Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France (18617 Views)

Nigeria 2 : 1 England : FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup (FULL TIME) / Japan Vs Nigeria (2 - 0): Int'l Women Friendly On Sunday September 22 2013 / Nigeria (2) Vs Tunisia (2) on Sunday 6th September (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by okechukwu3: 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
You are on point,
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Sunshinelady(f): 7:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
Matthewbriggs: I may not be a sports fanatic, or follow closely the exploits of the likes of messi and rolnaldo or understand the schematics of the UEFA champions league or FIFA world cup. But one thing I know is ... I am big fan of the super eagles. I try my best not miss their matches. Her encounter with France was of no exception...4days ago I sat glued to a Tv set for more that 90 minutes hoping and praying we would win that game. But alas we were beating 2-0 ... 2 freaking zero... till today those goals keep replaying in my head. *arrggghhh*. I had two option, to either feel bad for our failure or to see this as one of my numerous learning opportunities and instead focus on deriving insight and inspiration from this depressing encounter. Alas I chose the latter. Below are really key lessons I relearned from that encounter .

In the first half we played strong, we shook their defense, we had more ball possession, nearly 80% of people I communicated with during the early phase of the match were positive we would win... but alas with several minute into the second half and few minutes to go, our hopes of moving to the quarter finals were dashed with 2 goals. What surprised me was not the two goals we conceded but France's strategy... It occurred to me that they had been conserving their energy for the latter part of the match, they also tricked us to underestimate them by not coming on strong. At the same time building a very strong defense, so even though we had more ball possession we couldn't score. Now with few minutes to go they started playing with more energy and vigor, their performance and speed increased.

To my surprise France started playing world class football, there passes became more sharper, at this juncture our players were already tired plus they were taken unawares by the spike in France performance level given that the French had physiologically made them to underestimate them. I believe France adopted this strategy after watching our march with Argentina paying more attention to how fast we equalized. They knew that they stood a higher chance to score a goal at the tail end of the march leaving the super eagles with no time to equalize after having noticed that we always wear out during the ending period of a match.

The strategy was simple Take them by surprise and never give them room to recover. On understanding this I smiled and gave a standing ovation for France.

The point is
To win you need a strategy not just any strategy a brilliant strategy : We all want to win in life, Win that juicy promotion, Win that scholarship opportunity, Win the heart of the love of our life. we all want to succeed in life ... but have you sat down to build a winning strategy. How you intend to get from where you are to where you want to be, have your understudied your opponents, the risks and challenges you would face on the way and have you built a contingency plan, or do you just live life by chance, moving towards any direction the wind of life pushes you to.

You want to excel, who do you need to know, what role are they going to play in your life at what time, what knowledge and insight do you require to get there, what steps are you making to reach for stars. What strategy are you building to outsmart your stumbling blocks.

As you build your strategy Stick this into your head, "Brain will always win over might" Just like France beat us using their brain over our might. So it is in life. Design a brilliant strategy that is focused on working smarter instead of harder... As a popular saying goes..." If na by muscle bricklayer for become billionaire " ... Never forget that Smart people never stay poor.

The most important battles are fought in the mind: When France gave us the first goal. I could feel how demoralized our players were, they lost their cool and their performance dwindled... It was evident the French didn't just score they damaged their psyche. It was evident our players lost hope... they didn't believe they could equalize. This was evident in the way Osaze carelessly left the ball to go offside which eventually lead to the second goal.

The point is there will be moments in life where your faith will be tested, Where you will be put through fire & brimstone. Where the light at the end of the tunnel instead of getting brighter will shut right in your face. You'll feel like there is no need to hope again. In moments like this, It is very crucial you never say never, hope again, never stop believing in miracles, never give up. Because the moment you stop believing, in that same moment you fail before even failing.

If possible reach for greatness let your set back inspire you and drive you. Let it make you better. The good thing with this approach is that even if you eventually fail ... You would've have failed with class. Something we did during our encounter with Argentina... We lost by one goal but we still applauded them because they fought to the end... the played good football throughout.

Finally it not about how you start but how you end. The end RESULTS is all that matter in life no one freaking cares about how hard you've toiled, how many attempts or shot you made to achieve success, How you started brilliantly all they care about is results, end results.

