necropost.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Godfullsam(m): 6:10pm On Dec 09, 2021
Hi guys, I bought a lappy (new hp) during my final year project some years back. AMB, 256 rom, 2 gig ram etc. This laptop has bn lying waste on my table ever since.

I want to know if I can learn programming with a laptop of the above spec.

If no, pls what spec of laptop is OK for learning programming? I want to learn.

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by vibratingpenis: 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2021
asalimpo:
@ITbomb ur reply is informative. Thing is the sellers will never giv honest feedback and mor ppl buy hp cuz theyve got servce centers in d country. Didnt think theyre products cud b so crappy. Without feedback the alternative is to learn from (mostly) ugly regrettable experience. To think tht zinox laptop cud b so praised. I read of lenovo havg outstandg battery life.Heard bad things spoken abt toshiba.
My criteria are battery life and durability. Would a 6/9 cell battery cut it? What about Dell and acer lappies how do they stack up?
@seun
i get your point.
Extra monitor,keyboard,mouse
seems essential on a laptop.
But then that makes it more and more of a desktop except tht it is portable.

Is zinox still making laptops? I can remember them when it was them supplying laptops to schools then that they made laptop compulsory in UNN apart from that, zinox is one low model entry level laptop.

My experience with toshiba then is that one of their rams is soldered to the motherboard and when it has problem, you can't swap it condemning the whole system.

Lenovo have good laptops. All brands must have low models that will 4k up depending on the user.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Reticular: 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2021
I never thought of any other laptop aside HP and Dell until I got this new Lenovo Thinkpad. The ThinkPad is a solid laptop with a battery power of 12-14 hrs of rugged use. My dell and HP only lasted 4-5 hrs when new and the batteries degraded pretty fast in less than 2 years. I do not see that happening to my Lenovo Thinkpad. Solid Laptop!

ITbomb:

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by kobosmart(m): 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2021
ReeLoaDead:
OP wants to learn software development, not yahoo yahoo tongue
You can do Yahoo with mobile phone?
cry show me way na bros
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by rickyamos: 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2021
Lenovo Thinkpad
E430

core i7

4gb ram

500HDD

Good for programming. Upgradable to 8GB ram.

Alimosho, Lagos.

Whatsapp Contact: 09075825281

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TruthUntold: 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2021
ITbomb:

you sha wicked, LoL.
HP get wahala no be for here, only those that have it can know.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 6:17pm On Dec 09, 2021
Maybe your laptop battery is not enough.
Or for additional backup or for emergencies.

I have the right Laptop powerbank for you
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by DAVE5(m): 6:21pm On Dec 09, 2021
Seun:
A laptop essentially has a low-cost, portable inverter and battery system built in. When your laptop battery deteriorates, you can just replace it.

I’m surprised people are proffering a desktop over a laptop especially when the op has said he wants to use it for programming

laptops have 2 big advantages over desktops which is portability and inbuilt battery, plus for any desktop configuration out there, there’s a laptop which such spec and/or more
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TruthUntold: 6:21pm On Dec 09, 2021
seannopo:
I think there might be a problem with hp laptops bought in nigeria. I bought my laptop in the Uk, its hp dv6 2670 i7. The laptop is getting to 2 years now and the battery still last for 4hrs and upto 5hrs on light use. If you really like hp, I suggest you buy from Uk.

I was thinking the same thing! There's a problem with the electronics they bring into this country, right down to blender/phones/TVs, and I'm talking about those big big household name brands o
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Muyoatlanta(m): 6:22pm On Dec 09, 2021
[quote author=asalimpo post=24358355]Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage [/quote

You are going to eventually need both. If you must choose in order, then I say get a laptop first. It's because of flexibility. In term of capacity it neither here nor there. There are many systems (desktop) that have the same configuration like laptop. You will more like need a desktop if you're going to be multitasking or for demo. If you're going to be learning new skills having a dual screen will have so you can think like both having a desktop for training purposes and laptop for flexibility since desktop isn't very mobile.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Beverages: 6:23pm On Dec 09, 2021
Houseofglam7:
A post from 2014 made front page?

Moral of the story: Don’t give up!!!

Don't give up true true... grin

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by ReeLoaDead(m): 6:23pm On Dec 09, 2021
kobosmart:

You can do Yahoo with mobile phone?
cry show me way na bros
learn a legal marketable skill but if you insist … https://www.nairaland.com/6886323/yahoo-boy-tries-scam-american
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Stanley1155: 6:23pm On Dec 09, 2021
Nokia phone especially 3310
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by henry78okez(m): 6:24pm On Dec 09, 2021

The difference between desktop and laptop is one is not mobile while the other is.

