Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors (23880 Views)

FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors / Vice-chancellors Of Nigeria Universities (photos) / Federal Universities Should Re-open - Pro-chancellors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 10:40am On Jul 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

I'm not proffemi....but to answer your question,in 2009,ASUU signed an agreement with the Govt in which N3trillion was promised.Fast forward to 2013 ,and ASUU discovered that the money was not paid. They then went on strike....and the Govt eventually told them the truth.....they could not afford N3trillion,but N1 trillion over 5years was offered instead. ASUU reluctantly agreed, and the deal was struck.

In other words.....the money OAU,and other individual universities would have gotten out of that N3trillion was reduced by 2/3rds.

VC's saw the writing on the wall....and fee increases was the result.

If we had the money.....N3trillion won't have been much problem.....but we don't (and that is partly why i suspect GEJ wanted to remove fuel subsidy....to get more funds for the treasury).
No no no. ASUU's demand is out of it o. That's another thing. Mind you, if your analysis is correct, it means our management didn't receive anything from FG until 2013, after the strike. I don't think so.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 07, 2014
MOBBDEEP:
Sir, I did say that our education-tuition system needs re-evaluation & I quite agree values +quality results comes with some significant inputs/costs.
But then, increasing the tuition-fee to the heavens, especially without addressing the means of its judicious use will only make us witness more rot.

By the way Sir, do you know that > 90% of Nigerians MOST LIKELY leave below 1M per annum?
As at the time my dad retired as a GL 16/17 sec-schl principal ( now, this msn should actually be a senior citizen ), I don't think his annual salary was up to 2.5M!!!
How do you think he would be able to send his 4-7 children to schools this one that we are looking at 2M tuition fee for engineeringscholars?
May be by the combination of both alternatively deferring of studentship while taking turns at family/home front!!!!

Sorry to but in....but to answer your question,there is an interesting proposal which may make both fee increases bearable for poor students.

(Below quote taken from Funding Nigeria’s Undergraduate University Education by Ife Adebayo. Source: http://www.ifeadebayo.com/funding-nigerias-undergraduate-university-education/ )

Tuition Fees:

Based on fees charged by private universities in Nigeria I have set a base amount that should enable universities to provide good enough lecture theatres, hostel accommodation, restaurants and canteens, road and transport infrastructure, examination halls and acceptable research and computer facilities to be an average of N300,000 per student per year. Universities should be given the freedom to set their fees up to a maximum of N300,000 per student.

For ease of calculation I will work with a number of 1,000,000 Nigerian undergraduate students. If each student pays N300,000, the total cost to educate our current undergraduates per year will be N300 billion per year. For a country where fuel subsidy payments skyrocketed from less than N300billion to N1.3trillion naira per year in 2 years with no explanation, a country where one individual steals N2 billion naira of government funds and is allowed to walk free, I believe we can afford to spend N300,000 billion per year on educating our youth.

To fund the schools at a rate of N300,000 per student the government should make the funds available to each student in 3 different ways:

Interest Free Loans – Each student that has gotten an admission can apply for a loan to cover tuition fees from government. For an average 4 year course each student that receives a loan will have a total debt of N1.2 million on graduation.
Individual Payments – If your parents can afford the fees or if you can afford the fees yourself and want to avoid piling up debts then you can choose to pay your fees yourself like many are already doing in private universities. With the promise of better education in public schools many Nigerian parents will actually be ready to pay these fees. Our public universities currently have the ability to be better than most of the private universities that we have if they are well funded.
Grants and Scholarships – Students with exceptional skills such as academic or sporting skills can be granted scholarships by private institutions, government, NGOs and the universities themselves. To qualify for the scholarships there must be set benchmarks that you must meet and surpass.

An improved standard at our universities means we will have more foreigners, especially Africans, applying to study in Nigerian Universities. This can be a huge source of foreign exchange earnings for the country. The universities should be allowed to set the tuition fees for international students as they see fit.

Repayment:

Studies have shown that there is a strong correlation between improved higher education and economic growth. It is therefore safe to assume that better higher education means a better economy and means graduates have more job opportunities after school and also are able to earn more.

