Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors (23879 Views)

FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors / Vice-chancellors Of Nigeria Universities (photos) / Federal Universities Should Re-open - Pro-chancellors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Surely001(m): 12:20am On Jul 07, 2014
Abeg!!! May dem wait make I grad first.......
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by sean079: 12:24am On Jul 07, 2014
obeski13: Its unfortunate that a lot of people advocating for d introduction of school fees are ignorant of d way economies of those countries who charges school fees are structured.in nigeria only less than 20% of income earners earn wages or salaries that is commensurate with d economic situation.i.e what is earned as minimum wage is barely a living wage.whereas in those countries they mentioned what people earn is in tandem wit d economic situation.what social services that are suppose to be free or subsidized that we dont pay for here.is it d inflated electrity bill that we pay for without even having d light,not mentioning petrol we buy to power ou generator.is it water that we provide for ourselves,or d street roads that most residents contribute money to make it motorable.what is govt subsiding for d citizens.it is only in nigeria that u pay house rent of a yr in advance.is it food that is subsidize?in those countries mentioned govt subsidize food, people dont av to generate their energy or water.house rent is monthly or weekly..is it not frm dis meagre amt that over 70% of income earners will want to provide all dis services.what will be d function of govt then?people are already overburdened.any call for fees introduction is an act of evil and wickedness.

Egbon, thank you for dis simple analysis. citizen of dos coun3 dat are paying for uni edu are dos dat are really academic incline not because of means of livelihood lyk what we av in naija. ppl struggles in2 all dis uni cos dey want gud life in naija. moreso just a yr r two yrs employment engagemt will pay all dis fees in dos coun3. so overdere u c ppl making moni, living gud life n dem no send any yauyau uni edu. let dem stop corruptn so dis cash can circulate everyone. den u c any1 dat want uni edu can go ahead get it but greedyness n lootin won't let dem do d ryt fin. make unah just check d worth of all dis politician n compare to deir counterpart where dey re paying high for uni edu

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 12:24am On Jul 07, 2014
Samakinr:
....that's the truth bro. My own father was a retired headmaster, but he managed to send 2 children to medical school, one for pharmacy, and another for English art. Thanks be to OAU, which made if affordable. That was obviously the only value i have from this nation (and i appreciate it)....but why then shouldn't i be at the fore front of campaigning for an affordable education,

My Father is nt a millionaire and he isn't a poor man either yet I know what it cost him and my mom to put my siblings and I through school,I will nt only campaign for affordable educatn,I will also campaign for quality educatn,its nt rocket science,our leaders are only being selfish or lazy.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by obeski13(m): 12:50am On Jul 07, 2014
sean079:

Egbon, thank you for dis simple analysis. citizen of dos coun3 dat are paying for uni edu are dos dat are really academic incline not because of means of livelihood lyk what we av in naija. ppl struggles in2 all dis uni cos dey want gud life in naija. moreso just a yr r two yrs employment engagemt will pay all dis fees in dos coun3. so overdere u c ppl making moni, living gud life n dem no send any yauyau uni edu. let dem stop corruptn so dis cash can circulate everyone. den u c any1 dat want uni edu can go ahead get it but greedyness n lootin won't let dem do d ryt fin. make unah just check d worth of all dis politician n compare to deir counterpart where dey re paying high for uni edu
i totally agree with u.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Olusanya333(m): 1:54am On Jul 07, 2014
Its nt a must i go to school
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Lenzz(m): 2:32am On Jul 07, 2014
mannyiyke: U're even d one dat has a warped mentality. I support Appartheist's points 100 percent. We've oil; we've it all, yet nothing is moving fine. It seems we're cursed with bad leaders whom u support foolishly with ur nonsensical argument dat doesn't hold water!

With d exception of where iwonbaoko used offensive words, he is very much on point! This country needs massive surgery. Granted the political structure needs an overhaul, that doesn't in anyway diminish the fact that our Education system and its funding is a total joke. I submit to Tuition fees if it will equate to the standards elsewhere.