One does not need to be connected to electricity forever while the other needs.

As a Nigerian, u already know the one with more advantages.
wisdom is profitable. u jst nailed it
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Rhaspody(m): 6:25pm On Dec 09, 2021
You said serious programing. if you are compiling a lot of code on a regular basis, go for desktop. but know that not all desktops are the same. and in the same vein, not all laptops are the same. Also you need to consider your budget. if your budget will get you a very powerful laptop, go for it. if it can get you are powerful desktop and you want portability, go for the powerful laptop. i.e a 400k desktop will be as powerful as a 600k laptop. the added advantage of desktops is that you can easily upgrade it.

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by JaskanFactor: 6:26pm On Dec 09, 2021
In my opinion as programmer for decades

You need performance which desktop has over laptop, more cpu power and storage
And mobility is also useful depending on your situation.

The role of the software developer today is learning software framework Platforms and using them to develop Apps.

The most useful frame works have more features which means more code, more files to compile, longer time to build the code, so here a desktop and very powerful one with lots of ram will give you access to more advanced latest software frameworks.

The laptop is good as second PC , and can also be useful for development alongside PC, you can even use your laptop as client for testing code running on Desktop.

But if you only have one pc as developer, Desktop is the way to go, especially if you gona work with things like Graphics and games.

At the end of the day best software means more code means more cpu power to build it, and try too get good cooling for the Desktop PC.
This will allow you access to build any software much faster, some of the Unreal Engine gaming framework code can take 30minutes to build, on laptop that will take hours.

Also do yourself a favour and don't try to develop software unless you have 2 screens at least, but more is better 3 is good number.
One to code, one to read documents , and one for spare

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by cletz991(m): 6:27pm On Dec 09, 2021
If I have a gift card can I buy from amazon from Nigeria?
Sheriman:

It is on Amazon
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Rhaspody(m): 6:28pm On Dec 09, 2021
Godfullsam:
Hi guys, I bought a lappy (new hp) during my final year project some years back. AMB, 256 rom, 2 gig ram etc. This laptop has bn lying waste on my table ever since.

I want to know if I can learn programming with a laptop of the above spec.

If no, pls what spec of laptop is OK for learning programming? I want to learn.

did you say 2gb ram?

any modern laptop from core i3 and ssd and 8gb ram should work fine as you are learning
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Exodora: 6:34pm On Dec 09, 2021
My HP laptop is 7year now apart from the battery everything is perfectly fine and new. Even sold it last week cause I received new one from US.
Laptops' are supposed to be placed on a wooden surface and not ...
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by BlackyOne: 6:37pm On Dec 09, 2021
asalimpo:
^^
10x . I'm looking@ other factors also. Durability (2-3+ years ) , ruggedness. Anything less is not compelling to me.
Keyboard wearg away too soon,
screen being un readable or blotched after sometime just means i bought a fancy toy.
But i hav no xperience with lappies for programming doe.

You already know all this, then why do you have to disturb the elders
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by na2016: 6:38pm On Dec 09, 2021
ITbomb:

Did you mention Toshiba? Toshiba Satelite gave me serious issues. Abeg no mention that crap again
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Timekeeper: 6:41pm On Dec 09, 2021
Houseofglam7:
A post from 2014 made front page?

Moral of the story: Don’t give up!!!

The modssss are sick in the head aswear

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Timekeeper: 6:42pm On Dec 09, 2021
na2016:

Did you mention Toshiba? Toshiba Satelite gave me serious issues. Abeg no mention that crap again

This one is arguing with a comment of 2014.. grin cheesy

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Lordbinsmar: 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2021
ITbomb:

Stop saying what you don't know angry

HP has extremely excellent work station laptop for high computational work.

My HP Z BOOk pro 17 is still as good as new.

I have been using it for high computational work such as CAD modelling, finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics.

Since 2018. The battery still last more than 3hrs for normal stuffs and close to 2hrs when doing high computational work.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by kobosmart(m): 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2021
ReeLoaDead:
learn a legal marketable skill but if you insist … https://www.nairaland.com/6886323/yahoo-boy-tries-scam-american
Yinmu which marketable skill you get?

Python Vs Java / Few Questions About Aptech Computer Institute??? / Let's Stop Talking About Password Strength

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55