Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,499 members, 7,854,122 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:08 AM

Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child (24178 Views)

How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language? / Female Child Contesting For King In Her Mother's Side / Rude Nigeria Men: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Joel3(m): 8:22am On Jul 03, 2014
girls are getting fuvked anyhow. And the bad side they started fuvking very early at 13 to 15. This act hurt the parent with fear and they are insignificant to family bonds.

If something has to be done in the family only the men are selected like marriage or burial representation right. The men in the family handles that. Women are insignificant to tradition history. They are carried away and far away and the men remain with the family and name.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Chynx(m): 8:23am On Jul 03, 2014
Pedro JP:

No it's not fading away, those who pretend not to care only accept settling for the less. When u don't have a male child, u know dat d pride is not there in dat family.

#TruthIsBitter!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 03, 2014

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Chynx(m): 8:25am On Jul 03, 2014
charles316: In nigeria,the male child is preferably because they are more focused in life. The girls grow up to be promiscous(they never admit it or see anything wrong in it).

Thats rather too harsh... undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zeongeon: 8:26am On Jul 03, 2014
Point of correction its not only an african thing to value male children from the beginning of time every nation, tribe, race and kingdom have always had this value for male children even to a point where they even worship the male reproductive organ (phallus) as a symbol of life, fertility and continuity.

Even in this present age aside africa most people regardless of tribe, race and nation still value the male child just because people have decided to be open minded when it comes to the sex of there kids doesn't mean the value they place on a male child is wearing off.

I think the value on d male child is a natural imprint in d minds of humans because of the values, exploits and capabilities that comes with being a male for example a man was known to be first created, males where kings and where worshipped as gods, males where seen as natural leaders and warriors, males where seen to be d custodians off culture and heritage and where responsible for passing it down.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Chynx(m): 8:28am On Jul 03, 2014
PStylish: If you had the premonition/foreknowledge that you can only ever have one child in your life and have to make a choice, which would you choose?

A male of a female?
Many will lie about this just to buttresses a point.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Chynx(m): 8:32am On Jul 03, 2014
zeongeon: Point of correction its not only an african thing to value male children from the beginning of time every nation, tribe, race and kingdom have always had this value for male children even to a point where they even worship the male reproductive organ (phallus) as a symbol of life, fertility and continuity.

Even in this present age aside africa most people regardless of tribe, race and nation still value the male child just because people have decided to be open minded when it comes to the sex of there kids doesn't mean the value they place on a male child is wearing off.

I think the value on d male child is a natural imprint in d minds of humans because of the values, exploits and capabilities that comes with being a male for example a man was known to be first created, males where kings and where worshipped as gods, males where seen as natural leaders and warriors, males where seen to be d custodians off culture and heritage and where responsible for passing it down.

This is as plain and simple as it can get. This doesn't mean we don't love and cherish our female offsprings.

I doff my hat!
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 03, 2014
@OP, you're right in your observation... Male child preference is subject to inheritance and is rampant in the south eastern part of this country(igbos to be precise)... I think it's an overlooked form of discrimination in certain families... Mother inlaws are always the ones orchestrating this idea/belief and executing it by persuading the son to chase out the wife for not giving birth to a Son...

It is only in Africa that you can observe this farce... It isn't practised in europe, asia and america... A good example is barack obama... His two kids are females and he's contented with it... If it were in nigeria, he would marry another wife who he believes would get his much coveted Son.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by PedroJP(m): 9:00am On Jul 03, 2014
PStylish: If you had the premonition/foreknowledge that you can only ever have one child in your life and have to make a choice, which would you choose?

A male or a female?

OP please answer
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by PedroJP(m): 9:06am On Jul 03, 2014
PStylish:

My wife's relations were exceptionally happy when they learnt she had delivered a boy. They know why. grin

Glory be to God in the highest. Hallelujah!!! cheesy

Can't stop laughing
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by captaino21: 9:15am On Jul 03, 2014
op abeg, na wen ur wife giv u 7girls u go know y
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by DocAdray(f): 9:15am On Jul 03, 2014
African mentality, Cultural belief...
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Danielotuya(m): 9:25am On Jul 03, 2014
todayguest: It's not an African thing like you claim. It's a very old practise. Even the Jews do it. For instance, Jacob in the bible had more than twelve children, why are only the males counted and alotted lands. Are the females not his? Also, in Jesus' time too, only men are numbered. 'he fed four thousand men' when, the women could even be more. However, today's society is pushing for a balance. That desire, can't take off, our love for our family names to go on. Which, the females can't do for us. Personally, I love both sexes. They are wonderful. Like you said, it's only families who have been blessed with kids who do it.