The current structure is a sham. Tertiary education is a massive project and must be treated as such
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by musiwa92: 2:36am On Jul 07, 2014
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by rman: 4:35am On Jul 07, 2014
I'm with Iwonbaoko on this.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 4:42am On Jul 07, 2014
manutdadex: u don graduate abi? No wonda u fit get mouth talk..think abt d woman who sells bolli and groundnut on d street b4 u open ur mouth here! If dem try am...na me dey pay my skool fees o...make dem no smoke ciga for fillin station o

The problem is that the groundnut seller's son is already disadvantaged.

Removing subsides from uni education(which allows fees to rise) and investing the saved money in pry,sec and technical education could allow your poor groundnut seller's son to get quality education......and get a good job without having to go to university.

If he so wishes to go to university......he then gets merit based loans and scholarships to help fund his stay.

If we continue to subsidize university education......your poor groundnut seller's son will get a poor university education (because of lack of facilities due to the fact that govt does not have the money to fund universities adequately.....which is what they told ASUU last year....and removing corruption won't change that)....and when he starts looking for jobs.....he will lose out to rich Nigerians who graduated from better foreign universities in the job race.

I conclude by strongly urging you to read this document (published in 2011)....Education in Nigeria; the way forward (link here : http://www.scribd.com/doc/79378074/Education-in-Nigeria).

Read also here: http://www.ifeadebayo.com/funding-nigerias-undergraduate-university-education/
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by yinka500: 5:37am On Jul 07, 2014
to me as a person it is a very good idea and I support the motion. Because a lot are meant to be done to make our education level to go far...I hope it works out with the level of poverty if nigeria.

I got this infor for NLD applicants.
SCREENING OF CANDIDATES FOR ADMISSION

1. The University of Ibadan, Ibadan, hereby requests all candidates who made the University their Institution of choice and scored 200 or above in the 2014 UTME Examination to submit their bio-data and SSCE, WAEC/NECO results ONLINE through http://www.admissions.ui.edu.ng on or before Monday, 21 July, 2014.

For you regsitartion you can visit us @Delayus shop, opposite ui gate. Or call: 08101352928 yinka
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 07, 2014
By nature human beings compare themselves to others. No one wants to feel inferior or cheated.Take my young lad you place a plate of food in front of him and what does he do ,eat? No! he starts looking to see what everyone else has got. OH his big brother has "TWO MEAT" why does he have "ONE MEAT" and so he starts Aluta, at that age imagine!! His mothers say "sorry" she carries the food to the kitchen takes the meat and cuts it into four pieces and returns it to him he is placated,smug even.He starts taunting his big brother . That is the story of our young people who want to have DEGREES "by force" and so now you have 1000 students occupying what was designed for 50-100. They come out with degrees but will soon realize their degrees are not worth anything they have many pieces of "small meat". Protesting will not change much . If people protest too much government will just leave them with their extra meat illusion but the employers know better.

The rich people send their children abroad with some getting Masters degrees at the ages of 21 22 23. They have ONE MEAT but it is a very big one indeed. It is not a level playing field;most people are in the middle of snarling traffic whilst you have another lane like BRT lane for a few. Government alone cannot fund university education Even if government can only afford to pay for 50000 so be it let those 50000 be of the best quality,the biggest meat. This idea that it should be a free for all is simply not sustainable

3 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by otokx(m): 7:08am On Jul 07, 2014
Our politicians are no longer satisfied in looting the national treasury, they now want to personally destroy the educational future of the Nigerian masses. Government can afford to fund the universities and that is a statement of fact.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 7:18am On Jul 07, 2014
iwonbaoko: By nature human beings compare themselves to others. No one wants to feel inferior or cheated.Take my young lad you place a plate of food in front of him and what does he do ,eat? No! he starts looking to see what everyone else has got. OH his big brother has "TWO MEAT" why does he have "ONE MEAT" and so he starts Aluta, at that age imagine!! His mothers say "sorry" she carries the food to the kitchen takes the meat and cuts it into four pieces and returns it to him he is placated,smug even.He starts taunting his big brother...

