Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Tradition And Progress - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tradition And Progress (6107 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / The Clash Of Tradition And Christianity In Ekukunela / Would You Obey Tradition And Allow Your Wife Appear Like This On Your TM Day 18+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tradition And Progress by kingston277(m): 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2014
"The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you can see."
-- Winston Churchill

It has always been intuitively obvious to me that the past and the future cannot be severed from each other. Back when I was a young, naive liberal, it never occurred to me that I should despise the old simply because it is old; when I grew older, wiser, and more "conservative," I never felt that the new is bad, simply because it is new. The only problem, for me, has been to understand how "tradition" and "progress" came to be considered contrasting rather than complementary opposites, and to articulate the reasons why this contrast is unnecessary, and even dangerous.

At first glance, it seems that "conservatism" and "progressivism" are equally self-evident, yet equally vacuous. Who will deny that good things ought to be preserved, and that evils ought to be abolished? It makes no sense to distinguish between "progressives" and "conservatives" without indicating what kind of progress, or conservation of what. It makes no sense to want to change everything all at once, or to preserve everything forever.

Although conservatives rarely if ever want "to preserve everything forever," conservatism emerged historically as a defensive reaction against people who did want "to change everything all at once." The political Left is defined, first and foremost, by its desire to tear down the existing society and build some preconceived utopia on the ruins. No wonder the Right has habitually regarded the future as a menace.

The irony is that it's the utopians, from Plato on down to the feminists and environmentalists, who believe that society is, or can be, eternally fixed and inalterable. The utopian, exactly like the caricatured conservative, intends to "stand athwart history yelling Stop!" -- once he has recast society on his own design. Utopians underestimate the complexity and dynamism of the world, and overestimate the power of a simple and static order. Society is too complex, unpredictable, and deeply rooted to be designed or recreated by anyone.

Every plan for the complete reconstruction of society must be rejected outright, no matter what goals it aims at. The attempt to level society and rebuild it from the ground up will only lead to death and destruction; society will be damaged, but no utopia will replace it. Nor can the evolution of society be predicted or planned: there are too many variables. The world has a certain resistence to the force of human intentions, a certain inertia, even a certain perversity.

There are two reasons for this. The first is that man is not omniscient, and therefore all our actions have unforeseeable consequences. The second is that man, by nature, is free; that is to say, he has free will.

The intentions of social planners will always run up against the wills of the rest of us -- us, the planned. Whenever a self-selected few set themselves up to plan the destiny of all mankind, as the Communists did and as the liberals still do, they set themselves against every other human being; every one of us, to some extent, is going to resist being treated like inanimate matter to be shaped according to some planners' notion of how the world should be.

Now, "progress" must have a particular direction, which is itself a matter of debate. There are different kinds of "progressives": nowadays, there are liberals and libertarians. Liberals want to "progress" towards an all-powerful government; libertarians want to "progress" towards anarchy. The good news is that "progress" is indeterminate: we are free to decide for ourselves what it means -- what we want to progress towards. We can re-examine the idea of "progress" and redefine it as the continuation and enlargement of our inherited culture, rather than its contradiction and destruction.

Progressivism and conservatism, as such, do not contradict each other: in fact, each is necessary for the other. Tradition, Chesterton said, is democracy for the dead; progress, then, is democracy for the unborn. We owe a kind of filial piety to the past -- to the ancestors who slowly built up our civilization over the generations; and surely the best homage we can pay them is to continue to increase the civilization we have inherited, which we in turn will hand down to our descendants.

Conservatism is pointless with nothing to conserve; it is dependent on prior discovery and creation. Tradition, the inherited wisdom of the race, is simply the accumulation of the wisdom of individuals. A hallowed past is not a dead past -- it is the foundation for the works of the present and future. The past dies when its heirs fail to increase it.

It is futile and pointless simply to try to preserve the status quo, which is always doomed, sooner or later, to go the way of all mortal things. Progress is necessary for our very survival: history shows that a relatively static society is doomed to be overrun by more innovative competitors. Innovations strengthen the established order by adapting it to changing circumstances.

