Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court (58505 Views)

Can I Become A Lecturer With A 2.2 In First Degree With My MSC / First Degree And Masters Opportunity In The Usa- No Sat I, Sat Ii, Toefl Or Gre / Is Futy"s 2008/2009 Admission List into first degree programs out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
Excelboi: OK, verified . Apart from Auchi, which poly rank top ten best institution in Nigeria?
You goofed already just chill I beg.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Atimchia(m): 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
It's quite unfortunate that my course of study is not offered in the polytecnics. I would have gladly called for a Nairaland moderated intellectual debate on a particular topic in my course of study between any volunteered poly graduate and I. From there most pple would have come to appreciate the dept and richness of university education. The fact that one 'connected' university undergraduate that got admission in the university through his connection took his assignment to an 'artisan' in the poly to help him does not in anyway mean poly 'artisan' graduates are better than university graduates. Those that are clamouring for this 'unequal equality' know within themselves that they are talking about unattainable feat.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Badmushazan: 6:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
Haryohdeji: . 4get about dat equality of the certificate....Degree will forever be rated above HND....because dia foundation standard are different.... And the courses offered are not all the same with university course... If not for the inconstitent in 9ja educatn.... Normal poly student er 2 spend 2yrs for dia course.... You can't tell me dat someone dat read Animal science in UI (6yrs course) shud b given d same certificate with one dat spent 3yrs in poly reading dsame course.
out of all courses u pick animal science.. No wonder ur idea is that of animals ...#loo

3 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Microtee(m): 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
bharyur2103:

I'm sorry to say,but this is the height of intellectua mastur.ba.tion!How many university graduates have you actually competed against?..I'm not saying they are, or they are not better than you,but this statement doesn't actually seem like one an intelligent person would make..
:-D:-D
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by melvin0004(m): 6:39pm On Jul 06, 2014
Badmushazan: polytechnic school of average nigerian that value education while university school of prominent nigerian that want to oppress the poor whom manage to have polytechnic education. However going to university does not determined your ability/ success.........no wonder a computer science graduate of ABU zaria asking me if bank security door allow customer holding a pen to enter or not ?..... Ewa wo Aiye university graduate ni ode
lol dat one no be sch matter, just exposure.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Neatboy(m): 6:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
Injustice does not only mean treating equal people unequally, it also means treating unequal people equally. No doubt, we have good heads in polytechnics. But, it's quite clear that polytechnics barely employ professor which is the highest academic qualification, and the entrance score is very low. This has made alot of people view it as second to degree. If you've also read polytechnics handouts or text books and university's, you won't hesitate to decipher that polytechnic still has long way. Although, some of their lecturers and students are exceptional, after all, even in sciences we have odds or exceptional cases. Government also has alot of role to play by equalizing HND and DEGREE in its ministries. The truth is just that; some university graduates ought to be in polytechnic while some polytechnic graduates ought to be in university. Maybe, it's fate, or maybe, it's because our society is not ideal. :PInjustice does not only mean treating equal people unequally, it also means treating unequal people equally. No doubt, we have good heads in polytechnics. But, it's quite clear that polytechnics barely employ professor which is the highest academic qualification, and the entrance score is very low. This has made alot of people view it as second to degree. If you've also read polytechnics handouts or text books and university's, you won't hesitate to decipher that polytechnic still has long way. Although, some of their lecturers and students are exceptional, after all, even in sciences we have odds or exceptional cases. Government also has alot of role to play by equalizing HND and DEGREE in its ministries. The truth is just that; some university graduates ought to be in polytechnic while some polytechnic graduates ought to be in university. Maybe, it's fate, or maybe, it's because our society is not ideal.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Ninapha(f): 6:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
michaeltotti: When i hustle nd gt 200 to study in uni and a gy score 150 to study in poly.and u want us to be equal?

Na lie,orelse d cutoff mark wl b equal alsotongue

in dat case, graduates of Unilag, UNN etc shd earn more and even be superiors in offices to graduates from some fed. University with same qualification and grades.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by tochilastborn(m): 6:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
Handcuff: What about the standard... Then they will have to stop accepting remnants and candidates with abysmally Low scores into the polytechnics .
ABYSMALLY LOW SCORES??does ur varsities have enough spaces for the populace?check this year's utme scoreline
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Microtee(m): 6:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
Badmushazan: out of all courses u pick animal science.. No wonder ur idea is that of animals ...#loo
Boss...Is animal science not a course?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Jesusculture: 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
Polytechnics are more practical based, its modules are also designed to be pragmatic. Conversely, universities are more researched focus, theoretical and more academic. Its obvious the two institutions can never be accorded same recognition for obvious reasons.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by sanandreas(m): 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
Life is not all about degree. I have read all the post. All I could see was envy and jealousy. Nobody stops you from having a university Education. If u feel HND is not respected as B.sc why not forfeit HND instead.Evestar was boasting that polytechnic graduates are better than university graduates. I smiled. Evestar appreciate a university Education.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by obinoral1179(m): 6:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
chigo93: with dt 200 u got,a university student uses the same textbook as a polytechnic student,or do think the professors make use of textbooks from heaven?Nigerians are just too myopic,they believe too much in qualifications,I have seen a final year engineering student in a university who doesn't understand properly the dynamics of calculus! Smiles
i hate hearing word like i have seen, i have heard. Some brilliant student are in the poly and same in university. We should argue constructively not saying u saw one united graduate that could not read or write. 9 corps members wrote an aptitude and 5 were pick initially and among the 5 we have 2 poly graduates and 3 uni graduates,
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Dygeasy(m): 7:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
Acidosis:

HND is 3years

So how do you apply for HND without the foundation (2yrs OND) and 1year I.T?