True talk. I only said african mentality because i believe d white man for nw relates wit both sexes as equal bt like u said we are getting there
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Bigsteveg(m): 9:30am On Jul 03, 2014
zicjoe: dats a wacked mentality

Hypocrite, such people like u scream out when dey can't get a male child.

@op...both are gifts from God and are all beautiful, however i don't like to have a particular sex as children (as in all boys or or girls) i prefer to have both.

And also to have ur question, u need a man to carry on ur legacy after uve gone, someone to go on with the family name, a son can also do better managing the family fortune than a son in law who can even throw the daughter out anytime.

A daughter commitment is to her immediate family( ie her husband wish will be her wish which may not be accepted in d father house), But a son.............u know now.

Call me woteva name u call me, waitin for the fish brain like to quote me and i fire u. Most of u say something and inside ur cupboard, u do something else.....am ready for y'all

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by hoodboy(m): 9:34am On Jul 03, 2014
frankben:
It is only in Africa that you can observe this farce... It isn't practised in europe, asia and america... A good example is barack obama... His two kids are females and he's contented with it... If it were in nigeria, he would marry another wife who he believes would get his much coveted Son.

oga read up gendercide in india and asia, stop being ignorant.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Agrika: 9:41am On Jul 03, 2014
charles316: In nigeria,the male child is preferably because they are more focused in life. The girls grow up to be promiscous(they never admit it or see anything wrong in it).
promiscous as in how?
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by ZUBY77(m): 9:47am On Jul 03, 2014
Isnt that in the Bible you people claim to love so much?
bunch of confused fellows.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Dfavouredone: 10:00am On Jul 03, 2014
Joshuadon: It been observed that virtually all nigerian love and cherish to have male child to females ones,the reason for that am still searching cus children are precious gift from God...please share your own opinion here....

Well, the reason for the preference of a male child are enormous and it does not matter whether some pple see it as archaic or not, it remain valid. Some of these reasons are:

1. Teenage pregnancy can bring more shame to a girl child's parent than to a male child's (who pregnant a girl at teens age) parent.

2. A male child will grow up to be in charge of his home deciding what his wife and children do but a female child will be subject to her husband when they will marry (Bible standard and not modernization). Hence parent have more say in the marriage if their child is the man than if their child is the woman. (Mothers like this so much; mother-in-law syndrome - story for another day).

3. Women lost their surname at marriage but men dont - parents afraid of not having someone to carry on their name at their demise prefer a male child to a female child.

4. 8 or 9 out of 10 male are authoritative (whether for good or for evil) while 8 out of 10 female are subjective (this is not only in africa but the world over - that is why you have more male in high political office and billionaire than female; the exceptional female you will be tempted to start to mention just make the remaining 2 out of 10. Hence parents prefer male children (whether subconsciously or acknowledged) not only because they see a male child as a symbol of greatness but someone who can take charge of the house and defend it on their it behalf.

5. Intimidation from outsiders is another reason why parents prefer male child. A family of seven girls and no boy can be bullied by neighbors and school mate (maybe until they grow up to have some influence other than physical strength); compare to a family of seven boys - people nor go find trouble dey reach ur gate.

6. Female requires so such attention in up bringing because one moment off eye on her could cause havoc, hence leaving their parent with plenty of responsibility and little time for themselves than their male counterpart who parent can leave without much ado. A little off moment with ur female child could see her trying "things" likely to bring family to disrepute. Personally, my mum calls my sisters everyday while in Uni while I am allow to roam without a call sometimes for weeks, and they send her much more money even tho her course was less expensive.

7. Both male and female could bring shame to a parent but a female shame could be bigger. Like a girl Running to stay with a guy as against a guy bringing a girl in. A girl smoking as against a guy smoking. A girl getting pregnant out of wedlock as against a guy impregnating a girl out of wedlock. So a male child places a lesser moral burden on their parents than the female child. - tho i am not saying male child could misbehavior.

8. Societal expectation also makes parents to prefer the male child a family without a male child could become a prayer point or worst still - a laughing stock.

NB: This doesnt makes a girl child less important or inferior as they too have their place. That women prefer pink colour generally to brown does not make brown inferior.