On the other hand, tradition and order are needed to consolidate and preserve past accomplishments. Innovations are only enduring when integrated into an established order. No matter how desirable any reform may be, the preservation of social order and the rule of law must always have greater priority. Given this basic stability and continuity, one may effect gradual and prudent reforms, as necessary.

It is a basic requirement of human action to have stable and predictable social conditions. Any rapid change or violent disturbances, even in the name of "progress," can only threaten the security that individuals and societies require to survive and flourish. The complexity of civil society is such that any attempt to impose sudden, drastic changes will only lead to chaos. Stability and law are inherently necessary and good, even if a stable order is less than perfect, and even if there are some bad laws.

Society is natural; types of society are conventional. Given the existence of society and human nature, and their requirements, it is possible to evaluate the many possible forms of society. The problem is to discover how to make convention conform to the standard set by nature, without disrupting the social order as a whole.

Some things are bad and wrong, everywhere and always, and one should try to eliminate them when they exist, and prevent them when they do not. But in the gray areas, which are most areas, we should accept that which is, simply because it is. "When it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change."

The habit of questioning traditions is a dangerous one. The very fact that a particular institution or custom has existed for a long time, creates a very strong presumption in favor of continuing it. This is true for two reasons.

First, human beings are imperfectly and unequally rational. Therefore, most human behavior is determined by the forces of imitation and habit: in a word, tradition. Reason is embodied in history by means of tradition, and tradition must in turn be guided by reason. Reason discovers new facts, ideas and techniques; this knowledge gradually becomes taken for granted, habitual, quasi-automatic, freeing the mind to discover new things. Very few people discover or invent anything; they learn from those who do, by imitation. Nor could even the creative minority recreate the whole body of knowledge they have inherited; they have to take it for granted just as much as the inert majority.

No one person, no one generation, can independently discover all truth. No one can even guide his own individual life solely on the basis of reason, without the support of tradition. Reason alone, then, is even more inadequate to create a whole social system. Reason must operate on the substance of a given situation: an individual life, or a common culture. Individuals and societies must take their inherited beliefs and customs for granted, and only examine and change them in exceptional circumstances.

Ordinarily a tradition is not recognized as such: it is simply "the way things are done." When a tradition is recognized, it can be either rejected, modified, or affirmed. The last course is the safest, because there may well be reasons for a tradition that we have forgotten, and relearning those reasons the hard way would be unnecessary, and probably painful.

Thus, rationalism is not necessarily opposed to tradition. It is precisely reason that reveals the importance of tradition, a fact of human nature that must be reckoned with.

Second, traditions have value in and of themselves, regardless of their content: they are social landmarks that give us our bearings in the world. Inherited patterns of behavior connect us spiritually to the past from which we inherited them, to those around us who share the same ways of doing things, and to those in the future to whom we shall pass our inheritance on.

It has often been said that rapid technological change requires us to change our morals, customs, and institutions. This is plausible only if we assume that man was made for the machine, not the machine for man. Technology only gives us new means to pursue ends: it is up to us to decide what we will do with it. If anything, technological progress makes cultural conservatism more necessary than ever. We need to hold on to our old standards and purposes, lest we be lured (as so many have been) into making idols of our machines.

Conservatism is not (or need not be) merely a resistance to change in general, but a positive attachment to some particular way of life and the community that embodies it. Because communities, traditions, and nations do exist and are important, conservatism is not merely temperamental and insubstantial. Shared traditions are essential for social cohesion, and therefore a primary and permanent good. Any conception of "progress" that undermines social cohesion is flawed -- it is not progressive at all, but destructive.

It is this attachment to particular traditions that allows us to maintain the thread of continuity through the changefulness of the world. The most politically relevant attachment is patriotism, loyalty to one's country: in the modern Western context, this means loyalty to one's nation-state. America has changed amazingly (not always for the better) since we became an independent nation, but we are still the same country we were in 1776, and if we are willing, we shall still be the same country in 2776.

