Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France (18611 Views)

Nigeria 2 : 1 England : FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup (FULL TIME) / Japan Vs Nigeria (2 - 0): Int'l Women Friendly On Sunday September 22 2013 / Nigeria (2) Vs Tunisia (2) on Sunday 6th September (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Matthewbriggs(m): 12:29pm On Jul 05, 2014
I may not be a sports fanatic, or follow closely the exploits of the likes of messi and rolnaldo or understand the schematics of the UEFA champions league or FIFA world cup. But one thing I know is ... I am big fan of the super eagles. I try my best not miss their matches. Her encounter with France was of no exception...4days ago I sat glued to a Tv set for more that 90 minutes hoping and praying we would win that game. But alas we were beating 2-0 ... 2 freaking zero... till today those goals keep replaying in my head. *arrggghhh*. I had two option, to either feel bad for our failure or to see this as one of my numerous learning opportunities and instead focus on deriving insight and inspiration from this depressing encounter. Alas I chose the latter. Below are really key lessons I relearned from that encounter .

In the first half we played strong, we shook their defense, we had more ball possession, nearly 80% of people I communicated with during the early phase of the match were positive we would win... but alas with several minute into the second half and few minutes to go, our hopes of moving to the quarter finals were dashed with 2 goals. What surprised me was not the two goals we conceded but France's strategy... It occurred to me that they had been conserving their energy for the latter part of the match, they also tricked us to underestimate them by not coming on strong. At the same time building a very strong defense, so even though we had more ball possession we couldn't score. Now with few minutes to go they started playing with more energy and vigor, their performance and speed increased.

To my surprise France started playing world class football, there passes became more sharper, at this juncture our players were already tired plus they were taken unawares by the spike in France performance level given that the French had physiologically made them to underestimate them. I believe France adopted this strategy after watching our march with Argentina paying more attention to how fast we equalized. They knew that they stood a higher chance to score a goal at the tail end of the march leaving the super eagles with no time to equalize after having noticed that we always wear out during the ending period of a match.

The strategy was simple Take them by surprise and never give them room to recover. On understanding this I smiled and gave a standing ovation for France.

The point is
To win you need a strategy not just any strategy a brilliant strategy : We all want to win in life, Win that juicy promotion, Win that scholarship opportunity, Win the heart of the love of our life. we all want to succeed in life ... but have you sat down to build a winning strategy. How you intend to get from where you are to where you want to be, have your understudied your opponents, the risks and challenges you would face on the way and have you built a contingency plan, or do you just live life by chance, moving towards any direction the wind of life pushes you to.

You want to excel, who do you need to know, what role are they going to play in your life at what time, what knowledge and insight do you require to get there, what steps are you making to reach for stars. What strategy are you building to outsmart your stumbling blocks.

As you build your strategy Stick this into your head, "Brain will always win over might" Just like France beat us using their brain over our might. So it is in life. Design a brilliant strategy that is focused on working smarter instead of harder... As a popular saying goes..." If na by muscle bricklayer for become billionaire " ... Never forget that Smart people never stay poor.

The most important battles are fought in the mind: When France gave us the first goal. I could feel how demoralized our players were, they lost their cool and their performance dwindled... It was evident the French didn't just score they damaged their psyche. It was evident our players lost hope... they didn't believe they could equalize. This was evident in the way Osaze carelessly left the ball to go offside which eventually lead to the second goal.

The point is there will be moments in life where your faith will be tested, Where you will be put through fire & brimstone. Where the light at the end of the tunnel instead of getting brighter will shut right in your face. You'll feel like there is no need to hope again. In moments like this, It is very crucial you never say never, hope again, never stop believing in miracles, never give up. Because the moment you stop believing, in that same moment you fail before even failing.

If possible reach for greatness let your set back inspire you and drive you. Let it make you better. The good thing with this approach is that even if you eventually fail ... You would've have failed with class. Something we did during our encounter with Argentina... We lost by one goal but we still applauded them because they fought to the end... the played good football throughout.

Finally it not about how you start but how you end. The end RESULTS is all that matter in life no one freaking cares about how hard you've toiled, how many attempts or shot you made to achieve success, How you started brilliantly all they care about is results, end results.

It is evident that 70% of the time we played good football, we had more possession ... we dribbled we were on point but at the end we lost and we lost woefully, we made terrible mistakes. That is all we remember.. the mistakes, Yobo's own goal, Mikels poor performance, Osaze's misjudgement, Enyema's poor judgment that lead to the goals.

The world celebrate heroes, they celebrate winners, They never give f*uk about failures... do whatever it takes that is just and within the confines of your conscience ... to freaking succeed.
In all be smart and NEVER SAY NEVER.