Bravo brother, bravo.
I have enjoyed reading (almost) all of your posts on this issue. Going through Nairaland threads on matters that require critical analyses, one usually finds pre-adolescent-level reasoning. The few mature minds who visit (as I'm sure they do) seem not to even bother engaging. I am happy that this thread is different, and have enjoyed your input (as well as bushdoc99's).

The state of tertiary education in our country is a topic very dear to my heart, and I hope to find some time today to share a few words. Even if I can't however, I am confident that - with your excellent take on the matter - logic and commonsense have a worthy champion.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 07, 2014
HOW DOES THIS PROVIDE JOBS AFTER SCHOOL....Unwise FG and Greeedy Pro chancellors.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Reference(m): 7:48am On Jul 07, 2014
Apatheist:
LMAO.
Do you know they don't pay school fees in Finland?
Do you know they don't have oil? undecided

If we are to pay fees we should adopt the bursary and student loan system used in the USA.

What is the population of Finland and how many offspring does the average Finnish woman offload on government. For your information we are already paying for overstressing the system with poor quality, unemployable products, unnecessary post-graduate degrees and pre employment training. Demand is just outstripping supply so prices just have to go up. What pisses me off the most is that in terms of creativity, ideas, management skills, innovation, etc the universities have it in excess and beyond even government their paymasters. Why on earth haven't they been able to 'think' through this funding problem and postulate solutions. I'm certain that government is so fed up about universities that any proposal that lifts the yoke off its shoulders will be welcome even if it means total independence. Like someone said, 'it is highly abnormal for an adult graduate to feed off his poor father in the village.' In the universities with all the mental resources and still begging....haba.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Reference(m): 8:10am On Jul 07, 2014
iwonbaoko: By nature human beings compare themselves to others. No one wants to feel inferior or cheated.Take my young lad you place a plate of food in front of him and what does he do ,eat? No! he starts looking to see what everyone else has got. OH his big brother has "TWO MEAT" why does he have "ONE MEAT" and so he starts Aluta, at that age imagine!! His mothers say "sorry" she carries the food to the kitchen takes the meat and cuts it into four pieces and returns it to him he is placated,smug even.He starts taunting his big brother . That is the story of our young people who want to have DEGREES "by force" and so now you have 1000 students occupying what was designed for 50-100. They come out with degrees but will soon realize their degrees are not worth anything they have many pieces of "small meat". Protesting will not change much . If people protest too much government will just leave them with their extra meat illusion but the employers know better.

The rich people send their children abroad with some getting Masters degrees at the ages of 21 22 23. They have ONE MEAT but it is a very big one indeed. It is not a level playing field;most people are in the middle of snarling traffic whilst you have another lane like BRT lane for a few. Government alone cannot fund university education Even if government can only afford to pay for 50000 so be it let those 50000 be of the best quality,the biggest meat. This idea that it should be a free for all is simply not sustainable

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by peter4d2(m): 8:32am On Jul 07, 2014
iwonbaoko: By nature human beings compare themselves to others. No one wants to feel inferior or cheated.Take my young lad you place a plate of food in front of him and what does he do ,eat? No! he starts looking to see what everyone else has got. OH his big brother has "TWO MEAT" why does he have "ONE MEAT" and so he starts Aluta, at that age imagine!! His mothers say "sorry" she carries the food to the kitchen takes the meat and cuts it into four pieces and returns it to him he is placated,smug even.He starts taunting his big brother . That is the story of our young people who want to have DEGREES "by force" and so now you have 1000 students occupying what was designed for 50-100. They come out with degrees but will soon realize their degrees are not worth anything they have many pieces of "small meat". Protesting will not change much . If people protest too much government will just leave them with their extra meat illusion but the employers know better.