[b]While applying for admission into University each student should be given a unique ID. This unique ID will be used after university for getting an NYSC discharge or exemption certificate and also used after NYSC to get a job. On getting a job each employee is naturally set-up with a tax payment number, this is how the loans system should also be set-up and the required repayment should be deducted from salary at source just like taxes are.

When an individual starts to earn above N200,000 per month (total earnings) the student must start to repay the loans by having 10% of salary deducted from source just as taxes are deducted. If we can give 10% of our salaries to pastors to buy private jets monthly it is fair to give that much to pay for a good education.

Paying N20,000 monthly it will take 5 years (60months) to repay a loan of N1.2million. Naturally you would expect the individual’s salary to increase in that period and so monthly repayment also increases which means the repayment period will actually be shorter. This is fair enough in my opinion.[/b]

I hope this answers your question.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh:
No no no. ASUU's demand is out of it o. That's another thing. Mind you, if your analysis is correct, it means our management didn't receive anything from FG until 2013, after the strike. I don't think so.

They did.....the N3trillion was extra....and was meant to have been paid since 2009. The fact that it was not paid is one of the many reasons why ASUU went on strike in the first place.

The N3trillion was largely meant for facilities.(see ASUU-FG 2009 agreement, chapter 4....where it was proposed to spend 1.6 trillion of that money in 2 years for federal universities ,with the remainder to go to state universities....at A rate of 3.6 MILLION naira per student)

Once the Govt said that the N3trillion was not possible......they made the fee rises inevitable.

In my own opinion, if we want to keep fees low.....the fuel subsidy must go.....or we increase education's part of the budget to 26%

ASUU-FG agreement is online. Google will help
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by MOBBDEEP: 11:11am On Jul 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Sorry to but in....but to answer your question,there is an interesting proposal which may make both fee increases bearable for poor students.

(Below quote taken from Funding Nigeria’s Undergraduate University Education by Ife Adebayo. Source: http://www.ifeadebayo.com/funding-nigerias-undergraduate-university-education/ )

Paying N20,000 monthly it will take 5 years (60months) to repay a loan of N1.2million. Naturally you would expect the individual’s salary to increase in that period and so monthly repayment also increases which means the repayment period will actually be shorter. This is fair enough in my opinion.[/b][/i]

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you Sir.
I quite identify with your line of thought.
But then, I mentioned in my previous posts that some universities ( especially state-owned ) are already paying close to this amount but then!, they exhibit more rot & no result.

You know Sir that focusing on the funding is a wrong way of solving the myriad of problems affecting the productivity, value-adding status & resourcefulness of our tertiary institutions.
Yes, the system will work ( increasing the fee to REASONABLE & OPTIMAL amount while creating a system for the less-affordables ). But ONLY where sanity, accountability & judicial principles rule!!!
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Abraham2013(m): 1:13pm On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens:

Its been very sensible and realistic... Countries that are not as rich as Nigeria are doing it so why can't Nigeria do it.

Future generations would benefit from this.. Most of the politicians today had free education when Nigeria depended solely on agriculture.

If u continue supporting wicked motives I'll classify you a political bigot and b:itch.
Wat ever u classify me as does not affect my salary. However coming 2 ur comment, let me ask u a question, a country u makes $100 a month n has 10 people to feed and a country who makes $200 a month and has 500 people to feed, who is richer?
Also wat was d population of nigeria wen those politicians had free education?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Abraham2013(m): 1:19pm On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens:

My argument was with Abraham2013 but since u getting head over heels with yourself..... U're welcome..

Here are some countries:

Argentina
Greece
Denmark
Brazil
Sweden
Finland
Norway.

