Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? (16482 Views)

How Can Dogs Be Dewormed Without Using Drugs / How Protective Can Dogs Be? / Raw Meat Or Cooked Meat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by etunoman76(m): 1:27am On Jul 04, 2014
This topic is one of the biggest debates in the dog world today. Even though your opinion regarding this subject matter may point in one direction, there are strong arguments on both sides.

Raw dog food diets usually include a combination of uncooked meat from animals, fish, or poultry commonly used for food. These ingredients usually include flesh (muscle), internal organs, blended body parts, bones and uncooked eggs.

Supporters of raw feeding believe that the natural diet of raw meat, bones and organ meats is nutritionally superior to cooked meat and commercial pet food. They argue that a careful plan of a raw diet gives the animal numerous health benefits, including a healthier coat and cleaner teeth and elimination of bad breath.

They also reiterated the fact that dogs have been domesticated for about 15,000 years and up until the 1930s, they were never fed “kibble” or “canned” brands from a store.

Dog owners who support feeding raw food to their pets believe that it’s much more nutritious than processed commercial pet food. These supporters are opposed to commercial pet food because they believe it’s not good for their dog’s overall health.

Many of these supporters claim that when they feed their dogs raw food, they can start to see the benefits such as shinier coat, healthier skin, cleaner teeth, smaller stools, an overall increase in size, and better conformation.

On the other hand, many dog owners who support feeding cooked food to their pets believe that even though raw food has benefits, the risk of illness caused by the handling and feeding of raw food outweighs those benefits. Basically, they believe it’s not worth the risk to feed raw food to their dogs.

They say that raw meat can be contaminated with a variety of pathogens that can harm both animal and human. Most meats used in commercial raw diets may not be handled properly, thus they may acquire bacterial contamination from the hide, feathers, slaughter, evisceration, or processing and packing. Salmonella spp and E. coli are of particular concern.

Feeding raw bony meat to dogs can cause possible gastro intestinal injury if the bones splinter. According to some nutritionists, raw diets can contain bones that have been implicated in hazards to the pets that eat them, including tooth fracture, injury and perforation of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, or colon.

On the other hand, some disadvantages of feeding cooked food are:

Animal protein is made up of long chain amino acids. When a protein is cooked, the long chain amino acids which make up the protein are broken into short chain amino acids, and at this point, they become much more difficult for the carnivore stomach to digest, and their liver to metabolise into energy.

Protein amino acids in their raw form are far superior in quality and function than processed short chain amino acids.

Digestive enzymes are also essential for the conversion of protein to energy, and these digestive enzymes are present in food in its raw form.

They are destroyed in the presence of high heat or various other forms of processing. When digestive enzymes are destroyed, the body is called upon to find them in various other organs, particularly the liver, until enough enzymes are rallied to digest the food in the stomach and turn it into energy. This puts constant strain on the liver.

In addition, up to 50 per cent of vitamins and minerals are destroyed during the cooking process. Enzymes, which are used to facilitate and regulate chemical reactions in the dog’s body, are destroyed, and fats can become toxic when they’re cooked at high temperatures.

If you do decide to feed your dog raw meat, make sure it’s human grade. Cleaning hands, utensils and work surfaces is essential. Bacterial growth can be kept to a minimum by utilising fresh or frozen meats, and maintaining their chilled temperature during processing.

Excess food must be refrigerated or frozen for future use. Never leave raw meat outside in the heat for a long period of time because the meat will spoil and will make your dog very sick.

In addition to this, if you decide to feed your dog raw meat, you may need to de-worm more frequently than necessary because raw food may contain eggs of worms and other parasites. If the food was cooked, the heat would have denatured the eggs of these parasites.

In my own opinion, the best thing for dog owners to do is to feed their pet what they think is best for them, whether it be raw food, cooked food, or a combination of both. However, please ensure that you keep a close eye on your dog and feed it what it prefers to eat.