Like sum1 rightly said ur points n reasoning seem 2 b sound while sum pple believe anyfin dat is costly is gud n odas wuld argue against,tak 4 instance sum pple go 2 boutique n buy new clothes claiming its 1st grade but d truth of d matter sum dat r bin displayed by d way side might b better of d stores so cos if its abt hike in fees dat guarantees innovatn den I tink all d graduates of Harvard uni shuld b inventionist
u tlk abt artisan n technicians its interest n I culd bet u most don't aspire 2 bcum politicians but here in naija nobody is ready 2 bcum 2nd feeble 2 anybody. Going by ur ideal it still boils down 2 sacrifices wch both party involved r not ready 2 make but I think d responsibility of such still lies in d hands of fg dey r oda means of generating monie 4 dis con3 merge d two houses (senator/house of rep) @ least 5 per states dats his d sacrifice check hw much dat wuld save us enuff 2 spare 4 uni n oda ills in our dear con3.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 8:42am On Jul 07, 2014
@iwonbaoko, proffemi and others supporting this tuition fee introduction, the fact remains that government has more than enough funds to finance tertiary education fully without us paying a dime.
We were all in this country when the president himself confirmed that $20b was missing. Mind you, this is just a "token" out of what they loot every blessed day. They keep deceiving us with figures that are never real just to console us. It's high time we stood up and fight for our right.
If government refuses to fund education, what then will it do with our oil money? Build roads that it is already planning to also privatize and get more money to loot? Pls educate me.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 8:51am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh: @iwonbaoko, proffemi and others supporting this tuition fee introduction, the fact remains that government has more than enough funds to finance tertiary education fully without us paying a dime.
We were all in this country when the president himself confirmed that $20b was missing. Mind you, this is just a "token" out of what they loot every blessed day. They keep deceiving us with figures that are never real just to console us. It's high time we stood up and fight for our right.
If government refuses to fund education, what then will it do with our oil money? Build roads that it is already planning to also privatize and get more money to loot? Pls educate me.

How much is this "oil money" you guys keep talking about? If you need to be educated, why don't you do a Google search for the GDP of every big petroleum producer, and divide by their population??

The truth is that you guys CHOOSE not to see reason. You say "government has more than enough funds to finance tertiary education fully without us paying a dime". Since you're a university student, I expect you to provide the evidence to back this big claim. I will be disappointed if you are comfortable just making wild claims that you have no way of proving just because, well, it sounds cool.

Wake up bro, your country is not a rich as you think.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 8:52am On Jul 07, 2014
@iwonbaoko, too much people are after University degrees because there are no better alternatives. Our Polytechnics and Technical Colleges ain't doing fine, their graduates ain't encouraged. Government should put other alternatives in place and watch University aspirants decrease. Until then, if we allow them to take this away from us, it will end up being like the fuel subsidy removal - a big scam orchestrated to siphon public funds.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 07, 2014
Those who enjoyed free education, free employment offers, free healthcare, in their time now want our generation to pay with our blood to get the same opportunities they had had free of charge. Some of them were paid monthly allowance, even as they were enjoying free education. If citizens are asked to pay fees in federal universities, pay exhorbitantly for light, water, healthcare, etc, what then are the social responsibilities of government to the people? If stolen monies in Nigeria are agregated and put to use, it is possible to have an El Dorado in Nigeria where everything is free. The suggestion to introduce tuition fees in fed. universities is wicked and Boko Haramic. Those who muted that idea should be stoned.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 8:56am On Jul 07, 2014
iwonbaoko: I sympathize with your sentiment but I am disappointed with your resistance to logic. I want what is good for my country.It is to my advantage if the youth have a better deal but I will tell you a few things for free.Education is not all about going to university and even when university education was free (in the days of Segun Okeowo)and we were given free food and had cleaners come to clean our rooms etc it was not for everybody. Never was and never will be There was a limited supply of university places from day 1.