To mention a few
R u aware dat nigeria is more populated dan all dis countries u just mentioned put 2geda?
Look don't be deceived by 2006 census cos personally I was not counted n l was in d university den. Even as of 2006 nigeria was more dan d 150million as was reported. So my dear b4 u start comparing, u hav to put some factors into consideration.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by JoeCutie(m): 1:24pm On Jul 07, 2014
They are all sick down there. undecided
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by athorello(m): 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2014
Ok.... we should pay tuition fee... mind you, taught msc in the universities/colleges we want to copy ranges 4-10million naira and i want to believe 80% of our parents/guardians can afford it..... LMAO
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by olajide8(m): 11:00am On Jul 08, 2014
IGBOPRESIDENT: Fellow Nigerians youths, it is hightime we left the media war and take this battle to the streets. These criminals in power have compromised our security agencies with money so that when we try to revolt, the revolution will come to naught. We need to do something fast. We need to talk sense into the military boys, the captains and the majors; these are the category of military personnel who spearhead a coup. The top brass military chiefs cannot 'engage'. But we must be ready not to fear oppression when it comes. Remember that in any people who keep silent in the face of tyranny, the man dies. Things will keep being this way if all we do is rant on social media. If you want justice and fairness and an egalitarian society, you must be ready for a bloody revolution. All the great countries of the world had a bloody revolution in order to become truly great, away from the stench of corruption and injustice. And prominent among them is the French Revolution and American Revolution. Let this be a clarion call to you. Evil persists in a society because of the silence of good men. Always bear it in mind that change can never come without 'struggle', and this struggle will become successful only through the spilling of blood which is the ultimate sacrifice. To save Nigeria from the morass into which it has fallen is a sacred trust and a call to greatness. Let's raise an army of revolutionaries today!
We don't need to take it t the streets all we need to do is make sure we get our voters card and vote another party- even if its just for 4years another acronym different from PDP- that's all!!!
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by olajide8(m): 11:01am On Jul 08, 2014
IGBOPRESIDENT: Fellow Nigerians youths, it is hightime we left the media war and take this battle to the streets. These criminals in power have compromised our security agencies with money so that when we try to revolt, the revolution will come to naught. We need to do something fast. We need to talk sense into the military boys, the captains and the majors; these are the category of military personnel who spearhead a coup. The top brass military chiefs cannot 'engage'. But we must be ready not to fear oppression when it comes. Remember that in any people who keep silent in the face of tyranny, the man dies. Things will keep being this way if all we do is rant on social media. If you want justice and fairness and an egalitarian society, you must be ready for a bloody revolution. All the great countries of the world had a bloody revolution in order to become truly great, away from the stench of corruption and injustice. And prominent among them is the French Revolution and American Revolution. Let this be a clarion call to you. Evil persists in a society because of the silence of good men. Always bear it in mind that change can never come without 'struggle', and this struggle will become successful only through the spilling of blood which is the ultimate sacrifice. To save Nigeria from the morass into which it has fallen is a sacred trust and a call to greatness. Let's raise an army of revolutionaries today!
We don't need to take it t the streets all we need to do is make sure we get our voters card and vote another party- even if its just for 4years another acronym different from PDP- that's all!!! if we take it to the streets soldiers that are supposed to be sent to sambisa forest would use us as testing practice* and if we do succeed we may end up like libya no head no tail*
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by does3(m): 8:54pm On Jul 08, 2014
Pls when is the the best time to change course in a university
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Odunukwe30: 6:11pm On Jan 19, 2015
Law project materials or good topics are hard to come by. this one come with full citations of cases and much more.
you can educate your self if you are not a lawyer, view to get topics you want no matter your discipline
This is a Law thesis, project report but everyone needs to take a look
Political Parties and the Right to Choose Candidates -the Nigerian Experience
click..
http://uniprojectsearch.com/political-part…ian-experience/
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Oraeri30: 2:39pm On Jan 29, 2015
Make sure you don't pay that school fees extra time
www.uniprojectsearch.com has first class project topic and material for every department
check out this on philosophy
http://uniprojectsearch.com/happiness-philosophy-higgins/
Happiness in the Philosophy of Higgins

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ASUU Appeals Ruling, Says FG Has Declared War / Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello As LASU VC: Lagos Indigenes Allege Marginalisation / Boy Rescued After Being Thrown Away For Being A "Witch" Starts School

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.