© 1999 by Karl Jahn
http://karljahn.tripod.com/tan/tradprog.html

2 Likes

Re: Tradition And Progress by TerryCarr(m): 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2014
nice article
Re: Tradition And Progress by Smartsyn(m): 5:52am On Jul 12, 2014
nice article
Re: Tradition And Progress by Hackerjay(m): 5:52am On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Tradition And Progress by kbshow100(m): 5:58am On Jul 12, 2014
I hope you're not expecting me to read everything you wrote above, (because it ain't SOS 404). Contact me when give the summary.

2 Likes

Re: Tradition And Progress by date1816: 5:58am On Jul 12, 2014
What Great People said about the Prophet Muhammad PBUH?
Some of the famous, contemporary personalities who read the biography of the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, could not help but admit that he was a master with excellent manners and an honorable character, and the following are some of their sayings:
Michael Hart , author of ‘The 100:
A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History’ said: "My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level.”
George Bernard Shaw, the British playwright said:
“The world is in dire need of a man with the mind of Muhammad; religious people in the Middle Ages, due to their ignorance and prejudice, had pictured him in a very dark way as they used to consider him the enemy of Christianity. But after looking into the story of this man I found it to be an amazing and a miraculous one, and I came to the conclusion that he was never an enemy of Christianity, and must be called instead the savior of humanity. In my opinion, if he was to be given control over the world today, he would solve our problems and secure the peace and happiness which the world is longing for.”
Annie Besant, wrote in ‘The Life and Teachings of Muhammad’ :
“It is impossible for anyone who studies the personality of the great Prophet of the Arabs, and come to know how this prophet he used to live, and how he taught the people, but to feel respect towards this honorable prophet; one of the great messengers whom Allaah sent”
Alphonse de La Martaine wrote in ‘Historie de la Turquie’:
"If greatness of purpose, smallness of means, and astonishing results are the three criteria of a human genius, who could dare compare any great man in history with Muhammad? The most famous men created arms, laws, and empires only. They founded, if anything at all, no more than material powers which often crumbled away before their eyes. This man moved not only armies, legislations, empires, peoples, dynasties, but millions of men in one-third of the then inhabited world; and more than that, he moved the altars, the gods, the religions, the ideas, the beliefs and the souls. Philosopher, Orator, Apostle, Legislator, Conqueror of Ideas, Restorer of Rational beliefs... The founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire -- that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?”
J.W.H. Stab wrote in ‘Islam and its Founder ’ :
“ Judged by the smallness of the means at his disposal, and the extent and permanence of the work that he accomplished, no name in world's history shines with a more specious luster than that of the Prophet of Makkah. To the impulse, which he gave, numberless dynasties have owed their existence, fair cities and stately palaces and temples have arisen, and wide provinces became obedient to the Faith. And beyond all this, his words have governed the belief of generations, been accepted as their rule of life, and their certain guide to the world to come. At a thousand shrines the voices of the faithful invoke blessings on him, whom they esteem the very Prophet of God, the seal of the Apostles… Judged by the standards to human renown, the glory of what mortal can compare with his?”
Dr. Gustav Weil writes in ‘History of the Islamic Peoples ’:
“Muhammad was a shining example to his people. His character was pure and stainless. His house, his dress, his food - they were characterized by a rare simplicity. So unpretentious was he that he would receive from his companions no special mark of reverence, nor would he accept any service from his slave which he could do for himself. He was accessible to all and at all times. He visited the sick and was full of sympathy for all. Unlimited was his benevolence and generosity as also was his anxious care for the welfare of the community.”
Th e British philosopher, Thomas Carlyle, who won the Nobel Prize for his book ‘The Heroes’ wrote:
“It is a great shame for any one to listen to the accusation that Islaam is a lie and that Muhammad was a fabricator and a deceiver. We saw that he remained steadfast upon his principles, with firm determination; kind and generous, compassionate, pious, virtuous, with real manhood, hardworking and sincere. Besides all these qualities, he was lenient with others, tolerant, kind, cheerful and praiseworthy and perhaps he would joke and tease his companions. He was just, truthful, smart, pure, magnanimous and present-minded; his face was radiant as if he had lights within him to illuminate the darkest of nights; he was a great man by nature who was not educated in a school nor nurtured by a teacher as he was not in need of any of this.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, the German writer said:
“Us, Europeans, with all our concepts could not reach what Muhammad has reached, and no one will be able to precede him. I have looked in the history of humanity for an example and found that it was Muhammad, as the truth must be revealed. Indeed, Muhammad succeeded to subdue the entire world to monotheism”.