The starting point of educating any population is literacy. Free education upto secondary school is a fair contract with government. Even in America they will bargain with you to join the Army before they pay your tuition if you return from Kabul After secondary school if you join the police,customs civil service etc with O or A level you will get plenty of "education" during your career. Look at the biographies of our founding fathers or elders like Afe Babalola, Awo etc they did not get free university education many worked as clerks or with compnies like UAC
Looking at it from a national benefit perspective government should educate a population for reasons on national interest not idealism.The focus on university education does not help us if we have white men managing the National Assembly Complex,building our roads,bridges and other major civil engineering projects.More recently it is Chinese "engineers" . FYI most of these people are not graduates. Government needs to focus resources on skill acquisition not certificate acquisition. It has always been the case that Nigerians saw "education" in university as a gateway to a better life. Over the next 20 years there will be multiple opportunities in our power sector which is set to explode.Sadly all our graduate engineers are worse than useless and many of those jobs will go overseas. Many of these so called graduates got into university by fraud and often graduate by fraud. Without fear of contradiction I can assert anywhere that very few Nigerian graduates of today can write an essay comparable to a secondary school student in the 70s. Any so called education spending by goverment should focus on upgrading the skills of those MOST LIKELY to find employment and so government should not be paying for Law,Politics,Botany and all that nonsense.
In the oil sector today we have hundreds of Filipinos taking thousands of dollars monthly are they graduates? Even to be a "maritime cook" requires certification and we have White Cooks from France in our off-shore facilities on huge wages. Are they graduates? No one pays anybody for what they know but for what they do or can do.Skills skills skills. Whether it is truck driving or crane operation or deep water welding those are the areas where I believe government should put our scarce resources

Very strong points my brother,but I beg to differ a bit,u mentioned filipino cooks who aren't graduates and all d offshore thing,before they employed filipinos,didn't they see Nigerians, Nigerians with the same experience and certificatn wnt be given d treatment dis foreign ppl receive why?pls tell me...u mentioned chinese engineers and I ask myself how in d hell Lebanese and chinese engineers get to own constructn firms in dis country,mistreat their workers and get away it and on top of dt,get mouth watering contracts,its a ploy forr corruptn,I dnt think u reside in Nigeria,correct me if I am wrong,all thoose ppl clamouring for tuition dnt have wards in Nigerian schools,nt everyone needs a university degree u say,yet the gulf between a polytechnic certificate and university degree grows wider everyday,so my brother,all dis USA this,chinese dt won't work,d government allowed dis expatriates to come work here without considering our local content,look,u seem to av a bias against Nigerian graduates,u say our graduates are useless,so u think everyone who has a foreign degree is better than d Nigerian graduate,you are wrong,I strongly disagree and no matter how much you insult me,I will nt change my standpoint,so in ur mind,if tuition is introduced,university educatn becomes more expensive and way out of the rich of d common populace,d educational problem will be solved in this country and Nigeria will become a good place to live in?tuition will solve corruptn,tuition will enlighten our minds,tuition will make lecturers teach better,tuition will create jobs for graduates,tuition will stop government officials from receiving bribe,tuition will addreess the university and polytecchnic bias,I am nt sure you live in Nigeria and iif u are,well its a pity,Nigerian Universities still produce graduates that can compete anywhere in d world,why must the government sEe d imposition of fees as a way to beetter things...remember ETF that became TETFUND,look its beyond tuition,let our leaders stop making good governance about money,Nigeria isn't such a complex society.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 8:58am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh: ...Government should put other alternatives in place and watch University aspirants decrease...

Government should this, government should that.
This is a big part of our problem. We view government as this big Santa Claus that should do everything for us. I am not suggesting that government should not perform its role, but we are just too lazy and self-entitled as a people.

Take this education issue: government already spends a huge chunk educating you (there have been different figures thrown around as the average cost of educating a student. I have heard N2 million per annum, a figure that makes sense to me for an engineering course. However, if we go with LASG, it is allegedly N500k). How much do you pay for tuition currently? So you think government has not already done enough for you by paying the balance? What else would you want government to do for you? Change your diapers?