It is evident that 70% of the time we played good football, we had more possession ... we dribbled we were on point but at the end we lost and we lost woefully, we made terrible mistakes. That is all we remember.. the mistakes, Yobo's own goal, Mikels poor performance, Osaze's misjudgement, Enyema's poor judgment that lead to the goals.

The world celebrate heroes, they celebrate winners, They never give f*uk about failures... do whatever it takes that is just and within the confines of your conscience ... to freaking succeed.
In all be smart and NEVER SAY NEVER.

#Mathew Briggs
. So brilliant!! So so brilliant!

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Sunshinelady(f): 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
hannne: Matthew brings.....king of epistles.u always learn something from everything.dats a good quality.i love dat.will try learn dat

BTW,wats wrong with d guy putting long dots.na wah u o.hope u are not mentally deranged.attention seeking teenager.if i had a supernatural power,u wuld have received a slap whereever u are now for this display of stupidity.#nonsense nd alacrity#.d guy jus dey vex me
. Lol, lovin dis comment
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Sunshinelady(f): 8:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Okiki_Oluwa:
Please,
take your time to read & understand my epistle cos I also took my time to read & digest well your write up!

Your life lesson write up is good.
But use another thing as example.
Not Super Eagles,
not that match against France.
Any human that has the characteristics of the Super Eagles of 2014 World Cup can't even near success!
The team never had the hunger to win.
They didn't bother to score against France from the 1st Half. They still didn't know how they ll score until the French's late goals. Even if France didn't want to score against Nigeria, we won't win the match. It ll end in penalties.
Why?
Cos that Super Eagles team has alot of things working against it.
In life, you succeed by working hard or doing your assignments well. Whether you are raised from a poor background or from a rich home, you must pick your onus well.
Keshi brought incompetent players to the World Cup. They qualified by luck when they beat Bosnia Herzegovina by luck!
That team can't score goals. They lacked set piece takers, they can't shoot ball accurately, they can't even jump to head in a freekick or corner kick! They only relied on Enyeama. Do you remember how many corner kicks Ahmed Musa wasted? Didn't Musa or the entire team train how to score or defend set pieces?
Was there no other person that could at least try the corner kicks when Musa was playing rubbish?
All the inaccurate crosses that Emenike, Moses & Musa were floating to the French's box 18, why didn't we convert one or at least get close?
Do you even remember the last time Nigeria scored a goal from set pieces or head in a goal?
Need I say more.
Large portion of the mistakes & blame is for Steven Keshi. Cos he's the one that brought in talentless players like Mikel, Moses, Ameobi, Ruben Gabriel etc. He had 3 years to build that team but chose to bring amateurs to the World Cup. Do you know that over 40% of the team that won the 2013 AFCON didn't made it to the 2014 World Cup? Do you know that Nigeria's problem of gaining ball possession & not scoring goals but end up losing started at the 2013 FIFA Confedrations Cup?
Go & watch Nigeria Vs Tahiti & Nigeria Vs Spain's meeting at the 2013 Confedrations Cup. You ll see that Nigeria won Tahiti cos they were amateurs & lost to Spain cos Spain were professionals who took their chances. If you deal with a weak man in business, you ll v the advantage over the man & possible succeed better. But if you deal with professionals, you v to be steadfast & take your chances well.
Spain & France took their chances well. That's why they won Nigeria 3-0 & 2-0 respectively.
In football, if you miss your goals you don't win the match. The same in business. If you miss your opportunity, you pay dearly!
Coughs, enough said!
. Wonderful points
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by vislabraye(m): 8:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
Matthewbriggs: I may not be a sports fanatic, or follow closely the exploits of the likes of messi and rolnaldo or understand the schematics of the UEFA champions league or FIFA world cup. But one thing I know is ... I am big fan of the super eagles. I try my best not miss their matches. Her encounter with France was of no exception...4days ago I sat glued to a Tv set for more that 90 minutes hoping and praying we would win that game. But alas we were beating 2-0 ... 2 freaking zero... till today those goals keep replaying in my head. *arrggghhh*. I had two option, to either feel bad for our failure or to see this as one of my numerous learning opportunities and instead focus on deriving insight and inspiration from this depressing encounter. Alas I chose the latter. Below are really key lessons I relearned from that encounter .