8 Likes

Re: Tradition And Progress by Pavore9: 6:03am On Jul 12, 2014
hmm..
Re: Tradition And Progress by Yoney007(f): 6:18am On Jul 12, 2014
Epistle lipsrsealed
Re: Tradition And Progress by mallorca(m): 6:22am On Jul 12, 2014
You'll need to hold me hostage at gun point b4 i read this long crap

2 Likes

Re: Tradition And Progress by missdebs(f): 6:24am On Jul 12, 2014
summary

in simple language pls
Re: Tradition And Progress by plainmirror(m): 6:34am On Jul 12, 2014
All I see is conservatism and progressiveness.
tongue
Re: Tradition And Progress by phayvoursky(m): 6:45am On Jul 12, 2014
This looks like a document from the UN.

When you summarize the stuff; call me up.

1 Like

Re: Tradition And Progress by fuckluv(f): 7:23am On Jul 12, 2014
I was just scrolling down to see if someone has summarised it, i just woke up abeg.
No bombard my brain lipsrsealed
Re: Tradition And Progress by ghostofsparta(m): 7:25am On Jul 12, 2014
Tradition and progress?
Re: Tradition And Progress by Beehshorp(m): 7:57am On Jul 12, 2014
Kk
kingston277: "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you can see."
-- Winston Churchill
It has always been intuitively obvious to me that the past and the future cannot be severed from each other. Back when I was a young, naive liberal, it never occurred to me that I should despise the old simply because it is old; when I grew older, wiser, and more "conservative," I never felt that the new is bad, simply because it is new. The only problem, for me, has been to understand how "tradition" and "progress" came to be considered contrasting rather than complementary opposites, and to articulate the reasons why this contrast is unnecessary, and even dangerous.
At first glance, it seems that "conservatism" and "progressivism" are equally self-evident, yet equally vacuous. Who will deny that good things ought to be preserved, and that evils ought to be abolished? It makes no sense to distinguish between "progressives" and "conservatives" without indicating what kind of progress, or conservation of what. It makes no sense to want to change everything all at once, or to preserve everything forever.
Although conservatives rarely if ever want "to preserve everything forever," conservatism emerged historically as a defensive reaction against people who did want "to change everything all at once." The political Left is defined, first and foremost, by its desire to tear down the existing society and build some preconceived utopia on the ruins. No wonder the Right has habitually regarded the future as a menace.
The irony is that it's the utopians, from Plato on down to the feminists and environmentalists, who believe that society is, or can be, eternally fixed and inalterable. The utopian, exactly like the caricatured conservative, intends to "stand athwart history yelling Stop!" -- once he has recast society on his own design. Utopians underestimate the complexity and dynamism of the world, and overestimate the power of a simple and static order. Society is too complex, unpredictable, and deeply rooted to be designed or recreated by anyone.
Every plan for the complete reconstruction of society must be rejected outright, no matter what goals it aims at. The attempt to level society and rebuild it from the ground up will only lead to death and destruction; society will be damaged, but no utopia will replace it. Nor can the evolution of society be predicted or planned: there are too many variables. The world has a certain resistence to the force of human intentions, a certain inertia, even a certain perversity.
There are two reasons for this. The first is that man is not omniscient, and therefore all our actions have unforeseeable consequences. The second is that man, by nature, is free; that is to say, he has free will.
The intentions of social planners will always run up against the wills of the rest of us -- us, the planned. Whenever a self-selected few set themselves up to plan the destiny of all mankind, as the Communists did and as the liberals still do, they set themselves against every other human being; every one of us, to some extent, is going to resist being treated like inanimate matter to be shaped according to some planners' notion of how the world should be.
Now, "progress" must have a particular direction, which is itself a matter of debate. There are different kinds of "progressives": nowadays, there are liberals and libertarians. Liberals want to "progress" towards an all-powerful government; libertarians want to "progress" towards anarchy. The good news is that "progress" is indeterminate: we are free to decide for ourselves what it means -- what we want to progress towards. We can re-examine the idea of "progress" and redefine it as the continuation and enlargement of our inherited culture, rather than its contradiction and destruction.
Progressivism and conservatism, as such, do not contradict each other: in fact, each is necessary for the other. Tradition, Chesterton said, is democracy for the dead; progress, then, is democracy for the unborn. We owe a kind of filial piety to the past -- to the ancestors who slowly built up our civilization over the generations; and surely the best homage we can pay them is to continue to increase the civilization we have inherited, which we in turn will hand down to our descendants.