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 9:01am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

How much is this "oil money" you guys keep talking about? If you need to be educated, why don't you do a Google search for the GDP of every big petroleum producer, and divide by their population??

The truth is that you guys CHOOSE not to see reason. You say "government has more than enough funds to finance tertiary education fully without us paying a dime". Since you're a university student, I expect you to provide the evidence to back this big claim. I will be disappointed if you are comfortable just making wild claims that you have no way of proving just because, well, it sounds cool.

Wake up bro, your country is not a rich as you think.
How about the other parts of my post? At least $20b is more than all we pay as school fees, and that is just a "token" out of what we have (and what they loot).
We do not have up to 40 federal institutions in Nigeria. In fact, during the ASUU strike, we were made to realize that there were just 67 public Universities in Nigeria - federal and state Universities. If I'm not mistaken, $20b is not less than 3 trillion naira which they said was not available for ASUU the last time they went on strike.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Abraham2013(m): 9:04am On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens:

Shut up!!!

If 3 states is larger than Finland. Then u just answered Nigeria's problem... Most Nigerians know the problem but they don't want to face it. Sooner or later Nigerians will have no choice but to face it
Well if u tink dat d nigerian govt will provide quality education dan can compete wit d best in d world 4 free, den u r dreaming. D earlier u wake up, d beta 4 u.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 9:04am On Jul 07, 2014
ogtavia:

Very strong points my brother,but I beg to differ a bit,u mentioned filipino cooks who aren't graduates and all d offshore thing,before they employed filipinos,didn't they see Nigerians, Nigerians with the same experience and certificatn wnt be given d treatment dis foreign ppl receive why?pls tell me...u mentioned chinese engineers and I ask myself how in d hell Lebanese and chinese engineers get to own constructn firms in dis country,mistreat their workers and get away it and on top of dt,get mouth watering contracts,its a ploy forr corruptn,I dnt think u reside in Nigeria,correct me if I am wrong,all thoose ppl clamouring for tuition dnt have wards in Nigerian schools,nt everyone needs a university degree u say,yet the gulf between a polytechnic certificate and university degree grows wider everyday,so my brother,all dis USA this,chinese dt won't work,d government allowed dis expatriates to come work here without considering our local content,look,u seem to av a bias against Nigerian graduates,u say our graduates are useless,so u think everyone who has a foreign degree is better than d Nigerian graduate,you are wrong,I strongly disagree and no matter how much you insult me,I will nt change my standpoint,so in ur mind,if tuition is introduced,university educatn becomes more expensive and way out of the rich of d common populace,d educational problem will be solved in this country and Nigeria will become a good place to live in?tuition will solve corruptn,tuition will enlighten our minds,tuition will make lecturers teach better,tuition will create jobs for graduates,tuition will stop government officials from receiving bribe,tuition will addreess the university and polytecchnic bias,I am nt sure you live in Nigeria and iif u are,well its a pity,Nigerian Universities still produce graduates that can compete anywhere in d world,why must the government sEe d imposition of fees as a way to beetter things...remember ETF that became TETFUND,look its beyond tuition,let our leaders stop making good governance about money,Nigeria isn't such a complex society.

I am never one to criticize grammar in an online forum. However, I think the new chatting culture has ruined communication globally (not just in Nigeria). Take your post for example: I am struggling to get the gist of your post, but it's hard going.

Can I suggest you put a little more effort into making your posts easier to understand? Use paragraphs where necessary, and don't underestimate the value of the period (full stop).
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 9:07am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh:
How about the other parts of my post? At least $20b is more than all we pay as school fees, and that is just a "token" out of what we have (and what they loot). We do not have up to 40 federal institutions in Nigeria. In fact, during the ASUU strike, we were made to realize that there were just 67 public Universities in Nigeria - federal and state Universities. If I'm not mistaken, $20b is not less than 3 trillion naira which they said was not available for ASUU the last time they went on strike.