These and many other are the spoken or the unspoken reasons why most parents subconsciously or consciously prefer a male child.
Also, the comparison given above is the general trends between male and female gender; so it is not unlikely to see some small percentage of specific exception.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Inkredible(m): 10:07am On Jul 03, 2014
NewsINigeria: It is only in Africa

Maheeda Releases another set of Hot N*DE photos
>>> http://www./entertainment/maheeda-releases-another-set-hot-nde-photos/
I jump am pass any maheeda nude pix this year.*shuts eye tightly muttering prayers*. @OP, you na get respect at all. Swear say u no sabi the answer to that ur question. Mtchew! Perverse generation.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Votukpa(m): 10:09am On Jul 03, 2014
Men run the show simple and short. But this truism is quickly becoming an elaborate falsehood and farce because women are being told that they are superior.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Oahray: 10:15am On Jul 03, 2014
DesChyko: Easy.. Continuity of the family.. The males carry on the family names.
well unless you are from one of the seven kingdoms of George Martin's fictional Westeros (Game of Thrones), I don't see how this is true. Ever heard of a House Nnamdi or Oladapo or Garuba or Egharevba, whose generations keep bearing the family name for many centuries? Family names only last two or three generations at most.

Carrying on the family name is an illusion we have come to believe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 03, 2014
says who? i want only daughters!!!!!!!!!!!! we are too many men in my family undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Opiosko: 10:53am On Jul 03, 2014
hydeka: Ask our ancestors. But I think this preference for male children is what makes many females feel that they're inferior and hence all this attempt on the part of the females to prove men wrong. That is what brought this idea of 'what a man can do a woman can do better' But I personally think that both males and females are important, it's just that we have different graces for different things. Question: If a man's ancestors had only given birth to males how would he have been born?
Did ur ancestore married from within ur family...do ur people marry their blood relations.?
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zyzxx(m): 11:01am On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu: All kids are amazing and a total blessing no matter what sex they are, providing they are brought up correctly...
I will agree with dis "" providing they are brought up correctly...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by hemor(m): 11:08am On Jul 03, 2014
i think dat is a personal ish and different people want different things. As for me i don't really care about sex cos we don't determine our children's sex buh if I can, i would prefer a girl cos i know d stress and trouble i caused when i was small which I'm not ready to take.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Opiosko: 11:08am On Jul 03, 2014
If you are a prince where kingship by father to son practice is d tradition, or ur family holds one of the top traditional stool in ur community, u will undertand better. That's all i have to say.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kudiice(m): 11:08am On Jul 03, 2014
Well, I think it's the fact that the male children get to carry on the family legacy and identity, while the female gets to join another's legacy. As humans, our legacy is the most important thing after we die because that shows the mark that we have lived, and not just existed, and also the leadership nature of a male being the head.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 03, 2014
Joshuadon: It been observed that virtually all nigerian love and cherish to have male child to females ones,the reason for that am still searching cus children are precious gift from God...please share your own opinion here....

The main reason for this is because they want a child to continue the family lineage and name whereas the girl-child ll eventually marry and adopt another man' family name
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 12:09pm On Jul 03, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Hypocrite, such people like u scream out when dey can't get a male child.

@op...both are gifts from God and are all beautiful, however i don't like to have a particular sex as children (as in all boys or or girls) i prefer to have both.

And also to have ur question, u need a man to carry on ur legacy after uve gone, someone to go on with the family name, a son can also do better managing the family fortune than a son in law who can even throw the daughter out anytime.

A daughter commitment is to her immediate family( ie her husband wish will be her wish which may not be accepted in d father house), But a son.............u know now.

Call me woteva name u call me, waitin for the fish brain like to quote me and i fire u. Most of u say something and inside ur cupboard, u do something else.....am ready for y'all
dnt blank me an hypocrite. Cos u dnt kno ma persn. Jus shut up or sleep. I aint no fan of (i reteirate) dat WACKED MENTALITY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 12:12pm On Jul 03, 2014
DWJOBS.com:
Things people say in the name of swearing!!!!.....SMH
things lyk.........
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 12:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu:

Tell your fellow brothers that angry
by d last tym i checked evry quoted post is seen by both brothers and sisters.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by cinderellla(f): 12:48pm On Jul 03, 2014
I want a good child.

Male or female, I do not care.

I'll definitely not marry someone with this mentality.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Omabe Masquerade Festival In Enugu Ezike, A Nairalander's Village (Photos) / Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 / How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.