Animal Science is 6years in U.I?

We are not talking about those who apply via Interim/Pre-degree.

Limit the false hood. Animal Science is a 3-5year course - all over the world.
HND is 2 years.

It's 3 years if it's part-time and an HND part-time student will not go for NYSC.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Rosso: 7:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
Is dis aw u wanna continue arguin on dis issue, while u all knw poly is jst a second option after nt meetin d 200 score, so I dnt fink u guyz gt dis fact....u shld even b hppy dat ure in an instituion.....rep fuo
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 06, 2014
Its a shame that most people do not know d difference between polytechnic and universities

Well we live in a country where merit is becoming a thing of d past,an economy where there is no innovation,and yet people dare talk about professors

We only have two renouned professors from nigeria and these are

prof Gabriel oyibo and Prof philip Emeagwali these are people with foreign accolades,who have written thier names on the sands of time.

I think its high time we give opportunities based on what stuff a person is made off,to me if you are in Nigeria it doesn't matter which u have,what has come to matter is who you know.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Busuyib(f): 7:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Jamb cutoff mark can never be used to judge but employer of labour should engage both degree holder in a battle of intellect.

At least, we have people that used expo to score 260 in jamb and entered University with runse.
And some brilliant student with 240 in jamb settled for Polytechnic because they don't have money for University runse i.e they got admitted to poly easily.

#Enough said.

To me, degree doesn't really matter if you have connection. Three of my cousin that studied in YABATECH are working in a big company while some University graduate are busy roaming the street.
tru talk. Wa gba yii.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Joshuadon: 7:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
Excelboi: What did you smoke this early morning? Auchi n Unilag? For where? Auchi is a good school, that I know of but don't compare it with dos schools you mentioned. And pls can I know who graded Auchi poly second best tertiary institution in Nigeria? Evidence or keep quiet.

lwkmd
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by leppyj(m): 7:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
bharyur2103: I have heard polytechnic students posit they have more practical knowledge than their university counterparts, but does that make them any better? From the little I have learnt,the higher you move in the organisational hierarchy,the less important technical skills become and the more conceptual and decision-making skills are demanded which simply means your supposed "practical knowledge" is far from being the most important factor to recruiters.I think the best way to elevate polytechnics to the level of universities is to scrap all polytechnics and make all of them universities.This will ensure we have similarities in inputs which should subsequently make their outputs similar as well.If we are to talk of people studying social science and management courses,I don't think there should be any difference between those in universities and polytechnics.It all depends on the level of seriousness although I think we have more of those serious students in the universities.For people in engineering,I'm sorry but I don't think you guys go through similar systems.I don't know of other universities,but I have heard engineering students who happened to have been to polytechnics before their admissions into OAU complain about the huge difference between the two.I lived with one of them when I was in part 1 and he told me, throughout his stay in the Polytechnic of Ede,he never scored anything below 90% in mathematics courses.This same guy was so relieved and happy when he scored 51% in MTH 201 in his very first session on OAU campus.Infact,I know 2 of his friends who,like him,graduated with a distinction from the same polytechnic who are currently barely on a 2:1...If you think all these are blantant lies,pls,obtain a direct entry form and go have a taste too...

Faculty of science (White house) tinz. That faculty no b shere shere o. Its supposed to b called faculty of sadists.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by walezy14(m): 7:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
ITbomb: Forgive my ignorance but do we have Professors in Polytechnics?
May i use this medium to correct you as per professorial title in the universities. Professor is design to be the highest promotion rank in the university, and nothing special. Is just like any other titles such as permanent sec, director general, major general e.t.c In polytechnic, the highest title is chief lecturer, an equivalent of associate professor.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by dumodust(m): 7:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
this is just a sign of the coming chaos in the country- johesu versus nma, polytechnics versus universities etc people trying hard not to be what they were set out to do, very actively promoted by poorly trianed mediocres more interested in titles. very soon it will permeate the judiciary, and one day even the uneducated vocational/technical guy eg my roadside mechanic, will wonder what advantage those with education have over them... stupid country...lol