Keep in mind that not all dogs can tolerate raw foods. If your dog cannot fit into the raw food category, stick with cooked foods only.

http://www.punchng.com/health/healthwise/should-dogs-be-fed-raw-or-cooked-food/

6 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by PapaNnamdi: 1:44am On Jul 04, 2014
d name of my dog is bruno,
i feed it wit okpa,
sometimes okpa with bread and one chilled pure water, it waggles its tail and enjoys d meal, i lov my bruno.

43 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by jeff1607(m): 12:51pm On Jul 07, 2014
PapaNnamdi: d name of my dog is bruno,
i feed it wit okpa,
sometimes okpa with bread and one chilled pure water, it waggles its tail and enjoys d meal, i lov my bruno.
I tot bread is a no no for dogs n cud cause bloating

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 07, 2014
This is Nigeria where anything goes. Here, dog can be fed anything and its ok by the owner and d dog. I have seen lots of dogs being fed fufu and soup and they seem to enjoy it with 'passion.'

Feeding your dog with cooked food to me, I guess its d best option. Reason: if there is no money at a given moment to purchase those dog foods and stuffs, you can easily spare a little off your food for the dog and it won't shake you.

16 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by jeff1607(m): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
himkers: This is Nigeria where anything goes. Here, dog can be fed anything and its ok by the owner and d dog. I have seen lots of dogs being fed fufu and soup and they seem to enjoy it with 'passion.'

Feeding your dog with cooked food to me, I guess its d best option. Reason: if there is no money at a given moment to purchase those dog foods and stuffs, you can easily spare a little off your food for the dog and it won't shake you.
Mine loves ogbono n funfun like kilo de

7 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 08, 2014
I almost got in2 a fight with a guy at d butcher's shop this evening, he came to buy meat for his dog n he told me the dog likes raw meat like that n I was like "r u ok"? U actually gv ur dog raw meat, don't you knw it's not healthy." the guy was like shey ure a vet ni? Besides my dog likes it n it's non of your business. The thing shook me for body no be small but like he said its non of my business I just pity d dog, hope he deworms him regularly sha.

5 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 08, 2014
jeff1607:
I tot bread is a no no for dogs n cud cause bloating
My dog likes bread, bread soaked in milk or tea. She'll finish it in seconds.

4 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Mckandre(m): 9:48pm On Jul 09, 2014
Amusaopeyemi: I almost got in2 a fight with a guy at d butcher's shop this evening, he came to buy meat for his dog n he told me the dog likes raw meat like that n I was like "r u ok"? U actually gv ur dog raw meat, don't you knw it's not healthy." the guy was like shey ure a vet ni? Besides my dog likes it n it's non of your business. The thing shook me for body no be small but like he said its non of my business I just pity d dog, hope he deworms him regularly sha.
lol, the guy for call you amebo. well, but no mind m, na him go surfer pass when he contracts Salmonella from his dog saliva when he licks him. obviously the disease has no effect on the pet but those that handles the stool and the rest.

2 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by jeff1607(m): 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2014
Can dogs b given eggs along wit d shells?

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by oluomoadebayo: 3:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
jeff1607: Can dogs b given eggs along wit d shells?
Yes I do give my dogs eggs 2 times per week.

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Apitch(m): 4:06pm On Jul 10, 2014
I've never owned a dog but I'm planning on getting one soon but with what I've read, I will feed raw, it's benefits out weighs the risk and giving human disease, I doubt it(I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all but it's minimal) cos raw meat helps clean their teeth unlike canned food
My turkey
Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Agent8706(m): 7:11pm On Jul 12, 2014
Cooked food, since it entices more. But from constant observation I have come to discover that food with a normal amount of spice for humans especially curry and thyme can cause running stomachs for them, my personal observation though

4 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by nanizle(m): 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2014
Seun, what do you think?

3 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by jnrbayano(m): 7:17pm On Jul 12, 2014
My belief is when a dog keeps feeding on raw meat, the dog starts to consider being a wolf over remaining a dog.