Conservatism is pointless with nothing to conserve; it is dependent on prior discovery and creation. Tradition, the inherited wisdom of the race, is simply the accumulation of the wisdom of individuals. A hallowed past is not a dead past -- it is the foundation for the works of the present and future. The past dies when its heirs fail to increase it.
It is futile and pointless simply to try to preserve the status quo, which is always doomed, sooner or later, to go the way of all mortal things. Progress is necessary for our very survival: history shows that a relatively static society is doomed to be overrun by more innovative competitors. Innovations strengthen the established order by adapting it to changing circumstances.
On the other hand, tradition and order are needed to consolidate and preserve past accomplishments. Innovations are only enduring when integrated into an established order. No matter how desirable any reform may be, the preservation of social order and the rule of law must always have greater priority. Given this basic stability and continuity, one may effect gradual and prudent reforms, as necessary.
It is a basic requirement of human action to have stable and predictable social conditions. Any rapid change or violent disturbances, even in the name of "progress," can only threaten the security that individuals and societies require to survive and flourish. The complexity of civil society is such that any attempt to impose sudden, drastic changes will only lead to chaos. Stability and law are inherently necessary and good, even if a stable order is less than perfect, and even if there are some bad laws.
Society is natural; types of society are conventional. Given the existence of society and human nature, and their requirements, it is possible to evaluate the many possible forms of society. The problem is to discover how to make convention conform to the standard set by nature, without disrupting the social order as a whole.
Some things are bad and wrong, everywhere and always, and one should try to eliminate them when they exist, and prevent them when they do not. But in the gray areas, which are most areas, we should accept that which is, simply because it is. "When it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change."
The habit of questioning traditions is a dangerous one. The very fact that a particular institution or custom has existed for a long time, creates a very strong presumption in favor of continuing it. This is true for two reasons.
First, human beings are imperfectly and unequally rational. Therefore, most human behavior is determined by the forces of imitation and habit: in a word, tradition. Reason is embodied in history by means of tradition, and tradition must in turn be guided by reason. Reason discovers new facts, ideas and techniques; this knowledge gradually becomes taken for granted, habitual, quasi-automatic, freeing the mind to discover new things. Very few people discover or invent anything; they learn from those who do, by imitation. Nor could even the creative minority recreate the whole body of knowledge they have inherited; they have to take it for granted just as much as the inert majority.
No one person, no one generation, can independently discover all truth. No one can even guide his own individual life solely on the basis of reason, without the support of tradition. Reason alone, then, is even more inadequate to create a whole social system. Reason must operate on the substance of a given situation: an individual life, or a common culture. Individuals and societies must take their inherited beliefs and customs for granted, and only examine and change them in exceptional circumstances.

Ordinarily a tradition is not recognized as such: it is simply "the way things are done." When a tradition is recognized, it can be either rejected, modified, or affirmed. The last course is the safest, because there may well be reasons for a tradition that we have forgotten, and relearning those reasons the hard way would be unnecessary, and probably painful.

Thus, rationalism is not necessarily opposed to tradition. It is precisely reason that reveals the importance of tradition, a fact of human nature that must be reckoned with.

Second, traditions have value in and of themselves, regardless of their content: they are social landmarks that give us our bearings in the world. Inherited patterns of behavior connect us spiritually to the past from which we inherited them, to those around us who share the same ways of doing things, and to those in the future to whom we shall pass our inheritance on.

It has often been said that rapid technological change requires us to change our morals, customs, and institutions. This is plausible only if we assume that man was made for the machine, not the machine for man. Technology only gives us new means to pursue ends: it is up to us to decide what we will do with it. If anything, technological progress makes cultural conservatism more necessary than ever. We need to hold on to our old standards and purposes, lest we be lured (as so many have been) into making idols of our machines.