In the first half we played strong, we shook their defense, we had more ball possession, nearly 80% of people I communicated with during the early phase of the match were positive we would win... but alas with several minute into the second half and few minutes to go, our hopes of moving to the quarter finals were dashed with 2 goals. What surprised me was not the two goals we conceded but France's strategy... It occurred to me that they had been conserving their energy for the latter part of the match, they also tricked us to underestimate them by not coming on strong. At the same time building a very strong defense, so even though we had more ball possession we couldn't score. Now with few minutes to go they started playing with more energy and vigor, their performance and speed increased.

To my surprise France started playing world class football, there passes became more sharper, at this juncture our players were already tired plus they were taken unawares by the spike in France performance level given that the French had physiologically made them to underestimate them. I believe France adopted this strategy after watching our march with Argentina paying more attention to how fast we equalized. They knew that they stood a higher chance to score a goal at the tail end of the march leaving the super eagles with no time to equalize after having noticed that we always wear out during the ending period of a match.

The strategy was simple Take them by surprise and never give them room to recover. On understanding this I smiled and gave a standing ovation for France.

The point is
To win you need a strategy not just any strategy a brilliant strategy : We all want to win in life, Win that juicy promotion, Win that scholarship opportunity, Win the heart of the love of our life. we all want to succeed in life ... but have you sat down to build a winning strategy. How you intend to get from where you are to where you want to be, have your understudied your opponents, the risks and challenges you would face on the way and have you built a contingency plan, or do you just live life by chance, moving towards any direction the wind of life pushes you to.

You want to excel, who do you need to know, what role are they going to play in your life at what time, what knowledge and insight do you require to get there, what steps are you making to reach for stars. What strategy are you building to outsmart your stumbling blocks.

As you build your strategy Stick this into your head, "Brain will always win over might" Just like France beat us using their brain over our might. So it is in life. Design a brilliant strategy that is focused on working smarter instead of harder... As a popular saying goes..." If na by muscle bricklayer for become billionaire " ... Never forget that Smart people never stay poor.

The most important battles are fought in the mind: When France gave us the first goal. I could feel how demoralized our players were, they lost their cool and their performance dwindled... It was evident the French didn't just score they damaged their psyche. It was evident our players lost hope... they didn't believe they could equalize. This was evident in the way Osaze carelessly left the ball to go offside which eventually lead to the second goal.

The point is there will be moments in life where your faith will be tested, Where you will be put through fire & brimstone. Where the light at the end of the tunnel instead of getting brighter will shut right in your face. You'll feel like there is no need to hope again. In moments like this, It is very crucial you never say never, hope again, never stop believing in miracles, never give up. Because the moment you stop believing, in that same moment you fail before even failing.

If possible reach for greatness let your set back inspire you and drive you. Let it make you better. The good thing with this approach is that even if you eventually fail ... You would've have failed with class. Something we did during our encounter with Argentina... We lost by one goal but we still applauded them because they fought to the end... the played good football throughout.

Finally it not about how you start but how you end. The end RESULTS is all that matter in life no one freaking cares about how hard you've toiled, how many attempts or shot you made to achieve success, How you started brilliantly all they care about is results, end results.

It is evident that 70% of the time we played good football, we had more possession ... we dribbled we were on point but at the end we lost and we lost woefully, we made terrible mistakes. That is all we remember.. the mistakes, Yobo's own goal, Mikels poor performance, Osaze's misjudgement, Enyema's poor judgment that lead to the goals.

The world celebrate heroes, they celebrate winners, They never give f*uk about failures... do whatever it takes that is just and within the confines of your conscience ... to freaking succeed.

#Mathew Briggs

What I learnt most in the match are:

1. Make good use of the opportunity you have. We had good opportunities but didn't convert it.

2. Your enemies are also vulnerable. France were not so outstanding. If they were, they wouldn't allow us to get into their half.