I don't have a dog undecided

6 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by kingzjay(m): 7:17pm On Jul 12, 2014
Cooked meat delivers more energy than raw meat. For years, scientists have thought cooked foods are easier to digest, and thus, are more nutritious than non-cooked eats.

Anybody knows where Mikel Obi lives? I need to send my dog to deal with him PERSONALLY!

8 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Denn(m): 7:20pm On Jul 12, 2014
There is nothing wrong in feeding raw.

Ensure the flesh is healthy and insist on proper storage.

Though it seems more expensive.

I feed my dog noodles mix and alternate with kibble.

Dog gets a raw meat or fish treat on weekends and loves it.

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by poiZon: 7:21pm On Jul 12, 2014
chai chai chai, diaris godooo. that my dog o, they stole it without even notification. n worst of em all na fresh shit de person use entice am. its well.

7 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Sijo01(f): 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2014
Cooked food o.
Our dogs both sold, dead and alive were/are been/being feed with cooked food....... we serve them from the same pot we serve ours.
Did not read the long post thoughsad
Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by bunmioguns(m): 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2014
Am really not happy today because of one incident that just happened cry

Hello Nairalander, just make me happy by liking this post

24 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Debroslink: 7:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
My 2 dogs: Pedro and Paris. I love them so much. I love d their wicked greetings to strangers who come around.
That Saïd, I believe cooked meal is better because it reduces the incidence of too much worms in dogs.
My dogs love anything involving draw soup with any carbohydrates. I also give them bread and milk which they love so much.
But d baba meal Is still cooked fish and meat with bones

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by manny4life(m): 7:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
Feed your dog raw food and one day, may be just one day, it will decide to test on you. Dogs should be fed with cooked food

6 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by adekayo1234(m): 7:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
which one be raw or cooked food for ordinary dog? Give the damn thing cow poop and watch it grow fat.

Contact me for the formula

5 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
poiZon: chai chai chai, diaris godooo. that my dog o, they stole it without even notification. n worst of em all na fresh shit de person use entice am. its well.
lol. Very funny

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:25pm On Jul 12, 2014
From experience, only security dogs like those used by the Police for tracking down tough criminals should be fed raw meats while pet dogs that live with you in the house should be fed cooked meat.

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
OkikiOluwa1: From experience, only security dogs like those used by the Police for tracking down tough criminals should be fed raw meats while pet dogs that live with you in the house should be fed cooked meat.
very correct. A dog fed with raw meat can bite somebdy anytime wen angry/hungry.

3 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by bitterpenis(m): 7:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
Amusaopeyemi:
My dog likes bread, bread soaked in milk or tea. She'll finish it in seconds.
Try breast feeding the dog, I'm sure she will love it too

2 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by adekayo1234(m): 7:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
bunmioguns: Am really not happy today because of one incident that just happened cry

Hello Nairalander, just make me happy by liking this post
I wish I could share some of the "likes" I had today with u but it's not possible..... please make yourself happy and let go of any worry.

Be Happy

5 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Mintayo(m): 7:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
Lol. Tell that to a neighbour of mine. Their dog eats anything,raw o,cooked o,boil oo,anything, even wood and slipperscheesysmiley. No wonder the dog will not bark on siting a stranger.
#i didnt read the Op!

1 Like

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Mintayo(m): 7:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
urhoboman: very correct. A dog fed with raw meat can bite somebdy anytime wen angry/hungry.
:/
Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by bokunrawo(m): 7:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
My german sheapard eats live goat,can u beat that

3 Likes

Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by blogexpert12(m): 7:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
mine is served wif cooked meal

get latest news/info @ www.supergists.com
Re: Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
if we didnt domesticate n feed da canines wit processed foods,i suppose dogs gonna 'cook their foods',hehe...
Well both suits them,especially da ggggrrRAW stuff

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Legend Of sir Aslan Of The Jin Ryeo Family / Quick Sale, Male Caucasian Shepherd 5 Months Old For 35k / Is It Advisable To Cross A GSD With A Nigerian Local Dog Or Basenji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.