Conservatism is not (or need not be) merely a resistance to change in general, but a positive attachment to some particular way of life and the community that embodies it. Because communities, traditions, and nations do exist and are important, conservatism is not merely temperamental and insubstantial. Shared traditions are essential for social cohesion, and therefore a primary and permanent good. Any conception of "progress" that undermines social cohesion is flawed -- it is not progressive at all, but destructive.

It is this attachment to particular traditions that allows us to maintain the thread of continuity through the changefulness of the world. The most politically relevant attachment is patriotism, loyalty to one's country: in the modern Western context, this means loyalty to one's nation-state. America has changed amazingly (not always for the better) since we became an independent nation, but we are still the same country we were in 1776, and if we are willing, we shall still be the same country in 2776.

© 1999 by Karl Jahn

Nice Article

btw what was d article all about?
Re: Tradition And Progress by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 12, 2014
I love this article but have no time to read it all now. I will come back to it later. smiley
Re: Tradition And Progress by macof(m): 8:28am On Jul 12, 2014
date1816: What Great People said about the Prophet Muhammad PBUH?
Some of the famous, contemporary personalities who read the biography of the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, could not help but admit that he was a master with excellent manners and an honorable character, and the following are some of their sayings:
A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History’ said: "My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level.”
“The world is in dire need of a man with the mind of Muhammad; religious people in the Middle Ages, due to their ignorance and prejudice, had pictured him in a very dark way as they used to consider him the enemy of Christianity. But after looking into the story of this man I found it to be an amazing and a miraculous one, and I came to the conclusion that he was never an enemy of Christianity, and must be called instead the savior of humanity. In my opinion, if he was to be given control over the world today, he would solve our problems and secure the peace and happiness which the world is longing for.”
“It is impossible for anyone who studies the personality of the great Prophet of the Arabs, and come to know how this prophet he used to live, and how he taught the people, but to feel respect towards this honorable prophet; one of the great messengers whom Allaah sent”
"If greatness of purpose, smallness of means, and astonishing results are the three criteria of a human genius, who could dare compare any great man in history with Muhammad? The most famous men created arms, laws, and empires only. They founded, if anything at all, no more than material powers which often crumbled away before their eyes. This man moved not only armies, legislations, empires, peoples, dynasties, but millions of men in one-third of the then inhabited world; and more than that, he moved the altars, the gods, the religions, the ideas, the beliefs and the souls. Philosopher, Orator, Apostle, Legislator, Conqueror of Ideas, Restorer of Rational beliefs... The founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire -- that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?”
“ Judged by the smallness of the means at his disposal, and the extent and permanence of the work that he accomplished, no name in world's history shines with a more specious luster than that of the Prophet of Makkah. To the impulse, which he gave, numberless dynasties have owed their existence, fair cities and stately palaces and temples have arisen, and wide provinces became obedient to the Faith. And beyond all this, his words have governed the belief of generations, been accepted as their rule of life, and their certain guide to the world to come. At a thousand shrines the voices of the faithful invoke blessings on him, whom they esteem the very Prophet of God, the seal of the Apostles… Judged by the standards to human renown, the glory of what mortal can compare with his?”
“Muhammad was a shining example to his people. His character was pure and stainless. His house, his dress, his food - they were characterized by a rare simplicity. So unpretentious was he that he would receive from his companions no special mark of reverence, nor would he accept any service from his slave which he could do for himself. He was accessible to all and at all times. He visited the sick and was full of sympathy for all. Unlimited was his benevolence and generosity as also was his anxious care for the welfare of the community.”
Th e British philosopher, Thomas Carlyle, who won the Nobel Prize for his book ‘The Heroes’ wrote:
“It is a great shame for any one to listen to the accusation that Islaam is a lie and that Muhammad was a fabricator and a deceiver. We saw that he remained steadfast upon his principles, with firm determination; kind and generous, compassionate, pious, virtuous, with real manhood, hardworking and sincere. Besides all these qualities, he was lenient with others, tolerant, kind, cheerful and praiseworthy and perhaps he would joke and tease his companions. He was just, truthful, smart, pure, magnanimous and present-minded; his face was radiant as if he had lights within him to illuminate the darkest of nights; he was a great man by nature who was not educated in a school nor nurtured by a teacher as he was not in need of any of this.”
“Us, Europeans, with all our concepts could not reach what Muhammad has reached, and no one will be able to precede him. I have looked in the history of humanity for an example and found that it was Muhammad, as the truth must be revealed. Indeed, Muhammad succeeded to subdue the entire world to monotheism”.