3. Take care of your loopholes. If you know that you have some lapses, fix them in time.

4. You need an element of luck to succeed. Nigeria scored a good goal which was disallowed. If that goal was allowed, the whole dynamics of the game would have changed.

2 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Vansnickers: 8:30pm On Jul 06, 2014
Great piece.

We're going to make it bro .
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by nijanigga: 8:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
TOPCRUISE: Lord remember France is a country of sin,dey started the French kiss, make them pay becos of dat in Jesus name
God love sinners too and ans their prayers.but remember nigeria is seat of corruption.

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by nijanigga: 8:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
Useless headline.Nigerians never learn their lessons and will nevet learn anything.Nigeria is doomed longtime ago.Nigeria is a circle of failures.if nigeria qualify for russia 2018 nigeria will not make it past round of 16.we said same thing in southafrica 2010.if nigeria is a failed state how do u expect her to do well in football?
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Kirinwa: 9:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
Op you forgot they didnt play fair.They were told to win at all cost and so they took out Onazi with that wicked tackle exposing the uselessness of Michelis Obilis.

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by nolio(m): 9:42pm On Jul 06, 2014
all you said was my thought for Brazil Chile match. I thought both teams were saving their best for the last when they will hit the game breaker.
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by krozay(m): 9:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
the super eagles don't have a good set piece taker

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by COvo(m): 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
OP you are wrong.No team plans to score late in a match,early goals are always what every team dream of.You saying that France waited till the 80th min.before scoring is untrue. And also,you can't use football to draw moral lessons,it's a game,tactics change all the time.From your lesson you're saying we should stick to a plan even if we come against another different opponent or challenge. In conclusion...FOOTBALL IS NOT SUPER STORY!

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by sulmeza(m): 11:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
bright007: @OP: Well i commend you for being patriotic but i beg to differ from your opinion.
There is no such strategy as conserving your energy till the last few minutes before you start playing well in football. What if the offside goal was allowed to stand?
After watching that match the only strategy i saw in the french team was to injure our irreplaceable players thereby giving them room to dominate
.This was very evident after Onazi was injured and stretched out.
It was then Mikel Obi's ineptitude became glaring and we finally gave in to pressure when Enyeama made a blatant error....

trust me,dia is,i noticd it as well...footbal is so much mre strategic than u tink,4gt dos litu details u see...same approach was adoptd against d flyin eagles..cnt recal d year bt its a world's u-20 tournament

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by brask(m): 11:23pm On Jul 06, 2014
Beehshorp: ow did dis poo mk fp nd ol ma threads did nat make fp

Don't know how Seun select threads for FP coz there are some better posts than all these comparison of soccer nd life. You r right jare.

Seun diaris God oh
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by favouryemmy: 11:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: Matthew briggs, u may not know football and its leagues but what you said proved you are a tactician.You are right

He's a bit right, but not completely. Their major strategy was to eliminate SE Engine room, the man Onazi. It was only after they eliminated him that they were able to play their game. I tell you if Onazi was there, SE would have scored the 1st goal even after the 'offside' goal.

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 06, 2014

nice 1 OP

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by LajaLaba: 11:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
@Nicepoker youngice Alexsmith20 tsolz84 y'all are more dumber than the guy u quoted grin watch it
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by jotey(m): 12:05am On Jul 07, 2014
chinex276: Mikel can't pass accurately.
He can't score.
He can't take a shot.
He cant control d ball.
He cant run fast.
He's jus dere as a figure-head.
He should beta learn how 2 BITE so dat we can know he played a game.
Mikel just dae field so that we go complete 11 players grin

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Desxter: 12:19am On Jul 07, 2014
Any match playd by SE ..ders nthin tu b learnt please .....// we hav possession yes _ can we atleast beat a Big team! _ can we atleast make a big team sweat blood .. A team wit Musa/Moses/Mikel/ambrose is no team atall!
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by mytym(m): 12:41am On Jul 07, 2014
You were right france had strategies nd dat is needed in life! buh Sir u forgot to mention dat their strategies got perfect within seconds of eliminating onazi...they didn't save it for the end bro, they've had it all along. Someone was just neutralizing it -Onazi

taking him out that way to me is called cheating, except of course its War situation where Anything, All is Fair!