#Mathew Briggs

118 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Smartsyn(m): 12:40pm On Jul 05, 2014
I hear you sir....

but what did there defeat to Germany last night taught you?

22 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by sKeetz(m): 12:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
Smartsyn: I hear you sir....

but what did there defeat to Germany last night taught you?

shocked

20 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by jotey(m): 12:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
Matthew briggs: I may not be a sports fanatic, or follow closely the exploits of the likes of messi and rolnaldo or understand the schematics of the UEFA champions league or FIFA world cup. But one thing I know is ... I am big fan of the super eagles. I try my best not miss their matches. Her encounter with France was of no exception... I sat glued to a Tv set for more that 90 minutes hoping and praying we would win that game. But alas we were beating 2-0 ... 2 freaking zero... till today those goals keep replaying in my head. *arrggghhh*. I had two option, to either feel bad for our failure or to see this as one of my numerous learning opportunities and instead focus on deriving insight and inspiration from this depressing encounter. Alas I chose the latter. Below are really key lessons I relearned from that encounter .

In the first half we played strong, we shook their defense, we had more ball possession, nearly 80% of people I communicated with during the early phase of the match were positive we would win... but alas with several minute into the second half and few minutes to go, our hopes of moving to the quarter finals were dashed with 2 goals. What surprised me was not the two goals we conceded but France's strategy... It occurred to me that they had been conserving their energy for the latter part of the match, they also tricked us to underestimate them by not coming on strong. At the same time building a very strong defense, so even though we had more ball possession we couldn't score. Now with few minutes to go they started playing with more energy and vigor, their performance and speed increased.

To my surprise France started playing world class football, there passes became more sharper, at this juncture our players were already tired plus they were taken unawares by the spike in France performance level given that the French had physiologically made them to underestimate them. I believe France adopted this strategy after watching our march with Argentina paying more attention to how fast we equalized. They knew that they stood a higher chance to score a goal at the tail end of the march leaving the super eagles with no time to equalize after having noticed that we always wear out during the ending period of a match.

The strategy was simple Take them by surprise and never give them room to recover. On understanding this I smiled and gave a standing ovation for France.

The point is
To win you need a strategy not just any strategy a brilliant strategy : We all want to win in life, Win that juicy promotion, Win that scholarship opportunity, Win the heart of the love of our life. we all want to succeed in life ... but have you sat down to build a winning strategy. How you intend to get from where you are to where you want to be, have your understudied your opponents, the risks and challenges you would face on the way and have you built a contingency plan, or do you just live life by chance, moving towards any direction the wind of life pushes you to.

You want to excel, who do you need to know, what role are they going to play in your life at what time, what knowledge and insight do you require to get there, what steps are you making to reach for stars. What strategy are you building to outsmart your stumbling blocks.

As you build your strategy Stick this into your head, "Brain will always win over might" Just like France beat us using their brain over our might. So it is in life. Design a brilliant strategy that is focused on working smarter instead of harder... As a popular saying goes..." If na by muscle bricklayer for become billionaire " ... Never forget that Smart people never stay poor.

The most important battles are fought in the mind: When France gave us the first goal. I could feel how demoralized our players were, they lost their cool and their performance dwindled... It was evident the French didn't just score they damaged their psyche. It was evident our players lost hope... they didn't believe they could equalize. This was evident in the way Osaze carelessly left the ball to go offside which eventually lead to the second goal.

The point is there will be moments in life where your faith will be tested, Where you will be put through fire & brimstone. Where the light at the end of the tunnel instead of getting brighter will shut right in your face. You'll feel like there is no need to hope again. In moments like this, It is very crucial you never say never, hope again, never stop believing in miracles, never give up. Because the moment you stop believing, in that same moment you fail before even failing.

If possible reach for greatness let your set back inspire you and drive you. Let it make you better. The good thing with this approach is that even if you eventually fail ... You would've have failed with class. Something we did during our encounter with Argentina... We lost by one goal but we still applauded them because they fought to the end... the played good football throughout.

Finally it not about how you start but how you end. The end RESULTS is all that matter in life no one freaking cares about how hard you've toiled, how many attempts or shot you made to achieve success, How you started brilliantly all they care about is results, end results.

It is evident that 70% of the time we played good football, we had more possession ... we dribbled we were on point but at the end we lost and we lost woefully, we made terrible mistakes. That is all we remember.. the mistakes, Yobo's own goal, Mikels poor performance, Osaze's misjudgement, Enyema's poor judgment that lead to the goals.

The world celebrate heroes, they celebrate winners, They never give f*uk about failures... do whatever it takes that is just and within the confines of your conscience ... to freaking succeed.
In all be smart and NEVER SAY NEVER.