At the height of the SLS saga, I was one of those crying that it should not be swept under the rug IF $20 billion was missing. Do you know for a FACT that $20 billion was missing? I mean, I would be happy to believe that someone loaned N1B from my dad, and so, owes me that amount. But is it TRUE? We do first have to get to that point first.

Then, what makes you assume that if we had that money, it would all be dumped on education fiam?

Look, lets even forget all of that. What is so wrong in a man paying (A FRACTION!) for what he wants? Can you tell me what is wrong with that?

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Abraham2013(m): 9:12am On Jul 07, 2014
Greenified:
Over-population is not an excuse, what we ask for is not too much but simple and clear...
"We want to enjoy what our wicked leaders enjoyed too" #free education
Do u know how much it will take to provide American spec education 4 one person? I rather pay money n get quality education dat will be @ d same level wit dat of UK n america dan giv free n substandard education. Mind u education sector is not d only sector dat needs upgrading, dere is also health too which d FG needs to subsidize a lot of tins and invest heavily inorder to meet wit global standard.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Abraham2013(m): 9:14am On Jul 07, 2014
Greenified:
Over-population is not an excuse, what we ask for is not too much but simple and clear...
"We want to enjoy what our wicked leaders enjoyed too" #free education
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 9:19am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

Government should this, government should that.
This is a big part of our problem. We view government as this big Santa Claus that should do everything for us. I am not suggesting that government should not perform its role, but we are just too lazy and self-entitled as a people.

Take this education issue: government already spends a huge chunk educating you (there have been different figures thrown around as the average cost of educating a student. I have heard N2 million per annum, a figure that makes sense to me for an engineering course. However, if we go with LASG, it is allegedly N500k). How much do you pay for tuition currently? So you think government has not already done enough for you by paying the balance? What else would you want government to do for you? Change your diapers?
We clamour for government interventions because we pay taxes and we've not received anything significant in return. What do I say we get in return? Is it stable electricity? Infrastructures? Good health care services? No. But what they want now is to still withdraw the little we get from them instead of improving on it.

We have 67 public Universities, there are not-up-to-30,000 students in each, if it costs N500,000 per annum to cater for each student's tuition - excluding accomodation and feeding. If we calculate this in total, it results in N1.005 trillion. This is just a token out of the missing $20b. And pls, don't talk about our annual budget, it's not up to what they loot/mismanage in 6 months.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 9:24am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh:
We clamour for government interventions because we pay taxes and we've not received anything significant in return. What do I say we get in return? Is it stable electricity? Infrastructures? Good health care services? No. But what they want now is to still withdraw the little we get from them instead of improving on it.

Hahaha. So its taxes, eh? Can I ask you: how much taxes do you pay? For that matter, how much do your parents (or my parents) pay for taxes? It it up to the N500k you agree FGN spends on your education? What share of your taxes goes into funding heathcare? What share was used to tar the portion of the roads you ply?

Oh, right. Oil money will be used to supplement your taxes, right? Fact is, with respect to government, the average Nigerian is like someone who never put anything into a piggy bank, but wants to get money out of it. To the best of my knowledge, only Lagos State citizens pay any reasonable tax in Nigeria, and guess what, that same state has (arguably) the best infrastructure in Nigeria. Coincidence?

We have 67 public Universities, there are not-up-to-30,000 students in each, if it costs N500,000 per annum to cater for each student's tuition - excluding accomodation and feeding. If we calculate this in total, it results in N1.005 trillion. This is just a token out of the missing $20b. And pls, don't talk about our annual budget, it's not up to what they loot/mismanage in 6 months.

Good. But I still ask: what is so wrong in you paying a fraction of the value of something you get? Why go into permutations and hypothetical arguments just to avoid paying for what you get?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ASUU Appeals Ruling, Says FG Has Declared War / Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello As LASU VC: Lagos Indigenes Allege Marginalisation / Boy Rescued After Being Thrown Away For Being A "Witch" Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.