Don't get me wrong, Strategies are needed in life, good one...buh u could hav said more on Nigeria's LACK of strategy and NOT on France displaying MORE of it coz they didn't. Another NLer has posit " where was france's STRATEGIEsss wen they lost to Germany!"

The point is

#Mathew Briggs

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Psalmpy(m): 1:20am On Jul 07, 2014
thats football for you.... It doesnt exceed learning.
Buh Super eagles played with strategies. And France as well

Name team/teams in d world cup dat neva played with strategy.
Even Iran played with a practical strategy...No doubt!
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Alexsmith20(m): 1:28am On Jul 07, 2014
LajaLaba: @Nicepoker youngice Alexsmith20 tsolz84 y'all are more dumber than the guy u quoted grin watch it
LajaLaba: @Nicepoker youngice Alexsmith20 tsolz84 y'all are more dumber than the guy u quoted grin watch it
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Alexsmith20(m): 1:28am On Jul 07, 2014
And you re the overall dumbest 4 quoting us. cool
And you re the overall dumbest 4 quoting us.

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Peacetalk1: 3:33am On Jul 07, 2014
I dropped my phone and applauded this write-up,the way you merged your illustratión of both facets.Wonderfull! #still applauding
Matthewbriggs: I may not be a sports fanatic, or follow
closely the exploits of the likes of messi and rolnaldo or understand the schematics of the UEFA champions league or FIFA world cup. But one thing I know is ... I am big fan of the super eagles. I try my best not miss their matches. Her encounter with France was of no exception...4days ago I sat glued to a Tv set for more that 90 minutes hoping and praying we would win that game. But alas we were beating 2-0 ... 2 freaking zero... till today those goals keep replaying in my head. *arrggghhh*. I had two option, to either feel bad for our failure or to see this as one of my numerous learning opportunities and instead focus on deriving insight and inspiration from this depressing encounter. Alas I chose the latter. Below are really key lessons I relearned from that encounter .

The point is

#Mathew Briggs

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by usermane(m): 5:52am On Jul 07, 2014
Yobo 's case is one that he 'll always remember. He was the one demanding for appearance fee at the beggining of the tournament but at the end he rounded up with an own goal.
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by emmabest2000(m): 6:09am On Jul 07, 2014
ezeonline2: World Cup, Super eagles players
were
so ashamed of their great failure that
they
decided to disguise themselves so as
not
to be recognised...
Mikel disguised himself as a monk.
While
walking on the streets of Lagos,
suddenly, an old lady walked up to him
&
said,
"Hi, Mikel!" Amazed & annoyed that an
old
Lady had seen through his disguise, he
went back home & dressed like a
malam.
Again he bumped into the same old
lady &
she said: "How do you do, Mikel?"
Confused & puzzled, he asked, "but
how
did you recognise me Mama?" The old
lady
laughed out loud & said,
"are you silly or what? oloshi. Its me,
Victor Moses.""
I dey for mama bike back seat , wake me up when you finished , Babatunde ! tongue

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 07, 2014
LajaLaba: @Nicepoker youngice Alexsmith20 tsolz84 ;i;LajaLaba;i am more dumber than u guys i quoted grin watch it
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by NjaPrince(m): 7:44am On Jul 07, 2014
@OP
France was just lucky...
France was lucky that our goal was disallowed.
France was luck Onazi was taken out.
France was lucky the ref couldn't find the red card.
France was lucky...
Nigeria was equally lucky because we were not humiliated by the Germans. Hmmm, them for do us strong thing.
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:09am On Jul 07, 2014
favouryemmy:

He's a bit right, but not completely. Their major strategy was to eliminate SE Engine room, the man Onazi. It was only after they eliminated him that they were able to play their game. I tell you if Onazi was there, SE would have scored the 1st goal even after the 'offside' goal.
u are right man, Onazi is just our midfield engine
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by MightyFortress: 8:53am On Jul 07, 2014
Real food for thought.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arsenal Agree £50 Million Deal For Brighton Defender, Ben White / Saudi Pro League Picks Emenalo As First Director Of Football / Amusan Wins 2023 Diamond League Trophy, Her Third Consecutive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.