#Mathew Briggs
guy we need people like you 4 aso rock so DAT we go fit fight tackle boko haram with your strategies

6 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Matthewbriggs(m): 5:06pm On Jul 05, 2014
jotey: guy we need people like you 4 aso rock so DAT we go fit fight tackle boko haram with your strategies

Boko haram na another ball game altogether. Terrorism can be contained but not entirely eliminated.

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by jotey(m): 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
Matthew briggs:

Boko haram na another ball game altogether. Terrorism can be contained but not entirely eliminated.
why not

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by ezeonline2(m): 5:45pm On Jul 05, 2014
World Cup, Super eagles players
were
so ashamed of their great failure that
they
decided to disguise themselves so as
not
to be recognised...
Mikel disguised himself as a monk.
While
walking on the streets of Lagos,
suddenly, an old lady walked up to him
&
said,
"Hi, Mikel!" Amazed & annoyed that an
old
Lady had seen through his disguise, he
went back home & dressed like a
malam.
Again he bumped into the same old
lady &
she said: "How do you do, Mikel?"
Confused & puzzled, he asked, "but
how
did you recognise me Mama?" The old
lady
laughed out loud & said,
"are you silly or what? oloshi. Its me,
Victor Moses.""

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
Matthew briggs, u may not know football and its leagues but what you said proved you are a tactician.You are right

4 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Qoaki3k: 1:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
it could be....
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Beehshorp(m): 3:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
ow did dis poo mk fp nd ol ma threads did nat make fp

Seun diaris God oh

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Cutesexy1(f): 3:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
seen
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
In summary,brain over brawl..Life isn't by muscle..Work smart,rather than work hard. Above all,God's grace is all we need to excel..Messi isn't the only footballer,but grace made him exceptional..we shall all encounter God's grace in our endeavours in life.

9 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Yungwizzzy28(m): 3:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Alright, so come take the job from keshi
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by hensben(m): 3:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
as if the france still dey the tournament with their brilliant strategy.

its football n not mathematics that we solve in school so, anything can happen.

nigerians! we should learn how to move on and plan for the next tournament instead of murmuring about the past.

2 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Guykhena(m): 3:15pm On Jul 06, 2014
Strategy? You really think so?
The SE team clearly lacked focus,,,,they were in their own world that day..

Btw, who are these jobless prickss above me?

3 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by AMINDA: 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
papiforreal:

guy i pray may thunder fire you for this nonses
Between the both of you,I don't know who deserves to be 'fired' by thunder.

5 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Solodegreat24(m): 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2014
Nice wrt up
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by hannne(f): 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2014
Matthew brings.....king of epistles.u always learn something from everything.dats a good quality.i love dat.will try learn dat

BTW,wats wrong with d guy putting long dots.na wah u o.hope u are not mentally deranged.attention seeking teenager.if i had a supernatural power,u wuld have received a slap whereever u are now for this display of stupidity.#nonsense nd alacrity#.d guy jus dey vex me

4 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by bright007(f): 3:30pm On Jul 06, 2014
@OP: Well i commend you for being patriotic but i beg to differ from your opinion.
There is no such strategy as conserving your energy till the last few minutes before you start playing well in football. What if the offside goal was allowed to stand?
After watching that match the only strategy i saw in the french team was to injure our irreplaceable players thereby giving them room to dominate
.This was very evident after Onazi was injured and stretched out.
It was then Mikel Obi's ineptitude became glaring and we finally gave in to pressure when Enyeama made a blatant error....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by alotofgrace(m): 3:43pm On Jul 06, 2014
embarassed

i still wonder y we compare 9ja that plays football to countries that study football

angry
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by yuzjet(m): 3:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
@OP, am inspired. But France should av also had a master plan for the German Machines. All the same, it's good to learn in everything. Thumb up to u @OP!!! For SE, we will get there someday. Hope for #Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
Lord remember France is a country of sin,dey started the French kiss, make them pay becos of dat in Jesus name
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by Ishowdels(m): 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
Cutesexy1: seen

Analyse the match @cutesexy1
Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by championeh(m): 3:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
This guy putting dots, you get sense so? Your younger ones are building mansions, you are stealing their Nails.
Psheew.

2 Likes

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by AdoOloro(m): 4:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
Most of our players had women mentality. They give up too easily. Since Keshi took over, all you need to do to demoralise the S.E team is score them once. They all start looking at the opponents' legs admiring their shining boots.

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France by searay(m): 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Germany Vs Argentina Who Is Your Man Of The Match?? / Ahmed Musa's Quick Brace Ends Leicester's 10 Away Games Without A Win / Patrice Evra Retires From Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.