1.First of all where's the proof of all this?

2. Wat rational ideas did Mohammed restore?
3. Where did Mohammed show generosity and sympathy or visit the sick?
4. What parts of the world has Mohammed subdued to monotheism?? Eastern region (China, Korea) or the West?? Even below the Sahara Africa?

This is all just plain hype and lies for Mohammed
Re: Tradition And Progress by BUSHHUNTER: 8:40am On Jul 12, 2014
date1816: What Great People said about the Prophet Muhammad PBUH?

Clearly Noted• God Bless u Bro
Re: Tradition And Progress by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 12, 2014

My favourite part of the article.

1 Like

Re: Tradition And Progress by angela98(f): 9:58am On Jul 12, 2014
Wow this trend is very interesting cheesy I am smiling in urobho.

1 Like

Re: Tradition And Progress by date1816: 10:01am On Jul 12, 2014
[quote author=macof]

1.First of all where's the proof of all this?

2. Wat rational ideas did Mohammed restore?
3. Where did Mohammed show generosity and sympathy or visit the sick?
4. What parts of the world has Mohammed subdued to monotheism?? Eastern region (China, Korea) or the West?? Even below the Sahara Africa?

This is all just plain hype and lies for Mohammed[/quote

you are entitled to your opinion. Btw google is your friend.
Re: Tradition And Progress by zurine(f): 10:32am On Jul 12, 2014
interesting
Re: Tradition And Progress by youngice(m): 10:40am On Jul 12, 2014
HNosegbe:

the only part u read lipsrsealed
Re: Tradition And Progress by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 12, 2014
Did some one write this epistle?or izzit copy and paste?

Re: Tradition And Progress by myspnigeria: 11:19am On Jul 12, 2014
Nice writeup..... I love it
Re: Tradition And Progress by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 12, 2014
kingston277: It is futile and pointless simply to try to preserve the status quo, which is always doomed, sooner or later, to go the way of all mortal things. Progress is necessary for our very survival: history shows that a relatively static society is doomed to be overrun by more innovative competitors. Innovations strengthen the established order by adapting it to changing circumstances.

© 1999 by Karl Jahn

The quoted part above is the part that captured my attention the most. The moment we ignore progress from a perspective of moving humanity forward and brazing for the future the moment we start dying away gradually. That means the past or tradition we are so much ingrained in will gradually be useless to the time.

There are a lot of things I disagree with in the write-up. I think the writer is from the age past and have no idea of the workings of the modern world that much would be required as necessity to get beyond earth we are so much imprisoned to. The opinion is so much on the morality of society than the progress based on acquisition and looking to the future.

There is lot missing in this whole idea the writer presented.

Thank you.
Re: Tradition And Progress by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 12, 2014
HNosegbe:

Lol... The same part the writer makes blatant error based on his view using it to see the others on the same foot!
Re: Tradition And Progress by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 12, 2014
carefreewannabe: I love this article but have no time to read it all now. I will come back to it later. smiley
Hahaha... That would be a 2 minutes read for anybody. You are very hesitant in your approach to read something you think is long to read. Somebody like you would enjoy adult movies a lot. cheesy
Re: Tradition And Progress by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2014
naijajuiceblog: [size=18pt]Ban On Hijab: Share Your Views About
This Ban As Court Fixes September 26
For Judgment[/size] http://9jajuice..nl/2014/07/ban-on-hijab-share-your-views-about.html?m=1
If that is true. I support the ban! It is not part of our culture anyway.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Many Nigerian Girls in nigeria have sugar daddy(aristo) / Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies / Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.