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by yemitexcel(m): 7:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
johnwizey: Wa gbayii.......imagine, those universities student feel they are more qualified than us, but no, they ain't anywhere near us. We are better off academically, its just the way the FG treats the polythecnics that made the gap so obvious. A 300L student can't even define Kirchoff's law talkless of solving the equations.
Make them bridge the gap o cos we no go gree
Don't mind them jawe is nt dia fault because even poly rector is universities graduate also d lecturer there is frm universities nd don't forget dat prof in universities wil nt send his or her children to polytechnics nd rectors of poly wil nt send his or her children to poly also they prefer sending dia children to universities while prof in universities wil not send dia children to poly nd even Pastor David Oyedepo is a polytechnics products and he doesn't hav polytechnics skul bt he av universities,so don't blame any body jus blame our leaders
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by coretechng1(m): 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
These are two different certicates and its a waste of time and resources trying to equate what is not equal. In my own opinion what should be done is to close the wide gap between the two. Like the British system where u spend a year to get degree unlike Nigeria where it may take an upwards of 3years to get a degree. They should just reduce the number of years it takes to get a degree .Period!!!
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by adanny01(m): 7:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
Many commentators here do not know the real reason the case was taken to court or the arguments made.

All this argument has to do with the nigerian Civil service rules which places a university cert holder over a poly cert holder. This only manifest in a certain stage during the service but not at the employment stage. Example; in my state civil service that i know of, Uni graduates and poly graduates are all employed at salary grade level 8. Every other promotion and steps attainment is the same.

The 1st difference starts only when both clash for a particular office or appointment where the Uni graduate will be considered higher by merit of qualification certificate. Secondly, poly graduates dont get promoted to level 16 (Director) without additional qualification interms of PGD or master degree or even a 1st degree. That is a limit which even i as a uni graduate feel its uncalled for.

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by tenry(m): 7:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
I have been to both university and polytechnic. put differently, I have both HND and Bsc certificates. Please dnt compare the two. If you attend a uni like UI, you won't think of comparing uni wit Iree poly where I had my HND. Brilliant professors, robust discussion in the class unlike poly where most people who thought me were poly graduates wit little or no exposure. Some of them didn't even proceed. Even when you have PHd grade in your Msc, your Hnd certificate will deny u dat grace to proceed with your Phd. Howvwer, what you become after becoming what you want to become that matters regardless of your degree.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Okiemuteisaac(m): 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
the universities syllabus is different from polytechnics syllabus which means their product we be different. Even their grading pattern is different 3.50 is distinction in polytechnic while it is second class in university, university first is 4.50 above. University means universerlity which mean a place where you be will equip with everything you need to survive in life unlike polytechnic where you learn few techniques. Diploma certificate is different from B.sc
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 06, 2014
Ishilove:
Your mouth na real poison cheesy cheesy

Hehehe grin

Na hin naw.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by An0nimus: 7:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
adanny01: Many commentators here do not know the real reason the case was taken to court or the arguments made.

All this argument has to do with the nigerian Civil service rules which places a university cert holder over a poly cert holder. This only manifest in a certain stage during the service but not at the employment stage. Example; in my state civil service that i know of, Uni graduates and poly graduates are all employed at salary grade level 8. Every other promotion and steps attainment is the same.

The 1st difference starts only when both clash for a particular office or appointment where the Uni graduate will be considered higher by merit of qualification certificate. Secondly, poly graduates dont get promoted to level 16 (Director) without additional qualification interms of PGD or master degree or even a 1st degree. That is a limit which even i as a uni graduate feel its uncalled for.

ALL who have commented on this thread so far have not done so with regards to what the court case is about. Its just "Polys are better than Unis". I'm enjoying the debate anyway cheesy
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by mcpat(m): 7:42pm On Jul 06, 2014
If e too pain una for jeje enter university... Using engineering as a case study, which lecturer would u remember from a polytechnic that has made wave, but u will surely remember prof. Mowete of unilag and prof. Ibahdodhe of uniben who won the NLNG prize for science.. In economics and other fields professors and senior lecturers from nigerian universities have impacted more, because sey dem dan join PCE with UME now una wan they follow us talk now.. I think the recruitment method is fair enough
B.ENG,B.SC = MANAGERIAL POSITIONS
HND = ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS
lets leave it that way, if e too pain u.. Send ur child to a uni
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by redsun(m): 7:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
It is not about certificates and ogbongbo oyinbo words,but about fundamental common sense that makes scholars authoritatively product.Most africans just copy and paste like schooled chimps and that explains why they need the chinese to build common houses even the universities chucking out "civil engineers" enmass,year in year out.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Samcathe: 7:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
Good news
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by mcpat(m): 7:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
Why didnt u guys complain when cut off for poly was way lower than that of uni?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by arokombah(m): 7:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
2sExy1: I was watching AIT 7PM news a few minutes ago and it was announced that the HND/BSc dichotomy is now a case of judicial battle.

I wonder what will come out of this.

Did anyone read the news?
Honestly,uni is nt d same as poly.Nt becos I'm a uni graduate but I sincerely took time to go through both institutions' curricula & discovered dat those of d uni are far higher than d poly.Infact,some my d courses we had in my 2nd yr as introductory are taken in HND 2.Truly,they're

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Study In Ghana - Admission Is Opened This January: / The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It. / The Sociologist And Anthropologist Thread(Official)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.